Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Nieuwendyk GU/Auto'd Stick 2/27/87 vs RPI (2nd to last Cornell game)

Posted by JReed79 
Nieuwendyk GU/Auto'd Stick 2/27/87 vs RPI (2nd to last Cornell game)
Posted by: JReed79 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 01:09PM

Hello Big Red Hockey fans! I am new to this site, having only recently learned of its existence. I haven't kept up with the team as much in recent years, but used to have season tickets in the mid to late 80's and early to mid 90's before my own hockey travels made it nearly impossible to make it to games. I did get back into watching the Big Red on occasion in the late 90's and early in the new millenium. I was a roommate of the McRae twins' brother (Peter) at Sacred Heart where we played hockey (coached by former CU players Shaun Hannah and Stephane Gauvin) and some former teammates from childhood, Sam Paolini in spring/summer hockey and some winter, and Jeremey Downs for a couple seasons, so I watched those guys play as often as I could.

At the age of 7, I was lucky enough to get to attend most of the home games of the 1986-87 Big Red squad. In that season in particular, Joe Nieuwendyk cemented himself as my first ever hero. Heading into the final weekend of that season, I recall knowing that Joe had announced he would leave Cornell to join the Calgary Flames at the end of the season. It was a bittersweet feeling, for sure. To know he would not be back for his Senior year was enough to make even a casual fan's heart sink, but all the more magnified for a young kid who enjoyed little more in life than watching him play first-hand. On the other hand, it was amazing to know Joe was achieving his dream and as much as fans would have loved to have him back for one last hurrah, it was beyond evident he was too talented to have benefited from staying.

Now, a little more than 25 years after his final games at Cornell, I have decided to make my most priceless and treasured sports collectible available to someone else.

The stick I am selling is from Joe's second to last game at Cornell, a home game vs. RPI played on 2/27/87. In that game, Joe produced perhaps the greatest performance of his Cornell career. With all eyes fixated on him after his announcement he was soon to leave, Joe put the team on his back and carried them to a huge win. Joe scored a power play goal in the first, assisted the 4th Cornell goal in the 2nd, and then saved the ultimate excitement for the third. He was awarded a penalty shot midway through the period, and he scored on beautiful deke. I remember that being the loudest, longest ovation I'd ever heard at a public venue at that time. Studying up on the numbers for Cornell hockey, NO PLAYER SINCE has scored a penalty shot goal for the Big Red. CU Hockey #'s Game And to cap that wonderful night, Joe rounded out the scoring with another power play goal, for his and the team's first hat-trick of the season, and a 4 point night, in a 6-1 win over RPI.

Upon conclusion of that game, my father took me down by the Cornell locker room, where he explained to Mike Teeter, a former manager for the team, that I would like to meet Joe. I'll always remember how kind it was of Mike to allow us to do just that, and he went into the locker room, and as that door shut I could feel my heart race, because at that moment I realized I was going to meet my hero. Joe emerged all smiles and asked me if I wanted to meet the team. I was thrilled. Maybe it was the thrill of such a big win, but I remember the players were incredibly receptive to him bringing me in. It was an experience I'll never forget and one that fueled my interest in hockey even more to see how much fun the players seemed to have and how much they appreciated their fans. Joe took me over to his locker and said something to the effect of "Hey buddy, I want you to have this." He then proceeded to hand me the very stick he finished the game with! I still remember the blade was dripping from where the ice had melted off of the tape, and Joe offering to sign it, which made the moment even more special. Someone tossed him a black magic marker, and he wiped a spot clean just above the blade, and proceeded to sign the stick, "Joe Nieuwendyk #25".

The stick is a Red Titan with white lettering. It has not been altered in any way or used in any way since I received it 25 years ago - 25 of course being synonmous with Joe. The tape is still applied both top and bottom, and there is a 'Cornell 25' stamp near the top that was applied by the team. On the bottom on the back just above the blade is the following '3 Cor 25', which I am not certain about. Obviously the Cor 25 is Cornell 25 to identify it was Joe's, but the three could either have noted it was one of 3 sticks he had for use, or as my dad speculated, the pattern number. The manufacturer's date is also stamped on the shaft. I'll have to look again, but that date is hard to make out completely, though the year of it is is definitely 1986.

I'll always remember walking to the car with the stick and realizing it was about twice as tall as me. ;) I probably even tried to take it to bed with me that night, but my parents were wise enough not to let me do so. The next night, 2/28/87, in his final game, Joe delivered once again. Having been held off the scoresheet through nearly the first 40 minutes of the game, it seemed he wouldn't finish with a game quite as good as the one before. Then, he broke through with 15 seconds remaining in the second period to give Cornell a 3-1 lead. You can imagine the ovation as the period was closing at people realized there was only one more to come. As the third began, Joe wasted no time showcasing his skill. Just 6 seconds in, he won the draw and walked through everyone and fired another shot into the next for his 2nd goal of the game. On his very next shift, Joe completed his second hat-trick in as many nights and all three goals came in a span of 3:01 of game time. Fittingly all three goals were the last scored by the team that season. CU Hockey Hat Tricks

Joe enjoyed a wonderful NHL career and is a member of both the Cornell Sports Hall of Fame and the Hockey Hall of Fame. A three time Stanley Cup winner, Calder Trophy Winner, Conn Smythe Trophy Winner, Olympic Gold Medalist, two time 50 goal scorer and King Clancy Award Winner, Joe really did achieve everything in the sport of hockey that a player could aim for. He finished his brilliant Cornell career with 68 goals and 71 assists in just 73 games. That's an AVERAGE of 1.9 points per game. As previously mentioned, he is the last Cornell player to score on a penalty shot (with this stick!) and he is the ONLY Cornell forward (thanks to Robb, for the correction) ever nominated as a Hobey Baker finalist.

I am planning to list the stick for sale on eBay in the coming weeks, but wanted to afford the opportunity first to someone who might have appreciated Joe's Cornell days as much as I did. I've always considered Cornell Hockey fans to be the best and most loyal in all of college hockey, and over the years I witnessed games in at least a dozen other arenas. Even seeing Martin St. Louis break the UVM school scoring record in Vermont seemed sedated in comparison to even just a regular home game at Lynah. I will be taking a number of pictures of the Nieuwendyk stick, and I've attached a picture of Joe in his Cornell uniform with the exact (model of) stick. Anyone who would like information about it or that may have an interest, please feel free to email me and I will do my best to get back to you as quickly as possible. As the stick is likely one of a kind at this point, I will only part with it for the right price. The sentimental value coupled with the fact you will probably never see another like it surface again is reason enough for me not to just give it away. Thanks! - Jay
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 01:57PM by JReed79.

Re: Nieuwendyk GU/Auto'd Stick 2/27/87 vs RPI (2nd to last Cornell game)
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 01:22PM

Would you consider donating it to Cornell Athletics for exhibit with other memorabilia in the Hall of Fame Room?rock

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 01:29PM

Great story, except for the part about the reasons you are selling it. :(

FYI, Nieuwendyk is the only Cornell *forward* nominated for the Hobey Baker, but we've also had a defenseman (Doug Murray 2002) and 3 goalies (LeNeveu 2003, McKee 2005, and Scrivens 2010). LeNeveu and McKee even made it to the final 3.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 05:17PM by Robb.

Date: March 25, 2012 01:30PM

I prefer to sell it simply because doing so will ultimately help us raise the money that will allow my grandmother to continue to receive her care. If I am unable to get enough value out of it to make it worth selling, I will probably just give it back to Joe, directly, and let him choose what to do with it.

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 01:32PM

TimV
Would you consider donating it to Cornell Athletics for exhibit with other memorabilia in the Hall of Fame Room?rock
He pretty clearly needs to sell it, not donate it. You'll have to talk to the new owner...

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 03:50PM

JReed- would you pm me with a ballpark idea about what you would like to get for it?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 04:08PM

TimV
JReed- would you pm me with a ballpark idea about what you would like to get for it?
Do you think he knows what PM means.

Date: March 25, 2012 04:51PM

Tim, sent you a private message 25 minutes ago...

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.sub-166-248-0.myvzw.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 05:06PM

Jim Hyla
TimV
Do you think he knows what PM means.

---
Posted by: JReed79 (---.twcny.res.rr.com) [ PM ]
Date: March 25, 2012 04:51PM

Tim, sent you a private message 25 minutes ago...
---

Going out on a limb here Jim, but I'd say yes. :)

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2012 09:35PM

I hope your grandmother continues to receive the level and quality of care that she needs and deserves.

For the record, I have in my possession a stick signed by Joe. He didn't score a hat trick with it at Cornell, so it is not unique in the same sense that yours perhaps is, but I did want to put it out there that it's not exactly unique for him to have signed a stick.

Best of luck to you.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 25, 2012 09:48PM

Beeeej,

Thanks for the kind words about my Grandma! As for sticks signed by Joe, I have seen a few here and there on eBay from his NHL days. Usually they are around $200-$250. What period of his career was yours from? It seems his NHL era sticks are available from time to time, but I've never seen another auto'd stick from his Cornell days for sale, and certainly not one from the final weekend, when he delivered one of the finest weekend performances in college hockey history. Additionally, of his NHL game used sticks, if one were to surface that he scored his 50th goal with, or the stick from his 5 goal game which remains a Flames franchise record, or a stick from the Stanley Cup Finals that he scored with, it would undoubtedly command a huge premium versus a stick from an average game.

Posted by: BMac (---.demarc.cogentco.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 10:18AM

Could we at ELynah contribute some money each to buy the stick and donate it to the team?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 11:45AM

BMac
Could we at ELynah contribute some money each to buy the stick and donate it to the team?

That's a great idea.

Date: March 26, 2012 09:26PM

BMac, sent you a PM regarding your idea...

Posted by: BMac (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 10:59PM

Jay, the seller has contacted me. The price he mentioned is pretty high, so I think we'd need quite a few contributors to make it work. I will ask him to post it on this thread himself.

If people are interested, I'm happy to take PMs with potential contributions.

Date: March 27, 2012 10:22AM

BMac,

Sent you two more PM's. The second of the two is the more important one, but please give both a read, and get back to me. Thanks!

Date: March 28, 2012 12:14PM

JReed79
Beeeej,

Thanks for the kind words about my Grandma! As for sticks signed by Joe, I have seen a few here and there on eBay from his NHL days. Usually they are around $200-$250. What period of his career was yours from? It seems his NHL era sticks are available from time to time, but I've never seen another auto'd stick from his Cornell days for sale, and certainly not one from the final weekend, when he delivered one of the finest weekend performances in college hockey history. Additionally, of his NHL game used sticks, if one were to surface that he scored his 50th goal with, or the stick from his 5 goal game which remains a Flames franchise record, or a stick from the Stanley Cup Finals that he scored with, it would undoubtedly command a huge premium versus a stick from an average game.

I'd have to back-track through my records to be certain, but I'm 99% sure it was from the year Joe won the Stanley Cup with the Stars.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 29, 2012 03:26AM

Beeeej,

That's great! Was the stick given directly to you by Joe? And was it one he actually used in the Finals?

Date: March 30, 2012 10:51AM

JReed79
Beeeej,

That's great! Was the stick given directly to you by Joe? And was it one he actually used in the Finals?

I don't believe it was game-used at all. I "won" it at Lynah. IIRC, a local teenager had been struck by a car, and his family was struggling with medical bills, so Joe donated a signed stick to be silent-auctioned off during a game at Lynah. I won the bidding. It's been many years, so I don't even remember how much I paid for it; at the time, it seemed like the least I could do to help a family in need.

Though I understand you may not have much of a choice yourself at this point, that stick is not something I would ever really consider selling - and nothing personal, but if I did, I would probably try not to seem as if I believed that all other Nieuwendyk-signed sticks are for some reason inferior.

- Steve Worona

Date: March 30, 2012 11:55AM

Beeeej,

That was a great thing you and Joe did to help out the injured teen. Any stick autographed by Joe is an awesome keepsake. I wouldn't consider one "inferior" simply because it isn't valued as highly as another. It's simply a matter of rarity. The fact is there are far more sticks from Joe's NHL career than his Cornell years. It's basic supply and demand, coupled with the simple truth that game used sticks, particularly autographed ones, carry more value, and the more rare a sports collectible is, the more valuable it holds. If there were as many sticks from his Cornell years available as there are his from his NHL career, there would probably be a specific range that was relatively close from low to high.

Date: April 03, 2012 08:19AM

The stick is now listed on eBay, if anyone would like to check out the listing...even if just to see the pics I took of it, since I didn't have them at the time I posted on here. Thanks, Jay.

[www.ebay.com][/url]

Date: May 13, 2012 11:48AM

The stick is now listed on Ithaca Craigslist, for anyone who might be interested. Please reply to me through there, if you are. Thanks! Nieuwendyk Stick Craigslist

Posted by: ugarte (207.239.110.---)
Date: May 14, 2012 04:46PM

Your ebay auction reached almost $75 and you are listing it on Craigslist for over $1000. I admire your optimism.

Date: May 14, 2012 09:12PM

I ended the eBay listing early, and most bids don't come in until the very end. I had to correct a few details in the listing, and knew it wouldn't reach the reserve price I had on it, so there was no point in waiting for it to end. As this stick is 25 years old and likely the last of its kind, all that matters is the price I'm willing to part for it with. If most people don't want to what I'm after or agree on the stick's value, I have no problem with their opinion. This stick could only truly be appreciated by an avid Joe collector. But as for the asking price I have on Craigslist, I consider it common knowledge asking prices are almost always negotiable on there. I've sold more than a few things on there and the agreed upon price is always a good deal below the asking price, regardless of the item.

Date: May 14, 2012 09:14PM

"If most people don't want to PAY..."

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 15, 2012 01:52PM

JReed79
As this stick is 25 years old and likely the last of its kind, all that matters is the price I'm willing to part for it with. If most people don't want to what I'm after or agree on the stick's value, I have no problem with their opinion. This stick could only truly be appreciated by an avid Joe collector.
Jay, I hope you get the price you're looking for, but I think part of the reason you've had trouble doing so thus far is that the value the stick has to you personally is inherently greater than its value to anyone else who might potentially buy it: while you can sell the stick, you can't sell the experience of having it handed to you by Joe himself and signed right in front of you, and I think some of the stick's value to you is because of that memory.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login