Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CCHA Denies UAH

Posted by Chris '03 
CCHA Denies UAH
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.60.172.18.ded.snet.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 04:21PM

CHN is reporting that the CCHA decided not to take on UAH as a member: [www.collegehockeynews.com]

Oddly, the front page graphic features the Lynah Faithful:

Bad day for Huntsville. Unclear what this means for future realignment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2009 04:22PM by Chris '03.

Re: CCHA Denies UAH
Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2009 05:16PM

Probably going to be the end of UAH Chargers men's ice hockey.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2009 09:45PM

Chris '03
That's because Adam knows we're awesome.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 11, 2009 10:58PM

Josh '99
Chris '03

And knows that we're about to yell, "See Ya!"

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: August 12, 2009 01:27AM

BCrespi
Josh '99
Chris '03

OK, that's just mean!

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: August 12, 2009 05:17PM

KeithK
BCrespi
Josh '99
Chris '03

OK, that's just mean!
That is what it looks like, Keith.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.176.252.64.snet.net)
Date: August 12, 2009 06:26PM

Good article on USCHO about some of the reasons why UAH may have been rejected.

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2009 11:44PM

ebilmes

[www.uscho.com]

If travel is really the issue, I wonder if the CCHA could be convinced to take Robert Morris instead.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2009 09:22AM

jtwcornell91
ebilmes

[www.uscho.com]

If travel is really the issue, I wonder if the CCHA could be convinced to take Robert Morris instead.

But RMU was already admitted to the AHA.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2009 11:23AM

Dpperk29
jtwcornell91
ebilmes

[www.uscho.com]

But RMU was already admitted to the AHA.

So swap them with UAH. The AHA already has AFA so they can handle the occasional long trip.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 02:35PM

Robert Morris really wanted the limited-scholarship AHA from the start.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 02:37PM

Dpperk29
Probably going to be the end of UAH Chargers men's ice hockey.
Writing's probably been on the wall since UAB folded, but that still sucks.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 13, 2009 03:04PM

Since this leaves the CCHA with 11 teams I wonder if they will eventually try to poach a team frmo another conference in order to make an even twelve. Or maybe Penn State will finally start up a hockey team....

Maybe we should jump to the CCHA. It's about the only way Red Berenson would ever make the trip to Lynah.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2009 04:59PM

KeithK
Or maybe Penn State will finally start up a hockey team....
Anybody know the rule about how many Big Ten schools can have a sport before they have to have their own league. Penn State would be 6 schools. I know they have sports with 7 teams. At some point, with enough schools playing hockey the schools would have to drop out of their leagues and form their own; unless they can somehow pull an Ivy League trick, but that seems too difficult.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.LL.sparqnet.net)
Date: August 13, 2009 05:32PM

Jim Hyla
KeithK
Anybody know the rule about how many Big Ten schools can have a sport before they have to have their own league. Penn State would be 6 schools. I know they have sports with 7 teams. At some point, with enough schools playing hockey the schools would have to drop out of their leagues and form their own; unless they can somehow pull an Ivy League trick, but that seems too difficult.

I think it's 6 schools.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: August 13, 2009 09:58PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla
KeithK

I think it's 6 schools.
You are correct that it is 6 schools - but at/above that threshold, the Big 10 MAY sponsor a league. There is no rule (NCAA, Big 10, or otherwise) that says the Big 10 would have to do so.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2009 12:04AM

Robb
Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla
KeithK

I think it's 6 schools.
You are correct that it is 6 schools - but at/above that threshold, the Big 10 MAY sponsor a league. There is no rule (NCAA, Big 10, or otherwise) that says the Big 10 would have to do so.
Yeah, I was wondering. I don't see any reason why they *have* to, but I think what Jim and Jeff were getting at is, if they've got 6 schools and are eligible to form a conference that receives an autobid, there really isn't any reason for them *not* to, loyalty to existing conferences aside. You can limit the distance you have to travel to play conference games (no Alaska trips, especially), increase your odds of getting an autobid (based on there being fewer teams fighting for it), and, if I'm not mistaken, increase your odds of getting an at-large bid (based on the same RPI-boosting insularity that does this for the ACC in lacrosse). Plus, in a hypothetical six-team BTHC including UM, MSU, OSU, UMN, UW and PSU, every conference game is going to sell a ton of tickets.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: August 14, 2009 09:15AM

Josh '99
Robb
Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla
KeithK

I think it's 6 schools.
Yeah, I was wondering. I don't see any reason why they *have* to, but I think what Jim and Jeff were getting at is, if they've got 6 schools and are eligible to form a conference that receives an autobid, there really isn't any reason for them *not* to, loyalty to existing conferences aside. You can limit the distance you have to travel to play conference games (no Alaska trips, especially), increase your odds of getting an autobid (based on there being fewer teams fighting for it), and, if I'm not mistaken, increase your odds of getting an at-large bid (based on the same RPI-boosting insularity that does this for the ACC in lacrosse). Plus, in a hypothetical six-team BTHC including UM, MSU, OSU, UMN, UW and PSU, every conference game is going to sell a ton of tickets.
It just depends on the frame of mind of the B10 presidents/ADs. The BTHC would likely kill several hockey programs in one fell swoop - BGSU, WMU, Ferris, etc, as they money they used to get in ticket sales would shift over to UW, UMinn, and PSU. Contraction may begat further contraction, and suddenly the BTHC may own the lion's share of what has become a much smaller pie. Are they really better off in that scenario than they are in the current one? Of course, it's not my opinion, nor yours, nor the actual truth that matters - it comes down to what the B10 presidents and ADs perceive it to be.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2009 10:10AM

Sports Illustrated decides to write about UAH's predicament:

Last year's NCAA champion, Bemidji State, is going to the Western College Hockey Association. Niagara and Robert Morris are headed to Atlantic Hockey.

Date: November 04, 2009 12:17PM

ebilmes

Last year's NCAA champion, Bemidji State, is going to the Western College Hockey Association. Niagara and Robert Morris are headed to Atlantic Hockey.
Well, it's nice to know we lost to the eventual champions. :-|

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.townhouse.clarkson.edu)
Date: November 04, 2009 12:59PM

KeithK
ebilmes

Does that make cornell the runner up?

Date: November 04, 2009 03:19PM

Dpperk29
KeithK
ebilmes

Does that make cornell the runner up?
Just trying to apply the ever accurate transitive rule of athletics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login