Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3 Michigan 2 post game

Posted by Swampy 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cornell 3 Michigan 2 post game
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:01AM

Wahoo! banana banana banana

Re: Cornell 3 Michigan 2 post game
Posted by: finchphil (---.dhcp.wlmn.ct.charter.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:04AM

Yahoooooooooo!!!!! Indeed!

Date: March 24, 2012 12:06AM

When was the last time two EZAC teams advanced?

Posted by: css228 (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:11AM

May have violated noise restrictions in my [neighborhood] when Craig scored.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 12:19AM by css228.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:12AM

1996: Vermont and Clarkson

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:12AM

css228
May have violated noise restrictions in my house when Craig scored.

Didn't matter here. Three-year-old was up to watch it with me.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:14AM

css228

You have noise restrictions in your house?

Date: March 24, 2012 12:15AM

I almost hit my head on the ceiling jumping up and down.

Posted by: ChipJ (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:18AM

That was a great overtime period we played. Dominated Michigan and kept the puck in the offensive end most of the time.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:18AM

css228
South London is now awake thanks to me.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:19AM

Craig is just a big time player! What a game!

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:19AM

Best comment during an intermission: After showing a couple of goals from the Cornell win over Clarkson in the 1970 NCAA final, one of the commentators observed that the Cornell jerseys looked the same as the current one. It matters.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:23AM

David Harding
Best comment during an intermission: After showing a couple of goals from the Cornell win over Clarkson in the 1970 NCAA final, one of the commentators observed that the Cornell jerseys looked the same as the current one. It matters.

A couple of goals...Lodboa.....

Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:23AM

Craig: 2 goals, 2 game winning goals, 2 goals against NCAA #1 seeds

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:25AM

And Michigan joins State. At least the weather will be nice on the links this weekend.

Moving on to analysis: Some of the most inconsistent reffing I've seen in a while. Given DeSwardt's major, why weren't the obvious hit from behind on D'Agostino and that run taken at Miller at the end of regulation called? And I'm not convinced at all that DeSwardt's hit deserved a major; indeed, Michigan seemed to embellish quite a bit. Good thing Michigan's PP sucked, and good thing our PK figured them out.

Can we just decline penalty shots? Especially in that situation, I rather would have had the two minutes. I'll assume it wasn't Jillson's birthday, or perhaps I should assume it was his birthday.

What a beautiful pass to Ryan for the goal. Just amazing. Short-HAN-ded. And what a resounding ding on McCarron's blast. That sound has officially replaced Drouin's dinger. Glad to finally be able to give that one up.

Wonderful shot of some Wisco fans going crazy right down in front after Craig's goal. They've been cheering for us since '06.

Too bad we got scored on there toward the end. We really did seem to have figured out the '97-vintage rope-a-dope. Perhaps 20 minutes of that is just too much to ask.

Date: March 24, 2012 12:29AM

Cornell started trying to kill the clock with about 10 minutes to play. I don't really like that strategy with only a one goal lead, but we won in OT so it doesn't really matter.

Posted by: Beowulf (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:34AM

Absolutely glorious. More analysis, please, especially from folks who were there. I was on an airplane home to Ithaca and so missed it entirely. Got home right before the winner.

Posted by: Greg M (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:37AM

Beowulf
Absolutely glorious. More analysis, please, especially from folks who were there. I was on an airplane home to Ithaca and so missed it entirely. Got home right before the winner.

The game is available on replay on ESPN3.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:37AM

jtn27
Cornell started trying to kill the clock with about 10 minutes to play. I don't really like that strategy with only a one goal lead, but we won in OT so it doesn't really matter.

The thing with playing that and the companion game "beat the blue" (as in blue line) you really have to get the puck over the blue line and out of your zone. We seemed to be running around a lot in our zone and no one could get a solid stick (or twig as the commentators like to say) on the puck and drive it out over the blue line.

Fortunately, this game ended the Red way and without needed another 60 min of hockey. Phew. LGR!

Posted by: dragonday92 (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:41AM

The three goals scored were beautiful pieces of hockey art.
They have to play more disciplined tomorrow and not spend so much time in the box.

Date: March 24, 2012 12:45AM

Beowulf

Wasn't there but heres a summary. Michigan came out strong and nearly had a 2-0 lead 90 seconds in. The second goal was disallowed after a timeout by Cornell. Ruled there was interference on Iles... there was clearly contact, but probably 50-50 that goal gets overturned. Prior to that Cornell looked asleep. After the TO and disallowed goal play was pretty even. Cornell got a great goal on the PP from McCarron. A laser beam from the top of the circle that beat Hundwick clean and pinged in off the post. After that there was a penalty marred 2nd period. Cornell got a shorted handed goal from Ryan on a beautiful backhand saucer pass from Collins on a 2 on 1 to open the second. We were on the kill for 9+ minutes in the second period including 2+ minutes of 5v3 but managed to survive. Michigan dominated much of the 3rd as Cornell played prevent defense. Michigan scored with about 3 minutes left after a failed clear attempt and a rebound to tie it at 2. Cornell came out strong in OT and after a Michigan chance got a nice rush going the other way. Mowrey fed a nice backhand pass to Miller who one timed it. Hundwick made a ridiculous save on the Miller chance, but Craig was there to put home the rebound for the win! Overall the Red played well except for the first 90 seconds... the disallowed goal was a huge momentum swing and without it I don't think we could have come back (was headed for Harvard v.2).

Link to replay on ESPN3: ESPN3 Replay
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 12:48AM by mikek.

Date: March 24, 2012 12:46AM

dragonday92
They have to play more disciplined tomorrow and not spend so much time in the box.

Do ya think?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:47AM

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: tretiak (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:47AM

FUCK and YES! Amazing finish to an amazing game. Aside from the first two minutes and penalties, I felt Cornell forced their game on Michigan.

Hey eLynah, WHICH TEAM IS THE WINNING TEAM?!

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:50AM

mikek
Beowulf

Wasn't there but heres a summary. Michigan came out strong and nearly had a 2-0 lead 90 seconds in. The second goal was disallowed after a timeout by Cornell. Ruled there was interference on Iles... there was clearly contact, but probably 50-50 that goal gets overturned. Prior to that Cornell looked asleep. After the TO and disallowed goal play was pretty even. Cornell got a great goal on the PP from McCarron. A laser beam from the top of the circle that beat Hundwick clean pinged in off the post. After that there was a penalty marred 2nd period. Cornell got a shorted handed goal from Ryan on a beautiful backhand saucer pass from Collins on a 2 on 1 to open the second. We were on the kill for 9+ minutes in the second period including 2+ minutes of 5v3 but managed to survive. Michigan dominated much of the 3rd as Cornell played prevent defense. Michigan scored with about 3 minutes left after a failed clear attempt and a rebound to tie it at 2. Cornell came out strong in OT and after a Michigan chance got a nice rush going the other way. Mowrey fed a nice backhand pass to Miller who one timed it. Hundwick made a ridiculous save on the Miller chance, but Craig was there to put home the rebound for the win! Overall the Red played well except for the first 90 seconds... the disallowed goal was a huge momentum swing and without it I don't think we could have come back (was headed for Harvard v.2).

Good review. Many other things happened, too, of course: Jillson's penalty shot. Iles' freak of nature post-to-post slide to make the save of the night. de Swardt's phenomenally smart crease clears (prior to him getting kicked out and setting up the major kill). Kevin Lynch of Michigan being a prick and getting a karma sandwich.

Amazing game; one for the ages.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:51AM

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned and I missed it or not, but did de Swardt get a game misconduct or a game DQ?

Date: March 24, 2012 12:52AM

Ronald '09
I'm not sure if this was already mentioned and I missed it or not, but did de Swardt get a game misconduct or a game DQ?
Consensus was just a GM. God knows what Mike will do, though. That's twice in three games.

Posted by: jkahn (107.17.239.---)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:54AM

That was awesome. Great positioning by Andy all game. Heroic efforts on the PK all night. Didn't understand how Michigan didn't get a penalty at the end of regulation - sure looked like a hit from behind into the boards. We had the neutral fans on our side, especially after the 2nd period refereeing. Lots of Wisconsin fans there - many asking if I was there in '06 and talking about how great the game was and remembering our '06 fans with fond memories. We had a much smaller contngent tonight - smallest ever I'm sure at a regional, but it was great. Got to met a few who said they read elynah but never post - so there's there more to the elynah community than it appears. Nice to have a replay go our way for a change and also an NCAA overtime go our way. LET'S GO RED.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:55AM

Swampy
dragonday92
Do ya think?
There was even better art: We scored on a two (?) pass breakaway, so we come back with a four-pass piece of art ... and don't score.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 12:55AM by billhoward.

Date: March 24, 2012 12:55AM

tretiak
Hey eLynah, WHICH TEAM IS THE WINNING TEAM?!

THIS TEAM IS THE WINNING TEAM!

Posted by: jkahn (107.17.239.---)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:56AM

Trotsky
Ronald '09
Consensus was just a GM. God knows what Mike will do, though. That's twice in three games.
A game misconduct is what was announced at the rink.

Posted by: Will (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:56AM

Box score says it was a GM. [www.collegehockeystats.net]

Date: March 24, 2012 12:59AM

Trotsky
Ronald '09
Is the benefit of De Swardt in the lineup worth the bad penalties he will undoubtedly take? I wouldn't think so, although he seemed to play well tonight aside from the penalty...which very well could have killed us.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 01:02AM

Right now we're playing with house money. Let's hope Friday's game was energizing not draining for the team.

Date: March 24, 2012 01:04AM

BearLover
Trotsky
Ronald '09
Is the benefit of De Swardt in the lineup worth the bad penalties he will undoubtedly take? I wouldn't think so, although he seemed to play well tonight aside from the penalty...which very well could have killed us.
Funny thing is, before tonight I thought de Swardt/Craig was an either/or. I guess not.

Deity on a Doughnut, I am so proud of our team tonight! :) :) :)

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 01:19AM

billhoward
Right now we're playing with house money. Let's hope Friday's game was energizing not draining for the team.
DeSwardt should be refreshed. And fortunately they didn't have too much extra time on the ice.

Date: March 24, 2012 01:22AM

If i'm having trouble getting to sleep and getting the adrenalin to return to normal levels, I can just imagine what the team is going through. Wow, especially considering what I was feeling 90 sec into the game (yeah, 2012 Harvard v.2).

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 01:25AM

ugarte
billhoward
DeSwardt should be refreshed. And fortunately they didn't have too much extra time on the ice.

And reprogrammed / DeClawed.

Date: March 24, 2012 01:42AM

marty
And reprogrammed / DeClawed.
I don't want him deClawed; we'll need those claws from time to time. He just needs to learn not to 'Arm the furniture.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 01:44AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 01:49AM

Isn't De Swardt suspended for tomorrow's game automatically?

Great game. I woke up my dog, and she's 15 years old and can't hear anything.

Was Ryan playing as a forward on the PK when he scored the shorty? If so, does he do that often? Great pass from Collins.....

Did anyone notice the HUGE turnover Gotovets made a minute or two before we won? That could easily have cost us the game. My goodness, that pass would have been picked off by a squirt.

Cornell's passing was consistently better than Michigan's throughout the game (other than the Gotovets gaffe) and the d-men did a great job of getting their sticks in passing lines all night.

The replay on DeSwardt's major was poor, I really couldn't see much. I did not see him get his hands or stick up. He's a tall kid, I had a hard time seeing why it was a major. I also thought that the call on Jillson was really soft, he basically did nothing but try to win the puck battle.

Michigan should be kicking themselves over the winning goal, Hunwick made a great initial save but the closest forward to Craig let him skate right past him. The kid either didn't see him or simply didn't move his feet, he should have been covered.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 01:50AM by RatushnyFan.

Posted by: adamw (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 02:03AM

Our article from tonight's game ...

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Date: March 24, 2012 02:07AM

Add this to the list of ridiculously close games Cornell has played in the tournament in the last decade. Is this the only one they won in OT, though?

Posted by: Robb (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 02:08AM

adamw

809 games... *headdesk*

Date: March 24, 2012 02:09AM

BearLover
Add this to the list of ridiculously close games Cornell has played in the tournament in the last decade. Is this the only one they won in OT, though?
No, a memorable regional final in '03 went to double overtime. Matt McRae made SportsCenter the next day.

Date: March 24, 2012 02:12AM

adamw

I didn't know the ILR building was now playing goalie...
College Hockey News
That didn’t deteriorate Ives’ play one bit.

Date: March 24, 2012 02:18AM

css228

It is a brick wall...

Posted by: MRN one (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 02:21AM

And how do you score a penalty shot shorthanded? Maybe you were on the penalty kill when it was awarded but penalty shot pretty much implies 1 on 1.

Date: March 24, 2012 02:39AM

css228
BearLover
No, a memorable regional final in '03 went to double overtime. Matt McRae made SportsCenter the next day.

Indeed

Date: March 24, 2012 02:42AM

Also interesting that Craig was out there with Miller and Mowrey. Definitely not a standard line for us and we weren't mid change because we just did a full change on the face-off before the goal... I guess someone knew what they were doing.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 02:55AM

Trotsky

And the final 5 minutes of the 2nd should go down in history in particular. Surviving a 5 minute major, getting a temporary reprieve on the minor, a missed penalty shot, a 5x3 SH situation? And nothing happens to the score? Epic, gut-wrenching roller-coaster of a window.

Posted by: trainbow (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 07:21AM

RatushnyFan
Michigan should be kicking themselves over the winning goal, Hunwick made a great initial save but the closest forward to Craig let him skate right past him. The kid either didn't see him or simply didn't move his feet, he should have been covered.
I think the Michigan defense was caught by surprise. The one defender got turned around (I don't think he expected the pass), so he couldn't block the initial shot. The goalie was partially screened (I think), the rebound jumped way out, the Michigan defense was not nearby, Cornell had trailed the play but not too deep and it was one-timed in. Very pretty to watch all the puck movement on replay. Everything went just right. Neither shooter fanned on their shots, they had good placement, a hard shot forced a huge rebound that came out front, and the Michigan defense hadn't clogged up any of the important lanes. Pretty goal!

Date: March 24, 2012 07:39AM

adamw

Here's the USCHO story.

Date: March 24, 2012 08:07AM

Michigan's post game press conference. Red Berenson in shock re: his comment on special teams.

Go Bleh

Posted by: Dutchman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 08:15AM

Great Win Cornell. ECAC is 2-0, The last time an ECAC team make the F4 I think was in 2003 and I think it was Cornell. Good luck today !!! You can beat Ferris. They squeezed by a badly damaged Denver team. Hope to see you in Tampa !!!! PS Great defense and goal tending.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.c3-0.nyw-ubr2.nyr-nyw.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 08:18AM

RichH
Trotsky

And the final 5 minutes of the 2nd should go down in history in particular. Surviving a 5 minute major, getting a temporary reprieve on the minor, a missed penalty shot, a 5x3 SH situation? And nothing happens to the score? Epic, gut-wrenching roller-coaster of a window.

That 5x3 kill was awesome. So good positionally it never felt like we were down two men. I'm sure I'm forgetting a moment or two, but I don't remember one particularly scary scoring chance during that PK. Kill Red Kill (which came through pretty well on the broadcast)!

Date: March 24, 2012 08:23AM

RichH
Trotsky

Gut and hand wrenching. I guess the silver lining to blowing 3rd period leads and spending lots of time in the box, is that when we do find ourselves in those situations, it is a "been there, we've done that" and they do have the ability to regroup and get their act together.

What a game.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2012 08:36AM

RatushnyFan

No, that would be true if he had been given a Game Disqualification. A Game Misconduct is ejection from the game you're currently playing. A Game Disqualification is ejection from the game you're currently playing and suspension for the next game you would be eligible to play.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2012 08:48AM

Beeeej
RatushnyFan

No, that would be true if he had been given a Game Disqualification. A Game Misconduct is ejection from the game you're currently playing. A Game Disqualification is ejection from the game you're currently playing and suspension for the next game you would be eligible to play.

And game DQs snowball, so actually your Nth DQ of the season carries a suspension for the next N games. But there's no sort of escalation for misconducts, outside of what your coach may do...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 24, 2012 08:52AM

RatushnyFan
Did anyone notice the HUGE turnover Gotovets made a minute or two before we won? That could easily have cost us the game. My goodness, that pass would have been picked off by a squirt.

The announcers called him out on it. There was also a lazy diagonal pass from behind the goal that was almost picked off in the slot, late in the third IIRC, which made me literally yell with shock. Anyone remember that one?

Date: March 24, 2012 08:55AM

Scersk '97
Can we just decline penalty shots? Especially in that situation, I rather would have had the two minutes. I'll assume it wasn't Jillson's birthday, or perhaps I should assume it was his birthday.

IINM there's always the option in college to opt for a minor penalty instead of a penalty shot. I was thinking at the time that we should have done that. (If you're shorthanded for a minor you can argue that a goal on the penalty shot (which is more likely than a PPG) effectively negates the penalty, but since a major could cost you multiple goals...)

Posted by: Nathan Chicowdy 92 (---.burlingtontelecom.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 09:00AM

It took nine years, but this felt like the karmic counterpoint to the goal reversed against UNH in Buffalo. Michigan came out flying last night just like we did against UNH. The time taken to review the goal plus the reversal took the wind out of Michigan, just like it did to our '03 team. And neither game was the same after that. To be sure, the result of each game was based on the 60+ minutes of play, but that reversal always stuck with me - as I'll bet yesterday's will with a few folks in Ann Arbor. May the curse of Buffalo be forever gone; and may this young team take it all the way - if not this year, then very soon!

Date: March 24, 2012 09:46AM

jtwcornell91
RatushnyFan

The announcers called him out on it. There was also a lazy diagonal pass from behind the goal that was almost picked off in the slot, late in the third IIRC, which made me literally yell with shock. Anyone remember that one?
That was when everybody typed WTF?! on Chat simultaneously. My daughter, who would be unfazed by a nuclear strike, knocked at the door to see if I had hurt myself.

Both teams had many, many chances to capitalize.

Date: March 24, 2012 10:24AM

Reading this thread, I have to disagree with a lot of what I've read here.

1) Michigan passed much better than we did. As far as I can tell, we completed three passes all game. Fortunately, two resulted in goals.

2) Michigan had LOTS of opportunities to score on the extended powerplays, including the 5x3 opportunities. Iles made a lot of good to great saves and the team, frankly, got a little lucky. I can think of four separate times a Wolverine got the puck on the extended goal line to Iles' right and was able to walk the puck right to the doorstep.

3) Our even-strength defense was a little insane. When Michigan was putting on pressure in our zone, we were still electing to make dainty passes and skate the puck out of the zone and kept giving the puck back to Michigan. At least one of their goals was scored off of a bad pass like this.

But stringing those three comments together may make you think we played a *bad* game and I don't think that's true. The team *did* play a lot of very good positional defense and cashed in its opportunities. I think we played a very good game against a better team and were able to survive despite their advantages. And I couldn't be more pleased (pending tonight's results).

Date: March 24, 2012 10:26AM

mikek
css228

It is a brick wall...
At least Iles played like one so its kind of accurate. Though I'd say Ives is more like a prison.

Date: March 24, 2012 10:40AM

After a choppy start, I thought our breakout passing was pretty good.......have to disagree completely that Michigan passed better. We were the slower team but we passed better.

Date: March 24, 2012 10:57AM

Terrific piece in the Michigan Daily:

The midnight gesture of Shawn Hunwick

Date: March 24, 2012 11:05AM

RichH

Great piece.

Date: March 24, 2012 11:36AM

Really nice gesture. He's a great story as a walk-on. He's had a great attitude for 5 years and it's nice that they documented this moment.

Date: March 24, 2012 11:42AM

RichH

Plus 1 for the post and plus two for article and plus 3 for Hunwick.

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.applwi.dedicated.static.tds.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 11:46AM

Anybody find a good writeup/preview on Ferris State?

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 11:51AM

Shawn Hunwick will be successful in anything he chooses to do. Pure, pure class.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-97-35-143.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 11:53AM

Willy '06

The UMich fan blog was kind enough to prepare one for us. :-)

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.applwi.dedicated.static.tds.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 11:56AM

JasonN95
Willy '06

The UMich fan blog was kind enough to prepare one for us. :-)

Here it is: [mgoblog.com]

Date: March 24, 2012 12:08PM

Some good links here:

An article about Schafer calling timeout

Pregame interviews

Schafer's postgame comments

Cornell players' interviews
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 12:21PM by Swampy.

Date: March 24, 2012 12:11PM

Does anyone know if there are highlights from the game online anywhere? I'd like to see Craig's game winner again. I thought they were supposed to be on ESPN3 but I couldn't find it.

Date: March 24, 2012 12:18PM

jtn27
Does anyone know if there are highlights from the game online anywhere? I'd like to see Craig's game winner again. I thought they were supposed to be on ESPN3 but I couldn't find it.

Never mind. It's on the Michigan athletic site. [www.mgoblue.com]

Date: March 24, 2012 12:31PM

jtn27
jtn27

Never mind. It's on the Michigan athletic site. [www.mgoblue.com]

That is a heckuva backhand pass by Mowrey to Miller to set it all up.

Date: March 24, 2012 12:41PM

Swampy
Some good links here
Thank you for posting those.

Posted by: adamw (---.cst.lightpath.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:42PM

Willy '06

Recent articles on Ferris State ...

Date: March 24, 2012 12:47PM

We are 3-1 lifetime in NCAA games against teams with dogs in their logo.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 12:48PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: judy (---.wsh.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 12:48PM

RichH
Trotsky

After that was when I figured I'd had enough to drink. Alcohol + gut-wrenching rollercoaster had a queasy, "i want to throw up effect" on me.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 02:18PM

Trotsky
RichH

Great piece.
As a former Cornell Sun sports editor, it pains me to say this. But the quality of the sportswriting in the Michigan Daily when it came to their coverage of the Cornell-Michigan game was far superior to any sportswriting I've seen in the Sun for many years. In addition, it's written on deadline. I just went to the Sun website now, and they still have the game preview up, but nothing about the game itself. The Michigan Daily website, by contrast, had several well-written stories posted online when I checked at 9 a.m. today. We may have won the Cornell-Michigan hockey game, but we got trounced in the college newspaper sportswriting competition.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 02:20PM by dbilmes.

Posted by: adamw (---.cst.lightpath.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 02:21PM

dbilmes
Trotsky
RichH

Great piece.
As a former Cornell Sun sports editor, it pains me to say this. But the quality of the sportswriting in the Michigan Daily when it came to their coverage of the Cornell-Michigan game was far superior to any sportswriting I've seen in the Sun for many years. In addition, it's written on deadline. I just went to the Sun website now, and they still have the game preview up, but nothing about the game itself. We may have won the Cornell-Michigan hockey game, but we got trounced in the college newspaper sportswriting competition.

As someone who looks around to try to "hire" people out of various student papers, I can say unequivocally that Michigan Daily writers are the only ones that, every year, are consistently outstanding. And this year's crew, even moreso, if that's possible. Cornell Sun, it varies year to year - although one of our rock stars, Avash, is a Cornell Sun alum. BU and Harvard are the other places to find top notch hockey coverage, typically. We've had some success at times at Princeton and North Dakota.

Date: March 24, 2012 03:09PM

Deadspin's got the video of Rodger Craig's goal. Amazing passing Craig -> Mowrey -> Miller, Craig on the rebound. I can't stop watching it.

[deadspin.com]

I recommend that you click the HD button.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 03:10PM by ugarte.

Date: March 24, 2012 03:49PM

ugarte
Deadspin's got the video of Rodger Craig's goal. Amazing passing Craig -> Mowrey -> Miller, Craig on the rebound. I can't stop watching it.

[deadspin.com]

I recommend that you click the HD button.

Scersk is right...the row of people in Wisconsin jerseys in the front row (visible on the reverse angle of the celebration) are going crazy.

"And Cornell wins a hockey game!" isn't quite "Do you believe in miracles?" but it's nice to hear the genuine excitement from the call. I think it's the same guy who had the call for Barlow's GWG vs. Northeastern:

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2012 04:15PM

Darn Hunwick making it harder for me to hate the Maize and Blue of the hockey variety.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 05:21PM

Scersk '97
Darn Hunwick making it harder for me to hate the Maize and Blue of the hockey variety.

Think of it this way. He was a walk-on, right? So that means he's not typical. Or to put it a different way, I'd like to think the reason he wasn't recruited by Berenson is because he was a good person, and Red only recruits scum.

Does that help?

Date: March 24, 2012 05:37PM

Scersk '97

He's graduating. You can go back to hating Michigan in a few months once they no longer have a redeeming player.

Date: March 24, 2012 07:04PM

Not to stir up any controversy, but according to Mark Anbinder, De Swardt probably shouldn't have gotten a game misconduct for his hit.
Mark Anbinder
Clear in the photo: De Swardt hit was to Serville's chest/shoulder, not head. #letsgored #NCAAhockey

I asked him if he posted that photo online anywhere. If he responds, I'll post the link here.

Date: March 24, 2012 07:08PM

jtn27
Not to stir up any controversy, but according to Mark Anbinder, De Swardt probably shouldn't have gotten a game misconduct for his hit.
Mark Anbinder
Clear in the photo: De Swardt hit was to Serville's chest/shoulder, not head. #letsgored #NCAAhockey

I asked him if he posted that photo online anywhere. If he responds, I'll post the link here.

De Swardt penalty: [www.flickr.com]

He's got a bunch of other great photos too: [www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2012 07:09PM by jtn27.

Date: March 24, 2012 07:34PM

RichH

"And Cornell wins a hockey game!" isn't quite "Do you believe in miracles?"
I laughed out loud when I heard this on the replay. It's as if we were the Columbia football team.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2012 07:46PM

dbilmes
Trotsky
RichH

Great piece.
As a former Cornell Sun sports editor, it pains me to say this. But the quality of the sportswriting in the Michigan Daily when it came to their coverage of the Cornell-Michigan game was far superior to any sportswriting I've seen in the Sun for many years. In addition, it's written on deadline. I just went to the Sun website now, and they still have the game preview up, but nothing about the game itself. The Michigan Daily website, by contrast, had several well-written stories posted online when I checked at 9 a.m. today. We may have won the Cornell-Michigan hockey game, but we got trounced in the college newspaper sportswriting competition.

In a partial defense of The Sun staff....it is spring break. This wouldn't have an impact on the quality of writing but it would explain why the website is not up-to-date.

Date: March 24, 2012 07:49PM

dag14
dbilmes
Trotsky
RichH

Great piece.

In a partial defense of The Sun staff....it is spring break. This wouldn't have an impact on the quality of writing but it would explain why the website is not up-to-date.

As a Sun writer, I'm going to have to turn down this defense. We don't update our website on the weekends, even during the semester. If there was no break right now the article would still not be up until Monday. Also, RichH is right. That article is a lot better than anything I've seen in the pages of the Sun (or written myself).

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2012 02:07PM

jtn27
jtn27
Mark Anbinder

De Swardt penalty: [www.flickr.com]

He's got a bunch of other great photos too: [www.flickr.com]

I think there's still a critical missing frame between the two of the hit. It sure looked on the broadcast like de Swardt made elbow-to-head contact, but I'm also in the probably-should-have-just-been-a-minor boat.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:58AM

Not sure if anyone else saw this, but apparently Yost is going to be a lot quieter in the future.

Michigan Hockey Net
Michigan vs. Cornell: Winner gets to keep the chants

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 27, 2012 12:37PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Not sure if anyone else saw this, but apparently Yost is going to be a lot quieter in the future.

Michigan Hockey Net
Michigan vs. Cornell: Winner gets to keep the chants
Hahaha. This is going on USCHo

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 27, 2012 10:24PM

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Cornell's band played Michigan State's fight song and it's been getting a decent amount of attention on various websites. I'm writing an article for The Sun about this and I'm hoping to talk to some fans who were at the game. Would anyone who was at the game be interested in talking to me for 5 minutes either tonight or tomorrow? If so, I can send you a direct message with my phone number. Thanks.

Posted by: TheMatrix (---.ccmr.cornell.edu)
Date: March 28, 2012 04:48PM

Hunwick will make his NHL debut tonight (albeit with the Blue Jackets). He seems like nothing but class so I wish him the best.
[www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 05:20PM

TheMatrix
Hunwick will make his NHL debut tonight (albeit with the Blue Jackets). He seems like nothing but class so I wish him the best.
[www.usatoday.com]
But he's sitting behind an ECAC goalie.:-D

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.mobility-up.psu.edu)
Date: March 28, 2012 05:26PM

jtn27
As was mentioned earlier in the thread, Cornell's band played Michigan State's fight song and it's been getting a decent amount of attention on various websites. I'm writing an article for The Sun about this and I'm hoping to talk to some fans who were at the game. Would anyone who was at the game be interested in talking to me for 5 minutes either tonight or tomorrow? If so, I can send you a direct message with my phone number. Thanks.

Make sure you post the link here. I want to read it but I don't always remember to check The Sun's website everyday.

2009-10 Cornell-Harvard:
11/07/2009 Ithaca 6-3
02/19/2010 Cambridge 3-0
03/12/2010 Ithaca 5-1
03/13/2010 Ithaca 3-0

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login