Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

lles is not the answer

Posted by Cop at Lynah 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
lles is not the answer
Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2011 09:08PM

After watching tonight's exhibition game, it is obvious that lles is not the answer in goal. It is frustrating as hell to watch him belly flop all over the crease leaving the entire top side wide open on rebounds. I was hoping to see improvement from his freshman year. I know it's only one exhibition game but from what I saw tonight the same erratic play that Andy displayed all of last year is still the norm for him.

Re: lles is not the answer
Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2011 10:09PM

Agreed.

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 21, 2011 10:29PM

I did not see tonight's game, but this weakness was very apparent last year. Is it because he's short for a goalie? You never see it in the NHL.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2011 10:30PM by BearLover.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2011 10:46PM

Of course, neither of the goals tonight had anything to do with your observed weakness. Which may make his performance tonight even more worrisome. It does, however, appear he's regressed somewhat. I still think his skill set is off the charts and throughout this season we'll see him turn into one of the best goalies in the ECAC. (Enter, Kris Mayotte)

Date: October 21, 2011 11:34PM

Iles keeps pulling what me and my friends call "the Scrivens" - basically crazy moves that unnecessarily increase the risk of letting the puck get by. He often shows a lack of fundamentals in his stance/maneuvers and his size does not play to his advantage, so it doesn't matter how "skilled" you think he is. If he can't defend some basic warp arounds because he's feeling adventurous and goes out of the crease, who cares if he makes few crazy saves per game?

Iles was never better than Garman and Schafer shouldn't have started him alongside Garman, which partially drove Garman to sign pro early. Just because he's from Ithaca and his daddy is a big shot in town doesn't entitle him to be the starting goalie. He had one good weekend last year (away series for Dartmouth/Harvard) and the rest of the time he was merely "getting by". Although their stats were comparable, it was clear that Garman was more dependable and the losses Garman's losses were more caused by our offensive insufficiencies. Additionally, Vincenzo Mariozzi looked much better than Iles during the Red-White game although he only played for a short bit. Schafer should take off his rose-tinted lenses and seriously consider pulling him as our starter.

Date: October 22, 2011 12:38AM

It doesn't matter what I think. It matters what the staff thinks, and what Iles thinks.

He didn't get beat on any wrap arounds tonight.

Posted by: cbuckser (50.13.133.---)
Date: October 22, 2011 05:55AM

Since Parris Duffus twenty years ago, when has a Cornell goalie established himself as The Answer by October of his sophomore year? I come up with one: David LeNeveu. Besides LeNeveu, David McKee comes the closest; he became an elite goaltender in the first semester of his sophomore season. Jason Elliott did so in the second semester of his sophomore year. Matt Underhill and Ben Scrivens had their breakout seasons when they were juniors.

Remember, Andy Iles is only 19 years old. It is far too soon to give up on him.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2011 08:47AM

I'm sure Schafer plays the guys who he believes give us the best chance to win. To suggest he makes decisions based on other criteria is ridiculous.
And its not just Schafer who has great confidence in Andy. The coaches of the US World Juniors team speak very highly of him.
In Schafer [and Iles] I trust!

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2011 09:06AM

Iles led the team last season to 60% of its wins during the second semester when it was turning its season around from its abysmal performance during the first half of the season. He sits after only his freshman year at seventh in SV% and ninth in GAA all-time in Cornell hockey history. That in itself is impressive for a freshman.

I doubt sincerely that Iles's father having influence in Ithaca affects Schafer's choice. Schafer cares about his legacy as a coach and that will be measured in wins, not appeasement of locals. Schafer has a gift for identifying talent and developing the skills of prospects for goaltender (think McKee, LeNeveu, Scrivens, etc.). The statistics do not contradict his choice and faith in Iles. I trust his judgment.

Iles has been phenomenal in international play. He backstopped the only team that has beaten Cornell in an exhibition during the last eleven years. He made 39 saves in that game. His style might be unconventional or erratic, but if he delivers results, why should that matter?

Alarmingly, he did make some amateur choices last night. I think that it was during the third period last night that he came dangerously far out of the net. It was a rookie mistake. His performance needs to be better. He delivered a SV% of 0.909 last night which is not atrocious, but we can expect and will get more from him. What we saw last night was a young sophomore who was somewhat unsure of himself because the last time he was on competitive collegiate ice he surrendered five goals to the then-No. 1 team in the nation. He will regain his confidence and deliver as Schafer knows that he can.

Let's hope that he gets better by November 4.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2011 09:51AM

Date: October 22, 2011 10:43AM

CAS
I'm sure Schafer plays the guys who he believes give us the best chance to win. To suggest he makes decisions based on other criteria is ridiculous.
And its not just Schafer who has great confidence in Andy. The coaches of the US World Juniors team speak very highly of him.
They must be blind. I am not the only one who holds the opinion that Iles looked worse than Garman last year. We can compare stats and talk all day about what they mean and say we trust Schafer and that stuff, but it doesn't mean anything if we lose a few key games.

cubuckser
Since Parris Duffus twenty years ago, when has a Cornell goalie established himself as The Answer by October of his sophomore year? I come up with one: David LeNeveu. Besides LeNeveu, David McKee comes the closest; he became an elite goaltender in the first semester of his sophomore season. Jason Elliott did so in the second semester of his sophomore year. Matt Underhill and Ben Scrivens had their breakout seasons when they were juniors.

That's fair. However, I still blame coaching for driving Garman away, who was a tremendous goalie and could've had a better career than Scirvens if he had more ice time.

Date: October 22, 2011 11:40AM

I'm not saying Andy can't/won't be damn good....I was just disapponited in seeing him display the same awkwardness last night that drove me crazy last year. What I'm referring to is Andys' ability to control rebounds and prevent the second/third shots from beating him when he is on his belly and out of the play. Andy's reputation tells me that if he remains technically sound he will be one of the best...just don't see that enough in my view.

Date: October 22, 2011 12:19PM

ajh258
CAS
They must be blind. I am not the only one who holds the opinion that Iles looked worse than Garman last year. We can compare stats and talk all day about what they mean and say we trust Schafer and that stuff, but it doesn't mean anything if we lose a few key games.

They're all blind... Those that watched him as a high school freshman carry an average team to the state title...blind. Those that watched him two years later backstop his prep team to the championship...blind. Those that named him the best prep goalie that year...blind. Those that invited him to the NTDP in Ann Arbor...blind. Those that selected him to the Junior National Team...blind. Those that saw him put up the best stats at this summer's Junior National camp...blind. Those that saw him stop 39 shots against Cornell while out-playing Ben Scrivens two years ago...blind.

Iles has always been playing up for his age. Let the kid develop. I have nothing against Garman but when he was Iles' age he was still playing juniors. The two started the same number of games last season and Garman's starts resulted in one more loss than those started by Iles. Iles has excelled at every level he's been at and he will (most likely) at Cornell. I'm frustrated because I think he's so much better than we've seen thus far...but I know I'm as blind as they come in matters such as these.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2011 12:20PM

Trotsky:rockrockcheer

Posted by: BearLover (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 22, 2011 01:39PM

Because God forbid this site actually sees some relevant discussion about actual games rather than treatises on whether there should be a white stripe on the bottom of the away jerseys this year.

Just because he's from Ithaca and his daddy is a big shot in town
Chris Moulson's brother didn't seem to mean anything to Schafer.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2011 02:13PM

I'll admit that he could be a lot better with his stick handling but we don't need him to be Hextall. Hopefully Schafer will talk to him and he'll make better decisions going forward. That said he does have legitimate weaknesses as a goalie, and absolutely could be a flop. Still I'm not willing to judge him solely based on his performance last night or in a goalie platoon last year where he couldn't string together a few starts in a row. I don't think its a coincidence that his best weekend last year was the one he got to start both games. That said let's not blame him for the ECAC final last year. We were just outclassed on every level that game. Most importantly though, if Schafer comes to the decision that Iles isn't the answer we'll know because he'll recruit another goalie.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2011 03:28PM

I think goalie may be our most questionable position, but I'm not ready to put Iles away quite yet. Just look at Scrivens vs. McKee. McKee was head and shoulders above Scrivens in their early years, but Scrivens turned out to be a better goalie. He was willing, or able, to learn and improve; but I think McKee always seemed to be willing to ride his natural talent, and didn't improve much.

Date: October 22, 2011 03:29PM

We have seven* freshman forwards. Our three most questionable positions are probably: C, LW and RW.

* Granted, at least four of them (Hudon, Dias, Ferlin, Lowry) are supposed to be super.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 03:31PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.sub-174-254-181.myvzw.com)
Date: October 22, 2011 03:49PM

By questionable I meant most worrisome. I agree coach needs to pick out the forwards to dress, but that's between top prospects. The goalie position may be our weakest.

Date: October 22, 2011 04:44PM

Jim Hyla
By questionable I meant most worrisome. I agree coach needs to pick out the forwards to dress, but that's between top prospects. The goalie position may be our weakest.
Agreed. The freshmen looked very good for their experience level. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them make the top 5 scorers for the year (if not more).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 04:44PM by ajh258.

Date: October 22, 2011 06:45PM

Jim Hyla
I agree, but I'm really trying not to count chickens. There's also always that transition to D-1, and having so many of them go through it simultaneously is scary.

Cole is skating tonight, so we'll have seen everybody but Hudon.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 22, 2011 10:18PM

cbuckser

As another reference point, Matt Underhill appeared to take a step back in his development during his sophomore year, when he posted an .894 save percentage and didn't look good doing it. If you accept save percentage as a measure of a goaltender's performance (which I don't, really, but it's what I've got) Underhill was about the 10th best goalie in the ECAC and the second best on his own team (by a fair amount, at that - Ian Burt posted a .913). The following year he emerged as the clear #1 at Cornell and went on to become an All-American and the first in a string of goaltenders who helped return Cornell to national prominence, and he was technically far superior to the goaltender who flailed around to that .894 as a sophomore.

So, is Isles going to be a good, but not great, collegiate goaltender, or will he be the next Matt Underhill? I sure as hell don't know, but neither does anybody else.

As for Garman, remember, he *graduated* - he didn't just quit school to go pro. Maybe he would have stuck around if he were the undisputed starter, but that's not a given. He's 24, so I'm guessing the clock was ticking a little louder than it would have been for a 21 year old.

Date: October 22, 2011 10:40PM

Iles improved as the game went on tonight against Carleton, although he didn't face that many shots on goal (I think Carleton had 2 for the 1st period? The box scores are not out yet).

Date: October 22, 2011 10:44PM

Tom Lento
So, is Isles going to be a good, but not great, collegiate goaltender, or will he be the next Matt Underhill? I sure as hell don't know, but neither does anybody else.

None of us will until he plays regularly. Iles hasn't been the man in 2 years. The NTDP always rotates goalies and then there was last season. Iles is 19 and has played 2650 minutes over 47 games in the past 2 seasons -- not counting World Junior tournament/camps. By comparison, Cornell's new freshman goalie is 21 and has played 5601 minutes over 94 games in that same period. Iles needs to play. The staff will determine whether he deserves to or not.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 09:15AM

Tom Lento
As for Garman, remember, he *graduated* - he didn't just quit school to go pro. Maybe he would have stuck around if he were the undisputed starter, but that's not a given.

Once Garman graduated, he could not have returned to the team, even if he had come back to Cornell for an advanced degree. For whatever reason, Ivy League rules prohibit graduate students from varsity sports, according to Brandon Thomas in the Ithaca Journal. See the earlier forum thread on Garman leaving: [elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: marty (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 09:37AM

But he had to ask for permission to graduate after three years. He could have elected to complete his degree with a senior year.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2011 10:31AM

marty
But he had to ask for permission to graduate after three years. He could have elected to complete his degree with a senior year.

Put yourself in Garman's shoes. He has the talent to make money playing professional hockey at some level. If he stays it is likely to be under the same platoon system. Regardless of the merits of this system how was that going to help him advance his professional career. The short answer is that it was not. So, he apparently met the requirements to graduate and made a perfectly rational decision to get started with the rest of his life. Good for him, I wish him nothing but the best.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-254-195.myvzw.com)
Date: October 23, 2011 11:01AM

Towerroad
marty

Put yourself in Garman's shoes. He has the talent to make money playing professional hockey at some level. If he stays it is likely to be under the same platoon system. Regardless of the merits of this system how was that going to help him advance his professional career. The short answer is that it was not. So, he apparently met the requirements to graduate and made a perfectly rational decision to get started with the rest of his life. Good for him, I wish him nothing but the best.
Me too.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2011 09:12AM

[cornellsun.com]

Mike Schafer
Head coach Mike Schafer ’86 was pleased to get all three goalies playing experience this weekend, but noted, “Andy is our No. 1. We know that as a coaching staff.”

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2011 12:20PM

pfibiger
[cornellsun.com]
Mike Schafer
Head coach Mike Schafer ’86 was pleased to get all three goalies playing experience this weekend, but noted, “Andy is our No. 1. We know that as a coaching staff.”
Maybe someone should forward the thread to the coaching staff so they have the benefit of our collective insights. They may have been blinded by seeing Iles too often. As Malcolm Gladwell notes in Blink, sometimes first impressions are better and more accurate. As a Harvard alum, perhaps Gladwell formed the kernel of that insight when he wandered into Bright Center, saw the Crimson play, and immediately came away with a two-word judgment that is eternally correct.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2011 12:35PM

billhoward
pfibiger
[cornellsun.com]
Mike Schafer
Maybe someone should forward the thread to the coaching staff so they have the benefit of our collective insights. They may have been blinded by seeing Iles too often. As Malcolm Gladwell notes in Blink, sometimes first impressions are better and more accurate. As a Harvard alum, perhaps Gladwell formed the kernel of that insight when he wandered into Bright Center, saw the Crimson play, and immediately came away with a two-word judgment that is eternally correct.
Technically, this is a correct statement if Marozzi hasn't proved himself to be as good of a goalie as Iles during practice. However, this quote, which might be taken out of context, is also implying that Iles is a good enough goalie, which is not completely accurate.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 12:36PM by ajh258.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: October 24, 2011 01:18PM

ajh258
billhoward
pfibiger
[cornellsun.com]
Mike Schafer
Technically, this is a correct statement if Marozzi hasn't proved himself to be as good of a goalie as Iles during practice. However, this quote, which might be taken out of context, is also implying that Iles is a good enough goalie, which is not completely accurate.
No it doesn't. It says he's their No. 1, says nothing about being good enough. It implies that he's better than the rest. I think he has the possibility to improve as Scrivens did. If so, this team could have a very good next few years. I'm very hopefull. But that's just me.

Date: October 24, 2011 02:22PM

billhoward
pfibiger
[cornellsun.com]
Mike Schafer
First impressions are also incredibly hard to change, so maybe they just have a different first impression than you do and are still working off that impression. Hopefully though he's this negativity is proven unwarranted and Iles takes command of the top spot. I'm just a little concerned about his size and decision making/abilities when it comes to handling the puck. While this wouldn't be necessary, it would be awesome.

I guess we could settle for DiPietro or Turco though...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 02:24PM by css228.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 29, 2011 09:27PM

popcorn

Posted by: steveb (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2011 11:05AM

OK, I'll start. It was frustrating to watch Andy at times last night. He makes some saves no one should be able to make (the post-to-post pad save in the first, right before Mercyhurst tied it at 1, was a thing of beauty), allows goals many goalies would stop (but aren't necessarily terrible goals), and (worst of all) seems to spend a lot of his time catching pucks at head height and above when in the butterfly, or doing a good imitation of someone looking for contact lenses on their belly. All that being said, our D blew a lot of assignments last night; surprising because that's the group with plenty of experience.

Cornell's best goalies, it seems to me, have always been very "quiet" goalies; Andy so far is anything but that. His quickness is a great asset but his need to be quick/frantic is often a result of being out of position. I just hope the last game of last season and the first game of this one don't start messing with his head. GO RED!!!

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2011 12:04PM

My take on Iles is that because of his flopping style he looks worse than he is a lot of the time. It's tough to accurately judge a goaltender when he plays like that. Now whether he needs to play like that is the question. Is it because of his lack of size and he compensates with his quickness thus he had developed that style? Maybe he would benefit by trying to play a more traditional butterfly style.

With all of that being said, I put him in the adequate goaltender category. I don't think he will steal Cornell any games by being outstanding but on the other hand I don't think he is going to loose many games by being horrible.

Date: October 30, 2011 01:11PM

MattS
My take on Iles is that because of his flopping style he looks worse than he is a lot of the time. It's tough to accurately judge a goaltender when he plays like that. Now whether he needs to play like that is the question. Is it because of his lack of size and he compensates with his quickness thus he had developed that style? Maybe he would benefit by trying to play a more traditional butterfly style.

With all of that being said, I put him in the adequate goaltender category. I don't think he will steal Cornell any games by being outstanding but on the other hand I don't think he is going to loose many games by being horrible.

I think you're right that he almost has to play this style because of his size. And he did steal us away at Harvard last year. I'm not sure he'd benefit from a pure butterfly though because his size means a lot of the top portion of the net would be there for the taking. Perhaps hybrid?

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2011 05:55PM

What Ithaca native collegiate goalie has a last name that rhymes with "smiles"?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2011 05:20PM by Roy 82.

Posted by: cmoberg (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2011 06:01PM

I thought Iles looked ok most of the time, but he showed very poor anticipation/reaction to the 5th goal (the one the went off a skate). He seemed frozen to his left when the pass went to the right.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: November 01, 2011 09:58AM

Hopefully Kris Mayotte will be able to help him along. It's been a while since Cornell had a goalie coach. I suspect he'll be fine on most nights.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2011 10:07PM

http://elf.elynah.com/read.php?1,171014,171034#msg-171034.

Remember folks, Scrivens spent most of the 2006-2007 season flopping around the ice, wandering way too far from the net and sending many people on ELF (and I'm sure in the stands) into minor fits. I'm inclined to give Iles the benefit of the doubt and see how he progresses through the season. This is one of the few things I'm actually optimistic about (which goes against my nature and inner Eeyore).

Posted by: Dafatone (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 03:30AM

Rita
http://elf.elynah.com/read.php?1,171014,171034#msg-171034.

Remember folks, Scrivens spent most of the 2006-2007 season flopping around the ice, wandering way too far from the net and sending many people on ELF (and I'm sure in the stands) into minor fits. I'm inclined to give Iles the benefit of the doubt and see how he progresses through the season. This is one of the few things I'm actually optimistic about (which goes against my nature and inner Eeyore).

Scrivens just made 38 of 39 saves in the NHL, and back in 06-07, I wanted Troy Davenport to play over him. This is why I'm not coaching. Well, one reason.

Date: November 04, 2011 07:32AM

Let's spend more time analyzing why Scrivens let that 39th opportunity get behind him. It could be a cause for alarm.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 09:14AM

billhoward
Let's spend more time analyzing why Scrivens let that 39th opportunity get behind him. It could be a cause for alarm.
The game has left him behind.

Posted by: dag14 (---.calsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 04, 2011 10:58AM

Catching up on the over-night posts over my second cup of morning coffee. When I got to this Scrivens thread I laughed so hard I spit coffee all over my computer. Thank you. This is what makes eLynah a treasure, in spite of the John Harvards-type rants.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2011 09:41PM

Trotsky
billhoward
The game has left him behind.
It's the system.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 09:10PM

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2011 09:20PM

ugarte
Ahem.

That was quick.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 19, 2011 10:00PM

He may not be the answer, but it's damned likely he'll be "goalie of the week" this coming week.

Date: November 19, 2011 11:23PM

Scrivens was the answer, so if Iles gets the ECAC Championship and then into the Forzen Fours, then he will become the answer.

Posted by: css228 (174.254.160.---)
Date: November 19, 2011 11:50PM

True statement

Forget the Answer...
Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2011 09:24AM

What was the question?

Date: November 20, 2011 12:09PM

ajh258
Scrivens was the answer, so if Iles gets the ECAC Championship and then into the Forzen Fours, then he will become the answer.

I appreciate everything Scrivens did while at Cornell, but I must have missed those Frozen Fours.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2011 01:33PM

ithacat
ajh258

I appreciate everything Scrivens did while at Cornell, but I must have missed those Frozen Fours.
Cornell's Frozen Four goalies: Dryden (thrice); Cropper; Elenbaas (twice); Eliot; LeNeveu

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 20, 2011 03:11PM

Date: November 20, 2011 04:45PM

imafrshmn

Who is Kevin Cole...

Re: Forget the Answer...
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2011 06:42PM

I dunno. I fogrot.

Posted by: BMac (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 20, 2011 10:36PM

God I love the forzen four. Definitely better than all the other fours, such as final or frozen.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 20, 2011 11:12PM

BMac
God I love the forzen four. Definitely better than all the other fours, such as final or frozen.

Brom performed admirably at the last one.

Date: November 20, 2011 11:13PM

I was for zen for a long time, but meditation is such a pain in the ass.

Date: November 21, 2011 05:38AM

ithacat
ajh258

Scrivens didn't have the firing power that Iles has now, so the bar must be set higher.

Date: November 21, 2011 11:51AM

ajh258
ithacat
ajh258

Scrivens didn't have the firing power that Iles has now, so the bar must be set higher.

I hope you're correct. Ben's senior season did have a team that had 3 100-pointers (Greening, R. Nash, and Gallagher), plus a couple of other guys who made it to the AHL pretty quickly (ie, their first year out of Cornell (B. Nash and J. Devin). Personally, I think that team probably should have made it to the FF once, if not twice. They were eliminated by a UNH team that they had dominated during the season (RIT came out of the Albany region). The year earlier they fell to a hot Bemidji State in the Regional Final. Things really were set up for them those last 2 seasons -- they were talented, experienced, and the draws allowed them to avoid WCHA powers.

This team may have a lot of talent, but they're relatively young and inexperienced. Need to be patient. I'd be very happy with an NCAA berth this season.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: November 21, 2011 12:00PM

Jordan 04
BMac

Brom performed admirably at the last one.

Ylae has never had the answer for them.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2011 02:06PM

ugarte
Ahem.
OK, but let's be realistic: we all know bad goalies have good games sometimes (usually against [insert team the speaker roots for here]). If you thought Iles wasn't the answer before this weekend, good performances in mid-November home games against middling opposition aren't likely to change your mind.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: November 21, 2011 02:30PM

Josh '99
ugarte
Ahem.
OK, but let's be realistic: we all know bad goalies have good games sometimes (usually against [insert team the speaker roots for here]). If you thought Iles wasn't the answer before this weekend, good performances in mid-November home games against middling opposition aren't likely to change your mind.

Good goalies also have bad games sometimes. They can also improve between ages 19-22.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: November 21, 2011 04:16PM

Josh '99
ugarte
Ahem.
Let's see how many other goalies blank this middling travel pair this season. I'll bet the answer is zero. I'm not making the argument that he needs a new suit for the Hobey ceremony but "[Player] sucks" threads started a week into the season deserve to be mocked.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: November 21, 2011 04:41PM

ugarte
Josh '99
ugarte
Ahem.
Let's see how many other goalies blank this middling travel pair this season. I'll bet the answer is zero. I'm not making the argument that he needs a new suit for the Hobey ceremony but "[Player] sucks" threads started a week day into the preseason deserve to be mocked.

FYP.

Date: November 21, 2011 05:21PM

Jordan 04
Josh '99
ugarte
Ahem.

Good goalies also have bad games sometimes. They can also improve between ages 19-22.
Sure. To clarify, I'm not defending the original premise of the thread, I'm just saying that if you did agree with that premise, these two games probably won't have changed your mind.

Date: November 21, 2011 05:22PM

BMac
It's the for-est of all the fours.

Date: November 21, 2011 06:26PM

As the starter of this thread I have to say I was very impressed with Andy on Saturday night. He was the difference in the first period. I'm also unbiased enough to recognoze his improvement. Only once in Saturday's game did I scratch my head at him going down to his stomach while the puck was still in play. Other than that one brief moment he postioned himself well and kept himself in the play. Andy has shown marked improvement over the first segment of the schedule. His contunued development is key to the success of this years team.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2011 06:30PM by Cop at Lynah.

Posted by: MotherPucker (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: November 21, 2011 08:01PM

Since people seem to think that Scrivens has achieved some form of Deity status for his efforts at Cornell and now having elevated his game to the Show, Let's take a look back at his and Iles' comparable stats for the same time frames in their tenure on the hill to this point. Remember that Iles was a true 18 yr old Freshman and Scrivens was 20 his first game for the Red. In terms of physical maturity that's a Big difference.

Glad to see the coaching staff has far more knowledge and foresight into how to run their team then the Monday morning Bench Bosses around these parts. There is no ANSWER. other than 42. All you can do is hope for successful seasons and support the Team and coaching staff in every way possible. Enjoy the ride while it lasts and don't get down on them when they run into a bad spell.

year gs min. GA GAA Sh S% W L T SO
1011 fr Iles 18 1010:49 42 2.49 444 .914 8 7 2 0
1112 so Iles 7 417:40 16 2.30 154 .906 5 2 0 2

Oct 29 Mercyhurst L 4-5 0-1-0 Iles
Nov 04 at Yale W 6-2 1-1-0 Iles
Nov 05 at Brown L 4-5 1-2-0 Iles
Nov 11 at Harvard W 4-2 2-2-0 Iles
Nov 12 at Dartmouth W 3-2 3-2-0 Iles
Nov 18 Princeton W 4-0 4-2-0 Iles
Nov 19 Quinnipiac W 4-0 5-2-0 Iles
Nov 22 Niagara
Nov 26 Boston University

year gs min. ga gaa sh S% W L T SO
0607 fr Scrivens 12 573:55 22 2.30 224 .911 3 6 2 0
0708 so Scrivens 35 1962:43 66 2.02 883 .930 19 12 2 4

Oct 27 RIT L 1-4 0-1-0 Scrivens
Nov 02 PRINCETON L 2-3 0-2-0 Davenport
Nov 03 QUINNIPIAC W 5-3 1-2-0 Scrivens
Nov 09 at Yale W 2-1 2-2-0 Scrivens
Nov 10 at BRWN W 4-1 3-2-0 Scrivens
Nov 16 at #19 Harvard L 1-2 3-3-0 Scrivens
Nov 17 at Dartmouth W 4-1 4-3-0 Scrivens
Nov 24 vs Boston U L 3-6 4-4-0 Scrivens

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2011 09:05PM

What is the square root of 1764, Alex?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2011 09:48PM

MotherPucker
There is no ANSWER. other than 42.

This forum figured that out organically.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2011 11:20PM

What do you get when you multiply six by nine?

Date: November 21, 2011 11:53PM

ftyuv
That would be the question if we're in base 13.

Posted by: MotherPucker (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: November 22, 2011 02:48AM

Just ask Siri or Douglas Adams what the Answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is... Although it's hard to ask the latter since he is taking a dirt nap. But all you Iphone addicts can get a chuckle asking Siri.

Date: November 22, 2011 09:42AM

ftyuv

Date: November 22, 2011 10:35AM

Trotsky
ftyuv

Woah, I have to admit I wasn't expecting the answer to be "a tattoo."

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2011 09:07PM

Kid worked hard to earn tonight's shut out.

Date: November 22, 2011 09:08PM

Posted by: BMac (---.mycingular.net)
Date: November 22, 2011 09:14PM

The Answer with three straight shutouts!

Date: November 22, 2011 09:41PM

Apparently Iles current shutout streak of 202:28 is 3rd all time at Cornell. This thread makes us look like idiots. Glad he's disproving us with his play.

Posted by: Robb (---.62-188.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: November 22, 2011 09:49PM

Andy Iles = AI = The Answer = AI = Allen Iverson

Coincidence?

Wonder how many tattoos Andy has...

Date: November 22, 2011 09:52PM

Robb
Andy Iles = AI = The Answer = AI = Allen Iverson

Coincidence?

Wonder how many tattoos Andy has...
If Iles starts holding his hand to his ear and screaming to the Lynah crowd then I'll totally buy into that comparison.

Date: November 22, 2011 10:53PM

Practice? I have three straight shutouts and we talkin' about practice?

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2011 11:36PM

Here's what else three straight shutouts will do for you.

Andy's numbers after the Dartmouth game: 3.23 GAA, 0.870 SV%.

Andy's numbers after Niagara: 2.01 GAA, 0.918 SV%.

Date: November 23, 2011 09:42AM

Invitation to someone with Photoshop skills:

Date: November 23, 2011 02:10PM

Give My Regards

It's the system.

Posted by: css228 (---.sub-174-252-49.myvzw.com)
Date: November 23, 2011 03:10PM

Tom Lento
Give My Regards

It's the system.
So let me get this straight? When Iles had a .750 save percentage and was struggling, he's nothe answer and the systems not to blame but when he has 200+ shutout minutes in a row the system is responsible for that and Andy is benefitting from the system? Just want to make sure I'm following that logic correctly (I do understand there may be an element of sarcasm in your response, but this is for the people who actually do believe its the system). The only real options here to explain what's going on is that either Andy was always a capable goaltender being made to look bad by sloppy defensive play, which has now improved and allowed him to flourish (I.e. the system explanation), or that Iles' play has significantly improved over the past few weekends and he's playing like one of the top goalies in the country at the moment. I believe its a bit of both but since I've never seen a system that stops multiple 1v1 breakaways you have to give Andy credit.

Posted by: dag14 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2011 03:15PM

css228
Tom Lento
Give My Regards

It's the system.
So let me get this straight? When Iles had a .750 save percentage and was struggling, he's nothe answer and the systems not to blame but when he has 200+ shutout minutes in a row the system is responsible for that and Andy is benefitting from the system? Just want to make sure I'm following that logic correctly (I do understand there may be an element of sarcasm in your response, but this is for the people who actually do believe its the system). The only real options here to explain what's going on is that either Andy was always a capable goaltender being made to look bad by sloppy defensive play, which has now improved and allowed him to flourish (I.e. the system explanation), or that Iles' play has significantly improved over the past few weekends and he's playing like one of the top goalies in the country at the moment. I believe its a bit of both but since I've never seen a system that stops multiple 1v1 breakaways you have to give Andy credit.

You think there is an element of sarcasm in the response? How about 100% sarcasm and nothing but.

Posted by: css228 (---.sub-174-252-49.myvzw.com)
Date: November 23, 2011 03:48PM

dag14
css228
Tom Lento
Give My Regards

It's the system.

You think there is an element of sarcasm in the response? How about 100% sarcasm and nothing but.
Fair enough its just given the amount of people I have met that actually believe it is the system, Id rather we not even start down that road, sarcastically or not.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 23, 2011 04:45PM

css228
Fair enough its just given the amount of people I have met that actually believe it is the system, Id rather we not even start down that road, sarcastically or not.[/quote]
The "it's the system" line has been an ongoing joke here for years and years. It's a safe bet that anytime you see "it's the system" on this forum without any further explanation it's sarcastic.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 23, 2011 05:20PM

KeithK
The "it's the system" line has been an ongoing joke here for years and years. It's a safe bet that anytime you see "it's the system" on this forum without any further explanation it's sarcastic.
Typical. rolleyes

Date: November 23, 2011 05:28PM

Kyle Rose
KeithK
Typical. rolleyes
Jerk.

Date: November 23, 2011 05:58PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
KeithK
Typical. rolleyes
Jerk.
I wish we had a "like" button for posts like this.

Date: November 23, 2011 06:24PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
KeithK
Typical. rolleyes
Jerk.

For the record:

1) I was being sarcastic
2) Kyle really is a jerk :-P
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 06:25PM by Tom Lento.

Date: November 23, 2011 06:43PM

Tom Lento
For the record:

1) I was being sarcastic

The statement on this side of the card is true.
The statment on the other side is false.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 23, 2011 10:16PM

Tom Lento
Trotsky
Kyle Rose
KeithK
Typical. rolleyes
Jerk.

For the record:

1) I was being sarcastic
If I invoke the name RichS, does that mean he'll show up? If so... oops. :-)

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2011 11:56PM

A good interview with Andy is in here about halfway down the article. Linked for convenience, though decide for yourself whether you want to give page hits to a guy so ignorant that he called Cornell a "rising power" a few weeks ago.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2011 01:54PM

css228
...a guy so ignorant that he called Cornell a "rising power" a few weeks ago.

Give Joshua Boyd a break. We all cannot be as astute as we commentators on ELynah are. It's also Boyd's first year following the ECAC. He has many things to learn. Like Skorton and Schafer said at Red Hot Hockey 2009, we cannot hold those who attended other universities accountable for their lack of education in college hockey.

On the topic of this post, I am a fan of Iles. He shows great potential to be a great goaltender in the tradition of Cornell. I worry however that when his shutout streak ends that Iles will implode much like Scrivens did during the UNH game in the NCAA Tournament in 2010 (6-2). Such a bad way to end an otherwise amazing senior year of hockey.

Let's hope that nothing similar happens to Iles on Saturday.

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login