Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Hockey European Tour

Posted by Beeeej 
Cornell Hockey European Tour
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2014 11:09AM

The latest missive from Coach:

Hello Everyone: Summer is here, but it is quite busy around the hockey office. Recruiting in the months of June and July are two of the busiest months of the year as the assistants head to tryout camps and other showcases across the country. Attached is the preview of our schedule for next year [note from Beeeej: I will post this in the schedule thread.]. We will be releasing it early next week.

This summer we will be taking Cornell Hockey’s first foreign tour to Europe ever. We will be leaving on August the 8th and returning on the 18th. We will be playing 3 to 4 games against professional teams in Switzerland and Italy.

The NCAA allows teams to go on foreign tours once every four years. Cornell Hockey has never gone on a foreign tour. The tour allows for extra practice and competition and will also create memories for these Cornellians that will last a lifetime!

Our goal for this year’s fundraising is $225 because we added $75K to what would be our normal fund-raising goal. The $75K is to help fund the team’s August trip to northern Italy and Switzerland. The total cost of the trip is about $150K. We have some money in our special gifts account from previous years and we also have to support from our Cornell Hockey Association and a few individuals.

Many of you have already given this year and this email is a reminder for many to make their gift before the end of the fiscal year which is June 30th. To reach this goal not only do we need the support of alumni who have been the rock of the program by giving every year but we really need the help of those of who never given or occasionally give support. PLEASE CONSIDER A GIFT THIS YEAR!

I invite you click on the following link, which will allow you to make your gift online using a credit card. Be sure to designate MEN’S ICE HOCKEY.

[www.giving.cornell.edu]

If it is easier to make a gift by check, you may send checks made payable to Cornell University with Cornell Hockey on the memo line to the following address:
CORNELL UNIVERSITY
BOX 223623
PITTSBURGH, PA 15251

Thanks for all you do for Cornell Big Red Hockey!

Sincerely, Mike

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Cornell Hockey European Tour
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 11:17AM

I'm sure jtw would be willing top accompany the team to oversee streaming video. **]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 13, 2014 02:36PM

Trotsky
I'm sure jtw would be willing top accompany the team to oversee streaming video. **]
Are we sure JTW won't be rooting for the Swiss teams? uhoh

Date: June 13, 2014 03:19PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
Can't hurt. Things haven't worked out well lately with him rooting for us.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2014 01:13PM

Trotsky
Josh '99
Trotsky
It's all John's fault! It's all John's fault! It's all John's fault!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2014 09:05AM

Josh '99
Trotsky
Josh '99
Trotsky

Sorry, this thread showed up on the day I arrived in Germahy for my sabbatical, so I didn't see it until now. :-} Anyone know the teams on the schedule for the tour? Not that I'd expect to make it down from Hannover (although it would be amusing if Siddharth's first Cornell hockey game was in Europe), but I'm curious. Last I heard Justin Krueger was playing in Bern again, so I'm guessing SC Bern would be on the list. If they're going to Northern Italy, they might be playing one of the Swiss-Italian teams like HC Lugano or HC Ambri-Piotta. I suppose Robb can tell us if they're playing HC Geneve-Servette. ;-) HC Davos would also be an interesting choice, since they have a lot of tradition with the Spengler Cup. I know nothing about Italian hockey clubs, so I have no idea who they'd be playing there, but I know Trento is a nice town...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: July 29, 2014 09:29AM

jtwcornell91
Josh '99
Trotsky
Josh '99
Trotsky

Sorry, this thread showed up on the day I arrived in Germahy for my sabbatical, so I didn't see it until now. :-} Anyone know the teams on the schedule for the tour? Not that I'd expect to make it down from Hannover (although it would be amusing if Siddharth's first Cornell hockey game was in Europe), but I'm curious. Last I heard Justin Krueger was playing in Bern again, so I'm guessing SC Bern would be on the list. If they're going to Northern Italy, they might be playing one of the Swiss-Italian teams like HC Lugano or HC Ambri-Piotta. I suppose Robb can tell us if they're playing HC Geneve-Servette. ;-) HC Davos would also be an interesting choice, since they have a lot of tradition with the Spengler Cup. I know nothing about Italian hockey clubs, so I have no idea who they'd be playing there, but I know Trento is a nice town...
I thought you said Trenton for a second, and I was like WHAAAAAAT?

Date: July 29, 2014 03:48PM

jtwcornell91
Last I heard Justin Krueger was playing in Bern again, so I'm guessing SC Bern would be on the list.
Is Krueger Sr. coaching that team or a different one?

Chartrand was connected with Rapperswil-Jona.

Cook played for Davos (as did Nethery long, long ago) and Langau (Iggy played for the latter).

Doll played for Lugano.

Knoepfli had a long Swiss career with Geneve Servette, Lugano, and Fribourg-Gotteron.

In Italy, Pegs played for Asiago HC, Troy Davenport played for Valpellice, and Mark McCutcheon played for Bolzano HC.

At least the players get to drink legally after a game for once.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 03:50PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 29, 2014 11:52PM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Last I heard Justin Krueger was playing in Bern again, so I'm guessing SC Bern would be on the list.

At least the players get to drink legally after a game for once.

Fall Creek House, RIP.

Posted by: jkahn (---.bobbroadband.com)
Date: July 30, 2014 09:39AM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Ralph Krueger is now Chairman of the Southampton football club in the English Premier League. His last hockey duty before that was being a special adviser to the coaching staff of the 2014 Canadian Olympic team.

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: July 30, 2014 01:59PM

jkahn
Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Ralph Krueger is now Chairman of the Southampton football club in the English Premier League. His last hockey duty before that was being a special adviser to the coaching staff of the 2014 Canadian Olympic team.

Didn't know that about Ralph...if he gets a commission on player sales he's going to have a very successful year.

Date: July 31, 2014 11:52AM

jkahn
Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Holy crap, is that the same Ralph Krueger? He's been in the news a ton lately with all the upheaval at Southampton.

Posted by: jkahn (---.bobbroadband.com)
Date: July 31, 2014 04:19PM

Josh '99
jkahn
Trotsky
jtwcornell91
Holy crap, is that the same Ralph Krueger? He's been in the news a ton lately with all the upheaval at Southampton.
Yes, the same Ralph Krueger
[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: sah67 (---.ornith.cornell.edu)
Date: August 08, 2014 09:42AM

Twitter updates from the European tour:
[twitter.com]

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 09, 2014 09:42AM

Who is this "Coach Howley" that is pictured with his wife on the Twitter feed?

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: August 09, 2014 12:29PM

redice
Who is this "Coach Howley" that is pictured with his wife on the Twitter feed?
He has been the strength and conditioning coach for the last 19 years. He has been promoted to Assistant and now Associate AD.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.dynamic.sonic.net)
Date: August 09, 2014 02:19PM

The first game just ended. Cornell tied Mike Knoepfli and HC Red Ice 3-3 and prevailed in the shootout.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2014 02:28PM by cbuckser.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 09, 2014 11:27PM

Posted by: cbuckser (---.google.com)
Date: August 11, 2014 06:53PM

Date: August 12, 2014 04:30PM

The team traveled to Porrentruy, Switzerland to face HC Ajoie tonight. The hockey game ended in a 2-2 tie, and Ajoie won the shootout.

That is the last hockey game the team will play in Europe. The team will visit Rome, Venice, and Milan before returning home.

Edit: I updated the Storify post to include more information and highlights.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 01:01PM by cbuckser.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 14, 2014 10:25PM

cbuckser were you at the games or just providing info (helpful of course). I'm curious on the scouting report for some of the new kids like Alex Rauter if anyone saw the games.

Posted by: Snapper (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2014 08:37AM

Freshmen did not make the trip. NCAA rules.

Date: August 15, 2014 12:54PM

RatushnyFan
cbuckser were you at the games or just providing info (helpful of course). I'm curious on the scouting report for some of the new kids like Alex Rauter if anyone saw the games.
I'm just gathering info from almost 6,000 miles away. Think of it as the 21st century version of The Big Red Hotline.

Posted by: Snapper (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2014 03:52PM

Goaltending I heard was spot on! Big shoes to fill with the loss of Andy.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2014 05:23PM

Snapper
Goaltending I heard was spot on! Big shoes to fill with the loss of Andy.

But Iles was not the answer, so what's hard about that?

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2014 09:12PM

just wondering why could freshmen not travel with the team? they can in other sports for these types of things. is hockey different in those rules?

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2014 10:33PM

Also curious about Sade. Spoke with his junior billet family today and they were so positive on him as a person.........and as a great stay at home defenseman who can really hit.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2014 08:02AM

upprdeck
just wondering why could freshmen not travel with the team? they can in other sports for these types of things. is hockey different in those rules?

I am not sure that they are even freshman yet, assuming they matriculate in the fall like all other freshmen.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.fs.cornell.edu)
Date: August 18, 2014 09:20AM

I know all the kentucky FR bball players played in their Jamaica trip the last couple of weeks. Perhaps they need to be doing summer session stuff? I would think if it were possible the kids would find a way to do it to get a jump on things.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 18, 2014 11:55AM

upprdeck
I know all the kentucky FR bball players played in their Jamaica trip the last couple of weeks. Perhaps they need to be doing summer session stuff? I would think if it were possible the kids would find a way to do it to get a jump on things.
I think the rules ($$$) for Kentucky are different.

Posted by: toddlose (50.153.135.---)
Date: August 18, 2014 12:11PM

The rules are different for Calipari (in his mind anyway), not Kentucky.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2014 10:32PM

upprdeck
If freshmen weren't eligible, the traveling team would be the five gawky upperclassmen from the end of the bench with compensating GPAs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login