Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2010 Frozen Four tickets

Posted by dbilmes 
2010 Frozen Four tickets
Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 11:07AM

I recently received my notification from the NCAA that applications for next year's Frozen Four in Detroit are going to be accepted started Feb. 1. Since the games will be played outdoors at Ford Field, the NCAA anticipates that everyone who applies will get a ticket:
"Please note that due to the number of seats available for the event, all ticket applications submitted through the online ticket application process will likely be fulfilled."
I've been lucky enough to get tickets through the NCAA online lottery for each of the past several Frozen Fours. I've also been lucky enough to recoup my expenses by selling them when Cornell failed to qualify. I'm worried about applying for next year's tickets, since if Cornell doesn't make it (which might happen, especially if Riley Nash turns pro after this season!) I might get stuck with expensive tickets that either I can't sell or can't use. If Cornell does make it, it shouldn't be hard to get tickets given the size of the venue.
I know some of you go to the Frozen Four every year regardless of who's in it. But I'm curious as to whether those of you who usually sell the tickets if Cornell doesn't make it are still going to apply for tickets for next year.

Re: 2010 Frozen Four tickets
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2009 11:32AM

You can always apply for fewer tickets for 2010; if you get them, your priority number will still increase, and it won't prevent you from applying for the maximum number of tickets for 2011 and subsequent years.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 11:37AM

Beeeej
You can always apply for fewer tickets for 2010;
I only apply for two tickets every year anyway. I'm just worried about being stuck with anywhere from $250 to $400 worth of tickets that I can't use and can't sell.

Date: January 29, 2009 01:47PM

dbilmes
Beeeej
I only apply for two tickets every year anyway. I'm just worried about being stuck with anywhere from $250 to $400 worth of tickets that I can't use and can't sell.

I guess that's part of the risk, and it's one reason that I decided several years ago to attend the Frozen Four every year, Cornell's participation notwithstanding. You should consider it - we've got a decent Cornell group going.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2009 03:29PM

Beeeej
dbilmes
Beeeej

I guess that's part of the risk, and it's one reason that I decided several years ago to attend the Frozen Four every year, Cornell's participation notwithstanding. You should consider it - we've got a decent Cornell group going.

As some of us learned in Columbus, even if you attend the Frozen Four, it doesn't mean you'll get someone to take your other three tickets...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: January 29, 2009 04:05PM

jtwcornell91
Beeeej
dbilmes
Beeeej

As some of us learned in Columbus, even if you attend the Frozen Four, it doesn't mean you'll get someone to take your other three tickets...

Well...I got someone to *take* my other tickets. All I was left with was an empty envelope, unfortunately. cuss

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: January 29, 2009 04:54PM

Beeeej
dbilmes
Beeeej

Absolutely. It's a fun time. Even when our team doesn't make it, we still have a presence.

That said, I pretty much guarantee that there will be NO resale market for this FF. When the NCAA even says "yeah, everyone will get tickets! Go ahead and buy 8, if you want!" that has to tell you something. Hockey-L has had several people speak up and say that they're boycotting Ford Field.

Date: January 29, 2009 05:31PM

RichH
Beeeej
dbilmes
Beeeej

Absolutely. It's a fun time. Even when our team doesn't make it, we still have a presence.

That said, I pretty much guarantee that there will be NO resale market for this FF. When the NCAA even says "yeah, everyone will get tickets! Go ahead and buy 8, if you want!" that has to tell you something. Hockey-L has had several people speak up and say that they're boycotting Ford Field.

I don't think there's any reason to boycott, especially when I know we'll have fun (yes, even in the greater Detroit area). But I definitely don't think I'll be buying more than my usual four - and I suspect I'll be a little stricter about asking my three likely companions to commit in advance.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2009 09:59PM

Beeeej
RichH
Beeeej
dbilmes
Beeeej

I don't think there's any reason to boycott, especially when I know we'll have fun (yes, even in the greater Detroit area). But I definitely don't think I'll be buying more than my usual four - and I suspect I'll be a little stricter about asking my three likely companions to commit in advance.

Catch-22:

Inability to sell tickets for face value around the time of the tournament requires early committal from travel companions, but travel companions have little incentive to commit early, knowing tickets will likely be in high supply come March/April. doh

Date: January 29, 2009 10:06PM

Jordan 04
Beeeej
RichH
Beeeej
dbilmes
Beeeej

Catch-22:

Inability to sell tickets for face value around the time of the tournament requires early committal from travel companions, but travel companions have little incentive to commit early, knowing tickets will likely be in high supply come March/April. doh

How little imagination you have...! I don't mind if they tell me flat out "no" for Detroit well in advance, I just want a firm commitment one way or the other, as far in advance as possible. And if they can't offer a firm commitment, they go directly to the bottom of my list for St. Paul in 2011. (And one of my likely companions lives near St. Paul.) upto

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 12, 2009 05:19PM

Bump.

Tomorrow (Friday 3/13/09) is the last day to apply through the NC$$ and still get credit with your priority number.

====
From the NC$$:

January 23, 2009
TO: NCAA Men’s Frozen Four Priority Ticket Applicants.
FROM: NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship Staff.
SUBJECT: Online Ticket Application Process for the 2010 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four.

This is to inform you that the timeline for the online ticket application for the 2010 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four at Ford Field in Detroit has changed. Due to the unique and historic nature of conducting the championship at Ford Field, the ticket application window has been adjusted and will now be conducted earlier than prior ticket application processes. Please note that this change in the timeline is for the 2010 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four only.

THE ONLINE TICKET APPLICATION FOR THE 2010 NCAA MEN’S FROZEN FOUR AT FORD FIELD IN DETROIT WILL BE AVAILABLE ON THE OFFICIAL NCAA WEB SITE, WWW.NCAA.COM, BEGINNING AT 12 A.M. EASTERN TIME, SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2009. ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY 11:59 P.M. EASTERN TIME, FRIDAY, MARCH 13, 2009. APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THAT DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

In addition to the timeline change, please note that tickets will be offered at two different price points. All-session tickets will be available at either $189 or $119 depending on seat location. Applicants may also purchase up to eight tickets per household.

Please note that due to the number of seats available for the event, all ticket applications submitted through the online ticket application process will likely be fulfilled. In order to ensure that your priority number is applied to your application and that you receive priority credit for attending the event, you must use your Customer ID Number when you apply. If you are unsure of your Customer ID Number, please contact customer service at 800/801-9268. Please do NOT contact the NCAA national office.

The allocation of tickets will occur in March 2009. All applicants will receive confirmation of their status in April 2009. Tickets will be mailed in March 2010.

Again, the online ticket application for the 2010 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four at Ford Field in Detroit will be available on the official NCAA Web site, www.NCAA.com, beginning at 12 a.m. Eastern time, Sunday, February 1, 2009. All applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Eastern time, Friday, March 13, 2009. Applications received after that date will not be accepted.

Re: 2010 Frozen Four tickets Drawing Held
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2009 04:26PM

And guess what... I'm a winner. I'll even get a commemorative ticket. :-P

I just got this via email:

"TO: 2010 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four Ticket Applicants.
FROM: NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship Staff.
SUBJECT: Results of Online Ticket Application Process.

This is to inform you that your offer to purchase tickets contained in your application for tickets to the 2010 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four at Ford Field in Detroit has been accepted. A formal notification will follow via the United States Postal Service within the next two weeks detailing more information about your tickets.

As you may have seen or heard, tickets to the 2010 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four will go on sale this Saturday, April 18, through the Ford Field box office or Ticketmaster. You do not need to purchase tickets through either means as you have successfully purchased tickets through the NCAA’s online application process.

Please keep in mind that those individuals purchasing tickets on or after April 18 through the Ford Field box office or Ticketmaster will receive their tickets and seat assignments immediately. By applying for tickets through the online application process, you will receive a commemorative ticket(s) and your seat assignment(s) in March 2010. Please do not be alarmed that others may be receiving their tickets much earlier than March 2010 as theirs will be printed on standard box office ticket stock.

We thank you for applying for tickets to the 2010 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four and appreciate your interest in and support of NCAA ice hockey."

Date: April 15, 2009 04:36PM

Likewise.

- Steve Worona

Date: April 15, 2009 05:05PM

I can't imagine that anybody got rejected.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 15, 2009 05:39PM

RichH
Since they basically said that on the application, and set up for selling individual tickets this Sat., I'm sure you're right. That is, unless you're a terrorist.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2009 11:42PM

RichH

I guess I forgot the snark emoticon. ;-)

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2009 05:28PM

And an update:

"FW: Results of Online Ticket Application Process - 2010 NCAA Men's Frozen Four
Friday, April 17, 2009 11:00 AM
To:undisclosed-recipients

For your information, seat assignments will continue to be based on your priority number. A specific number of prime seats have been set aside for individuals who purchased tickets through the online application process. Individuals will be seated by priority number within the ticket price point purchased (i.e., $119 seats or $189 seats).

We are currently working with Ford Field to provide seat assignments to our online ticket applicants. Seat assignments will either be included in the formal notification letter that will be sent out in the next several weeks or we will e-mail them to you.

As a reminder, and as noted in the online ticket application instructions, we do not accept cancellations of ticket applications. If you choose to also purchase tickets through the Ford Field box office or Ticketmaster, you will still be responsible for the tickets purchased through the online application process."

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2009 04:13PM

I wonder if those prime seats will be "near" the action. You know, like these ones for the UConn students.

The NYTimes
Some of the worst seats were close to the floor, in the rows directly behind the baskets where students sat. Because the court was raised a couple of feet, television cameras and other baseline obstructions blocked their views.

At the start Saturday, a security guard tried to force the Connecticut students to stay seated because, by standing up, they blocked the views of those behind them. But this was like telling an ocean to stop making waves; the guard soon gave up.

From "At Ford Field, Even College Basketball’s Biggest Stage Looks Tiny."

I just cannot help but think this whole thing is going to be an unmitigated disaster. What is this nonsense about putting the rink in the middle of the field? Must college hockey slavishly imitate college basketball, even though the two are completely different sports that lend themselves to completely different stadiums/arenas? (To my aesthetic sense, the notion of a mixed-use basketball/hockey arena is as idiotic as a mixed-use football/baseball stadium.)

I'm looking forward to the 2010 season for a few reasons, and I'm very likely to make next year's Final Four, no matter the participants, due to geographical proximity. If Cornell ends its season in Ford Field it will be quite an achievement, and I will be damn happy to watch them play.

But what a godawful venue made worse by godawfully stupid decisions. Everyone had best bring binoculars.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 24, 2009 04:24PM

Scersk '97
Must college hockey slavishly imitate college basketball, even though the two are completely different sports that lend themselves to completely different stadiums/arenas? (To my aesthetic sense, the notion of a mixed-use basketball/hockey arena is as idiotic as a mixed-use football/baseball stadium.)
Explain? Maybe it's just because I'm not a basketball fan but I don't see much of a difference in terms of arena requiremnets. Plus most pro arena are multi-use hockey/basketball/etc. right?

Date: April 24, 2009 04:52PM

KeithK
Scersk '97
Must college hockey slavishly imitate college basketball, even though the two are completely different sports that lend themselves to completely different stadiums/arenas? (To my aesthetic sense, the notion of a mixed-use basketball/hockey arena is as idiotic as a mixed-use football/baseball stadium.)
Explain? Maybe it's just because I'm not a basketball fan but I don't see much of a difference in terms of arena requiremnets. Plus most pro arena are multi-use hockey/basketball/etc. right?

I find basketball to be a much more vertical game than hockey. You know, the ball arcing through the air and all. Hockey is about being able to perceive the speed of movement across the ice, which is easier to do from above.

So, I feel that hockey arenas are best built with steeply sloping seats in multiple tiers (think Boston Garden), whereas basketball venues can tolerate a more gradual slope to seating.

(Of course, this comes from someone who watched every game in his undergraduate days from one of the last two rows of section A (or, as the tickets said, AA), so my preferences are going to be obvious. Front row by the glass? Feh.)

Posted by: Rita (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 24, 2009 04:56PM

KeithK
Scersk '97

Unfortunately, yes and at this time of year it sucks. Last weekend you had the Celtics-Bulls basketball game at 1 pm, and then they had to turn the TD whatever it is now Garden around for the B's-Habs playoff game.

Tomorrow, the same thing in Chicago with the added complication of it being in the 80's in Chicago-land. What that means is the ice is less than stellar at times when the games mean the most.

Fortunately, the Wizards, knicks and nets suck. so it is just Boston and Chicago that will have to deal with it, and soon just one of them as one of the squeakball teams will be eliminated.

I remember this being problematic at times way back in the day when the Whalers had to deal with this with some UConn and even Celtic games (C's would play a couple of games at the Mall).

I know ice making techniques have improved, but a sheet of ice covered until ~ 4 hours before face-off just can't be good.

Date: April 24, 2009 07:00PM

I can see how ice quality can be an issue. But Scersk's initial comment realted to sight lines. He's explained and although I think his comparison of basketball/hockey arenas to baseball/football stadiums is pretty weak (multi-use baseball/football places are much, much worse) I guess I sort of see his argument.

Date: April 26, 2009 02:55AM

KeithK
I can see how ice quality can be an issue. But Scersk's initial comment realted to sight lines. He's explained and although I think his comparison of basketball/hockey arenas to baseball/football stadiums is pretty weak (multi-use baseball/football places are much, much worse) I guess I sort of see his argument.

The crossing of baseball architecture with that of any other sport is anathema. But, of course, much of that perception comes from how zealous baseball fans are about the "purity" of "their" game.

I feel much the same about hockey. The rise of basketball--in the northern climes much to the detriment of "my" game--and our always misguided cultural tendencies toward frugality have lead to some horrible mixed-use arena architecture over the years; honestly, it's so bad at this point that many people have no idea what a purpose-built hockey venue should look like, since their only experience of the game has been in multi-sport venues.

For even the casual fan, it's rather easy to look at a baseball diamond wedged into a football field and cry foul. Heck, it quite obviously cheapens the gameplay. But if one considers the fan experience an integral aspect of any spectator sport, then the horrible mixed basketball/hockey arenas cheapen my chosen sports obsession nearly as much.

These awful venues--and there are so many that have been built and are being built--are symptomatic of a culture that has lost its connection to notions of beauty, elegance, tradition, and permanence. Throw up a pole barn and call it a day. It's cheaper, isn't it? And then, when we get tired of that one, we can just build another one further out in the suburbs.

The oldest arena in the NHL is the Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh, and it will soon be replaced. Arguably, part of Bettman's "legacy" in the NHL has been the homogenization of the league, and the "retirement" of some great venues has been a part of that. No longer the Garden, the Gardens, the Forum, nor the Stadium. Would that hockey had even half the reverence for its architectural icons that baseball does.

And, continuing that thought, may Lynah never be replaced. May it be refurbished and renovated but never eradicated. If we ever lose that Rink, we will have collectively lost a vital connection to Cornell's history. Maybe I'm a sentimental old fool, but not to have that place to revisit on the Hill would leave a gaping hole in my heart, and there are far too many of those already caused by the loss of so many of my other favorite places.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2009 09:15AM

Scersk '97
These awful venues--and there are so many that have been built and are being built--are symptomatic of a culture that has lost its connection to notions of beauty, elegance, tradition, and permanence. Throw up a pole barn and call it a day.

I see you are new to our land?

The disappointment fades in time. Have a Lunchables.

Date: October 08, 2009 06:10PM

RichH
Friday, April 17, 2009 11:00 AM

We are currently working with Ford Field to provide seat assignments to our online ticket applicants. Seat assignments will either be included in the formal notification letter that will be sent out in the next several weeks or we will e-mail them to you.

Still waiting on the seat assignments, mainly because they just announced that they are reconfiguring the field ice. They shoved the rink to the end zone and plopped bleachers in. [www.ncaa.com]

Ticket sales must be low and they're trying to avoid the embarrassment of having a vastly empty football stadium. But hey! Let's put a happy spin on it and say that we have an opportunity to break the all time record of 19,000+ for the Finals. Seating capacity is now set at 36,000 instead of 50k or whatever the original full-stadium configuration had.

[www.ncaa.com]

and from an email they just sent out:

Based on this new configuration, all previously assigned seats for NCAA online ticket applicants are being reassigned. As noted in the release, the new configuration will provide improved sight lines for fans and an overall enhanced championship experience for the participating student-athletes.

Your revised seat assignments will still be based on your priority number and your seats will be located within a prime block reserved specifically for online ticket applicants.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2009 06:13PM by RichH.

Date: October 08, 2009 06:41PM

RichH
Ticket sales must be low and they're trying to avoid the embarrassment of having a vastly empty football stadium. But hey! Let's put a happy spin on it and say that we have an opportunity to break the all time record of 19,000+ for the Finals. Seating capacity is now set at 36,000 instead of 50k or whatever the original full-stadium configuration had.
I'll give you a happy spin on it. Seems pretty unlikely they'll ever play the Frozen Four in a football stadium again. That's a good thing.

(Though if Cornell were to make it to Detroit I'm sure I would be very happy that I could buy tickets at face value in April.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login