Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Recruit - Evan Salmela

Posted by RedFan 
New Recruit - Evan Salmela
Posted by: RedFan (---)
Date: January 25, 2003 03:29PM

Looks like we got a real good one!
From the recruits site
Evan Salmela-LD (1/24/03) Springfield (NAHL) 5'11 170 6-13-83 CORNELL
Some info on him, seems to be a goal scoring defenseman.
[www.chicagofreeze.com]
[www.pittsburghpost-gazette.com]
[www.nahl.com]
Hope these links work.

Re: New Recruit - Evan Salmela
Date: January 25, 2003 03:32PM

And since the links work, here's one more
[www.chicagofreeze.com]
and I promise I'll stop now.

Posted by: Section A (---)
Date: January 25, 2003 03:37PM

Wow, that's terrific - good to see they're working on getting strong defensemen to replace the defensive trio of Murray, Bell, and McRae.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---)
Date: January 25, 2003 03:44PM

What I like is that they beat out a big swinger in Michigan State for him. Hopefully, he will take over Murray's spot on the powerplay with Cook or Pegoraro on the other point.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: January 25, 2003 04:13PM

Now if Mike could recruit the NAHL's Anthony Zancanaro and Carmen Posteraro and put 'em on a line with Dan Pegoraro...then I'd really feel good about next year. nut

Might not make Adam Wodon's day, though. uhoh

Posted by: jeh25 (---)
Date: January 25, 2003 04:22PM

Al DeFlorio wrote:

Now if Mike could recruit the NAHL's Anthony Zancanaro and Carmen Posteraro and put 'em on a line with Dan Pegoraro...then I'd really feel good about next year.

Doesn't BU have a mite sized player named Zancanaro?

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: January 25, 2003 04:33PM

Yep, Brad.

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---)
Date: January 25, 2003 04:41PM

"HEY BRAD!! You're not a player, you're a midget. . .you're not a midget, you're a dwarf. . .you're not a dwarf, you're a munchkin. . .you're not a munchkin, YOU JUST SUCK!"

:-))

Posted by: Greg Berge (---)
Date: January 25, 2003 04:50PM

A team with food poisoning issues gets a guy with a name close to Salmanella. I guess that works. ;-)

Good news ... is there an O'Byrne update?
Posted by: Hillel (---)
Date: January 25, 2003 04:59PM

This is truly good news. We'll see if Schafer permits him to continue to be the risk-taking offensive defenseman he appears to have become.

What's up with O'Byrne? Hooboy, I'd love to snatch one from Maine and one from Michigan State in this class.

Salmela is a good, old-school Finnish name. Wonder if he's a cloaked import, like Doug.

Lenny
Posted by: nyc94 (---)
Date: January 25, 2003 05:03PM

When did the rumors start the LeNeveu might not come back next year? Better question is where did the rumor start, on campus or amongst this board?

Re: Lenny
Date: January 25, 2003 05:14PM

Feels like it's starting right here and now.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: January 25, 2003 05:17PM

Nah, last year's April Fool's Day edition of the Sun said that Murray and Lenny signed professional contracts. If it was said after his freshman year (which is was), it'll be said every year. Let's just hope it doesn't come true for another two and a half years.

Date: January 25, 2003 05:19PM

> What's up with O'Byrne?

Presumably he's visiting campus this weekend, or at any rate very soon. It would indeed be sweet to land him as well. Why rebuild when you can reload?

Posted by: nyc94 (---)
Date: January 25, 2003 05:21PM

One of the other threads today is spreading the idea like it is April 1 today. We could rename it the paranoid doomsday scenerio thread.

Date: January 25, 2003 05:28PM

Yale gets the Freeze's goalie. Should see lotsa ice time next year in New Haven.:-P

[www.chicagofreeze.com]

Date: January 25, 2003 05:33PM

Geez...there's a 'tender in that league named Zaniboni. Can we get him, too? help

Posted by: G (---)
Date: January 26, 2003 12:30AM

In 1876, Cornell was the first university in the United States to award a DVM degree to Daniel E. Salmon, who had been a member of the university's first entering class and received the BVSc degree in 1872. Dr. Salmon became the founding chief of the US Bureau of Animal Industry and is best known today for identifying the infectious pathogen Salmonella and pioneering the fight against contagious diseases.

Date: January 26, 2003 12:42AM

Fill me in on O'Byrne?

Date: January 26, 2003 02:47AM

O'Byrne is one of this year's most sought-after recruits, and he has allegedly narrowed it down to Maine or Cornell.

Further Questions
Date: January 26, 2003 01:12PM

What position? What team does he play for?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: January 26, 2003 01:36PM

He's mentioned both

here: [elf.hockey.cornell.edu]

and here: [elf.hockey.cornell.edu]

and I'm sure there's more information at [www.nanaimoclippers.com] (man, what ugly uni's/colors).

Posted by: RichS (---)
Date: January 27, 2003 09:02AM

Right...I heard from a BU parent, who's other son I coach in HS, that fans chanted "kill the midget" at him....rolleyes

Date: January 27, 2003 09:06AM

Sounds like he might be able to "do the ice" when he's not playing. :-D

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---)
Date: January 27, 2003 09:49AM

[q]Right...I heard from a BU parent, who's other son I coach in HS, that fans chanted "kill the midget" at him....[/q]

Absolutely accurate :-P

Posted by: RedFan (64.80.233.---)
Date: January 27, 2003 12:11PM

And since this thread is about recruiting - pissing off parents is nothing to be proud of....

Date: January 27, 2003 12:33PM

Thats true but in this case, the parents' son is already playing for BU, so pissing them off is kinda moot.

Re: Lenny
Posted by: Keith K (---)
Date: January 27, 2003 12:54PM

Well, Adam asked him about next year in an on air interview last week I think. He gave your typical cliched athlete's answer - that he's only concerned with this year right now and that he'd have to consult with his family, the coaches, the people he trusts, etc. before making a decision. It means he's keeping his options open. I would've liked to hear "I'm going to stay four years at Cornell", but then again it's not like that would be a guarantee either.

This should not be construed as a rumor saying that he is leaving. Simply reporting the situation, which is pretty obvious anyway.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: January 27, 2003 06:32PM

Not to mention the guy's got to be pretty thin-skinned if he lets stuff like that bother him. At least it's more creative than singsonging some guy's name three times and yelling "YOU SUCK!"

Posted by: David Harding (---)
Date: January 27, 2003 11:33PM

So, prompted by the posts, we went to see Evan and the Freeze play Saturday night against the Springfield [MO] Spirits. I haven't watched much hockey for years, so I'm not a really good judge of talent, but Evan looked pretty respectable to me.

He didn't come off as the enforcer. He did take some good slap shots and wrist shots. He had an assist on a very pretty play. From just beyond his own blue line he passed straight forward to the left wing near the other blue line. The let wing took it in and passed across ice to the right wing (or maybe center) streaking in who put it away. Evan's rotation was messed up a bit, as his partner drew a 10 minute misconduct in the second period. He was moving back and forth from left to right defense through that stretch when he was on the ice.

The Freeze goalie, on his way to Yale, looked good, stopping 20+ shots and letting one through, a nasty slap shot that got past his right (stick hand) shoulder.

The arena has a banner for each Freeze alumnus who has moved on to better things. You can see most of the list on their web site. As I scanned the sheets, a "Cornell" jumped out at me. Turns out our assistant coach, Brent Brekke was with the Freeze '97-'99 as assistant coach and director of player personnel (recruiter).
[cornellbigred.ocsn.com]

Date: January 28, 2003 01:39AM

BTW, Cornell recruit Byron Bitz was a +7 in two games this past weekend. :-P :-) :-D

Date: January 28, 2003 01:42AM

Oh, and Ryan O'Byrne went to Nepean High School in 1998 -- IIRC, that was star Cornell defenseman Dan Ratushny's hometown and high school.

Posted by: CUlater '89 (---)
Date: January 28, 2003 10:05AM

And Cornell recruit Mark McCutcheon had 4 goals and 5 assists during his three games this weekend. Two weeks removed from being the league's offensive player of the week, he is currently 5th in the EJHL in goal scoring with 16 in 22 games.

Posted by: HpyGlmore2-05 (---)
Date: January 29, 2003 01:06AM

When/how would we know when this O'Byrne guy decides between us and Main!?!?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: January 29, 2003 07:59AM

Dude, would you like to buy a vowel? nut

Posted by: David Harding (---)
Date: February 01, 2003 06:07PM

Another connection - Evan played last year for the Green Bay Gamblers, Bâby's old junior a team.

Date: February 01, 2003 06:19PM

I'm sure whoever sees O'Bryne's decision first will post it right here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login