Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

UConn and Hockey East

Posted by dbilmes 
UConn and Hockey East
Posted by: dbilmes (---.182.179.24.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 12, 2012 09:14PM

This is a good column in today's Hartford Courant about whether or not UConn should join Hockey East. As a Connecticut taxpayer, I think it would be a waste of money to do so. In any case, I love the comments made by a prep school coach about Quinnipiac's program.

Re: UConn and Hockey East
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2012 10:10AM

USCHO article on UConn and HE. Looks a lot closer. Here's The Boston Globe article on it. (Adam I got that link from the CHN page.:-D)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2012 10:44AM

From the Courant article: "College hockey is not a money-maker. Profits are rare. Of the 58 Division I schools — Penn State will make it 59 next year — only eight play football in a BCS league and Division I basketball. If UConn were to pull hockey off successfully, it would be in elite status. The bad news is the pro forma by Stafford Sports, which shows a current loss of $515,000 and a projected $2.2 million loss with a move to Hockey East. That includes scholarships."

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2012 01:05PM

billhoward
From the Courant article: "... Of the 58 Division I schools — Penn State will make it 59 next year — only eight play football in a BCS league and Division I basketball. If UConn were to pull hockey off successfully, it would be in elite status..."
That would make them a rarity, but I don't see why it would make them inherently "elite" in any way.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2012 05:38AM

Josh '99
billhoward
From the Courant article: "... Of the 58 Division I schools — Penn State will make it 59 next year — only eight play football in a BCS league and Division I basketball. If UConn were to pull hockey off successfully, it would be in elite status..."
That would make them a rarity, but I don't see why it would make them inherently "elite" in any way.

Losing money in college sports is in no way elite. They could use a rich alum to step up and fill the $void.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: June 20, 2012 04:44PM

Voted on today. Looks as though it's all but formally announced.

[themackreport.com]

That leaves the Alabama-Huntsville decision as the last domino standing from the whole BTHC fallout.

Edit: CHN filed this, same author: [www.collegehockeynews.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2012 04:50PM by RichH.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2012 05:52AM

RichH

[themackreport.com]

That leaves the Alabama-Huntsville decision as the last domino standing from the whole BTHC fallout.

I missing something. Alabama-Huntsville was odd man out before the whole shift and they are still out of any league. So unless something happens to prop them up are they not still a fallen domino?

Is there speculation that they will be asked to join Atlantic Hockey in UConn's spot?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2012 09:26AM

marty
RichH

[themackreport.com]

I missing something. Alabama-Huntsville was odd man out before the whole shift and they are still out of any league. So unless something happens to prop them up are they not still a fallen domino?

Is there speculation that they will be asked to join Atlantic Hockey in UConn's spot?

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2012 02:19PM

RichH
marty
RichH

[themackreport.com]

As the first article states, most think that WCHA Lite is the only conference that might take on Alabama-Huntsville. Atlantic Hockey has indicated that its members with their smaller budgets for hockey cannot afford to have a team that far outside of their conference footprint because of financial reasons. However, why Air Force is a good fit at 1,659 miles from Rochester, NY and Alabama-Huntsville is not at a distance of 889 miles from Rochester, NY makes me question the sincerity of the financial argument.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: June 21, 2012 03:43PM

Done deal beginning in the 2014-15 season. Press conference on June 29, with UConn alumnus & Hartford Whaler Todd Krygier in attendance. Home conference games will be played at the XL Center in Hartford (2 blocks from my apartment, I might add) and OOC games will be played at their dinky rink in Storrs.

[www.uconnhuskies.com]

Pretty nice splash screen at [www.uconnhuskies.com] too.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 03:45PM by RichH.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2012 04:02PM

RichH
Done deal beginning in the 2014-15 season. Press conference on June 29, with UConn alumnus & Hartford Whaler Todd Krygier in attendance. Home conference games will be played at the XL Center in Hartford (2 blocks from my apartment, I might add) and OOC games will be played at their dinky rink in Storrs.

[www.uconnhuskies.com]

Pretty nice splash screen at [www.uconnhuskies.com] too.

UConn joins an elite group of seven other schools that compete on the national level as a member of the BCS Conference in football and play college basketball and college hockey in a national elite conference. Those other schools with their future conference hockey affiliation are: Boston College (Hockey East), Michigan (Big Ten), Michigan State (Big Ten), Minnesota (Big Ten), Notre Dame (Hockey East), Ohio State (Big Ten) and Wisconsin (Big Ten).

I like how they omit Penn State from that list.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: css228 (---.29.149.69.res-cmts.mtp2.ptd.net)
Date: June 21, 2012 11:37PM

Aaron M. Griffin
RichH
marty
RichH

[themackreport.com]

As the first article states, most think that WCHA Lite is the only conference that might take on Alabama-Huntsville. Atlantic Hockey has indicated that its members with their smaller budgets for hockey cannot afford to have a team that far outside of their conference footprint because of financial reasons. However, why Air Force is a good fit at 1,659 miles from Rochester, NY and Alabama-Huntsville is not at a distance of 889 miles from Rochester, NY makes me question the sincerity of the financial argument.
Air Force probably pays their travel like the Alaska schools. Also Army probably lobbied for them.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 22, 2012 01:47AM

css228
Aaron M. Griffin
RichH
marty
RichH

[themackreport.com]

Air Force probably pays their travel like the Alaska schools. Also Army probably lobbied for them.
Also, having one far-flung team is a burden, two is worse. Contractually they almost certainly can't kick Air Force out.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 12:55PM

My local newspaper ran a poll: Did UConn make a good choice by accepting a Hockey East invitation for men's hockey?
  • 64 percent said "Yes, it's a good fit for the Huskies."
  • 12 percent said "No, it's going to be a money pit."
  • 24 percent said, "Nobody cares about college hockey."
I was actually surprised that only 24 percent gave that third answer. I guess college hockey is more popular in the Waterbury, CT area than I had thought.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2012 12:58PM by dbilmes.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: June 29, 2012 02:10PM

And the call from the loons in BC-land: "Our elite conference isn't elite enough. Having a sweetheart NBCSN TV exposure deal is the suck. Let's revolt again. 1983!!"

[www.bcinterruption.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login