Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"Fighting Sioux" nickname may [not] [may too] stick at N Dakota

Posted by billhoward 
Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: "Fighting Sioux" nickname may [not] [may too] stick at N Dakota
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 08, 2016 08:53AM

ursusminor
In case anyone cares, it's the Fighting Hawks.

I was surprised to see ESPN use the "Fighting Hawks" name in an on-screen graphic last night. Did the new nickname take effect immediately? I was assuming they'd wait until the fall instead of adopting the nickname in mid-season.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.177.169.163.ipyx-102276-zyo.zip.zayo.com)
Date: April 08, 2016 10:05AM

jtwcornell91
ursusminor

I was surprised to see ESPN use the "Fighting Hawks" name in an on-screen graphic last night. Did the new nickname take effect immediately? I was assuming they'd wait until the fall instead of adopting the nickname in mid-season.
I assume playing a nationally televised game accelerated the change, in light of the reason for the change.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 12:19PM

ugarte
jtwcornell91
ursusminor

I assume playing a nationally televised game accelerated the change, in light of the reason for the change.
I attended a game at the Ralph in January (excuse to check ND off my list). They were already using the new nickname but it was used sparingly by the PA announcer and without much emphasis. The crowd was using Sioux quite liberally and there were several "Sioux Forever!" chants in response to hearing the new nickname.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 08, 2016 12:48PM

KeithK
ugarte
jtwcornell91
ursusminor

I attended a game at the Ralph in January (excuse to check ND off my list). They were already using the new nickname but it was used sparingly by the PA announcer and without much emphasis. The crowd was using Sioux quite liberally and there were several "Sioux Forever!" chants in response to hearing the new nickname.

Plus, it's not like they're going to start confiscating the "Sioux" clothing at the door. This is going to linger for decades.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 06:10PM

Beeeej
KeithK
ugarte
jtwcornell91
ursusminor

Plus, it's not like they're going to start confiscating the "Sioux" clothing at the door. This is going to linger for decades.

My guess is long enough to be reinstated.

It's a fucking cool logo and nickname.

Date: April 08, 2016 06:13PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
KeithK
ugarte
jtwcornell91
ursusminor

My guess is long enough to be reinstated.

It's a fucking cool logo and nickname.
That cool logo has not been removed from the tiling in the hallways of the Ralph. They'd just about have to redo the entire flooring to do so - each logo is about ten feet across.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 06:18PM

KeithK
That cool logo has not been removed from the tiling in the hallways of the Ralph. They'd just about have to redo the entire flooring to do so - each logo is about ten feet across.

This was deliberate, IINM. At least they don't have a swastika at center ice.

Date: April 08, 2016 08:27PM

Trotsky
KeithK

This was deliberate, IINM. At least they don't have a swastika at center ice.
I believe you're right. Englestadt wanted to do everything he could to make sure the logo stayed. It looks damn good though.

Posted by: RichH (72.91.181.---)
Date: April 08, 2016 09:38PM

jtwcornell91
ursusminor

Picture the scene of hundreds of North Dakota fans spilling out of the arena after an exhilerating semifinal win, all chanting "SIOUX FOR-EV-ER!!"

The group of 3 ND fans sitting behind me had running commentary through most of the game last night, mostly wryly shouting "Let's Go Hawks!" or "Let's Go Siou....Hawks!"

I did see a noticeable number of ND fans wearing the "North Dakota" jerseys, which kind of look weirdly empty without a number in the middle of the circle the letters form. I wonder how many of them do like the dropping of the Fighting Sioux nickname (there must be some). At the same time, I wonder how many have all their old Sioux paraphenalia in a hermetically-sealed container for eternal preservation.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2016 09:42PM by RichH.

Re: kkk
Posted by: CU2007 (160.254.20.---)
Date: October 20, 2017 02:55PM

wtf just happened

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2017 01:11AM

CU2007
wtf just happened

Gotta give the spammer credit. Went for 50 threads. And the screenname lists the data he/she registered.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 22, 2017 01:28AM

French Rage
CU2007
wtf just happened

Gotta give the spammer credit. Went for 50 threads. And the screenname lists the data he/she registered.
As these things go, yes, golf clap.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.139.102.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: October 22, 2017 12:13PM

Trotsky
French Rage
CU2007
wtf just happened

As these things go, yes, golf clap.

Or a dose of the clap.nospam

Page: Previous12 3 
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login