Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ELynah Chat

Posted by CowbellGuy 
ELynah Chat
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 03, 2009 02:54PM

Poll
Planning on using ELynah Chat?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
108 votes were received.
Yep 52

48%
I'd prefer to stick with IRC 0

0%
Nope 13

12%
I'll go wherever everyone else does 43

40%

I know I shouldn't be reinventing the wheel, but I wonder if the activation energy to get people unfamiliar with IRC into it is too high. So as a little experiment, I've set up a simple, web-based, Flash-free, Java-free chat server. Don't need to sign up or do anything special. Just pick a username and chat.

[chat.elynah.com]

(If it doesn't work yet, the domain name change probably hasn't propagated to you yet. Give it a couple hours.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 02:55PM by CowbellGuy.

Re: ELynah Chat
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 03, 2009 03:07PM

I would add a fourth poll option - "I don't particularly care which I use, but I'll go where the majority goes because that's where the good chat will be." Seriously, if everyone adopts this, I'll use it - if everyone stays on IRC, I'll use that.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 03, 2009 04:39PM

Mostly I'm with Beeeej. On the other hand, if we switch to an eLynah based chat then we can stop the endless bumping of chat threads.

Didn't we originally chat on Kyle's server (back in the CHDF days)?

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: November 03, 2009 04:50PM

I use to participate frequently in the ICQ chats but drifted away because I got lazy about the ICQ client and chasing down what channel was going to be used. I'm more apt to get involved again if chat is available right here.

Date: November 03, 2009 05:15PM

As an added bonus, if you're logged in here and use the Chat link in the menubar, it will automatically log you in with your ELF username.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2009 02:44AM

If it's right here it's more convenient than IRC so I'd go with it, though in the end it would come down to what the majority chooses as Beeej said.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2009 07:24AM

In principle having one place to go could be convenient, but the implementation could use some work:
  • The default font is difficult to read, and there's no way to change it (or switch to bold)
  • It's not actually 100% flash-free, since the sound seems to be done with flash (not that that really matters)
I guess I would find it more convenient to stick with IRC because I can already customize my client there, but I'll go wherever people go. Would standing up a dedicated irc server that people could interact with using their regular clients be too much hassle? (I can see how it might.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: November 04, 2009 10:07AM

I doubt that would make much of a difference. What I kept hearing from people yesterday was, "I can't figure out IRC" or "I didn't want to deal with an IRC client any more." This chat isn't perfect, but it was very easy to roll out to gauge interest. I can always replace it with something more robust, but I was also looking for very simple.

I could also point out that the text is quite readable on a proper desktop OS. =P

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2009 02:21PM

I can't figure out IRC, and I don't want to deal with an IRC client any more.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 05, 2009 02:27PM

Trotsky
I can't figure out IRC, and I don't want to deal with an IRC client any more.
And get off his lawn.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: November 05, 2009 02:34PM

He means it!

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: November 06, 2009 08:41PM

I keep getting redirected back to the login page after logging on and seeing a brief glimpse of the chat.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.60.172.18.ded.snet.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 08:54PM

Roy 82
I keep getting redirected back to the login page after logging on and seeing a brief glimpse of the chat.

That's happened to me a few times. Have to restart FF to make it work.

Date: November 07, 2009 03:44PM

Got kicked a few times, else it ran great.

Date: November 07, 2009 03:57PM

Saw that last night on my iPhone. I restarted the web server and database. Let me know if it persists.

Date: November 07, 2009 04:05PM

BTW, thank you for setting it up. It was really quite fun, and should be great when there's a big crew on for road games.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 08:57PM

Lots of kicks from the chat tonight.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 09:00PM

Josh '99
Lots of kicks from the chat tonight.
Yeah, and I was logged out frequently, too. :-)

Posted by: MattShaf (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 09:16PM

I was getting kicked off every few minutes.

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr1.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 09:34PM

Seemed like every time there were 10 or more people logged in, people started getting kicked.

Date: November 07, 2009 10:01PM

I'll find something better on Monday.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 10:34PM

Age, I know it's not currently the best solution, but huge thanks for trying to set this up. Here's hoping you find something better.

Posted by: judy (12.187.81.---)
Date: November 08, 2009 02:38AM

kaelistus
Age, I know it's not currently the best solution, but huge thanks for trying to set this up. Here's hoping you find something better.
agree(100000000000)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 08, 2009 10:33AM

judy
kaelistus
agree(100000000000)
3:38am? Wow Judy, you were HAMMERED last night. :-D

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 01:22PM

Josh '99
judy
kaelistus
agree(100000000000)

Hey Josh, it was only 2:38 am. You need to adjust your settings, daylight savings time is over ;-). And with the win over Harvard, it was probably happy drunk.

Posted by: judy (69.49.151.---)
Date: November 09, 2009 08:57AM

Rita
Josh '99
judy
kaelistus
agree(100000000000)

Hey Josh, it was only 2:38 am. You need to adjust your settings, daylight savings time is over ;-). And with the win over Harvard, it was probably happy drunk.

Ya, I was asleep by 3. And I had to go celebrate for my friend passing the bar, and us beating Sucks!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 01:10PM

judy
Rita
Josh '99
judy
kaelistus
agree(100000000000)

Ya, I was asleep by 3. And I had to go celebrate for my friend passing the bar, and us beating Sucks!
How do you celebrate by passing the bar?crazy

Date: November 12, 2009 07:33PM

I found a much better option and installed it, but haven't done any special styling yet. At any rate, it looks much more promising, so feel free to head over and beat on it a bit.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2009 10:04PM

CowbellGuy
I found a much better option and installed it, but haven't done any special styling yet. At any rate, it looks much more promising, so feel free to head over and beat on it a bit.
It could be viable. Lots of knobs to twiddle for customization.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 12, 2009 10:29PM

If you hit "Log Out", it brings up a screen to log you back in? What's my login? My usual elf login didn't work.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2009 10:57PM

Worked easily for me. Auto log in when I clicked on the link.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2009 12:06AM

The Chat link here takes in right in, as advertised.
The logout button gives a login screen
The login button takes me right back in, but with a new six-digit user name each time.

Date: November 13, 2009 12:15AM

Guess I should have explained. You don't need to enter a password on the login screen, just a name, unless you're an admin. When you click the link from here it should behave the same as typing in your ELF user name and no password.

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: November 13, 2009 02:55PM

Works great! THANK YOU -

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 16, 2009 11:03PM

Any way we could retain chat histories for each game? The game threads are dead with the new chat (at least I think that's why) and it's a little disappointing not to be able to re-live a game by reading through the progression like we used to be able to. Not sure if it's feasible or even something people would want, but throwing it out there.

Date: November 17, 2009 10:18AM

Considering we spent a goodly portion of the Brown game discussing Don Cherry's wardrobe, a) I'm not sure there's anything worth archiving, and b) I think it would be a bit odd to know that everything you write in chat will be archived forever somewhere. Plus, if it means the game thread doesn't have 11 people posting "Greening!" every time there's a goal, I think I've succeeded. Not saying there shouldn't be a game thread, but its previous incarnations were tedious and largely useless. The forum is still the place for post-game discussion. which is far more constructive and readable.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 01:27PM

CowbellGuy
Considering we spent a goodly portion of the Brown game discussing Don Cherry's wardrobe, a) I'm not sure there's anything worth archiving, and b) I think it would be a bit odd to know that everything you write in chat will be archived forever somewhere. Plus, if it means the game thread doesn't have 11 people posting "Greening!" every time there's a goal, I think I've succeeded. Not saying there shouldn't be a game thread, but its previous incarnations were tedious and largely useless. The forum is still the place for post-game discussion. which is far more constructive and readable.
I can see your point, but I actually did like reading thru the game thread and getting everyone's impression as the game went on. Not that I'll really miss it, however.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 01:29PM

CowbellGuy
Considering we spent a goodly portion of the Brown game discussing Don Cherry's wardrobe, a) I'm not sure there's anything worth archiving...
That's about as uninteresting as the latest results in the Swiss hockey league, a primary discussion topic during another Cornell game chat.snore

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 02:26PM

Al DeFlorio
CowbellGuy
Considering we spent a goodly portion of the Brown game discussing Don Cherry's wardrobe, a) I'm not sure there's anything worth archiving...
That's about as uninteresting as the latest results in the Swiss hockey league, a primary discussion topic during another Cornell game chat.snore
Gee, I wonder who could've brought that up. crazy

Date: November 17, 2009 03:44PM

Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
CowbellGuy
As crazy as it sounds, you'd be wrong. Seriously.

Date: November 17, 2009 04:48PM

CowbellGuy
Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
CowbellGuy
Only one eLF member that I know of lives in Switzerland. :-}

Posted by: Robb (---.77-83.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: November 17, 2009 05:25PM

jtwcornell91
CowbellGuy
Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
CowbellGuy
Only one eLF member that I know of has seen a hockey game in Switzerland. :-P

Date: November 17, 2009 08:04PM

Robb
jtwcornell91
CowbellGuy
Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
CowbellGuy
Is Russ Walker still lurking here? I think I took him to an SCB game once.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 08:31PM

jtwcornell91
Robb
jtwcornell91
CowbellGuy
Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
CowbellGuy

So says the guy who owns Swiss hockey scarves and was shopping for more... :P

Date: November 24, 2009 08:41AM

Hi,

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the chat? It took me several tries to log-in on Saturday night, but I thought that was screw-up because I had the chat loaded on one laptop, but then decide to loaded on my older, smaller one (so I could spend repeated attempts logging into RedCast). Now I can't get in at all.

When I click on the chat, I get a log in screen and I type in my user Name and password, then get "invalid user name" as an error message and it takes me back to the log-in page. I've reset my password and all, but I still stuck. I'm using Firefox 3.5.5 on a macbook. On my 2002 iBook, I'm running OS 10.3 and a lower version of Firefox.

Thanks,

Rita

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 08:54AM

Rita
Hi,

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the chat? It took me several tries to log-in on Saturday night, but I thought that was screw-up because I had the chat loaded on one laptop, but then decide to loaded on my older, smaller one (so I could spend repeated attempts logging into RedCast). Now I can't get in at all.

When I click on the chat, I get a log in screen and I type in my user Name and password, then get "invalid user name" as an error message and it takes me back to the log-in page. I've reset my password and all, but I still stuck. I'm using Firefox 3.5.5 on a macbook. On my 2002 iBook, I'm running OS 10.3 and a lower version of Firefox.

Thanks,

Rita

You don't need a password, the chat is not set up with the accounts that elynah has. Just type in a username you want to use with no password and it should work. Also, if you click the link in the sidebar it will automatically log you in with your username.

Date: November 24, 2009 09:12AM

Hi Jacob,

That was what I thought was supposed to happen, when I clicked the "chat" link on the right menu, but for some reason, it directed me to a log-in page instead.

I just tried again, and the link this time worked as advertised, and sent me to the chat room. Thanks for the tip about not needing a password. If I experience this problem again, I'll try that.

Date: November 24, 2009 10:04AM

The free tech support here is awesome ;)

If you're not logged in here, obviously it won't be able to provide it with a username. Not sure if that might have been the cause of your initial problem, but Jacob seems to have covered everything.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2009 09:18PM

jtwcornell91
Robb
Make that at least three. ZSC Lions, baby. Hopp Oerlikon.

Date: March 07, 2010 06:57PM

Anybody else want to chat during the out of town games?

Date: March 07, 2010 07:08PM

We could take over the chat on RPI.TV....

Date: November 04, 2011 02:47PM

ELynah Chat has been updated and fixed. Sorry about that.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2011 08:30PM

Besides the fact that I can't seem to find it, or log in to it, it seems to be working well.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 08:35PM

ACM
Besides the fact that I can't seem to find it, or log in to it, it seems to be working well.

Still on the sidebar on the right.

Date: November 04, 2011 10:16PM

ACM
And, you know, the first post in this thread.

Date: November 05, 2011 07:38AM

Jacob '06
ACM

Took me a while to find as well, since the ad between "SCORES & STATS" and "LINKS" now pushes the latter out of the first screenful of my browser window. Given that "SCORES & STATS" is out of date anyway, maybe they should be switched.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 05, 2011 02:50PM

jtwcornell91
Jacob '06
ACM

Took me a while to find as well, since the ad between "SCORES & STATS" and "LINKS" now pushes the latter out of the first screenful of my browser window. Given that "SCORES & STATS" is out of date anyway, maybe they should be switched.
I have to tell YOU about CTRL-F?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login