Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 1, Dartmouth 1

Posted by dbilmes 
Cornell 1, Dartmouth 1
Posted by: dbilmes (---.sub-174-236-38.myvzw.com)
Date: January 18, 2014 04:14PM

Driving from Boston to Hanover in snowstorm. Terrible conditions with lots of accidents along road. Let's hope the Big Red make the trip worthwhile!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 09:42PM by dbilmes.

Re: Cornell at Dartmouth game
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2014 04:38PM

dbilmes
Driving from Boston to Hanover in snowstorm. Terrible conditions with lots of accidents along road. Let's hope the Big Red make the trip worthwhile!

Driving and posting in a snow storm?drive

I hope everyone arrives safely.

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 07:12PM

Tonight's video is outstanding it's up on the big screen. Last nights feed from Harvard was so bad we could not see the puck. Go Big Red.

Posted by: BMac (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 09:24PM

Fuck dartmouth! A few seconds after OT ends, a player clobbers one of our guys who had let up. Totally still for a minute or two, thankfully gets up on his own.

Fuck. Dartmouth.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 09:27PM

Bob Gaudet. There is no substitute.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2014 09:40PM

Trotsky
Bob Gaudet. There is no substitute.

Throw your clipboard...

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 18, 2014 09:42PM

BMac
Fuck dartmouth! A few seconds after OT ends, a player clobbers one of our guys who had let up. Totally still for a minute or two, thankfully gets up on his own.

Fuck. Dartmouth.

From Twitter it sounds like Eric Neiley got a DQ.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2014 10:51PM by nyc94.

Date: January 18, 2014 09:46PM

Who was our player who got hurt?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 18, 2014 09:48PM

BMac
Who was our player who got hurt?

Bardreau.

Re: Cornell 1, Dartmouth 1
Posted by: cquinn (---.sub-70-192-15.myvzw.com)
Date: January 18, 2014 09:48PM

Bardreau

Date: January 18, 2014 09:52PM

FUCK Dartmouth.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2014 01:16AM

Anyone who saw the injury want to give their thoughts? Is this the second year in a row we lose Bardreau to a complete cheap shot?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2014 03:10AM

BearLover
Anyone who saw the injury want to give their thoughts? Is this the second year in a row we lose Bardreau to a complete cheap shot?

We will have to wait to see if Cole will miss any time, but yeah...a cheap shot. My memory isn't able to determine exactly how long after the final buzzer the hit took place, but it was probably at least several seconds, possibly more. I wasn't watching that part of the ice to see anything that happened before the hit (if there was shoving or gestures), but I happened to turn my head just in time to see Neiley's arms come up to deck Bardreau high and hard at the Cornell blue line. The hit was at the head. The nearest ref instantly reacted by shouting and putting a bear-hug on Neiley, probably partly in anger himself and partly because he knew the retaliation was about to come. And it did. Within a few seconds, a group of CU skaters had Neiley down on the ice in a scrum, with a few other Dartmouth players joining the fray. Cole was being tended to by the trainer only a few feet away, and he was face down on the ice for maybe 2-3 minutes. No real haymakers were thrown as players circled each other, and credit the officials for separating the teams quickly and containing that powder keg about as much as anybody could. One ref reacted physically and proactively with Ferlin as the benches were being emptied; it looked like Ferlin was about to go after someone. Both teams were obviously directed to the locker rooms without handshakes, and Dartmouth drifted to center ice for a second or two for a weak stick salute to the fans that was met with boos from our Cornell corner.

It's ironic now that late in the third, I had thought to myself how this was the cleanest game I had ever seen from a Gaudet team. The only issue was a bit of jawing & shoving near the benches at the end of the 2nd period that resulted in offsetting roughing penalties to start the 3rd (Freschi & McNally). And then this happened. I see from the box score that Neiley got a 5 + DQ, and the emotional homer in me wants to see extra games tacked on, considering it was a head shot to a player who had recovered from a broken neck.

Good job by the officials Dumas & St. Lawrence all weekend, but especially at the end of this game. I imagine whichever ref crew gets assigned the Dartmouth-Cornell game in Ithaca will have their hands full.

The game itself was poor on both sides. It was more like watching pinball than hockey. Neither team had any sustained 5x5 attack at all.

Gaudet remains a disgrace to this league.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2014 03:16AM by RichH.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2014 08:16AM

RichH
BearLover

We will have to wait to see if Cole will miss any time, but yeah...a cheap shot. My memory isn't able to determine exactly how long after the final buzzer the hit took place, but it was probably at least several seconds, possibly more. I wasn't watching that part of the ice to see anything that happened before the hit (if there was shoving or gestures), but I happened to turn my head just in time to see Neiley's arms come up to deck Bardreau high and hard at the Cornell blue line.

The game is still available on the Ivy League Digital Network. I say "still available" because I think I remember people here talking about it taking them a couple of days to have the games available as archived games. I didn't find it there, but rather exactly where I would have found it last night if I logged in and selected "Cornell" as my school of choice.

Watching the replay, the hit happened 4-5 seconds after the buzzer. And the only thing that happened immediately before that was that another Dartmouth player had a little inconsequential shoulder to shoulder contact with Bardreau a second earlier. If anything, the Dartmouth player was the one at fault there too, but it was really not much of anything.

I hope the powers that be take a look at this and assuming the rules allow for it do add on additional game suspensions. A rough hit during a game is one thing. This really was something else entirely.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2014 10:30AM by andyw2100.

Date: January 19, 2014 09:21AM

RichH
It's ironic now that late in the third, I had thought to myself how this was the cleanest game I had ever seen from a Gaudet team. The only issue was a bit of jawing & shoving near the benches at the end of the 2nd period that resulted in offsetting roughing penalties to start the 3rd (Freschi & McNally).
Neilly and Knisely were going at it all night, with little slashes, slaps, hooks, and various aggression en passant. I thought at one point (about 5 minutes before the end of the second) that they might drop all pretense and just have at it. And all this was just what I could see on the video; god knows what was going on out of frame.

I wish Gaudet would just go to a juniors team where his guys could fight and head hunt all they want. Everybody would be happier.

Posted by: sah67 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2014 02:04PM

Gaudet's response:

Gaudet said his wing was himself injured by an opponent’s hit during a shift shortly before the confrontation and allowed his simmering anger to get the best of him.

“I can’t condone what he did, obviously, but I watched it on video and he didn’t hit (Bardreau) in the head or anything,” Gaudet said. “It was one of those plays where he still had the energy of the game” after the whistle.

Date: January 19, 2014 04:15PM

Cheap Shot by Eric Neiley

Neiley earns a DQ.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2014 05:39PM

Just to make sure I understand: Neiley was "himself injured by an opponent’s hit during a shift shortly before" then recovered, and retaliated against a different player 5 seconds after the final buzzer? Is that right?wtf

His DQ should be for our game. I'd hate to lose one of our guys to a DQ the night before we play Harvard.

Date: January 19, 2014 09:28PM

sah67
Gaudet's response:

Gaudet said. “It was one of those plays where he still had the energy of the game” after the whistle.

Wouldn't it be great if after the Dartmouth game at Lynah if instead of shaking Gaudet's hand Schafer just leveled him, and then, looking down at him on the ice, said, "Sorry. I just still had the energy of the game."

Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2014 11:04PM

I would pay real dollars to see Schafer throw a haymaker at Gaudet.

But of course, I don't actually want that. Then we'd be in the news for the things I'm glad we're never in the news for.

Date: January 19, 2014 11:07PM

BMac
I would pay real dollars to see Schafer throw a haymaker at Gaudet.

But of course, I don't actually want that. Then we'd be in the news for the things I'm glad we're never in the news for.
A win will be revenge enough, particularly since that will be the final weekend push for a bye.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2014 11:16PM

Any guesses regarding Bardreau's health? I guess it's impossible to say, but that's what I was really asking about.

Posted by: kaelistus (69.38.150.---)
Date: January 20, 2014 10:05AM

This is one of those few times where I truly think a DQ is not enough. If you compare this type of thing with the NHL's penalties as of late (Thornton for example), a multiple game penalty should be awarded.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2014 11:00AM

I know generalizing is bad, but: man, Dartmouth are a bunch of bleeping poopyheads.

(Self-sanitized for family-friendliness.)

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: January 20, 2014 12:26PM

kaelistus
This is one of those few times where I truly think a DQ is not enough. If you compare this type of thing with the NHL's penalties as of late (Thornton for example), a multiple game penalty should be awarded.

I agree. I think part of the problem is that this doesn't happen all that often in college hockey, so there isn't as much of a precedent for how to deal with such a hit. Thornton's ambush was worse, but not necessarily by all that much, and that game was much more out of hand in both directions (that Neal knee to Marchand's head was awful, and I'm a Pens fan).

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2014 01:20PM

kaelistus

With some deep thinking, perhaps the refs could have come up with two or three infractions.
NCAA rule book
A player may be assessed more than one disqualification penalty in a game.

The progressive game-disqualification structure shall be:
1. First disqualification penalty—that game plus one.
2. Second disqualification penalty—that game plus two.
3. Third disqualification penalty—that game plus three.
4 Fourth disqualification penalty—that game plus four.
(The progression shall continue after the fourth disqualification penalty.)

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2014 01:26PM

David Harding
kaelistus

With some deep thinking, perhaps the refs could have come up with two or three infractions.
NCAA rule book

Ref as judge jury and executioner. I don't think it is realistic to expect two DQs for one infraction determined by the referee.

I do think it is realistic to expect that the ECAC will up the penalty. We are waiting but I'm not into oxygen deprivation in the interim.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2014 01:26PM by marty.

Posted by: RichH (134.223.116.---)
Date: January 20, 2014 02:22PM

marty
I do think it is realistic to expect that the ECAC will up the penalty. We are waiting but I'm not into oxygen deprivation in the interim.

There are certainly precendents in the past year:

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Most notably, this item specifically mentions ECAC's "supplemental discipline process" for the CU-QU playoff game 1 events: [www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 20, 2014 02:40PM

marty
David Harding
kaelistus

NCAA rule book

Ref as judge jury and executioner. I don't think it is realistic to expect two DQs for one infraction determined by the referee.

I think the refs did the right thing. The hit was egregious enough that he clearly deserved a DQ for it. But let the league office decide whether any additional punishment is warranted after reviewing the tape.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: January 20, 2014 03:51PM

Date: January 20, 2014 04:04PM

scoop85

Is that two on top of the 1 from the DQ?

Posted by: Robb (134.223.230.---)
Date: January 20, 2014 04:32PM

Dafatone
scoop85

Per the CHN article, "The supplemental discipline adds one game to the suspension. He is eligible to return Feb. 1 against Princeton."

Date: January 20, 2014 04:32PM

Dafatone
scoop85

It sounds like just the next 2. He may have a prior, in which case that'd be the ordinary result of a DQ.

Edit: or not, as per comment above. Interesting. Is this the first case of supplemental discipline actually resulting in a longer penalty?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2014 04:33PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 20, 2014 04:48PM

Great that the league did *something*.

Much more importantly, it would be great to know that our best player, who missed most of last season due to a neck/back injury, is healthy.

I don't think the punishment is enough. Nothing in college hockey is worth (reaggravating) an injury like that. It would be heartless for the league to do any less than the maximum possible to prevent shit like this from happening.

Should Neiley be punished additionally for reaggravating an injury that he didn't know about? Probably not. (And I'm assuming he didn't know). But at the same time, you have to live with the consequences of your actions.I think 3-5 games would be more appropriate.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: January 20, 2014 05:41PM

Anyone up in Ithaca have any word on how Bardreau is doing?

Date: January 20, 2014 06:30PM

BMac
It would be heartless for the league to do any less than the maximum possible to prevent shit like this from happening.

Well, the maximum possible would probably be a lifetime ban and criminal charges filed. I don't think this was warranted.

Removing my own emotions from this as I watch the video, and the punishment is probably fair. I've seen much more violent and dangerous hits go unpunished. 1 game for the cheap hit, 1 game for it being after the final buzzer. I'm OK with that.

Date: January 20, 2014 06:31PM

BMac

Much more importantly, it would be great to know that our best player, who missed most of last season due to a neck/back injury, is healthy.

I don't think the punishment is enough. Nothing in college hockey is worth (reaggravating) an injury like that. It would be heartless for the league to do any less than the maximum possible to prevent shit like this from happening.

Should Neiley be punished additionally for reaggravating an injury that he didn't know about? Probably not. (And I'm assuming he didn't know). But at the same time, you have to live with the consequences of your actions.I think 3-5 games would be more appropriate.
Suspend him until Bardreau comes back. Pretty simple.

Date: January 20, 2014 06:50PM

RichH
Removing my own emotions from this as I watch the video, and the punishment is probably fair. I've seen much more violent and dangerous hits go unpunished. 1 game for the cheap hit, 1 game for it being after the final buzzer. I'm OK with that.
Agree completely.

Date: January 20, 2014 06:53PM

Trotsky
BMac

Suspend him until Bardreau comes back. Pretty simple.
So if it turns out Bardreau is OK and plays this weekend you'd be fine with Neiley not being suspended? Because that's what linking the two would imply. The infraction is the infraction and should be judged on its own "merit". My opinion anyway.

Date: January 20, 2014 06:57PM

KeithK
So if it turns out Bardreau is OK and plays this weekend you'd be fine with Neiley not being suspended? Because that's what linking the two would imply. The infraction is the infraction and should be judged on its own "merit".

Rhetorical license. How about this -- minimum penalty but can't return until Bardreau? It is tied to "merit" because the amount of damage is quantifiable -- the wrong is partly the loss of control and the attack but also partly the damage inflicted. Attempted murder and murder have different penalties.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2014 06:58PM by Trotsky.

Date: January 20, 2014 07:06PM

Trotsky
KeithK
So if it turns out Bardreau is OK and plays this weekend you'd be fine with Neiley not being suspended? Because that's what linking the two would imply. The infraction is the infraction and should be judged on its own "merit".

Rhetorical license. How about this -- minimum penalty but can't return until Bardreau? It is tied to "merit" because the amount of damage is quantifiable -- the wrong is partly the loss of control and the attack but also partly the damage inflicted. Attempted murder and murder have different penalties.

I'm generally opposed to this sort of suspension idea. But in the case of cheap shots that happen during stoppages or after the game ends, it may be fitting.

Date: January 20, 2014 08:00PM

Dafatone
Trotsky
KeithK

I'm generally opposed to this sort of suspension idea. But in the case of cheap shots that happen during stoppages or after the game ends, it may be fitting.

I don't understand why you would be opposed to suspensions. Do you think it's OK to maim the opponents as long as the game clock is running? Bardreau was more vulnerable in this instance but intentional goonery isn't supposed to be part of the NCAA hockey experience.

Date: January 20, 2014 08:17PM

Fair point, I was careless with my phrasing. Though not by much.

How's this: the league should be extremely concerned with minimizing preventable injuries.

My point here is that the preventability of this incident is what merits a very severe response. I'll argue that the rules are generally meant to punish according to the likelihood of injury.

I assume that there's a probability of injury during fair play.
I assume that there's a larger probability of injury during dirty/unfair play. This is exactly what the punishments in the rules are meant to cover. Hitting someone from behind, contact to the head, boarding, cross-checking, spearing, etc are all punished, and more severe infractions (meaning infractions with a higher probability of injury) are punished more.

There's an even higher probability of injury when something like this occurs- after the buzzer- because the opposing player is defenseless and does not have a reasonable expectation of defending himself. By the same logic as above, a higher probability of injury merits more severe punishment.

However, this didn't happen during the game. It's way, way worse. There's no chance it was uninentional, and it's much more dangerous. Therefore, it should be punished more severely than a bad infraction that happened during the game.

Since there are in-game infractions that can be punished with 1 or 2 game suspensions, I reason that this case merits some significant amount more.

So to indulge your rhetorical question: what *would* happen if they banned this kid for life and filed charges?
Would it be unfair? Yes, I think it would. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's unprecedented to ban someone for life in college hockey like that.
But it would very likely prevent anyone from ever hitting an opponent meaningfully after the buzzer in ECAC hockey ever again. And I'd be very happy with that outcome.

To be clear, I'm not advocating banning the kid for life. But a 5 game suspension would sure catch every other NCAA player's attention. It's exactly like the NBA's rule against leaving the bench during a brawl, instituted after the Pistons/Pacers fight. It's ridculously inflexible and harsh, but after a couple more people got dinged by it and saw that the league was serious about never seeing a full-team fight again, it has worked perfectly. I was sad when the application of this rule caused the Suns to lose to the Spurs in the western conference finals several years ago, but the results of the rule have been exactly as intended.

Date: January 20, 2014 08:36PM

marty
Dafatone
Trotsky
KeithK

I don't understand why you would be opposed to suspensions. Do you think it's OK to maim the opponents as long as the game clock is running? Bardreau was more vulnerable in this instance but intentional goonery isn't supposed to be part of the NCAA hockey experience.

BMac just covered it pretty well. To me, there's a big difference between a goon knocking someone out, even with a cheap hit, during play and the goon doing the same during a stoppage. You get hit during play. You expect to get hit during play. If someone takes you out with a cheap hit, it's usually hitting from behind, or slashing, or contact to the head, or hooking, or crosschecking, or whatever other penalty it is. Plus more, if it's bad enough.

A hit like Neiley's isn't any of those penalties, because those penalties happen during the game. What Neiley did isn't a penalty at all. It's more akin to waiting for Bardreau after the game and clubbing him in the knees or something.

A cheap hockey shot is a cheap hockey shot. What Neiley did had nothing to do with hockey. Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of the "suspend the guy until the guy he injured returns" concept, but it makes more sense when a guy injures someone outside of a game of hockey than inside it.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2014 12:20AM

BMac

I assume that there's a probability of injury during fair play.
I assume that there's a larger probability of injury during dirty/unfair play. This is exactly what the punishments in the rules are meant to cover. Hitting someone from behind, contact to the head, boarding, cross-checking, spearing, etc are all punished, and more severe infractions (meaning infractions with a higher probability of injury) are punished more.

However, this didn't happen during the game. It's way, way worse. There's no chance it was uninentional, and it's much more dangerous. Therefore, it should be punished more severely than a bad infraction that happened during the game.

To be clear, I'm not advocating banning the kid for life. But a 5 game suspension would sure catch every other NCAA player's attention. It's exactly like the NBA's rule against leaving the bench during a brawl, instituted after the Pistons/Pacers fight. It's ridculously inflexible and harsh, but after a couple more people got dinged by it and saw that the league was serious about never seeing a full-team fight again, it has worked perfectly. I was sad when the application of this rule caused the Suns to lose to the Spurs in the western conference finals several years ago, but the results of the rule have been exactly as intended.

First of all, there already ARE harsh penalties in ALL levels of hockey to leave the bench to join an altercation. I'm pretty sure they were instituted well before whatever NBA rule there is.

Second, a high percentage of cheap hits & punches thrown by Cornell and their opponents are after the whistle. I hate to admit it, but Cornell is one of the dirtier teams in the league. Do you argue that the punches CU throws in defending their goaltender after opposing players crash the net a little too hard are less defensible because the whistle blew therefore it's not a "hockey hit?" I can think of a lot of shots and brawls that happened after whistles/buzzers between us and Brown, Dartmouth, Harvard, Clarkson, Colgate & RPI through the years. Punches and cheap hits thrown after the puck is dead aren't necessarily more dangerous than those checks & charges 5 feet from the boards, for example. BU's Travis Roy was paralyzed *during play*. Todd Bertuzzi sucker-punched Steve Moore *during play*. Just because the whistle hasn't been blown yet doesn't mean the crime (and therefore punishment) is better or worse.

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2014 01:50AM

Dafatone
A hit like Neiley's isn't any of those penalties, because those penalties happen during the game. What Neiley did isn't a penalty at all. It's more akin to waiting for Bardreau after the game and clubbing him in the knees or something.

A cheap hockey shot is a cheap hockey shot. What Neiley did had nothing to do with hockey. Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of the "suspend the guy until the guy he injured returns" concept, but it makes more sense when a guy injures someone outside of a game of hockey than inside it.
Oh come on. It happened seconds after the buzzer. It was dangerous and stupid because Bardreau was vulnerable, not expecting a hit. But it's nothing like assaulting him after the game. This was almost certainly a case of a kid who was amped up after a hard fought hockey game doing somethign stupid to take out his agression/frustration. Should he be punished for it. Absolutely. But lets keep some perspective here.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.sub-70-195-198.myvzw.com)
Date: January 21, 2014 09:18AM

KeithK
Dafatone

Oh come on. It happened seconds after the buzzer. It was dangerous and stupid because Bardreau was vulnerable, not expecting a hit. But it's nothing like assaulting him after the game. This was almost certainly a case of a kid who was amped up after a hard fought hockey game doing somethign stupid to take out his agression/frustration. Should he be punished for it. Absolutely. But lets keep some perspective here.

Ok, lets ask the following question? If this happened in the parking lot after the game it would pretty clearly be criminal assault.

If it happens as the buzzer sounds it is part of the game and the Referees had out the justice.

At what point after the final buzzer sounds do we cross the line.

I am not a big fan of the thuggery in Hockey. It is going to end at some point because 100's of ex professional players who are now drooling in their shoes due to concussions and their lawyers are going to make it unprofitable to continue.

Date: January 21, 2014 09:28AM

KeithK
Dafatone

Agree with this.

I'm completely speculating, but the confrontation, after watching the video several times, seems to stem off of Cornell forwards busting up the ice as if to make a rush after the buzzer had already sounded. Similar to taking exception to a forward shooting at the net well after the buzzer. "Where do you think you're going? We just tied your ranked ass. It's over, stop skating." It still was not right, it was still ridiculously dirty & bush-league, but that's what it seems like to me.

Date: January 21, 2014 10:01AM

RichH

I'm completely speculating, but the confrontation, after watching the video several times, seems to stem off of Cornell forwards busting up the ice as if to make a rush after the buzzer had already sounded. Similar to taking exception to a forward shooting at the net well after the buzzer. "Where do you think you're going? We just tied your ranked ass. It's over, stop skating." It still was not right, it was still ridiculously dirty & bush-league, but that's what it seems like to me.

You could be right, but if you are it's just one more error in judgment Neiley made. Bardreau never touched the puck after the buzzer, instead letting it glide away in front of him, as he slowed down. He was skating hard at the buzzer, but stopped about as fast as someone could respond to the buzzer, taking one last hard stride a split second after the buzzer, and then just gliding. He absolutely let up, and was turning to the bench when he got leveled.

Again, you could be right that somehow in Neiley's mind Bardreau was somehow still rushing up ice, but he clearly was not.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (209.68.90.---)
Date: January 21, 2014 11:15AM

Yes, a real class act!

Duck Fartmouth!!

flipa

Date: January 21, 2014 12:28PM

RichH
KeithK
Dafatone

Agree with this.

I guess we just see it differently, since to me I don't see Neiley continuing play at all. Bardreau and some other guy were jawing at each other a little, Bardreau goes to skate away from him, and Neiley crashes in. I don't think any of the three of them were concerned with the puck.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2014 02:21PM

Dafatone
kaelistus

I agree. I think part of the problem is that this doesn't happen all that often in college hockey, so there isn't as much of a precedent for how to deal with such a hit. Thornton's ambush was worse, but not necessarily by all that much, and that game was much more out of hand in both directions (that Neal knee to Marchand's head was awful, and I'm a Pens fan).
Neal should have gotten every bit as much time as Thornton for intentionally skating into a guy who was easily avoidable. The fact that he's Marchand notwithstanding. No place in the game for what either of those two did and the fact that Neal only got 5 games was a joke. This Dartmouth player should probably be suspended for the rest of the season, targeting a guy after the game and blindsiding Bardreau like that.

Date: January 21, 2014 02:23PM

css228
Dafatone
kaelistus

Neal should have gotten every bit as much time as Thornton for intentionally skating into a guy who was easily avoidable. The fact that he's Marchand notwithstanding. No place in the game for what either of those two did and the fact that Neal only got 5 games was a joke. This Dartmouth player should probably be suspended for the rest of the season, targeting a guy after the game and blindsiding Bardreau like that.

I would have given Neal 10 and Thornton 20, if I were in charge of everything.

I'd also kick Neiley out of hockey and/or college, but I'm completely without objectivity and reasonableness here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login