Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hockey Off-Season

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Hockey Off-Season
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2013 04:16PM

Let's start this off with some good news. Maybe this is one reason we like being in the ECAC. Half of the national men's and women's teams that scored over 990 on the NCAA APR rankings were from the ECAC.

I might as well put up CU's post on this and the NCAA press release.

USCHO has a nice interactive table.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2013 04:32PM by Jim Hyla.

Re: Hockey Off-Season
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2013 06:37PM

RIT's march to the top can only be explainbed by John's affiliation with them. :-)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2013 07:14PM

Jim Hyla
Let's start this off with some good news. Maybe this is one reason we like being in the ECAC. Half of the national men's and women's teams that scored over 990 on the NCAA APR rankings were from the ECAC.

Good to see that so many of the teams scoring above 990 were from the ECAC; less good to see that the Cornell men's team is not among them.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2013 12:47AM

It’s the fifth straight 1,000 for the Brown men’s team; the women’s team has been there three years in a row.

Brown will always get a "perfect score" when all the courses are pass/fail, right?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 12:48AM by RichH.

Posted by: profudge (---.hmpt.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 15, 2013 08:41AM

Rich, adding kids like: Ryan Coon — Taft School; goalie, I see as 3rd on depth chart - but brings good academics might also help our score in the future, He won math prize at graduation at Taft. I think folks leaving early hits the score some also, no?

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: June 18, 2013 01:39PM

We finished behind North Dakota???wowwtf

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 18, 2013 02:09PM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla

Good to see that so many of the teams scoring above 990 were from the ECAC; less good to see that the Cornell men's team is not among them.
I'm so disappointed! Our men's team didn't reach an arbitrary level on a metric that isn't described in any detail at all!

So what does a score of 988 out of 1000 on the innovative APR mean anyway?

Posted by: Weder (---.austin.hp.com)
Date: June 18, 2013 04:02PM

KeithK
Josh '99
Jim Hyla

I'm so disappointed! Our men's team didn't reach an arbitrary level on a metric that isn't described in any detail at all!

So what does a score of 988 out of 1000 on the innovative APR mean anyway?

I'm not sure how you calculate the APR for an Ivy school, because the APR is supposed to be a measure of how scholarship athletes are doing. From the NCAA's site:

NCAA.org
How is the APR calculated?
While eligibility requirements make the individual student-athlete accountable, the Academic Progress Rate creates a level of institutional responsibility. The Academic Progress Rate is a Division I metric developed to track the academic achievement of teams each academic term.

Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one retention point for staying in school and one eligibility point for being academically eligible. A team’s total points are divided by points possible and then multiplied by one thousand to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate score.

So I guess every athlete counts toward an Ivy team's APR? The APR is a four-year rolling average, so if anyone remembers how many early departures the team had in that time frame you could try to see how accurate the APR is.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 04:03PM by Weder.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: July 05, 2013 05:14PM

I've been reorganizing my attic and came across this article from the IJ, October 25, 1969. How prescient of Ned!

Date: July 05, 2013 05:25PM

I apparently sent this clipping to SI for inclusion in Faces in the Crowd, but it was rejected.

Date: July 05, 2013 05:46PM

Who knew that Michael Doonesbury played hockey? A friend sent me this copy when he was working in Indianapolis. I suspect that he might have done some editing, using an early version of Photoshop, i.e., White Out and a steady hand.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2013 08:53PM by George64.

Date: July 06, 2013 02:30AM

George64
Who knew that Michael Doonesbury played hockey? A friend sent me this copy when he was working in Indianapolis. I suspect that he might have done some editing, using an early version of Photoshop, i.e., White Out and a steady hand.

That's great. For those looking for some sort of connection and/or timeframe, Gary Trudeau is a Yalie through-and-through, enrolling as a freshman in 1966 and even earned his MFA at Yale in 1973. He also was raised in Saranac Lake, NY, which is only a few miles away from Lake Placid. According to Wikipedia, Doonesbury debuted in the Yale Daily News in September, 1968, and was first syndicated daily in October 1970.

Makes sense, that he would reference the Big Red in a hockey-themed strip.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2013 02:54AM

RichH
George64

That's great. For those looking for some sort of connection and/or timeframe, Gary Trudeau is a Yalie through-and-through, enrolling as a freshman in 1966 and even earned his MFA at Yale in 1973. He also was raised in Saranac Lake, NY, which is only a few miles away from Lake Placid. According to Wikipedia, Doonesbury debuted in the Yale Daily News in September, 1968, and was first syndicated daily in October 1970.

I remember one where an opponent tells him off in French and he surrenders the puck thinking it's a Canadian when it's actually a French major from the Bronx.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: July 06, 2013 08:47AM

jtwcornell91
RichH
George64

I remember one where an opponent tells him off in French and he surrenders the puck thinking it's a Canadian when it's actually a French major from the Bronx.

"Just a French Major from the Bronx" is the name of one of the collections.

Date: July 06, 2013 08:51AM

RichH

"B.D." was Yale QB Brian Dowling; in fact in the first few strips he and the rest of the team have Y's on their helmets.

Date: July 06, 2013 12:11PM

jtwcornell91
RichH
George64

Quelle mémoire!

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: July 08, 2013 10:41AM

Trotsky
RichH

"B.D." was Yale QB Brian Dowling; in fact in the first few strips he and the rest of the team have Y's on their helmets.
I'm pretty sure a Calvin Hill analogue was in the early huddles with BD and Zonker too.

Date: July 08, 2013 02:42PM

ugarte
I'm pretty sure a Calvin Hill analogue was in the early huddles with BD and Zonker too.

Yup!

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: July 08, 2013 03:17PM

I think I've mentioned it here before, but this is a fun documentary that includes a good bit of discussion on the strip and (of course) Brian Dowling: Harvard Beats Yale 29-29

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: July 08, 2013 03:30PM

George64
ugarte

Yup!
I see it's just about as funny as it is today, too.

Posted by: duffs4 (---.flytac.com)
Date: July 11, 2013 03:11PM

Update: Mike McCarron opts to take the pro route.

Date: July 11, 2013 05:57PM

Doug Murray to join CU Athletic HOF.

Date: July 11, 2013 09:08PM

I was wondering how Winchester Osgood, 1893 avoided the CU Athletic HOF for so long, until I read that he left Cornell for Penn. Blacklisted?

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: July 13, 2013 06:42AM

What's the story on the 2013 hockey alumni game (when/where).

Tnx.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 13, 2013 07:47AM

There isn't one this year according to the hockey association site. Don't know why.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: July 17, 2013 12:01PM

An email from Schafer said the alumni golf tournament was cancelled because of lack of registrants. That gave me a shiver. Hope there's not a problem brewing.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.washdc.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 01:17PM

RPI blog Without A Peer's annual article about Cornell.

I have no connection to WaP besides being a reader.

In case anyone cares, "without a peer" is a phrase in the RPI alma mater.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: July 31, 2013 02:16PM

ursusminor

I hope he's right.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 11:18AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ursusminor

I hope he's right.

Me too. It's actually a fairly well-researched and well-thought-out opponent review; not the boiler plate one usually sees. I'm looking forward to reading the other KYEs as a guide to our common opponents. I have for example absolutely no idea what to expect from Clarkson this year.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2013 11:18AM by Trotsky.

Date: August 01, 2013 11:57AM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
ursusminor

I hope he's right.

Me too. It's actually a fairly well-researched and well-thought-out opponent review; not the boiler plate one usually sees. I'm looking forward to reading the other KYEs as a guide to our common opponents. I have for example absolutely no idea what to expect from Clarkson this year.

You have a while to wait until Clarkson. After he finished the OOC teams, he has been posting one per week on Wednesday in the order that RPI faces them for the first time. So far, Harvard, Dartmouth, and Cornell. Next week is Colgate.

Date: August 01, 2013 03:09PM

ursusminor
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
ursusminor

I hope he's right.

You have a while to wait until Clarkson. After he finished the OOC teams, he has been posting one per week on Wednesday in the order that RPI faces them for the first time. So far, Harvard, Dartmouth, and Cornell. Next week is Colgate.
As long as he'd done by November.

Date: August 01, 2013 04:40PM

Trotsky
ursusminor
Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
ursusminor

I hope he's right.

As long as he'd done by November.
It's designed to end before RPI's season starts. :-)

Date: August 05, 2013 04:39PM

We missed a little good news last week:

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. — Union senior-to-be Josh Jooris has decided to leave school and sign a two year entry-level NHL contract with the Calgary Flames. Jooris joins former teammates Troy Grosenick (San Jose Sharks), Jeremy Welsh (Carolina Hurricanes) and Keith Kinkaid (New Jersey Devils) as the fourth Union player in the past three seasons to sign an NHL contract as an undrafted free agent.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 12:22AM

Trotsky

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. — Union senior-to-be Josh Jooris has decided to leave school and sign a two year entry-level NHL contract with the Calgary Flames. Jooris joins former teammates Troy Grosenick (San Jose Sharks), Jeremy Welsh (Carolina Hurricanes) and Keith Kinkaid (New Jersey Devils) as the fourth Union player in the past three seasons to sign an NHL contract as an undrafted free agent.

Another of our coming opponents, UNO, has lost a couple of players, too.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: August 07, 2013 12:54PM

A nice way to start your season early. Bobcats Bound for Italy

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 01:19AM

Jim Hyla

Jeez, I could have sworn the Colosseum is in Rome. Maybe there's another one in Milan or at Lake Como. Or maybe the image of Q's hockey players as gladiators was more attractive for Q's publicists than one of the team going to church or going shopping.

Then again, maybe the person who designed the announcement was a geography major at Quinnipiac.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 01:30AM

Swampy
Jim Hyla

Jeez, I could have sworn the Colosseum is in Rome. Maybe there's another one in Milan or at Lake Como. Or maybe the image of Q's hockey players as gladiators was more attractive for Q's publicists than one of the team going to church or going shopping.

Then again, maybe the person who designed the announcement was a geography major at Quinnipiac.

Oh wait. I looked at their itinerary. Apparently they couldn't get a flight home from Milan, so they're making the 7-hour trip to Rome on Sunday the 18th and will spend two days waiting there before their departure on the 21st. What, no extra days for excursions to Pompeii and Capri? How can you have a preseason hockey training trip without that?
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 01:31AM by Swampy.

Posted by: redice (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 08, 2013 08:53AM

Jim Hyla

Also a heckuva good team-bonding experience.

I don't know who arranged it. But, I would call it "brilliant" on a few levels.

-Ned Harkness

Date: August 08, 2013 09:11AM

redice
Jim Hyla

Yeah.

Also, jokes aside, that looks like a damn fun trip. I'm not sure 20-something rockheads from Hamden are going to get the most of it and I would be perfectly happy to sit in for one on the flight.

Edit: if I'm reading it right, family and alumni are also invited (presumably they pay their own way). I gotta tell ya, if Cornell hockey did a trip like that I would seriously consider it if some others in the eLynah community did. It sounds like a blast.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 09:17AM by Trotsky.

Date: August 08, 2013 02:01PM

Trotsky
redice
Jim Hyla

Yeah.

Also, jokes aside, that looks like a damn fun trip. I'm not sure 20-something rockheads from Hamden are going to get the most of it and I would be perfectly happy to sit in for one on the flight.

Edit: if I'm reading it right, family and alumni are also invited (presumably they pay their own way). I gotta tell ya, if Cornell hockey did a trip like that I would seriously consider it if some others in the eLynah community did. It sounds like a blast.

Sorry. They can't even practice together at that time of year per Ivy League rules, never mind play some exhibition games.

Date: August 08, 2013 03:25PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
redice
Jim Hyla

Yeah.

Sorry. They can't even practice together at that time of year per Ivy League rules, never mind play some exhibition games.

Italy's nice in December, too.

Posted by: Weder (---.austin.hp.com)
Date: August 08, 2013 03:46PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
redice
Jim Hyla

Yeah.

Italy's nice in December, too.

Ivy teams are allowed to take part in these summer overseas trips. NCAA rules allow for them once every four years per team, I think. I remember several Cornell teams doing this in recent years.

Date: August 08, 2013 05:16PM

More on the trip from the New Haven Register.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 12:34PM

More offseason ECAC news:

Spiro Goulakos is in remission and rejoins Colgate for this season:
[www.ecachockey.com]

Four Harvard players (Everson, Luzar, McNally, and Michalek) reinstated after serving a one year suspension from the cheating scandal:
[www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com]

Date: August 13, 2013 07:14AM

Trotsky

And a replacement comes in. Reports by Ken Schott and ECAC.

And some good news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2013 07:17AM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 16, 2013 11:24AM

Canucks reportedly interested in Douglas Murray Douglas Murray Update

"The Canucks reportedly have interest in free agent Douglas Murray, who would provide a physical boost.

Murray's agent told the Province he's had talks with the Canucks “off and on” throughout the summer, though they're currently not close to a deal.

The 33-year-old blueliner is coming off a four-year, $10 million contract but won't get anything close to that this summer. If Murray wants a multi-year deal from the Canucks (or anyone else), he'll have to accept a pay cut."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 11:26AM by RatushnyFan.

Date: August 16, 2013 09:53PM

Interesting UNO news. Two UNO Players Dismissed After Fight Charges and NCHC Will Have Shootouts

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.northlandsecurities.com)
Date: August 19, 2013 10:26AM

Matt White has put up some points over the last few years......looks like UNO is taking the high road as they should.

Date: August 26, 2013 05:55PM

Oddity: each of the other 5 Ivies begins its Ivy schedule with Princeton.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: August 26, 2013 07:27PM

Trotsky

So Princeton will get more than 1 chance to make a good first impression?

Date: August 26, 2013 08:52PM

Rita
Trotsky

So Princeton will get more than 1 chance to make a good first impression?

Princeton could use a guy like Joel.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.northlandsecurities.com)
Date: August 28, 2013 11:40AM

Joel, get off the babysitter.....

Date: August 28, 2013 05:53PM

RatushnyFan
Joel, get off the babysitter.....

+1

Exactly the line I thought of. popcorn

Date: September 04, 2013 07:02AM

Via ECAC, New England Hockey Journal article on Ferlin.

Date: September 04, 2013 01:03PM

Trotsky
Jeff Hopkins '82
ursusminor

I hope he's right.

WaP's Clarkson post. [www.withoutapeer.com]

Date: September 05, 2013 07:21AM

USCHO article on travels to NCAA arenas, highlighting the 13 most recently visited. Who is #1 and who gets the Cracker Box Award?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2013 07:22AM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2013 11:18AM

"During the national anthem, fans bust out with a unison cheer of “U!”"

During every cheer, the fans bust out with "U!" and only with "U!". It's literally the only cheer syllable they are aware of.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: September 05, 2013 11:27AM

French Rage

During every cheer, the fans bust out with "U!" and only with "U!". It's literally the only cheer syllable they are aware of.
Their fanbase is 70% little kids who get in free and tear around the arena oblivious to the game. Be glad they manage to be engaged for one syllable.

Date: September 13, 2013 11:07AM

Trotsky
French Rage

Their fanbase is 70% little kids who get in free and tear around the arena oblivious to the game. Be glad they manage to be engaged for one syllable.
The rest of the fanbase is Union students, so be glad they can remember one syllable.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: September 13, 2013 11:35AM

Josh '99
Trotsky
French Rage

The rest of the fanbase is Union students, so be glad they can remember one syllable.

No, there's also those three old people from Schenectady, who think being a good fan is bringing a gallon milk jug full of pennies and shaking them in people's faces.

Posted by: marty (---.albyny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2013 11:41AM

Josh '99
Trotsky
French Rage

I think you might mean one letter - their signature cheer. U

Date: September 13, 2013 11:43AM

marty
Josh '99
Trotsky
French Rage

I never understood how a school called "UC" who has the wit (sic) to scream "You!" during the anthem isn't smart enough to make the big leap to yell "You See!"

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: September 13, 2013 12:26PM

Trotsky
marty
Josh '99
Trotsky
French Rage

I never understood how a school called "UC" who has the wit (sic) to scream "You!" during the anthem isn't smart enough to make the big leap to yell "You See!"

They did at least one game I attended there, but that was probably 10 years ago. The non-clever always seems to rise to the top.

I keep thinking of getting an organized effort to shout "CAN" to neuter that more. I doubt they'd be swift enough to do the "ROCKETS" "GLARE" thing.

Date: September 13, 2013 02:50PM

RichH
Josh '99
Trotsky
French Rage

No, there's also those three old people from Schenectady, who think being a good fan is bringing a gallon milk jug full of pennies and shaking them in people's faces.
Oh man, I forgot about those people. That's nearly as bad as Thunderstix.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2013 04:23PM

Trotsky
marty
Josh '99
Trotsky
French Rage

Lack of originality and skill is common among UC schools.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: September 16, 2013 11:44AM

Looking at Big Red Puckhead's recruit list I noticed that Gavin Stoick was listed as a member of Green Bay in the USHL, and sure enough he's no longer on the Cornell roster but is indeed listed on the Green Bay roster as a forward rather than a defenseman. He's still shown as a Cornell recruit. Pure speculation on my part, but perhaps the coaches suggested that he spend a year in the USHL and then plan to return next season having a year playing forward under his belt?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login