Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

What are your expectations for success in 13-14

Posted by Towerroad 
What are your expectations for success in 13-14
Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 08:02AM

Poll
What single metric of a successful '13-'14 season would you use
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
124 votes were received.
Win the ECAC Tournament 7

6%
Make the NC$$ Tournament 43

35%
Win the first Game of the NC$$ Tournament 35

28%
Top 4 in the ECAC Regular Season 13

10%
Frozen Four 20

16%
Other 6

5%

Ok, the first poll suggested that there is overwhelming support for the status quo in coaching. So, the next step is to determine what is the definition of what the faithful expect of their coach. Feel free to comment on what you would consider a successful season next year. (I'll bet you can guess what the next poll will be)

Re: What are your expectations for success in 13-14
Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-7.myvzw.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 08:09AM

I'm hoping to make a return visit to Lynah with my wife. If so, that will continue a once a year pilgrimage begun in 1996. Hopefully I will not be in section O.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 08:35AM

Towerroad
Ok, the first poll suggested that there is overwhelming support for the status quo in coaching. So, the next step is to determine what is the definition of what the faithful expect of their coach. Feel free to comment on what you would consider a successful season next year. (I'll bet you can guess what the next poll will be)

The tone of the question differs from the title of the poll. Is this a poll of what would qualify as a "successful" season or an "acceptable" performance out of the coach? I think there's a difference.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 09:32AM

I think a top 4 finish in the conference, a trip to Lake Placid (at which point the nature of single elimination tournaments makes it something of a crapshoot), and a bid to the NCAA tournament seem like a reasonable target for 2013-14. Obviously I'd love to see the team accomplish more, but I'd call that my starting point (which I would consider adjusting if we saw lots of early departures).

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 09:46AM

RichH
Towerroad

The tone of the question differs from the title of the poll. Is this a poll of what would qualify as a "successful" season or an "acceptable" performance out of the coach? I think there's a difference.
I will grant that there is a difference. However, the coach recruits the team, trains the team, chooses the style of play, sets the lines and calls the shots, he is responsible. He is a well paid professional and as such is paid at least in some measure to produce results.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 10:14AM

Towerroad
RichH
Towerroad

I will grant that there is a difference. However, the coach recruits the team, trains the team, chooses the style of play, sets the lines and calls the shots, he is responsible. He is a well paid professional and as such is paid at least in some measure to produce results.
Inasmuch as Cornell is an Ivy League school, one could argue that by helping to mold well-adjusted, respectable young men who will go on to be leaders in whatever field they pursue (be it hockey or something else), he's done his job. Of course, I'd like a lot more than that, but that's because I follow the sport for the sake of the sport, and I'm a greedy bastard.

To put it another way: Coach Schafer doesn't owe me or you dick. If you don't like his performance but the University seems happy with it, you are free to follow another team (and, of course, to keep bitching about it in a Mets fan-like fashion).

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 11:01AM

Towerroad
RichH
Towerroad

And you didn't answer my question. This poll looks like a shady way to claim "popular support" is on your side when you ultimately start calling for Schafer's head next season if we don't advance to the Frozen Four (or whatever wins). Do you want us to vote on the criteria of a "successful" season or "acceptable" season? Also, I agree with Kyle. The coach doesn't owe you jack squat.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 11:02AM by RichH.

Date: April 16, 2013 11:10AM

Kyle Rose
Towerroad
RichH
Towerroad

Inasmuch as Cornell is an Ivy League school, one could argue that by helping to mold well-adjusted, respectable young men who will go on to be leaders in whatever field they pursue (be it hockey or something else), he's done his job. Of course, I'd like a lot more than that, but that's because I follow the sport for the sake of the sport, and I'm a greedy bastard.

To put it another way: Coach Schafer doesn't owe me or you dick. If you don't like his performance but the University seems happy with it, you are free to follow another team (and, of course, to keep bitching about it in a Mets fan-like fashion).
While I might agree with your assessment I do not know how to measure it. I believe in the adage you cant manage what you cant measure.

There is a somewhat unrelated metric that I suspect the university does measure Fund Raising. If a coach is a champion fund raiser then his/her success on the field is far less important.

Date: April 16, 2013 11:49AM

Towerroad
Kyle Rose
Towerroad
RichH
Towerroad

While I might agree with your assessment I do not know how to measure it. I believe in the adage you cant manage what you cant measure.

There is a somewhat unrelated metric that I suspect the university does measure Fund Raising. If a coach is a champion fund raiser then his/her success on the field is far less important.

It is not inconceivable that Cornell could improve cash flow by de-funding all athletic programs.

Consider Rutgers, which dates back to the colonial period and is the flagship state university for New Jersey. According to a database compiled on an annual basis by USA Today, Rutgers' athletic department spent just over $60 million to field all its teams, pay its coaches, etc. in 2011. The school generated about $9 million in ticket sales, $7.6 million in alumni and corporate donations, $8.8 million in rights and licensing fees, and $6 million in other revenue. The school also sucked a whopping $9 million in student fees and another $19.4 million in school funds. When all is tallied up, USA Today calculates that Rutgers is subsidizing the operation of its athletic department to the tune of 47 percent of its expenses.
[reason.com]

Undoubtedly the numbers are different for Cornell, but I suspect the end result is similar.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 12:04PM

Josh '99
I think a top 4 finish in the conference, a trip to Lake Placid (at which point the nature of single elimination tournaments makes it something of a crapshoot), and a bid to the NCAA tournament seem like a reasonable target for 2013-14. Obviously I'd love to see the team accomplish more, but I'd call that my starting point (which I would consider adjusting if we saw lots of early departures).
This.

The other target which is far more subjective is "a strong Freshman class." IMHO we just graduated a strong class of '13, and we return a weak class of '14, a VERY strong class of '15, and a weak class of '16. The class of '17 is pivotal because it replaces a strong class and because it's going to be very large (as many as 11 players).
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 12:06PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: April 16, 2013 12:22PM

I realize polls don't matter, blah blah blah, but I think my definition of success is to be in the top 10 at Tourney time. That could only happen through a combination of good ECAC and OOC performance, and would mean that the team is once again "good enough to dream".

Posted by: Dafatone (---.midco.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 12:43PM

For me, a good year is making the tournament. There are other ways to measure success, and other things to look for, but that's the baseline for good, for me.

Which is, honestly, a somewhat high bar. At least in my opinion.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 12:52PM

Towerroad
Kyle Rose
Towerroad
RichH
Towerroad

You still didn't answer RichH's question. I have much different answers for each of his scenarios.

Date: April 16, 2013 12:56PM

Towerroad
Kyle Rose
Towerroad
RichH
Towerroad

Which belies the more important truth that you can neither manage nor measure anything that's important.

Posted by: BearLover (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 03:17PM

Before this season, the metric I used to determine whether a season was successful was whether Cornell made the tournament. Not anymore. After mother******* Yale won the national championship, I am not going to be happy unless Cornell wins it itself. So basically I am never going to be happy.

Date: April 16, 2013 04:01PM

BearLover
Before this season, the metric I used to determine whether a season was successful was whether Cornell made the tournament. Not anymore. After mother******* Yale won the national championship, I am not going to be happy unless Cornell wins it itself. So basically I am never going to be happy.
Why not?

You could probably have gotten 100:1 odds against Yale winning a national title in your lifetime (hard to collect on that bet) as recently as 7 years ago.

Anybody can win. Why not us?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 04:02PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-70-215-7.myvzw.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 04:15PM

BearLover

This makes me smile.

:-)

Date: April 16, 2013 04:20PM

marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

Oh? And why is that? You're happy with the majority of Cornell fans being miserable? Or is Yale your favorite hockey team?

EDIT: does this guy ever contribute anything valuable to any discussion?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 04:28PM by BearLover.

Date: April 16, 2013 04:27PM

Trotsky
BearLover
Why not?

You could probably have gotten 100:1 odds against Yale winning a national title in your lifetime (hard to collect on that bet) as recently as 7 years ago.

Obviously we can win. But even the best team wins it all a small percentage of the time, and we're getting farther and farther from being the best, not just in the country but in our conference.

Date: April 16, 2013 04:28PM

BearLover
marty
This makes me smile.

Oh? And why is that? You're happy with the majority of Cornell fans being miserable?
Citation needed. Why do you think the majority of Cornell hockey fans are anywhere near miserable with our performance under Coach Schafer? Disappointed at times, yes; but miserable?

Yich.

Date: April 16, 2013 04:33PM

Kyle Rose
BearLover
marty
This makes me smile.

Oh? And why is that? You're happy with the majority of Cornell fans being miserable?
Citation needed. Why do you think the majority of Cornell hockey fans are anywhere near miserable with our performance under Coach Schafer? Disappointed at times, yes; but miserable?

Yich.
Oh, I just meant miserable about how we're second the Yale now and the future isn't looking any brighter.

Date: April 16, 2013 05:32PM

BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
Why not?

Obviously we can win. But even the best team wins it all a small percentage of the time, and we're getting farther and farther from being the best, not just in the country but in our conference.
Well we've beaten this to death but I think one outlier data point doesn't make a trend. With all Q is losing in the off-season we will likely finish ahead of them next year. In fact, the ECAC may see a lot of turnover in the top four next year -- other than Union and perhaps RPI I don't see any of the incumbents repeating.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 05:32PM by Trotsky.

Date: April 16, 2013 05:36PM

Trotsky
other than Union and perhaps RPI I don't see any of the incumbents repeating.
I'll take that bet: assuming Allain doesn't bolt, Yale finishes in the top 4 next season.

Date: April 16, 2013 06:05PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
I'll take that bet: assuming Allain doesn't bolt, Yale finishes in the top 4 next season.
They have to collapse eventually. (Right?)

Without a good goalie they were .500 in 2012. They were mediocre when he was hurt this season. Even if they have a good goalie in the pipeline it will most likely take some time to adapt.

They may have become a semi-permanent force, but they should still dip, especially if Agostino goes.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 06:07PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 06:35PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

Without a good goalie they were .500 in 2012. They were mediocre when he was hurt this season. Even if they have a good goalie in the pipeline it will most likely take some time to adapt.

They may have become a semi-permanent force, but they should still dip, especially if Agostino goes.
I don't know anything about either of Yale's incoming goalies, but I do know that Connor Wilson, their one returning goalie (most of the minutes when Malcolm was out were played by fellow senior Nick Maricic), was 0-3-0 with a .849 SV% and a 4.82 GAA. It seems reasonable to guess that there will be at least *some* growing pains in New Haven. OTOH, one factor to suggest that they will remain a strong team overall is that Yale blocks a *ton* of shots.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 07:11PM

BearLover
marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

Oh? And why is that? You're happy with the majority of Cornell fans being miserable? Or is Yale your favorite hockey team?

Not because the majority of fans is miserable - I am only smiling at one miserable fan. Your post(s) remind me of discussions from the era of '72. (I graduated in '74.)

When Yale won it was mixed. I was happy for them and sick for us. Not as sick as in '73 and '03 but still truly sad.

Posted by: Weder (---.austin.hp.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 07:29PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
Trotsky

Agostino said he's returning.

Date: April 17, 2013 04:30AM

marty
BearLover
marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

Not because the majority of fans is miserable - I am only smiling at one miserable fan. Your post(s) remind me of discussions from the era of '72. (I graduated in '74.)

When Yale won it was mixed. I was happy for them and sick for us. Not as sick as in '73 and '03 but still truly sad.
So you aren't in favor of rooting against one of your team's biggest rivals, but you're perfectly fine rooting for a fellow Cornell fan's misery.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 10:14AM

BearLover
Which should bring you some measure of joy.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 10:52AM

BearLover
marty
BearLover
marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

So you aren't in favor of rooting against one of your team's biggest rivals, but you're perfectly fine rooting for a fellow Cornell fan's misery.

Depends on the fan.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 01:38PM

Rename this thread, What are your expectations for keeping a college ice hockey forum alive through Slope Day?

Posted by: BearLover (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: April 17, 2013 04:51PM

Trotsky
BearLover
marty
BearLover
marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

Depends on the fan.
Considering I speak for just about every sports fan I have ever met, I don't think it really depends on the fan.

billhoward
No? How badly can you possibly miss the point? Am I one of my favorite sports team's biggest rivals?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 17, 2013 05:34PM

BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
marty
BearLover
marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

Depends on the fan.
Considering I speak for just about every sports fan I have ever met, I don't think it really depends on the fan.

billhoward
No? How badly can you possibly miss the point? Am I one of my favorite sports team's biggest rivals?

This whole thread/discussion has become ridiculous. For example, and I'm only highlighting yours because it's the most recent, you haven't met nearly all CU fans, as you should be able to see from the posts, so to say this is silly. I think everyone should just agree to quitdeadhorse and bolt.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 05:34PM

BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
marty
BearLover
marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

Depends on the fan.

billhoward
Yale isn't really one of Cornell's biggest rivals. A thorn in our side of late, sure, but Dartmouth weren't really one of our biggest rivals when they beat us what seemed like a zillion times in a row in the early aughts, and Yale aren't now either. Harvard and Clarkson are still our biggest rivals, and there are others I'd put above them based on strength on a consistent and extended basis.

Posted by: ugarte (38.96.141.---)
Date: April 18, 2013 11:58AM

BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
marty
BearLover
marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

Depends on the fan.

billhoward
Well, this is definitely the repetition of a simple point that has finally convinced me! 19th time's the charm, I guess.

Date: April 18, 2013 03:48PM

ugarte
BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
marty
BearLover
marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

Depends on the fan.

billhoward
Well, this is definitely the repetition of a simple point that has finally convinced me! 19th time's the charm, I guess.
I repeat it because I think it's as close to fact as you are going to find in sports fandom. You're telling me you think the majority of sports fans root for their team's rivals once their team is eliminated? Seriously?? I mean, it's ludicrous to think so. I don't care what the 20 people replying on this forum think; the far majority of sports fans hate their team's rivals. Do Boston fans root for the Yankees when the Red Sox are out? Do UNC fans show up to the final four when Duke is there wearing ACC shirts and cheering on the Blue Devils?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.d.usd.edu)
Date: April 18, 2013 04:06PM

BearLover
ugarte
BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
marty
BearLover
marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

Depends on the fan.

billhoward
I repeat it because I think it's as close to fact as you are going to find in sports fandom. You're telling me you think the majority of sports fans root for their team's rivals once their team is eliminated? Seriously?? I mean, it's ludicrous to think so. I don't care what the 20 people replying on this forum think; the far majority of sports fans hate their team's rivals. Do Boston fans root for the Yankees when the Red Sox are out? Do UNC fans show up to the final four when Duke is there wearing ACC shirts and cheering on the Blue Devils?

UNC fans probably would root for some other ACC team over, say, a Big 12 team, if that ACC team isn't Duke. Harvard wasn't in the championship. Yale is not our Duke.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: April 18, 2013 04:24PM

BearLover
ugarte
BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
marty
BearLover
marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

Depends on the fan.

billhoward

Let's try a new angle. What are your favorite pro sports teams?

Date: April 18, 2013 04:27PM

Dafatone
BearLover
ugarte
BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
marty
BearLover
marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

Depends on the fan.

billhoward

UNC fans probably would root for some other ACC team over, say, a Big 12 team, if that ACC team isn't Duke. Harvard wasn't in the championship. Yale is not our Duke.
Every Ivy is inherently rivals with every other Ivy. At least, that is how every Cornell Hockey fan I have ever spoken to has looked at it. Granted, basically all of these people are students, but still. Given what Yale has done to us over the past six years, I see them as the biggest rival we have right now besides Harvard. This all is only amplified by the fact that none of us had won a championship in forever, and they got to do it before us. I highly doubt UNC fans are going to root for a team that has absolutely killed them in the biggest situations for so much of recent memory. Maybe most likely they won't care at all, but they certainly (for the most part) aren't actively rooting for them. Once again, I clearly don't speak for everyone, but I know a lot of sports fans and nearly all of them think the way I do. My argument here was that I was being singled out unfairly when the majority of people share my sentiments. And most importantly, I do not see this helping Cornell, but, as has been stated, this argument has been beaten to death.

Date: April 18, 2013 04:36PM

BearLover
Dafatone
BearLover
ugarte
BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
marty
BearLover
marty
BearLover

This makes me smile.

Depends on the fan.

billhoward

Every Ivy is inherently rivals with every other Ivy. At least, that is how every Cornell Hockey fan I have ever spoken to has looked at it. Granted, basically all of these people are students, but still. Given what Yale has done to us over the past six years, I see them as the biggest rival we have right now besides Harvard. This all is only amplified by the fact that none of us had won a championship in forever, and they got to do it before us. I highly doubt UNC fans are going to root for a team that has absolutely killed them in the biggest situations for so much of recent memory. Maybe most likely they won't care at all, but they certainly (for the most part) aren't actively rooting for them. Once again, I clearly don't speak for everyone, but I know a lot of sports fans and nearly all of them think the way I do. My argument here was that I was being singled out unfairly when the majority of people share my sentiments. And most importantly, I do not see this helping Cornell, but, as has been stated, this argument has been beaten to death.

There are rivalries and then there is how we feel about SUCKS. We should be clear about that, there is a difference. Yale has pretty much had their way with us over the last 5 or 6 years so, it is definitely a rivalry.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 18, 2013 05:02PM

BearLover
Every Ivy is inherently rivals with every other Ivy. At least, that is how every Cornell Hockey fan I have ever spoken to has looked at it. Granted, basically all of these people are students, but still.
This is completely foreign to my experiences as a Cornell hockey fan. No one I have ever gone to a game with has every considered Brown, for instance, as a rival. When Princeton or Dartmouth were good for a while and were challenging us in the ECAC they never rose to the level of rival. Any more than I consider Union a rival now. They're a good team in the conference that we compete against. It's not the same. Will Yale grow into a big rival? Come back to me in ten years. If they've maintained the current level of success then maybe they will have.

Some of this is related to one's personal experience. If Yale has been at the top of the league throughout your entire experience as a Cornell hockey fan then they feel like a big rival to you in a way that a fan who mostly remembers Yale as middling to weak team through the years will not.

I think there is a lot of league loyalty in college sports. As someone else said, I can easily see a UNC fan rooting for another ACC team over a school from another conference. I see it all the time from Pac-12 fans where I live. USCHO provided ample evidence for it in college hockey.

Especially for an Ivy League fan, with our pretensions about being better than the jock schools because we don't give sholarships and have academic standards, it's easy to see why one might be happy seeing fellow conference members do well nationally. I'm not syaing you have to though.

As for pro sports, I've already told you that I rooted for the Red Sox in the '86 series though a lifelong Yankee fan. League loyalty in baseball has largely been eliminated though espeicaly since the leagues don't have much of a unique identity anymore.

Date: April 18, 2013 05:38PM

KeithK
As for pro sports, I've already told you that I rooted for the Red Sox in the '86 series though a lifelong Yankee fan. League loyalty in baseball has largely been eliminated though espeicaly since the leagues don't have much of a unique identity anymore.
The American League still has the designated hitter.

(Glad I could remind you of that. :-) )

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 18, 2013 06:23PM

Kyle Rose
KeithK

Jerk!

Date: April 19, 2013 01:16AM

KeithK
Kyle Rose
KeithK

Jerk!
Characteristic rolleyes

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 19, 2013 07:56AM

- I saw a bumper sticker being sold at Fenway Park many years back. It said "I love New York, too. It's the Yankees I hate."
- The week before the Eagles play the Cowboys, they sell t-shirts outside of Flyers and Sixers games that say "Dallas Sucks" or even "Fuck Dallas."
- I have a friend who's a Duke fan. She could never root for UNC under any circumstances. She has a t-shirt that says "My two favorite teams are Duke and whoever is playing North Carolina."
- Personally, as a Philadelphia sports fan, I could never root for the Rangers in hockey and any NFC East team in football (especially Dallas). Never gonna happen. Not if you paid me a million bucks.

THOSE are rivalries. What we have with Yale is irrelevant.

Date: April 19, 2013 08:46AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
- The week before the Eagles play the Cowboys, they sell t-shirts outside of Flyers and Sixers games that say "Dallas Sucks" or even "Fuck Dallas."
The irony here is that the same shirts and bumper stickers are ubiquitous in Washington and probably East Rutherford.

Dallas and the Yankees are special cases. They are reviled nationally, not just locally. It's not just success, or the Lakers and Celtics would be too.

The best example of a purely local rivalry I can think of in pro sports is the Cardinas and Cubs. They generate as great animosity as any other pairing, it's mutual, and nobody else cares. There are dozens of college examples, usually some permutation of U of X vs X State.

We don't have anything like that in hockey. Our arch rival is Harvard but Harvard only cares about Yale. Even were it to become Yale, same issue. Let's not even mention BU. On the other side Colgate lives to destroy us while we don't even notice their existence.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2013 08:51AM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login