Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Clarkson Sucks Too

Posted by CowbellGuy 
Clarkson Sucks Too
Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 08:33PM

SLU is beating up on Clarkson, 6-2 in the second. Go Saints :)

Re: Clarkson Sucks Too
Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: January 29, 2002 08:57PM

What's going on with Clarkson??

Or should I say, what's going on with St. Lawrence??

And, if Clarkson doesn't do well during the regular season, does that mean that they'll kick into gear during post-season play (a la Cornell)?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio '65 (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 09:15PM

And Brown beats Mass-Lowell, 2-1.

Six goals for SLU in the 2nd period.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 09:24PM

Hrmm. Maybe nothing. So much for no offense. It's now 6-5 SLU.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.6.252.64.snet.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 10:08PM

Go Brown!

I'll admit that I still find it hard to believe but I suspect Brown is far better than anyone wants to give them credit. SCSU and UML fans have both claimed that this is a sign that their teams are falling apart. Rather, I suspect that this Brown squad is like the a certain Cornell squad in fairly recent memory that couldn't score but would keep games close with a stiffling D and occasionally pulling out a surprise win.

Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: January 29, 2002 10:14PM

SLU(t) holds on and WINS a 1-goal game, 6 - 5!!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio '65 (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 10:39PM

Pretty much the reverse of the earlier SLU-Clarkson game in Potsdam. Big lead for the home team whittled away by the visitor, but the home team hangs on.

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 11:03PM

some things that i thought of 2nite after the results...
cornell's future may be determined by teams within the ecac close to .500 if they do not win placid (knock on wood).

teams close to .500

clarkson (9-10-5)
brown (8-9-2)
bama (11-12-1) two with scsu this weekend
union (10-7-5)
dartmouth (9-8-3)
RPI (9-10-3)
harvard (9-6-3)

those are all the teams within 3 games of .500 that CU has played. so....let us hope that all of these teams end up above .500 except for harvard and dartmouth (since cornell lost to DC hahvahd ) :-(

Posted by: big red apple (63.94.240.---)
Date: January 30, 2002 03:14AM

I think we want DC and Harvard over .500 - we just need to beat them the next time out. If Dartmouth and Harvard are below .500, our SOS will be absolutely pathetic. It might even mean only one ECAC team in the NCAA's, and I don't want to stake an NCAA bid on winning the tournament. We can, and probably should, but Clarkson history tells us that having a good team isn't enough to win in LP.

I apologize for not being a traditionalist, Greg. I would rather win the NCAA's than the ECAC's. (Though I would take an ECAC tourney win and an NCAA first round loss over an ECAC loss and an NCAA Frozen Four.)

Strength of Schedule
Posted by: KeithK (---.lmco.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 09:06PM

With the exception of the Beanpot games, all of the remaining games are ECAC games. So my question is, does it make any difference to our SOS who wins any of the remaining ECAC games? If Dartmouth goes 0-9-0 the rest of the way isn't that perfectly balanced by 9 wins and 0 losses for other teams? Isn't the SOS component of RPI linear like that?

Re: Strength of Schedule
Posted by: Robb (---.156.77.3.dial1.dallas1.level3.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 09:54PM

Keith,

I think you are right in terms of RPI - losses will balance out wins in the opponents' (and opps' opps') win percentage. However, it does matter who is a TUC and who is not. IF we beat HU and DC next time out, we will have at least a .500 record against all ECAC teams, so we'd like them ALL to end up as TUCs. If we lose to HU/DC, we'd like them to end up below .500 so that our losses to them only hurt us in 2 categories (last 16 and RPI) rather than 3 (last 16, RPI, TUC). Therefore, it will matter who-beats-who, but what we want depends on how we do. I really love the complexity inherent in the PWR formula (yes, I would prefer KPWR!) - it makes it just complicated enough that the players can't possibly worry about all the nuances and possible scenarios - just win, and the numbers will take care of themselves!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 10:37PM

Also note that Cornell will have additional games against their playoff opponents. It seems to me that, if Cornell finishes #1, it would be best for Cornell if the #11 and #12 teams lose all their remaining games, giving us the "best" possible #10 record to play against. (By this logic, it would also pay for there to be no upsets throughout the tourny, so Cornell would meet the strongest-record opponent at each stage).

I don't think there's going to be an ECAC at large under any reasonable circumstance, so it's all moot. ;-)

Posted by: Neil Shapiro '83 (146.145.226.---)
Date: January 31, 2002 08:59AM

I think the only team that has a chance to be an ECAC at large selection is probably Cornell.

If we win every game until the ECAC final, get our ranking well into the top 10, and then lose the final, how could they avoid taking us as an at large team?

Date: January 31, 2002 11:58AM

If we were to go, for instance, 9-1-0 the rest of the way plus two QF wins and then split two in Placid (either way) I would bet that our PWR would be good enough for an at large bid. Obviously things depend on what other teams do and who ends up a TUC, but it seems likely. Not sure how many we could afford to lose though.

Posted by: Jason 95 (---.paulhastings.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 01:56PM

Although I'd love to see it, I think a 9-1 run is an awfully tall order for Cornell to fill. If that's what is necessary to get in w/o winning the conference tourny, I'm not going to hold my breath for an at-large bid. (If only the Everblades tourny went Cornell's way, or am I putting too much value in those games in terms of how they affect our pairwise?)

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: January 31, 2002 02:22PM

I don't pretend to understand the mechanics of the RPI and PWR anywhere near as well as other posters to this board, but I'd have to imagine that those two losses in the Everblades Tourney hurt us pretty substantially... Not only because they're two of only five losses on the year up to this point, but also because they're losses to TUCs (as are all of our losses), and were our only games against the CCHA, hurting our commen opponents criteria with a lot of CCHA teams, I'd imagine.

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: January 31, 2002 02:36PM

Jason N wrote:

(If only the Everblades tourny went Cornell's way, or am I putting too much value in those games in terms of how they affect our pairwise?)

Well, neither loss will affect our L16 directly as there are 16 regular season games scheduled after the Everblades tourney. Given OSU has 6 games left against Michigan, Michigan State and Alaska-Fairbanks, all of whom are ahead of OSU in the CCHA, coupled with 4 more games against Miami and Ferris State, who are only 2 and 3 pts behind OSU in the standings, I suspect OSU will not finish above .500. As such, the OSU loss should be a wash.

The loss to NMU on the other hand could very well keep us home if we do not win Placid. While we need a few more weeks before we can really speculate, that H2H loss could become critical.

Additionally, it really helps us for Harvard and Brown get hot down the stretch. A sweep of Brown with them as a TUC could help nicely. Likewise, if Harvard can win the the Beanpot, that should help our RPI. Also, a RS split with Harvard and a postseason win, coupled with a Harvard Beanpot, would, I imagine, help our cOP.

9-1-0
Date: January 31, 2002 02:53PM

I used 9-1-0 as a relative extreme, a record down the stretch which I am pretty sure would do it. 8-2-0 might do it. 7-3-0 might even be good enough, though I haven't checked any numbers.

You're right, 9-1-0 is a tall order (though not impossible - see '96 stretch run). 7-3-0 is a more reasonable expectation.

A good finish by Brown, RPI and Clarkson (all teams we've beaten near near TUC status) would help.

Re: 9-1-0
Posted by: Tom Lento (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 06:53PM

UAH! Don't forget UAH! Assuming they drop their next two, if they can win 5.5 of their final 8 games they finish as a TUC, giving us two additional wins and (at this point) at least one or two more comparisons. It seems like Cornell's worst category is TUC.

So everybody root for the Chargers! Go UAH!

Win the ECAC's, then worry about the NCAA's
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 10:44PM

The ECAC title is the sine qua non standard of the season's excellence. The NCAA bid is cream on top.

Request: please change the subject line when you post a reply; it makes threaded view useful. Otherwise it's pretty useless.

Definition of "win the ECACs"
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: January 31, 2002 11:15PM

Greg, I agree wholeheartedly--assuming you mean winning in Lake Placid.

Threaded vs Flat
Posted by: jason (---.summit01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2002 11:26PM

Greg,
Maybe it's long years of being "programmed" by the old CHDF (sounds funny to say "old";), but I don't find the threaded format that appealing/comfortable. I think of each topic as a linear thread with all posts being a contribution to the topic. I'm probably inadvertantly undermining the thread approach by tacking whatever replay I have to the last post appearing in the flat view. (I'll have to try to be conscious of choosing reply for the specific post that I'm replying to and not just the last post under the topic.)

Re: Threaded vs Flat
Posted by: Admin (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 11:32PM

You know, the CHDF did have a threaded view option...

Flat is Phat
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 12:55PM

I usually just tack onto flat, myself. I was playing around with the threaded view yesterday, and it does make the forum more flexible. Of course, it probably requires more concentration and planning than I'm usually willing to give. ;-)

Oh, and since this hasn't come up on this thread in a while, Clarkson Sucks Too.

= Placid
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 12:58PM

Yes, I meant Placid. RS #1 would be fun, but it's not something anybody treasures. Anybody remember Yale '98?

just in case you forgot
Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 01:13PM

clarkson and harvard both SUCK :-O

Re: = Placid
Posted by: Neil Shapiro '83 (146.145.226.---)
Date: February 01, 2002 01:16PM

I know the RS title is not significant anymore, now that the guaranteed bye for winning both RS and ECAC tournament is gone, but....

Given the fact that Cornell has been one of the more dominant ECAC teams doesn't anybody else have a problem with the fact that we haven't won the RS title in the lifetime of the current student body?

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: February 01, 2002 02:45PM

I love winning the tournament. And I love the thrill of getting an NCAA bid. As Neil Shapiro points out, however, I have never had the thrill of seeing Cornell win a regular season title (I've never even seen a basketball title - I was a senior in HS in 1988) - and I am really hoping that this is the year.

I think that an RS title would be good enough to get to the NCAA's (using as "I think" as a very crude proxy for "scientific analysis";) and I really want the thrill of a regular season title.

Of course my nightmare is a Cornell RS win and Clarkson taking the tourney. Vic B would (good-naturedly) have a field day with our past derogation of the RS in favor of the tournament.

We have a team this year that just may be good enough to take the whole ball-o-wax, and I want to use the RS to make sure that they are there to take the pressure off of the tournament.

Posted by: vicb (---.s233.tnt1.clmb.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: February 02, 2002 07:33AM

Of course my nightmare is a Cornell RS win and Clarkson taking the tourney. Vic B would (good-naturedly) have a field day with our past derogation of the RS in favor of the tournament.

That would be every Clarkson Fans dream come true :-) . I think this year Cornell has nothing to worry about as far as that scenario coming true. Of coarse the Patriots are in the Super Bowl so anything could happen. My take on the Big Red is that if they go 9-1 0r 8-2 to win the regular season title, as long as they don't pull a Clarkson and lose to the 10th place team in the opening round of the playoffs, they are in the NC$$. And I will be cheering them on :-) .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login