Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell games VHS to DVD

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell games VHS to DVD
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 09:55AM

Somebody raised the topics of DVDs on another thread and it reminded me.

Once upon a time, when we were young and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, several of us tallied up the Cornell games we had on VHS and hatched a plan to pool them onto a set of DVDs.

It didn't happen.

What can we do to make it happen? Who would like to be in on it? Does anybody want to be Project Manager? (Great real life experience, students!!!)

Re: Cornell games VHS to DVD
Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: February 21, 2012 10:01AM

Trotsky

Once upon a time, when we were young and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, several of us tallied up the Cornell games we had on VHS and hatched a plan to pool them onto a set of DVDs.

It didn't happen.

What can we do to make it happen? Who would like to be in on it? Does anybody want to be Project Manager? (Great real life experience, students!!!)

I am still working on converting my 1980's/90's cassette tapes to mp3 files, so I can't be project manager. However, I do have some cornell games on VHS that I would be willing to send to someone. I don't know the quality, they are from the 90's and have been through 3-4 moves.

I'll find the tapes and list what I got.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 11:16AM

It is relatively painless to make a copy of a VHS tape to DVD if you just let the tape run for two and a half hours. When I transfer from DVR to DVD I typically have at least five sections - three periods and two intermissions - with as little commercial interruption as possible. This means the games normally fit on the DVD in the two hour recording mode. It also means that games are often stacked up my DVR waiting to be transferred.

If I do a simple 2.5 hour transfer from VHS the quality of the DVD will go down a bit due to recording in a 2.5 hour mode.

My DVD recorder is a Pioneer DVR 220 that functions much like a VCR. It does not do as nice a job with longer recordings (especially over 2.5 hours - it is OK at 2.5) as some of the newer machines. A quirk of the DVR 220 is that the recorded format of the DVD is not the same as a commercially produced DVD. Hence I have varying degrees of success making exact copies of its DVDs. Since I do this rarely I often have to relearn just what works best when I use the PC to make extra copies. This DVD cloning from the DVR 220 is a once or twice a year occurrence - hence the brain freeze.

I'm up for transferring all of the VHS I own but not for making multiple copies. So if someone else wants to duplicate DVDs that I make on my Pioneer, I'm in. (The DVDs in addition to being of an uncommon format are only DVD-R yet typically play fine on all three of my current DVD players.)

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2012 12:03PM

DVDs. How quaint. I've abandoned that practice, if for no other reason than the average shelf life of writable optical media being roughly that of a robust fruit fly. I've gone to all-digital archiving of stuff I want to keep. I have a Canopus ADVC110 for doing VHS capture, as it does a good job of noise reduction and doesn't crap out when there are audio breaks like all the cheaper stuff does. I also have an HD capture device for stuff off DVRs. MP4 files mean I can stick them on a USB stick or even stream to a computer, PS3, Apple TV, or whatever. IMNSHO, the way to go is have someone do digital transfers, then torrent out the files so everyone can have them. And if you still really insist on a DVD, you can just burn one from the MP4. I'd be happy to do the work for stuff I don't have and make available the stuff I do. I think the right first step is for everyone to compile a list of the games they have and on what media, then go from there.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: February 21, 2012 12:20PM

CowbellGuy
DVDs. How quaint. I've abandoned that practice, if for no other reason than the average shelf life of writable optical media being roughly that of a robust fruit fly. I've gone to all-digital archiving of stuff I want to keep. I have a Canopus ADVC110 for doing VHS capture, as it does a good job of noise reduction and doesn't crap out when there are audio breaks like all the cheaper stuff does. I also have an HD capture device for stuff off DVRs. MP4 files mean I can stick them on a USB stick or even stream to a computer, PS3, Apple TV, or whatever. IMNSHO, the way to go is have someone do digital transfers, then torrent out the files so everyone can have them. And if you still really insist on a DVD, you can just burn one from the MP4. I'd be happy to do the work for stuff I don't have and make available the stuff I do. I think the right first step is for everyone to compile a list of the games they have and on what media, then go from there.
I hope you weren't using MegaUpload.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: February 21, 2012 03:32PM

Trotsky
Great real life experience, students!!!

Would this experience come with a glowing letter of recommendation?

(Just kidding).

Date: February 21, 2012 04:26PM

jtn27
Trotsky

(Just kidding).
I've written GLORs for less, trust me.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: February 21, 2012 04:26PM

jtn27
Trotsky

(Just kidding).
Yes, literally.

(That would be something.)

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.corp.tfbnw.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 04:32PM

Ben
jtn27
Trotsky

(Just kidding).
Yes, literally.

Would it be better or worse if it's in the shape of a paper crane?

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 04:35PM

Taiyo Yuden media should outlast all of us. It's now under the umbrella label of JVC. Thirty cents a disc for single layer DVD (4.7GB) in lots of 100.

Date: February 21, 2012 04:43PM

Tom Lento
Ben
jtn27
Trotsky

(Just kidding).
Yes, literally.

Would it be better or worse if it's in the shape of a paper crane?

[www.amazon.com]

A letter of recommendation written on glow-in-the-dark paper and folded into the shape of a crane? Sounds like a sure-fire way to get a good job.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2012 06:09PM

CowbellGuy

What do you use? I've been looking for something to capture my HD games on my DVR. I've got 2 old DVRs I'm holding onto till I can unload them. I just went to whole house DVR with TW and that uses completely different DVRs. So now I've got 5 DVRs at home.nut

As an aside, next fall I'm going to ask what's the best satelite TV offer to capture college hockey games. I may add that. I don't want to get rid of TW since they do so much local sports.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2012 10:15PM

CowbellGuy
I think the right first step is for everyone to compile a list of the games they have and on what media, then go from there.

All VHS:

12/1/1991 at BC
2/15/1992 at Brown
1/15/1992 Colgate
3/13/1992 vs Clarkson (ECAC SF)
3/14/1992 vs St. Lawrence (ECAC F)
3/15/1996 vs Clarkson (ECAC SF)
3/16/1996 vs Harvard (ECAC F)
3/14/1997 vs RPI (ECAC SF)
3/15/1997 vs Clarkson (ECAC F)
1/17/1998 Colgate
2/12/1999 at Vermont
3/6/1999 Clarkson
3/11/2000 Harvard (ECAC QF Game 2)
11/24/2001 at BU
3/15/2002 vs RPI (ECAC SF)
3/16/2002 vs Harvard (ECAC F)
3/23/2002 vs Quinnipiac (NCAA 1R)
3/1/2003 at Yale
3/13/2003 RPI (ECAC QF Game 3)
3/21/2003 Brown (ECAC SF)
3/22/2003 vs Harvard (ECAC F)
3/30/2003 vs BC (NCAA QF)
4/10/2003 vs UNH (NCAA SF)
2/4/2005 at Colgate

Date: February 22, 2012 10:29AM

Jim Hyla
CowbellGuy

What do you use? I've been looking for something to capture my HD games on my DVR. I've got 2 old DVRs I'm holding onto till I can unload them. I just went to whole house DVR with TW and that uses completely different DVRs. So now I've got 5 DVRs at home.nut

As an aside, next fall I'm going to ask what's the best satelite TV offer to capture college hockey games. I may add that. I don't want to get rid of TW since they do so much local sports.

I reran a search of Time Warner DVR transfer and came up with at least one post that claimed the file format on TW DVRs is encrypted. This might be an anti-piracy "feature".

So I also am wondering what capture device you use for the DVR and whether it works with all DVRs.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 11:07AM by marty.

Date: February 22, 2012 12:05PM

I use a Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR for HD capture. I was a bit skeptical about the price, but it actually works great. The only problem I've run into so far is audio sync issues when using optical digital audio input, and that only happens when the feed changes between 5.1 and 2-channel during capture. No problems with 2-channel analog audio input. It has component video input, so there shouldn't be any copy protection issues (or at least I have yet to experience any). Only other drawback is Mac users have to buy software independently written by a Hauppauge engineer for capture, but it works well.

Bill, when you pull a DVD-R out of the closet in ten years and nothing reads it, don't come crying to me. Actually, do come crying to me so I can say I told you so. They said the same thing about 100-year shelf-lives for CD-Rs and all my early burns have been coasters for quite some time.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2012 08:15PM

Good time to remind everyone that in the University archives I have slowly been building our athletic media holdings for all sports. The long term goal is to have a huge online gallery. Hockey unfortunatly has been pretty slim despite my digging:
[rmc.library.cornell.edu]

While pretty measly compared to the 1000s of films from the football team, [rmc.library.cornell.edu] or even the lacrosse team collection, [rmc.library.cornell.edu] it is a start.

You can also find Cornell games on film or audio at our oppoents' archives, even some unlikely ones like Penn, scroll to the bottom to find the hockey listings: [www.letsgoquakers.com]

I'd very gladly add copies of anyone's digitized footage to the archives for preservation.

I also have the 92, 96, 02, and 03 ECACs on tapes if an alternate copy is needed, not sure how degraded mine are.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2012 11:44PM

Bahnstorm
You can also find Cornell games on film or audio at our oppoents' archives, even some unlikely ones like Penn, scroll to the bottom to find the hockey listings: [www.letsgoquakers.com]

While I may have known this at some point, part of me is very satisfied that we were the ones to send Penn out of D-I hockey with a Cornell win.

Date: February 23, 2012 12:08AM

RichH
Bahnstorm

While I may have known this at some point, part of me is very satisfied that we were the ones to send Penn out of D-I hockey with a Cornell win.

I like how on Penn's website there are multiple pages for basketball and football, but then baseball, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, wrestling, sprint football, volleyball, and the Penn Relays all share one page. How hard would it have been to make separate pages for each sport, even if it's just to keep things more organized?

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2012 12:21AM

jtn27
RichH
Bahnstorm

I like how on Penn's website there are multiple pages for basketball and football, but then baseball, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, wrestling, sprint football, volleyball, and the Penn Relays all share one page. How hard would it have been to make separate pages for each sport, even if it's just to keep things more organized?
Especially Penn Relays. Its the only think Franklin Field is remotely full for anymore.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2012 07:09AM

In 2001 when DVD writing was new and tricky, I burned a half-dozen DVDs and all six are readable, plus a random couple I checked from 2002. To criticize optical backup generally is a disservice to people who'd benefit from having an archive they can store out of their houses in case of fire or flood. If the data is really important (your most important 1,000 old family photos you scanned, tax records) at least that core bit of your history deserves to be on two sets of optical backup and mirrored or RAID hard drive storage.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2012 07:23AM

How's 'bout the '92 team doing "Swan Lake" with Tim Button & JoJo Starbuck?? Tutu's and all! Adorable.
Or, for those with true, raging CHOCD I have Joe Nieuwendyk's actual, autographed, 2001 NYS fishing license!
What a treasure trove!!

dribble

Trotsky
CowbellGuy
I think the right first step is for everyone to compile a list of the games they have and on what media, then go from there.

All VHS:

12/1/1991 at BC
2/15/1992 at Brown
1/15/1992 Colgate
3/13/1992 vs Clarkson (ECAC SF)
3/14/1992 vs St. Lawrence (ECAC F)
3/15/1996 vs Clarkson (ECAC SF)
3/16/1996 vs Harvard (ECAC F)
3/14/1997 vs RPI (ECAC SF)
3/15/1997 vs Clarkson (ECAC F)
1/17/1998 Colgate
2/12/1999 at Vermont
3/6/1999 Clarkson
3/11/2000 Harvard (ECAC QF Game 2)
11/24/2001 at BU
3/15/2002 vs RPI (ECAC SF)
3/16/2002 vs Harvard (ECAC F)
3/23/2002 vs Quinnipiac (NCAA 1R)
3/1/2003 at Yale
3/13/2003 RPI (ECAC QF Game 3)
3/21/2003 Brown (ECAC SF)
3/22/2003 vs Harvard (ECAC F)
3/30/2003 vs BC (NCAA QF)
4/10/2003 vs UNH (NCAA SF)
2/4/2005 at Colgate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 08:39AM by Johnny 5.

Posted by: judy (---.wsh.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 23, 2012 11:40PM

Trotsky

It didn't happen.

I'm going to have some free time coming up in a just over a month. If need be, I can compile the lists of videos & try to keep track of who's got what or something.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-12.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2012 12:15PM

CowbellGuy
I use a Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR for HD capture. I was a bit skeptical about the price, but it actually works great. The only problem I've run into so far is audio sync issues when using optical digital audio input, and that only happens when the feed changes between 5.1 and 2-channel during capture. No problems with 2-channel analog audio input. It has component video input, so there shouldn't be any copy protection issues (or at least I have yet to experience any). Only other drawback is Mac users have to buy software independently written by a Hauppauge engineer for capture, but it works well.

Bill, when you pull a DVD-R out of the closet in ten years and nothing reads it, don't come crying to me. Actually, do come crying to me so I can say I told you so. They said the same thing about 100-year shelf-lives for CD-Rs and all my early burns have been coasters for quite some time.

This looks like another option for putting video files on a hard drive. (I know it won't work appeal to Age because it works on Windows 7.) Does anyone here on elynah have a PC based DVR? Are the files easy to edit and save?

Hauppauge $99 Tuner

Date: March 08, 2012 12:42PM

marty
CowbellGuy

This looks like another option for putting video files on a hard drive. (I know it won't work appeal to Age because it works on Windows 7.) Does anyone here on elynah have a PC based DVR? Are the files easy to edit and save?

Hauppauge $99 Tuner

I'd object to cable more than Windows 7. Of course, with that thing you're running the risk of something going wrong with the cable card, Windows or the device and you're SOL since you've got one shot to capture while the event is being shown.

Posted by: judy (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 17, 2012 11:18PM

It's the offseason. This sounds like a good off season project. I don't mind compiling lists if someone can provide me with data.

Date: April 18, 2012 08:56AM

judy
It's the offseason. This sounds like a good off season project. I don't mind compiling lists if someone can provide me with data.
You have mine above. Let me know if you need other info. And thank you for working on this.

Date: April 18, 2012 10:49AM

I've been working on my workflow going from DVDs to edited MPEG-4 files and pretty much have it down. I've also done the two NCAA games from this year. The beginning of the Michigan game comes from the HQ feed from ESPN3 until the proper broadcast starts. Those games weigh in at a few GB each. Torrents seem like the way to go to get the files out, but that initial seeding will be a bit of a bitch. Anyway, I'll try to go through my archives and figure out what I have before actually doing all the digitizing or converting.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-250-204.myvzw.com)
Date: April 18, 2012 01:12PM

During one of the NCAA Regional games involving CU, ESPN showed video clips of the 1970 NCAA title game. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a video of the whole 1970 NCAA title game? Until I saw those clips last month, I didn't know ANY video existed from that tournament.

It would go well with the 1969 game that I already have..... But, 1970 would be priceless!!

-Ned Harkness

Date: April 20, 2012 08:10AM

I've started compiling a list based on what Trotsky has and what we had listed from the TV thread for this season. I'll be going back through the old threads and maybe (if I can find them) the old USCHO and CHN pages for TV listings and stuff for past seasons and see how far back I can go.

If anyone has a game on video in some format and willing to volunteer it up, let me know either back in this thread or by PM.

Spreadsheet can be viewed here

Posted by: marty (---.sub-166-248-5.myvzw.com)
Date: April 20, 2012 02:47PM

Add the@ Princeton game from Verizon FiOS?

Date: April 20, 2012 05:55PM

marty

Was that this year?

Date: April 20, 2012 07:36PM

judy
marty

Was that this year?

Jim's post

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2012 07:48PM

Today I confirmed that I am indeed a pack-rat, but at least a mostly organized one!

Attached is my list of sporting events on VCR tapes which includes hockey, NC$$ women's hoops, world cup soccer, and apparently a couple of superbowls.

Please note that these tapes have moved a lot and spent time in storage, so I cannot vouch for the quality.

I would be more than happy to send them off to anyone willing to convert them to DVD or other electronic forms. I just ask for a copy of whatever you make. I'll probably hang on to these for at least another year, but they won't be going on my next move, whenever that may be.

Attachments:
open | download - rita_videotapes_05062012.pdf (47.8 KB)
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: May 07, 2012 07:38AM

Rita
Today I confirmed that I am indeed a pack-rat, but at least a mostly organized one!

Attached is my list of sporting events on VCR tapes which includes hockey, NC$$ women's hoops, world cup soccer, and apparently a couple of superbowls.

Please note that these tapes have moved a lot and spent time in storage, so I cannot vouch for the quality.

I would be more than happy to send them off to anyone willing to convert them to DVD or other electronic forms. I just ask for a copy of whatever you make. I'll probably hang on to these for at least another year, but they won't be going on my next move, whenever that may be.

Rita, I'm probably at least as big a pack rat, certainly when it comes to CU hockey, but a lot less organized. I'm going through my stuff this summer, as I'm giving some to the CU Library. They want some of it, like programs from 1967 and 1970 championships. Anyway to get to my point here, if we don't do anything with our videos this year, don't throw yours away. I'd gladly pay to have them shipped to me. Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login