Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Top Ten Band Playlist of All Time

Posted by TimV 
Top Ten Band Playlist of All Time
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: October 22, 2013 02:42PM

While reading the thread on Top Ten Lynah TraditionsI thought A list of Top Ten Band songs of all time,would be fun. Maybe add a little Kasey Kasem: "This Kansas song was added to the repertoire when a bandmember's father chastised him for his habitual hockey road trips and his proclivity for besotted overnights on strangers' couches. Coming in at Number three...."

Re: Top Ten Band Playlist of All Time
Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: October 22, 2013 03:30PM

TimV
While reading the thread on Top Ten Lynah TraditionsI thought A list of Top Ten Band songs of all time,would be fun. Maybe add a little Kasey Kasem: "This Kansas song was added to the repertoire when a bandmember's father chastised him for his habitual hockey road trips and his proclivity for besotted overnights on strangers' couches. Coming in at Number three...."

For the kids out there, you can catch Casey Kasem and re-runs of the American Top 40 on Sirius/XM channel 7 (70s station). ;-)

Personally, I'm partial to the "Hey Bâby" song and I dedicate that to "Abby-Bâby", my hockey hound (new avatar coming soon).

Posted by: BMac (---.smartleaf.com)
Date: October 23, 2013 03:50PM

1. Pinball Wizard
2. Jungle Love
3. Schafer Beer Song

(large gap)

4. Paradise City
5. Espana
6. Sir Duke

But that's just me.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 03:58PM

1. Sing, Sing, Sing

(large gap)

2. Everything else

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-10.myvzw.com)
Date: October 23, 2013 04:50PM

The Theme from Dragnet (My wife thought this was a random funeral dirge )

Theme from The Rockford Files

Hey Bâby

Posted by: CAS (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2013 04:59PM

Macho Man

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2013 06:11PM

Originally a marching band song, I believe, the old "Who eats the moose" was a favorite when transplanted to Lynah.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 06:35PM

peterg
Originally a marching band song, I believe, the old "Who eats the moose" was a favorite when transplanted to Lynah.
I heard that at Colgate on a road trip in 83 or 84. It was a salty version.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: October 23, 2013 06:57PM

peterg

First off, as Scersk has reminded me on a recorded occasion, it's "Who Is The Moose," although your version is often sung. Second, it is a direct parody of one of Columbia's fight songs, "Who Owns New York," which itself is an adapted version of some 1800s popular tune "We Are The Stuff," as detailed in this wiki section. While I don't know the history of how it came to Cornell, I like to think it's origin was a comment that the historically bad Columbia football teams are rarely the best Ivy in NY. (Insert obvious comment about this football season)

That said, for those not familiar with the current usage, it's generally a trumpet-led cheer used to hijack a song that has already begun, especially on events when an alumni conductor is making a guest appearance, with lyrics adjusted to fit the occasion, or current mindset of the band.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2013 06:59PM by RichH.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2013 09:54PM

Haven't heard this in ages from the band -- "Sweet Georgia Brown"

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 09:57PM

I'm also going to post this on the Lynah Faithful thread.

My first time in Lynah, I got there about half an hour early. The lights over the ice were off, and the rink was dark and ominous. Then, as the team waited in the tunnel, the band started playing the the Peter Gunn Theme as the boys skated onto the ice. The Red skated around the rink and then its half. First a few, then more and more players took shots. There was something jazzy and classy about it, and yet ominous and menacing. Like red sharks getting ready to feast on their prey. And I was hooked.

Not surprisingly, I find a certain similarity between the Peter Gunn Theme and this theme from a film about sharks.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 24, 2013 07:58AM

RichH
peterg

First off, as Scersk has reminded me on a recorded occasion, it's "Who Is The Moose," although your version is often sung. Second, it is a direct parody of one of Columbia's fight songs, "Who Owns New York," which itself is an adapted version of some 1800s popular tune "We Are The Stuff," as detailed in this wiki section. While I don't know the history of how it came to Cornell, I like to think it's origin was a comment that the historically bad Columbia football teams are rarely the best Ivy in NY. (Insert obvious comment about this football season)

That said, for those not familiar with the current usage, it's generally a trumpet-led cheer used to hijack a song that has already begun, especially on events when an alumni conductor is making a guest appearance, with lyrics adjusted to fit the occasion, or current mindset of the band.

Actually freshman year a dorm-mate of mine was in the marching band. He said it was "Who eats the moose" as well.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr1.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 24, 2013 08:04AM

Larry72

Ahhh, Nancy Miller (not sure what instrument she played), taking her turn to lead the band for that one song each game, and wiggling that sweet...well, you get the idea.

Date: October 24, 2013 09:59AM

Killer
Larry72

Ahhh, Nancy Miller (not sure what instrument she played), taking her turn to lead the band for that one song each game, and wiggling that sweet...well, you get the idea.

If I'm thinking of the same person, she was percussion.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2013 10:18AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
peterg

Actually freshman year a dorm-mate of mine was in the marching band. He said it was "Who eats the moose" as well.
I've been told "eats" as well, though probably not by anyone as authoritative (or, at least, loud and vehement) as Scersk.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: October 24, 2013 10:44AM

1. Davy in 3

Posted by: dag14 (---.ag.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2013 12:18PM

I didn't realize Nancy Miller actually played an instrument....

Posted by: BMac (---.smartleaf.com)
Date: October 24, 2013 02:52PM

Unbelievably, I forgot 25 or 6 to 4.

Adjusted rankings:

1. Pinball Wizard
1A. 25 or 6 to 4
2. Jungle Love
3. Schafer Beer Song

(large gap)

4. Paradise City
5. Espana
6. Sir Duke

Posted by: ScrewBUHarvardtoo (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2013 03:25PM

I'm glad my article prompted this discussion. In band my favorite songs to play are Pinball Wizard, Everybody's Everything, Take on Me and Holiday. And of course Schafer's Beer! And for those who have been to games in recent years, Espana ("cymbal guy" song) is always a crowd pleaser

Date: October 24, 2013 03:41PM

ScrewBUHarvardtoo
Espana ("cymbal guy" song) is always a crowd pleaser
That guy is pretty amazing. Has it always been such a maniacal song for cymbal, or is that his special contribution? I never noticed anything special about it before.

Posted by: ScrewBUHarvardtoo (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2013 04:22PM

Trotsky
ScrewBUHarvardtoo
Espana ("cymbal guy" song) is always a crowd pleaser
That guy is pretty amazing. Has it always been such a maniacal song for cymbal, or is that his special contribution? I never noticed anything special about it before.

That song has been played for years now, but only in the past 3 years or so has the percussion section been visible to the whole rink so people could actually see the awesomeness of the cymbal guy.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 11:29AM

Josh '99
Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
peterg

First off, as Scersk has reminded me on a recorded occasion, it's "Who Is The Moose," although your version is often sung. ...

I've been told "eats" as well, though probably not by anyone as authoritative (or, at least, loud and vehement) as Scersk.

Isn't loudness 9/10ths of authority? And I was told so by Clavin ('94), who is a full 150% louder than I am. Unthinkably loud. So he must have been right.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 12:12PM

My rankings are conditioned by years in the stands as a townie, so I'm going to bring up a few oldies.

First, my commentary [in brackets] on BMac's ratings:

BMac

Adjusted rankings:

1. Pinball Wizard [A marching band song; although, it's the best for turning heads, e.g., vs. Clarkson, Lake Placid, '96.]
1A. 25 or 6 to 4 [double classic—"Twenty-four for just eight bucks!"]
2. Jungle Love [Why thank you, thank you very much.]
3. Schafer Beer Song [Since it's part of the routine, I'm not sure it should be on the list. I'll remove it. But it is, in fact, a super great arrangement.]

(large gap)

4. Paradise City [Sucks.]
5. Espana [Overplayed, under-inspired.]
6. Sir Duke [What?]

1. Pinball Wizard [See above.]
2. Birdland [Sadly not played as much as it used to be.]
3. 25 or 6 to 4
4. Soul Man [Ditto. Probably my favorite pep band song as a kid-townie.]
5. Everybody's Everything [Best song for showing off the band's skills, section-by-section.]
6. The Impression that I Get [Best of the new stuff.]
7. Star! [Personal favorite.]
8. Sing, Sing, Sing [I never understood this when in the band, but from outside it sounds like wonderful controlled chaos.]
9. Rockford Files [Also marching band, but a 'bone favorite. Played slower, it's better than it is right now.]
10. Basin Street Blues [Played with the proper dynamics and tempo change at the finish, a real showoff piece for the band.]

Honorable, or Dishonorable, Mentions

*. Vehicle [Needs revival. Played at the right tempo, the band sounds, almost, cool.]
*. Make Me Smile [Great tune. The arrangement could be better, though.]
*. Olympic Sprit [It's all we have! Would that we had an arrangement of Olympic Fanfare and Theme. Hmmm.]
*. Jungle Love [Recusal.]
*. Caravan [Clarkson.]
*. Russian Sailors' Dance [Which Clarkson hasn't played in years. Probably the most impressive other band tune I've ever heard.]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2013 12:13PM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2013 03:42PM

Chris '03
1. Davy in 3
Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

(From a practical standpoint, by far my least favorite thing to play, though.)

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2013 04:11PM

Chris '03
1. Davy in 3

+1

Also Dvorak Symphony No.9 Trombone part. (Not really a band piece, but intimidating anyway.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2013 04:13PM by Bahnstorm.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.d.usd.edu)
Date: October 25, 2013 04:16PM

25 or 6 to 4 and Espana for me.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 05:18PM

Scersk '97
My rankings are conditioned by years in the stands as a townie, so I'm going to bring up a few oldies.

First, my commentary [in brackets] on BMac's ratings:

BMac

Adjusted rankings:

1. Pinball Wizard [A marching band song; although, it's the best for turning heads, e.g., vs. Clarkson, Lake Placid, '96.]
1A. 25 or 6 to 4 [double classic—"Twenty-four for just eight bucks!"]
2. Jungle Love [Why thank you, thank you very much.]
3. Schafer Beer Song [Since it's part of the routine, I'm not sure it should be on the list. I'll remove it. But it is, in fact, a super great arrangement.]

(large gap)

4. Paradise City [Sucks.]
5. Espana [Overplayed, under-inspired.]
6. Sir Duke [What?]

1. Pinball Wizard [See above.]
2. Birdland [Sadly not played as much as it used to be.]
3. 25 or 6 to 4
4. Soul Man [Ditto. Probably my favorite pep band song as a kid-townie.]
5. Everybody's Everything [Best song for showing off the band's skills, section-by-section.]
6. The Impression that I Get [Best of the new stuff.]
7. Star! [Personal favorite.]
8. Sing, Sing, Sing [I never understood this when in the band, but from outside it sounds like wonderful controlled chaos.]
9. Rockford Files [Also marching band, but a 'bone favorite. Played slower, it's better than it is right now.]
10. Basin Street Blues [Played with the proper dynamics and tempo change at the finish, a real showoff piece for the band.]

Honorable, or Dishonorable, Mentions

*. Vehicle [Needs revival. Played at the right tempo, the band sounds, almost, cool.]
*. Make Me Smile [Great tune. The arrangement could be better, though.]
*. Olympic Sprit [It's all we have! Would that we had an arrangement of Olympic Fanfare and Theme. Hmmm.]
*. Jungle Love [Recusal.]
*. Caravan [Clarkson.]
*. Russian Sailors' Dance [Which Clarkson hasn't played in years. Probably the most impressive other band tune I've ever heard.]

Going to have to think harder about this, but missing from this list:

"Doctor Worm," which is a good arrangement of a fun TMBG song, and seems to get a lot of positive comments from road fans seeing the band for the first time. It has probably become the #2 "signature song" after Pinball Wizard.

"Silverado." I always group it with "Espana" for whatever dumb reason, but it's less of a chop-buster and also a better put-together song.

"Time Warp." It's a decent arrangement, especially for this time of year, and you do see a little hint of audience participation. Good song to show off the percussion.

"Gimmie Some Lovin" At the right tempo (ie slower than currently played), it's solid. "Soul Man" probably trumps it when it comes to songs associated with the Blues Brothers.

"In The Stone" and "Only Time Will Tell" Rarely ever played, these show good range for an echo-y arena.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2013 06:29PM

1. Pinball Wizard
2. Power (never played any more; sadface)
3. Get It On
4. Carry On Wayward Son
5. 25 Or 6 To 4

759. Macho Man

Hon. Mentions: Battlestar Galactica, Star (with the right lead trumpet), Vehicle

Posted by: HeafDog (---.c3-0.80w-ubr2.nyr-80w.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 26, 2013 12:29AM

I am nearly incredulous that the theme from The A-Team has not yet been mentioned. My buds and I got so pumped up by it that we couldn't help but sing it completely out of the blue when we were away from CU on a Colorado ski trip during Spring Break '97.

I also love "Hold On, I'm Comin'", played especially loud.

Rock 'n' Roll, Part 2, of course, always a fave, as are NCFS and its sibling auxiliary drinking/fight song ("Back To My Cornell", is it?). I also heart Olympic Spirit and Gimmie Some Lovin'.

I wish the Rockford Files theme would die a slow death. Never will understand the popularity of that one.

Seeing as how there are undoubtedly some bandies reading this thread, may I suggest a couple of songs?
- Talking In Your Sleep (by the Romantics)
- Tubthumping (by Chumbawumba -- I fully expect one heck of a backlash for this one)

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 10:58AM

HeafDog
- Tubthumping (by Chumbawumba -- I fully expect one heck of a backlash for this one)

Former bandie starting the backlash parade. Feel free to +1 the backlash.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 26, 2013 12:17PM

Chris '03
1. Davy in 3

+1

HeafDog

Just be patient. It'll come right after they start playing Zombie Nation.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 04:14PM

abmarks
HeafDog

From [www.yale.edu]

It would be hard to find an ensemble where Zepellin, Sean Paul, and Ace of Base are all appreciated for their respective musical merits. Hell, we even played "Tubthumping" at one point, and may God have mercy on our souls.

To editorialize, that song has three notes. Not chords. Notes. It would be awful.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 04:24PM by RichH.

Posted by: HeafDog (---.c3-0.80w-ubr2.nyr-80w.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: October 26, 2013 05:11PM

RichH
abmarks
HeafDog

From [www.yale.edu]

It would be hard to find an ensemble where Zepellin, Sean Paul, and Ace of Base are all appreciated for their respective musical merits. Hell, we even played "Tubthumping" at one point, and may God have mercy on our souls.

To editorialize, that song has three notes. Not chords. Notes. It would be awful.

Okay, okay, forget I said it. I take it back! No Tubthumping. Whoever likes that song is a douche. But I still stand by my suggestion of "Talking In Your Sleep".

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 07:01PM

HeafDog
But I still stand by my suggestion of "Talking In Your Sleep".
Still douchey, though admittedly less so than "What I Like about You."

If you want a 1983 pop song, I suggest "Little Red Corvette." The horns would have fun on the chorus.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 30, 2013 10:30PM

Bahnstorm
Chris '03
1. Davy in 3

+1

Also Dvorak Symphony No.9 Trombone part. (Not really a band piece, but intimidating anyway.)

I liked this so much I made the fourth movement of Dvorak's 9th the background musing for the ECAC Hockey Report back when I was doing college radio on KCSB in grad school in the mid-90s. (Several other ECAC bands also do, or did, New World.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2014 10:56AM

marty
The Theme from Dragnet (My wife thought this was a random funeral dirge )

Theme from The Rockford Files

Hey Bâby

Hey, Bâby to be inducted into Cornell Athletic Hall of Fame.

Date: August 08, 2014 11:36AM

George64
Hey, Bâby to be inducted into Cornell Athletic Hall of Fame.

That is great news. IMHO, the poster manchild for "totally awesome players never expected to be totally awesome."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login