Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 1 at Colgate 2 (ot)

Posted by Greg Berge 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cornell 1 at Colgate 2 (ot)
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: January 30, 2003 11:37PM

Um, it was a goal. I was right in front of it (as many of the Cornell fans were). It went high and under the bar and bounced out, a good second before the net came off. No doubt. Hard loss, but Colgate played well and kept us out of the middle most of the night. All our chances came from the outside. The posts sucked, especially right at the end of the second, but Colgate came to play (albeit maybe to tie by the end of the third).

It was a goal, I didn't find a person who disagreed. Dell was in a bad position to call it, talked to the assistant who was closer, and they made the right call.

Posted by: JNB (149.43.184.---)
Date: January 30, 2003 11:37PM

Oh, my ass. A goal it was, as the replay showed. I was at the game. and it was one of the most intense games ever at Starr Rink!

GO GATE!!!

GO BAND!!!

FIGHT!!!

Posted by: atb9 (---)
Date: January 30, 2003 11:46PM

Just came from the game...it was definitely a goal. Man, Colgate didn't look good and it's frustrating to lose that kind of game when we dominate so much. We put pressure on them the entire night. Dell didn't impress me. Sure, he wasn't calling stuff in the third because it was a close game but it seemed like some definite man humping wasn't called throughout the second. Murray hitting the post was a killer. I turned to my clapping, fro buddy and told him that it was the turning point--I should have kept my f-ing mouth shut. You could tell Colgate was playing for a tie...their fans were chanting "defense" the entire night--it felt like a bball game. What a tough loss and it is going to be ugly on Saturday. I hope the game doesn't get out of control.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: January 30, 2003 11:49PM

Al DeFlorio wrote:

We've been in a lot of close road games (Clarkson, SLU, RPI, and now tonight) since break and, when you tempt fate like that too often, sooner or later one is going to go the other way.
Not to mention a couple last semester: OSU #1 and WMU #2.

Date: January 30, 2003 11:53PM

Dell sucked... but he sucked both ways ('cept the 5 minuter). A guy would fall down, barely next to another guy, and he'd call it. A guy would get slapped upside the head or crosschecked from behind, and he wouldn't call it. He was terrible, but the game wasn't on him.

Date: January 30, 2003 11:59PM

Since I am an Adam also...and I'm also pissed about the loss...

I'll sit down and try to chill out. :-)

Man, this loss is shitty. I should have stayed home and watched from the hockey cam--er, no. It was fun watching and cheering against the Colgate fans. Too bad Lynah doesn't have general admission and never sells out because I'd like to see a similar contingent of Colgate fans try to go to work in Lynah like the faithful did in Starr rink.

Date: January 31, 2003 12:04AM

Trust me, whatever experience you had at the rink was better than watching the webcast. The play-by-play guy almost made my head explode. (Of course it didn't help that the chat room contained a spoiler for the game-ending goal before the puck even entered the zone, or that the homer announcers were screaming throughout the chaos of no-goal, yes-goal, and Colgate fleeing the ice in case Dell changed his mind again; the whole thing was so surreally annoying that it's hard to accept it, even having seen the replay.)

Date: January 31, 2003 12:05AM

Let me get this straight first, I'm not blaming the refs for our loss. We simply didn't finish when we had the chances. We had the powerplays and we just blew it. I would be bitching about Dell even if we had won 5-0 just as it looked like the game was heading to after our first goal.

But I don't like this sucking both ways stuff. Sure he was consistently bad for both teams but wtf, that doesn't make it right. Colgate was going after Moulson the entire game and Murray got slashed twice in the ankle. Poor ref-ing increases the chances for injury and if someone is out for the season, you won't be chiming this "consistently bad" song that I hear so often.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 12:09AM

One more thing before bed, the "best" thing I heard from the 'gate announcers in their post game wrap-up, was how great a moral victory this was for them. Well, duh, you won. Isn't that victory enough? Where does the moral part come in? I always thought that was when you lost, but played well, etc.. Still can't figure out the lack of handshakes, maybe Adam will be able to clue us in from the team.

Yeah, I know that was two things, but what the h@ll, I won't fall right off to sleep anyway.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 12:21AM

[q]I was at the game. and it was one of the most intense games ever at Starr Rink![/q]

I apologize for what you must have to normally see there if that was one of the most intense games ever.

Posted by: bigred apple (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 01:25AM

[q]One more thing before bed, the "best" thing I heard from the 'gate announcers in their post game wrap-up, was how great a moral victory this was for them. Well, duh, you won. Isn't that victory enough? Where does the moral part come in? [/q] It makes the SEASON a moral victory for Colgate, Jim.

Posted by: Janos (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 01:40AM

honestly. i give some respect to the band as they were by far better than any other opponent's band i have seen. however, with the flagrant copying of cornell cheers, lame "comebacks" by colgate fans, watching two of your fans molest a pig, and that god-awful music broadcast over the p.a. system, this was a horrible display of home-team "intensity"... oh yeah, and heckling marr, our backup goalie who hasn't seen a minute of action while leneveu has been on the active roster, the point of that was...?

anyway, congratulations on finally hitting the double digits in points this season -- i guess that brings you to be tied for 8th in the standings -- and definitely cherish the win against your self-appointed "rivals"

until then, we'll see you in the NCAA tournament. oh wait...

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 01:45AM

Lenny appears to still be practicing that Jedi Puck Trick thing...

Posted by: rhovorka (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 02:40AM

Well, most people already covered my observations pretty well. Not much more you can do except get the puck in the net. Two things I noticed got Colgate that win: an outstanding performance from Silverthorn, and really effective shot blocking. Silverthorn made several eye-popping saves, but gave up a lot of rebounds that Colgate was well positioned to clear. Cornell did a pretty good job at adjusting to the defensive positioning and sneaking around the blue-line pressure, but as time wore down, the frustration of blocked shots was apparent. And of course, I think those posts are still ringing. Murray's was about as hard as you can hit one. Lenny was very Lenny-like, coming up big in machine-like fashion a couple times. The first goal just squeezed under the leg pad after Colgate got some passing lanes opened up, and the OT goal was just one of those things where enemy sticks were in front to give it one too many swipes. Cornell looked great on the PP, just nothing would go in.

I didn't see the Hornby check that resulted in the major penalty, but at the time it occured to me that perhaps Dell was aware of Hornby's um...reputation and wasn't going to tolerate it. But if Adam says it's justified, then I believe it. I think that only carried a Game Misconduct and not a Game DQ, so he should be back on Saturday.

I disagree with Schafer's "saddle" comment. The Clarkson game last weekend featured much more "riding" and physical play. Colgate suceeded in keeping our guys away from rebounds, that's all.

So much icing in the 3rd by Colgate. The chances were so limited that passes that made it inside their offensive zone got cheers.

The OT goal was definitely in before the net came loose. I saw the puck hit the back of the net, and the last glimpse of a zebra I had before a Colgate screamer was in my face to taunt our section was that of one pointing at the net, so I wasn't even aware of any contraversy. Age et. al. said they thought it might have been a "kicking" contraversy, but I replaying it in my mind, it'd be hard to get a puck up that high in the net by kicking.

Mormina...didn't know it was him rubbing himself up against the glass like an idiot instead of celebrating with his team on a great win. I didn't mind that, because you can't call yourself a Cornell fan if you can't take it as you dish it out, be it from fans or players. I'm sort of hoping Coach Vaughan noticed.

The fans. I was sitting on the dividing line between the mass of Cornell fans and the vocal Colgate students. It's about what I remember Colgate students to be. The "leaders" of their section were more focused on the Cornell fans than the game. I didn't mind the Cornell Hockey t-shirts with a "F***s Sheep" sign taped underneath, but the Colgate alumnus with some kids in front of me wasn't too pleased. And it only took the guy with the vein popping from his forehead 2 periods to think up the "Waldo" insult of the band...before that it was a lame "Candy Canes." The "Jump off a bridge" blast was very popular and tiresome by the end. The taunting of Marr was short-lived, as was "Schafer wears a thong" whatever that meant. Watching them basically climb over one another like animals to get to the Cornell section for taunting was pretty amusing. And I got whapped in the face by the flag. But it's all good. A good win deserves to be enjoyed.

Coach Vaughan said [Q]"I think that the crowd tonight was the sixth man. They really were a big part of the win tonight. The guys on the bench would feel the energy in the building. I just hope we can continue to draw like that, because they were a big part of it tonight."[/Q]Wow, that's really sad. I think the fans at Union (a 6-0 Cornell blowout) had a better atmosphere and more energy. Not a very full house at Starr, and the only loud noise was after the OT goal.

Date: January 31, 2003 02:55AM

I have to agree with Rich on this one, though he was able to say it better than i could have. They did a great job of keeping us away from the rebounds / out of the middle / blocking shots. Exactly what we usually do to people. I didn't see that much riding. They were physical, and a couple interference calls when uncalled, but nothing horribly blatant. We had some good pressure, but few great opportunities from the inside. Colgate had fewer opportunities, but better qualities, with Lenny coming up big. The only thing that I thought was sketchy was their net seemed to come off an awful lot rolleyes

I also thought of Hornby having a rep. Calling from behind should be called, but a 5 and a misq (yes, not a DQ, he'll be there Sat) was overboard.

And yes, it was a goal... we almost got away with one, as i don't think the light went on, and the ref didn't see it... too bad the linesman did I guess... woulda been a major break though.

Posted by: Jeff (149.43.192.---)
Date: January 31, 2003 03:02AM

Rich wrote:

"Not a very full house at Starr, and the only loud noise was after the OT goal."

How was it not a full house? It was a sellout! There may have been some empty seats in the reserved seating, but the students showed up and were rewarded.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 04:33AM

Don't be spoil sports, guys -- they won a HUGE game for them, they have every right to celebrate. Cornell has the chance to make up for it Saturday, not to mention the possibility of a playoff meeting.

The harder our opponents play us, the better a test for the NCAA, and the more piss and vinegar the team will have going into the post-season. Maybe this will turn out to be one of those "losses with a silver lining."

Posted by: Tom Tone '0(>3 <8) (132.236.158.---)
Date: January 31, 2003 07:01AM

"however, with the flagrant copying of cornell cheers"

Copying Cornell cheers? None of the songs that Colgate played do we really have. Well maybe if you include the final countdown but nobody plays that like Colgate. I would hope that if the Cornell band ever played songs in the manner they were played last night, our fans would mercilessly boo. In addition, I really must admit that I am glad we have fans, alums, and dare I say, an athletic director that cares about class and style. The day we degenerate into a band that gets a 'sheep' thrill out of making paper animals will be a sad day for all.

Tom Tone

Posted by: schoaff (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 10:23AM

Boy that game reminded me of the last OSU game and to some extend the Maine game. In both of those games Cornell completely dominated faceoffs, controlled center ice, peppered the net with shots, and lost. Hard to complain about any of it. Some days the puck just doesn't go in. What are you going to do?

As for the overtime goal, I know the wonderful insightful webfeed announcers thought the issue was about the net being off before the goal, but I really think it was a question of it going in off a skate. The replay showed it being deflected in off the skate of a colgate player sliding in sideways (which is what caused it to go so high). However, if I were calling the game I would have called it deflection and not direction. So the goal was good as far as I could see (at 384 kbs).

Well, I've be able to see 3 Cornell games this year and they lost them all. Who wants to bribe me not to fly up for the ECAC tournament? ;-)

Posted by: rhovorka (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 12:20PM

[Q]It was a sellout! There may have been some empty seats in the reserved seating, but the students showed up and were rewarded.[/Q]

"Some" empty seats in reserved? Try half of them. And in the General Admission sections there were certainly some empty pockets all around. I'd say the place was 3/4 full and feel I was being generous. The Colgate athletic department can say it was a sellout all it wants.

But this is a silly point to argue about. The fans that were there were indeed rewarded with a great game, and an exciting finish. The students who were there definitely had a good time, and you can't fault that.

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 01:57PM

In no league at any level was Hornby's Checking from Behind a Major & Game Misconduct. . .no f'ing way! The same hit was given by Colgate's Rob Brown in the second and he only got a minor. If his intent was to call a tight game his intentions were short lived as he soon forgot how/when to raise his arm and blow his whistle.
They beat us but Dell just SUCKED 100%!uhoh

Posted by: Richard Stott (128.164.243.---)
Date: January 31, 2003 02:15PM

Maybe Hornby didn't deserve to be ejected, but Hornby is a very rough player who gets a lot of penalties, not a few of them dumb ones. If that had been on Cornell our fans would have called it a cheap shot. I think he sometimes hurts the team by doing it, but Schafer makes clear that he likes Hornby's aggressiveness.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 02:41PM

[q]In no league at any level was Hornby's Checking from Behind a Major & Game Misconduct. . .no f'ing way! The same hit was given by Colgate's Rob Brown in the second and he only got a minor. If his intent was to call a tight game his intentions were short lived as he soon forgot how/when to raise his arm and blow his whistle.
They beat us but Dell just SUCKED 100%![/q]

An addendum: About a minute into the penalty kill, Ben Wallace was cross-checked to the ice from behind. No call.

But there's no way to blame this loss in any way on the refs. We were ofer on the power play, their goalie played an excellent game, and the metal pipes behind him played even better. ;-)

Can't win 'em all. The team will move on.

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: January 31, 2003 03:09PM

Jordan wrote:

An addendum: About a minute into the penalty kill, Ben Wallace was cross-checked to the ice from behind. No call.
Was that the one that was right in front of Dell?

Horn-BY!
Date: January 31, 2003 11:03PM

When Hornby was a Freshman he seemed to be bent on outdoing his numerical predecessor and took a number of dumb penalties. After a few games he got a lot better at making legal hits and was just starting to be a force when he got his season-ending injury at the first Everblades tourney. For the last season and a half, he's been an entertaining and impressive physical presence, a consistent hustler, one of our speedier players, and has even displayed a bit of scoring touch. I'm not too worried that he's suffering some sort of a relapse, considering how quickly he got over his *ahem* problem at the start of his career.

Here's to the semi-guided missile having a whole game to knock the Raiders around Lynah tomorrow night.

Date: January 31, 2003 11:21PM

If he really did get a DQ, then he aint gonna be playing tomorrow either. But hopefully he just got a Game Misconduct and will be back in all his charm and grace.

Date: January 31, 2003 11:22PM

If the Colgate announcer is to be believed ("Icing Colgate!";), then it was a Misconduct and not a DQ.

Re: Horn-BY!
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 11:24PM

Agree 100%.

Granted he's missed four games with injury and most of one with the...ahem...DQ, but I don't think he's been on the ice for one goal-against this year.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: January 31, 2003 11:27PM

Sorry. It was a misconduct. What I was trying to say was that he was "DQ'd" from that game--unlike the four others he missed.

Date: February 01, 2003 02:37AM

It was a Game Misconduct. . .he will be dressed tomorrow night.

see box score here: [www.collegehockeystats.com]

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: February 01, 2003 04:43PM

Hey hey, the box score link at the top of the page for CHDB works just fine too =P

Date: February 01, 2003 05:16PM

Opps. . .sorry Agerolleyes

Date: February 01, 2003 06:20PM

I had no idea those were box score links. ;-)

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login