Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Hockey in 2009-2010

Posted by lynah80 
Cornell Hockey in 2009-2010
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2009 10:02PM

Will Cornell by the ECAC favorite for next year?

[www.hockeyjournal.com]

The article doesn't say anything about recruits. Obviously, that will be critical.

For 2008-2009, only 1/3 of Cornell's goals were scored by seniors. However, for Yale the numbers are even better, only 1/10 were scored by seniors.

Alec Richards will be graduating (GOA 2.057 Save% 0.923). That will leave Ryan Rondeau (GOA 2.266 Save% 0.901) as their top goalie.

Arcobello, Little, Backman, Kearney, and O'Neill are all expected back next year.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2009 12:42AM by lynah80.

Re: Cornell Hockey in 2009-2010
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2009 10:48PM

lynah80

[www.hockeyjournal.com]
One can only wonder what the "key role" was the injured Devins played in "Cornell's NCAA regional final run."

Posted by: BCrespi (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2009 11:54PM

Al DeFlorio
lynah80

[www.hockeyjournal.com]
One can only wonder what the "key role" was the injured Devins played in "Cornell's NCAA regional final run."

I think their key role was being from New England.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 09, 2009 12:05PM

Cornell and Yale will be the most hyped.

Harvard will once again have a highly-touted blue chippah class, just like the ones that have led them to the last 14 consecutive NCAA titles.

Union, Dartmouth, Princeton and Clarkson will be in there somewhere.

RPI, Colgate, and Quinnipiac will be picked to tread water because nobody knows anything about them and the media is lazy (and, well, because they will).

St. Lawrence is totally screwed.

Brown is Brown.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 02:41PM

With the Frozen Four over, I think it is time to start looking ahead to next year. Let's get this topic moving again.

However frustrating it was for it to be them instead of us, and however unsuccessful they turned out to be in the end, I was encouraged by Miami's run to the title game. For more than a few moments during the final, I could squint my eyes in a particular way, disregard the name on the front of the sweaters, and imagine that it was Cornell playing BU. Miami's hard-nosed, no-room-to-move defensive style and opportunistic scoring reminded me of the best Cornell teams during the Schafer era. Considering the Brekke connection, I think that is no accident. If anything, Miami's run proved to me that there is still room for that kind of hockey in the closely-called environment of today (when compared with, say, 2003). (For the record, I think the 2003 team was actually hindered by the prevailing standards in officiating at the time.)

Miami lost to a BU team that was loaded with talent and was on a mission. Their only weakness was taking undisciplined penalties, which should be a familiar theme to us. They worked hard, fought for the puck, and were not afraid to take the body. Ultimately, I find them quite worthy champs--not a bunch of individualistic Minnesota pretty boys, but a hard-working, fiery group. Something about them also reminded me of the best teams during the Schafer era.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 08:57PM

Scersk '97
Miami's hard-nosed, no-room-to-move defensive style and opportunistic scoring reminded me of the best Cornell teams during the Schafer era. Considering the Brekke connection, I think that is no accident. If anything, Miami's run proved to me that there is still room for that kind of hockey in the closely-called environment of today (when compared with, say, 2003). (For the record, I think the 2003 team was actually hindered by the prevailing standards in officiating at the time.)

You sure it wasn't just Brakke's piercing whistle at the end of the power plays? :p

I mostly agree, but this year's Miami team was better than any Schafer era Cornell team in two crucial areas - transition speed and shot release. Miami jumped on turnovers and consistently generated offense on the rush - only the 2003 Cornell squad was anywhere near that good on transition, and they weren't as quick through the neutral zone. Miami also got a fair number of dangerous shots off in a hurry. I don't think Schafer's Cornell teams have ever had more than one or two guys who could shoot the puck like that. It seemed like Miami had 4 or 5, and BU had 12.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 09:20PM

BU is going to be tough again next year. They only lose about a half-dozen seniors. Some, like Yip, were very important to this team, but many of the stars in the Final Four are juniors. Of course, they may have defections now that they won the national title, but then again, so may we now that we didn't. BTW, their roster web page shows they do have a goalie coach. The game a MSG will be a good test for us to see how we stack up with the big boys. bugeye

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 12, 2009 09:34PM

Swampy
BU is going to be tough again next year. They only lose about a half-dozen seniors. Some, like Yip, were very important to this team, but many of the stars in the Final Four are juniors. Of course, they may have defections now that they won the national title, but then again, so may we now that we didn't. BTW, their roster web page shows they do have a goalie coach. The game a MSG will be a good test for us to see how we stack up with the big boys. bugeye
And Miami is going to be great also. That team was more or less in diapers this year.

Honestly, I couldn't see the 2009 Cornell team skating with either of those squads. Cornell 2003 would have been fine because they would have slowed these teams to a crawl and those shots, as quick as they are, would have been blocked before they reached the goal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2009 09:37PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 01:57AM

ugarte
Honestly, I couldn't see the 2009 Cornell team skating with either of those squads. Cornell 2003 would have been fine because they would have slowed these teams to a crawl and those shots, as quick as they are, would have been blocked before they reached the goal.

I agree and disagree. I agree that the 2009 team that we saw probably could not skate with BU (as our troubles against Yale [BU minus the steroids] showed) and would have a tough time vs. Miami. But the 2009 team that we never saw, a healthy stretch-run team, could have skated with both. I think a healthy, gelled 2009 team would have had a very good chance versus Miami, and as good a chance as any against BU.

Injuries killed any notion of continuity on this year's team. First it was the Kennedys, and then, when the Kennedys returned, it was the Devins. Losing Joe Devin for much of the season had a great effect on our scoring, because he'd seemed to be developing that "garbage man" quality that we haven't had since Paolini graduated. (And whatever happened to Roeszler, who I thought was finally starting to find a role?) Add in Gallagher's difficulties in the playoffs, and this team was significantly crippled for the entire stretch run. Neither the 2003 team nor the 2005 team had unmanageable injury problems, but 2004 (Vesce) and 2006 (the D) did. I think there's an obvious pattern there.

Healthy, I think this year's team was at least the equal of 2002 or 2006, as the early season showed. Upside of 2005 with gelling. More on it later, but I think next year's team, healthy, could be '05 all over again (or '06, healthy and with Shane Hynes). (Of course, everything with the caveat "if Riley and Greening stay"--the Unanswered Question.)

Posted by: lynah80 (---.med.upenn.edu)
Date: April 13, 2009 04:28AM

Swampy
BU is going to be tough again next year. They only lose about a half-dozen seniors. Some, like Yip, were very important to this team, but many of the stars in the Final Four are juniors. Of course, they may have defections now that they won the national title, but then again, so may we now that we didn't. BTW, their roster web page shows they do have a goalie coach. The game a MSG will be a good test for us to see how we stack up with the big boys.

BU is going to lose a lot of big guns on offense who accounted for about half of their goal scoring during the season. Higgins, Yip, Lawrence, McCarthy and Gilroy are all seniors. Gilroy was also much more to the team than a goal scorer.

BU also has a goal tending problem. Despite his statistics during the regular season, Millan was very unsure of himself in DC. I'll take Scrivens over him any day. Scrivens has some self discipline issues, but he never looks like he is afraid when someone skates on net with a puck on their stick.

BU is much more likely to have guys leave before graduation than Cornell. They have far more NHL draftees (13 vs 4). Riley Nash is clearly the biggest risk for leaving Cornell early; I bet he stays though (1) because of his brother and (2) he needs to build more muscle. Colin Greening isn't going anywhere. He wants a degree.

A key for Cornell will be recruits. There are 4 forwards, 3 defensemen and one goalie coming in for 2009-2010. Maybe they won't be ready to make a contribution at MSG, but let's hope they adjust to NCAA hockey and gel with they team by mid season.

Date: April 13, 2009 08:42AM

Scersk '97
ugarte

I agree and disagree. I agree that the 2009 team that we saw probably could not skate with BU (as our troubles against Yale [BU minus the steroids] showed) and would have a tough time vs. Miami. But the 2009 team that we never saw, a healthy stretch-run team, could have skated with both. I think a healthy, gelled 2009 team would have had a very good chance versus Miami, and as good a chance as any against BU.

Injuries killed any notion of continuity on this year's team. First it was the Kennedys, and then, when the Kennedys returned, it was the Devins. Losing Joe Devin for much of the season had a great effect on our scoring, because he'd seemed to be developing that "garbage man" quality that we haven't had since Paolini graduated. (And whatever happened to Roeszler, who I thought was finally starting to find a role?) Add in Gallagher's difficulties in the playoffs, and this team was significantly crippled for the entire stretch run. Neither the 2003 team nor the 2005 team had unmanageable injury problems, but 2004 (Vesce) and 2006 (the D) did. I think there's an obvious pattern there.

Healthy, I think this year's team was at least the equal of 2002 or 2006, as the early season showed. Upside of 2005 with gelling. More on it later, but I think next year's team, healthy, could be '05 all over again (or '06, healthy and with Shane Hynes). (Of course, everything with the caveat "if Riley and Greening stay"--the Unanswered Question.)

But injuries are part of the game. This gives an advantage to a team like BU which is stocked (lynah80 mentions 13 vs 4 NHL draftees). If we need for everyone to stay healthy even to be competitive in the FF, then we need to hope for a perfect storm of good luck.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.90.17-115.newsouth.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 08:51AM

lynah80
A key for Cornell will be recruits. There are 4 forwards, 3 defensemen and one goalie coming in for 2009-2010. Maybe they won't be ready to make a contribution at MSG, but let's hope they adjust to NCAA hockey and gel with they team by mid season.

I think that (depending on how Sean Whitney progresses over the summer) one or both of Braden Birch and Nick D'Agostino have the potential to be impact defensemen from the beginning. John Esposito and Erik Axell could contribute about as much as Locke Jillson and Sean Collins did this year. Based on their junior stats it may take Vince Mihalek, Chris Moulson, and Jarred Seymour a little longer to adjust to the college game.

I think the team's success next year will be dependent on which players are able to elevate their game(s). Evan Barlow definitely did this this year, Blake Gallagher did too. I expect much bigger years from Sean Collins and Patrick Kennedy. Let's hope Patrick can duplicate his brother's sophomore->junior breakout!

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 09:26AM

Swampy
But injuries are part of the game. This gives an advantage to a team like BU which is stocked (lynah80 mentions 13 vs 4 NHL draftees). If we need for everyone to stay healthy even to be competitive in the FF, then we need to hope for a perfect storm of good luck.
Well yeah. For Cornell to win the national title will probably take a perfect storm of talent and luck. Accept it and keep looking for that storm.

Posted by: tretiak (---.state.gov)
Date: April 13, 2009 12:18PM

BU is going to lose a lot of big guns on offense who accounted for about half of their goal scoring during the season. Higgins, Yip, Lawrence, McCarthy and Gilroy are all seniors. Gilroy was also much more to the team than a goal scorer.

Colin Wilson (17/38/55 in 43 games) will also leave, assuming he doesn't get hurt patting himself too hard on the back...

For those who watched the frozen four and previous games, Millan also is just not a good goalie. BU will have a strong defense and will have good recruits, but that BU team had a perfect storm of offense. And luck. Seriously, 3 key goals in the tournament were flukes. I still can't believe that.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: April 13, 2009 12:28PM

tretiak
I still can't believe that.
The tournament-winning goal, especially, was utter crap. If you're Miami, I've got to believe you are feeling completely robbed losing like that.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 01:50PM

If Jack Parker sticks around much longer, he's gonna be in diapers, too. He's closing in on five decades with BU hockey (player, coach) and unlike some coaches who lose it sometime in their fifties or sixties, Parker at 64 is still be on his game. Maybe he wants to beat Joe Pa's tenure record.

Miami fans have to love that fluke goal because they can fixate on that and ignore the final-minute collapse. The winners just walk around with the 2009 NCAA Champs T-shirts while the losers will spend hours dreaming up scenarios for why they should have won. A bit like we're doing here. I don't think you can see "injuries really hurt Cornell" unless we got taken down by a team that was comparatively injury-free.

BU sucks. Cantabs, too. But for excitement, and for determination on BU's part, that was a great game.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2009 03:01PM

I wouldn't say the tournament winning goal was "utter crap." If I recall correctly, the pass that led to the shot was a beautiful behind the back pass. Sure, the deflection of the Miami player made it a cheapish kind of goal, but were it not for the fact that the goalie was completely screened it probably would have been an easy save off the deflection. So BU made a very pretty pass to set up the shot, and had the goalie completely screened. Based on that, I can't agree that it was "utter crap."

All that being said, a couple of minutes before the goal I had said to the people I was watching the game with that I hoped the game-winning goal wouldn't be funky in any way. And I do acknowledge a certain level of funkiness on that goal.

Date: April 13, 2009 03:13PM

andyw2100
I wouldn't say the tournament winning goal was "utter crap."
Okay, but it was something I'd refer to as a garbage goal if it came during one of my own games. By this, I mean that no one explicitly put the puck in: there was just a bad deflection on a low-percentage shot and the puck just slowly floated in.

If it had deflected like a laser off a mirror and tore a hole through the back of the net, I would not be arguing this.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2009 05:30PM

Kyle Rose
If it had deflected like a laser off a mirror and tore a hole through the back of the net, I would not be arguing this.

Oh, please - like that could ever happen.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 06:14PM

Kyle Rose

Then we'd be arguing the physics of deflection and the possibility of whether it might have been a second puck on the grassy knoll.

By the way, in the highlights in the Verizon Center they had a new angle on the UVM OT goal that, well, at least I hadn't seen before. Looking straight on to the goal. From the front on view, there is absolutely no doubt the puck was below the crossbar. From the top view there was no doubt it was to the (goalie's) right of the (goalie's) left post. Case closed.

Back on topic: the BU goal may have been moderately fluky, but BU was dominating overtime, had a number of good chances, and it basically seemed a matter of time until something found its way in somehow. For Miami to win at that point would have required a much higher level of flukiness - or a flat our miss by the BU goalie.

Date: April 13, 2009 06:33PM

DeltaOne81
By the way, in the highlights in the Verizon Center they had a new angle on the UVM OT goal that, well, at least I hadn't seen before. Looking straight on to the goal. From the front on view, there is absolutely no doubt the puck was below the crossbar. From the top view there was no doubt it was to the (goalie's) right of the (goalie's) left post. Case closed.
Based on my knowledge of motion compensation in MPEG, this sounds conclusive to me. So I agree with you and support you now.

Back on topic: the BU goal may have been moderately fluky, but BU was dominating overtime, had a number of good chances, and it basically seemed a matter of time until something found its way in somehow. For Miami to win at that point would have required a much higher level of flukiness - or a flat our miss by the BU goalie.
I'm not saying BU shouldn't have won; they were clearly the better team going in. Does anyone actually disagree that BU was the strongest team in the nation this year, bar none? They kicked ass and took names and will come back next year and probably do the same thing. Parker got pwned at Lynah in 2002, and probably learned a lot from that experience. Woe to us at MSG. uhoh

I'm simply arguing that they should have won handily in regulation, and the fact that they had to and went on to score 3 unanswered goals, at least one of them garbage, with less than 2 minutes left in regulation has to hurt for the Miami players, who almost pulled off a massive upset against such a dominant team. I can't help but admire BU for getting it together, but I also can't help but feel bad for Miami, who after all could have been us in a year in which the chips fell slightly differently.

(Yes, screw BU and all that: we had our rare chance in 2003 and, through a combination of bad luck and more bad luck, sent our senior talent on to the rest of their careers without the NCAA hardware. I don't hate BU because of that. :-) )

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 06:35PM

Brandon Thomas comments on Cornell Hockey for 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 here:

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 13, 2009 07:33PM

Kyle Rose
(Yes, screw BU and all that: we had our rare chance in 2003 and, through a combination of bad luck and more bad luck, sent our senior talent on to the rest of their careers without the NCAA hardware. I don't hate BU because of that. :-) )
I don't hate BU because of 2003 or their latest title. I say screw BU because I have a sense of program history and I know what kind of rival they were for Cornell. Plus Jackie Parker is an ass.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 08:11PM

KeithK
I say screw BU because I have a sense of program history and I know what kind of rival they were for Cornell. Plus Jackie Parker is an ass.

Parker's an ass the way Cleary was an ass the way Schafer's an ass. Unapolegetic advocates for their team who will say and do whatever is necessary to help their guys.

We can only hope when Schafer is done he'll have Parker's record of success.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 13, 2009 08:23PM

Trotsky
KeithK
I say screw BU because I have a sense of program history and I know what kind of rival they were for Cornell. Plus Jackie Parker is an ass.

Parker's an ass the way Cleary was an ass the way Schafer's an ass. Unapolegetic advocates for their team who will say and do whatever is necessary to help their guys.

We can only hope when Schafer is done he'll have Parker's record of success.
But Schafer is our ass so it's different. :-D

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2009 08:28PM

KeithK
But Schafer is our ass so it's different. :-D

Of course. :-)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2009 02:04AM

DeltaOne81
For Miami to win at that point would have required a much higher level of flukiness - or a flat our miss by the BU goalie.
Not beyond the realm of possibility - I didn't have the best angle on it but Miami's third goal looked like a flat out miss.

Date: April 14, 2009 08:49PM

tretiak

Colin Wilson (17/38/55 in 43 games) will also leave, assuming he doesn't get hurt patting himself too hard on the back...

Where did you read he will be leaving?

His remarks in this article suggest otherwise, if you believe them:

[www.collegehockeynews.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2009 12:25AM by lynah80.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: April 15, 2009 04:08PM

Josh '99
DeltaOne81
For Miami to win at that point would have required a much higher level of flukiness - or a flat our miss by the BU goalie.
Not beyond the realm of possibility - I didn't have the best angle on it but Miami's third goal looked like a flat out miss.

Agreed. Quite possible in fact. But no less 'fluky' in its own way than that BU goal.

My guesses for captains in 2009-2010
Date: April 15, 2009 11:17PM

In addition to Greening:

Brendon Nash: C or A
Riley Nash: A
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2009 11:18PM by lynah80.

Re: My guesses for captains in 2009-2010
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2009 11:21PM

lynah80
In addition to Greening:

I think Gallagher might get an A.

Date: April 15, 2009 11:22PM

ebilmes
lynah80
In addition to Greening:

Yes, that's a good possibility.

Other hopes for 2009-2010
Date: April 15, 2009 11:26PM

Locke Jillson skates with Riley Nash and Patrick Kennedy and leads the team in assists.
Joe Scali scores a hat trick.
Ben Scrivens scores an empty net goal (from his own crease, not the red line).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2009 04:05AM by lynah80.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: April 16, 2009 12:04AM

ebilmes
lynah80
In addition to Greening:

I think everyone on the Harvard team will get an Adeadhorse

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2009 12:51PM

And Cornell in the coming season will have a ceremony commemorating the 1970 unbeaten team of forty years ago. Cripe, that's a long time. From now to then is like from then back to the Depression.

Date: April 16, 2009 01:15PM

billhoward
And Cornell in the coming season will have a ceremony commemorating the 1970 unbeaten team of forty years ago. Cripe, that's a long time. From now to then is like from then back to the Depression.

Hey, from now to the beginning of Cornell hockey is like from then to the Articles of Confederation.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: April 16, 2009 01:50PM

Trotsky
billhoward

Hey, from now to the beginning of Cornell hockey is like from then to the Articles of Confederation.

And from now until the Articles of Confederation is like from then to the Edict of Nantes.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: April 16, 2009 02:42PM

French Rage
Trotsky
billhoward

And from now until the Articles of Confederation is like from then to the Edict of Nantes.

And from now until the Edict of Nantes is like from then to Saladin's siege of Jerusalem.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2009 04:20PM

Beeeej
French Rage
Trotsky
billhoward

And from now until the Edict of Nantes is like from then to Saladin's siege of Jerusalem.
And we're nearer in time to Herodotus than he was to the building of the pyramids.

Date: April 16, 2009 04:29PM

French Rage

"Paris is worth a mass, and Harvard still sucks."

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2009 05:50PM

Too bad we're closer to the end of the last hockey season than the beginning of the next one.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2009 10:20PM

This sort of game is what caused me to panic at my 33rd birthday because I was closer to 40 than to 25. Of course, now I'm closer to 40 than to the most recent Cornell game... panic

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 17, 2009 02:56AM

jtwcornell91
This sort of game is what caused me to panic at my 33rd birthday because I was closer to 40 than to 25. Of course, now I'm closer to 40 than to the most recent Cornell game... panic

Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

S. Paige

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 12:37PM

djk26
Too bad we're closer to the end of the last hockey season than the beginning of the next one.
We're also much closer to "the future" in Back To The Future II than we are to "the present". Somebody better get cracking on those hoverboards.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 04:03PM

Josh '99
djk26
We're also much closer to "the future" in Back To The Future II than we are to "the present". Somebody better get cracking on those hoverboards.

Baseball is working on their bit of it.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2009 10:18AM

RichH
Josh '99
djk26
Baseball is working on their bit of it.
They seem to have forgotten that 2015 is a Marlins year though. (1997 - 2003 - 2009? - 2015?)

Posted by: tretiak (---.state.gov)
Date: April 20, 2009 09:57AM

[www.tsn.ca]

1st round pick + hobey baker finalist + national championship = nothing left to prove in college

as much as it pains me to root for a flyer, i hope van riemsdyk owns him in the nhl

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: April 20, 2009 12:57PM

Seems RPI is getting a good young forward:

Binghamton Press and Sun
The United States blanked Russia, 5-0, to win the IIHF World Under-18 Championship on Sunday night at the Urban Plains Center.

It was the first time a U.S. men's national team won a title in the United States since the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, and it was the fifth time in the last six years the Americans played in the Under-18 gold-medal game.

Johnson City's Jerry D'Amigo had two shots on goal but did not score a point Sunday. He finished the event as the team's leading scorer and tied as the third-top scorer overall. He had 13 points (four goals, nine assists), including the game-winning goal in Friday's 2-1 semifinal victory over Canada.

D'Amigo is in the midst of a two-year stint with the USA Hockey National Team Development Program and has committed to play for Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy in the fall.

That same U-18 National Team had several players that will be at Denver next year and a bunch head to Michigan including the goalie:
U of Michigan hocky blog
Check out these numbers for our future goalie: 4-0-0 record, 0.75 goals against average, .967 save percentage, two shutouts, and zero even-strength goals allowed. He's from the U17s playing in the World U18s and he put on a show. In international play he's 11-0-1-0 (that's 11 wins and an overtime loss) with a 1.04 and probably something around a .955 save percentage to go with 5 shutouts. Eww. Eww eww eww.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2009 02:57PM by profudge.

Date: April 20, 2009 08:10PM

profudge
Seems RPI is getting a good young forward:

Binghamton Press and Sun
The United States blanked Russia, 5-0, to win the IIHF World Under-18 Championship on Sunday night at the Urban Plains Center.

It was the first time a U.S. men's national team won a title in the United States since the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, and it was the fifth time in the last six years the Americans played in the Under-18 gold-medal game.

Johnson City's Jerry D'Amigo had two shots on goal but did not score a point Sunday. He finished the event as the team's leading scorer and tied as the third-top scorer overall. He had 13 points (four goals, nine assists), including the game-winning goal in Friday's 2-1 semifinal victory over Canada.

D'Amigo is in the midst of a two-year stint with the USA Hockey National Team Development Program and has committed to play for Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy in the fall.

That same U-18 National Team had several players that will be at Denver next year and a bunch head to Michigan including the goalie:
U of Michigan hocky blog
Check out these numbers for our future goalie: 4-0-0 record, 0.75 goals against average, .967 save percentage, two shutouts, and zero even-strength goals allowed. He's from the U17s playing in the World U18s and he put on a show. In international play he's 11-0-1-0 (that's 11 wins and an overtime loss) with a 1.04 and probably something around a .955 save percentage to go with 5 shutouts. Eww. Eww eww eww.

Do ya think having the USNDTP in Ann Arbor gives them an advantage?pissed

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: April 21, 2009 07:01AM

The goalie going to Michigan, Jeff Campbell, is playing on the U-17 team and won't show up until 2010. I agree that Michigan has a big advantage in recruiting players from the USNTDP.

It may turn out that Jerry D'Amigo is only the third best forward recruit for RPI for the upcoming season. Brandon Pirri of the Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) appears to have a bigger upside than D'Amigo. Playing for the USNTDP probably means that, at least initially, D'Amigo is further along in development, but Pirri appears to be more talented offensively, although he may never have checked anyone in his life. ;). Jacob Laliberte of the Cornwall Colts (CJHL), may delay arriving in Troy until 2010 for reasons that are far from clear to me, but he is also a very talented and creative offensive player, although reportedly only about 5'6" tall.

Both Pirri and Laliberte, as well as another RPI recruit Marty O'Grady, played on the same Canada East team as Cornell recruits Nick D'Agostino and Braden Birch last November [www.hockeycanada.ca].

Date: April 22, 2009 03:01PM

tretiak

[www.tsn.ca]

1st round pick + hobey baker finalist + national championship = nothing left to prove in college

as much as it pains me to root for a flyer, i hope van riemsdyk owns him in the nhl

Good call on Wilson.

Re: Other opponents leaving early
Date: April 24, 2009 05:01PM

lynah80
tretiak

[www.tsn.ca]

Good call on Wilson.

Others leaving early are listed here:

Date: May 10, 2009 06:50AM

INCH comments on Cornell's prospects for next year:

[www.insidecollegehockey.com]

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2009 09:52AM

I'm a bit surprised Yale isn't listed.

Date: May 13, 2009 02:46AM

scoop85
I'm a bit surprised Yale isn't listed.

Yale will have to find a good replacement for Alec Richards. Ryan Rondeau may be up to it, but he hasn't played a lot yet.

Date: May 13, 2009 02:08PM

...and now CHN follows with their predictions as well, with Cornell at #4 (pending other information, obviously):

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2009 02:15PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: May 13, 2009 02:30PM

Looks like a good matchup for MSG.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2009 04:21PM

Article about John Esposito from the Notre Dame (Sask) site [www.notredame.sk.ca].

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 16, 2009 10:54AM

Beeeej
...and now CHN follows with their predictions as well, with Cornell at #4 (pending other information, obviously):

This article:

[oilers.nhl.com]

makes it sound like the Oilers (and the author of the article) expect Riley to play his junior year at Cornell. We can all exhale a little :)

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 16, 2009 05:48PM

pfibiger
Beeeej

This article:

[oilers.nhl.com]

makes it sound like the Oilers (and the author of the article) expect Riley to play his junior year at Cornell. We can all exhale a little :)

That was fantastic to read. Hopefully this holds up.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 01:31AM

pfibiger
Beeeej

This article:

[oilers.nhl.com]

The club’s first-round pick (21st overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft has completed a second successful year at Cornell University, and although a third – and perhaps fourth – season of NCAA competition are in Nash’s the future...
Sounds good to me!

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2009 10:37PM

Josh '99
pfibiger
Beeeej

This article:

[oilers.nhl.com]

The club’s first-round pick (21st overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft has completed a second successful year at Cornell University, and although a third – and perhaps fourth – season of NCAA competition are in Nash’s the future...
Sounds good to me!
I like this part...

Prendergast is confident in Nash’s ability but admits his size is still a factor at this stage.

“He’s only 175 pounds, so we’ve got to get him bigger. He’s tall enough at 6’1” but he’s got to get bigger and the time at Cornell isn’t going to hurt him.”

Whether it takes one year or two for Nash to attain an NHL stature is yet to be determined, but the Oilers aren’t rushing him and will assess the 20-year-old’s development at the club’s prospect camp this summer.

“We don’t want to turn him pro when he’s not ready to turn pro,” Prendergast emphasizes. “We’ll have our prospect camp in July and we’ll have a pretty good idea of where he is at that point. If we feel he’s getting stronger, that’s great and we’ll think about it at the end of next hockey season, and if not, then we’ll wait the four years.”

Captains for 2009-2010
Date: May 27, 2009 02:38AM

According to the Cornell Hockey Quick Facts page:

[www.cornellbigred.com]

The captains for 2009-2010 are:

C: Colin Greening
A: Riley Nash and Blake Gallagher

It looks like Riley is staying for another season.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 02:45AM by lynah80.

Re: Captains for 2009-2010
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: May 27, 2009 07:44AM

lynah80

[www.cornellbigred.com]

That's certainly positive news, but IIRC, Shane Hynes was named an assistant captain before he made his ill-fated decision to bolt for the pros over the summer before his Senior year.

Re: Captains for 2009-2010
Date: May 27, 2009 12:27PM

scoop85
lynah80

[www.cornellbigred.com]

That's certainly positive news, but IIRC, Shane Hynes was named an assistant captain before he made his ill-fated decision to bolt for the pros over the summer before his Senior year.

Yes, I remember, but I think Riley is very different from Shane.

More departures for opponents
Posted by: lynah80 (---.uphs.upenn.edu)
Date: June 14, 2009 10:09PM

The list of early departures at CHN has grown from 13 to 17 recently.

Co-captain to be Brian Strait (Jr, D) has left BU and signed with Pittsburgh (NHL).

[www.uscho.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2009 10:12PM by lynah80.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login