Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Colgate 2 Cornell 1 (Friday)

Posted by Trotsky 
Colgate 2 Cornell 1 (Friday)
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 10:05PM

That. Was awful.

Harvard beats Yale 4-3, anyway.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 10:06PM by Trotsky.

Re: Colgate 2 Cornell 1 (Friday)
Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 10:20PM

What the hell was that?

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 10:30PM

css228
What the hell was that?

Couldn't have said it better. The only period that looked at all like this year's team was the second. Speechless and disappointed

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 10:33PM

Look at it as cathartic. Hopefully they got it out of their systems. I would certainly do some work on the power play and clearing against a 2-man forecheck though.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 10:49PM

css228
What the hell was that?

Frankly, I've been thinking that since the 3rd period vs. Dartmouth. The 3rd period vs. Harvard was the most lifeless period vs. the Crimson I can remember, especially on the PP. This team needs to wake up on both sides of the puck, and soon.

Posted by: MattS (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 10:50PM

That was the worst display this season. There are a couple of players, who supposedly are leaders, who should sit for a game. PP was god awful. I can't for the life of me figure out why they treat every goalie they face as the next Sawchuk or Roy. Shoot the puck and get the rebounds. Especially on a night when nothing is working.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 10:53PM

This loss has been coming for awhile. Colgate played a really solid game, and had the far better scoring chances, although neither team had that many after the 1st period. Iles probably stole at least two additional goals in the first period to keep us in the game.

Colgate simply outworked us in every phase, and played one of the best third periods with a lead that I've seen in some time. Our "power play" tonight was abysmal, especially the last full one with four minutes left. As the commentator observed, we seemed to have virtually no open ice the entire game. Agreed that our only decent period was the second, and we simply did not do enough to put much of scare in the Raiders.

I don't know if the Freshmen have hit a bit of a wall, but it sure looks that way. Also, missing Esposito doesn't help the offense any, and I think Ferlin's play especially is suffering because of Espo's absence.

Big gut check tomorrow night.

Date: January 27, 2012 10:54PM

MattS
That was the worst display this season. There are a couple of players, who supposedly are leaders, who should sit for a game. PP was god awful. I can't for the life of me figure out why they treat every goalie they face as the next Sawchuk or Roy. Shoot the puck and get the rebounds. Especially on a night when nothing is working.
The umbrella only works if you take shots and get deflections. We have the talent to play overload, and we play overload in 5 on 5 situations, why aren't we overloading and going for weak-side one timers on the Power Play (of course playing overload means the focus is on creating players out of position which would mean even more of the "SHOOOOT" cries from the fans)

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 10:58PM

css228
MattS
The umbrella only works if you take shots and get deflections. We have the talent to play overload, and we play overload in 5 on 5 situations, why aren't we overloading and going for weak-side one timers on the Power Play (of course playing overload means the focus is on creating players out of position which would mean even more of the "SHOOOOT" cries from the fans)

We don't seem to have anyone particularly skilled in making deflections, and that is hurting the power play. It seems ages ago that Joe Devin was planted in front of the net deflecting pucks into the net. I think Collins had a few defletions last year, but I don't recall any this season.

Date: January 27, 2012 11:02PM

scoop85
css228
MattS

We don't seem to have anyone particularly skilled in making deflections, and that is hurting the power play. It seems ages ago that Joe Devin was planted in front of the net deflecting pucks into the net. I think Collins had a few defletions last year, but I don't recall any this season.
We're so much better suited to a puck possession style Power Play that actually moves defenders around than allowing teams to cover us with a Wedge +1

Posted by: Beowulf (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 11:04PM

Brutal. One shot on goal in the third period? When trailing entering it? In your own rink? Huh? For weeks I've been worried about the team's shot totals; even in victories the figure was often alarmingly low, and one sensed they were living on borrowed time (and Iles's stellar work). It spells trouble going forward.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 11:14PM

scoop85
I think Ferlin's play especially is suffering because of Espo's absence.

I've been wondering about Ferlin for the past few weeks too. In the first half it seemed he was always a threat whenever he was on the ice. I've barely noticed him lately, even before the Espo injury.

Posted by: profudge (---.dr04.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 11:18PM

Agree with the comments above. Hoping and praying that Miller's injury at end of the game is a short term thing!
Colgate out hustled us completely most of first period and and a good bit of the third.
Our passing was really out of sync!

Onward to the return match at Starr - LGR!

Date: January 27, 2012 11:19PM

Chris '03
scoop85

I've been wondering about Ferlin for the past few weeks too. In the first half it seemed he was always a threat whenever he was on the ice. I've barely noticed him lately, even before the Espo injury.

I think he's trying to do too much. Sometimes it seems to me like he tries that "one extra move" and it's just not working for him. I also wonder his conditioning right now. It seems like he's gassed after about 10-15 seconds into the shift.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2012 11:21PM

MattS
Chris '03
scoop85

I think he's trying to do too much. Sometimes it seems to me like he tries that "one extra move" and it's just not working for him. I also wonder his conditioning right now. It seems like he's gassed after about 10-15 seconds into the shift.

Hope the World Junior camp didn't take too much out emotionally/physically.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 11:32PM

All I'll say about this game is that four of us drove up from Connecticut for the game. After the first period, one of my friends said, "I drove five hours for this?" At least my post-game PMP was good.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2012 11:49PM

MattS
Chris '03
scoop85

I agree with the trying too much, but not the gassed part. Watch him closely, he often stays out longer than his linemates. But when he's got the puck, like you said, sometimes he'd do a lot better to shoot or pass earlier.

As far as the team goes, they're obviously in a slump, and have been for a few weeks. However they still have managed to win, while playing poorly. As was said earlier, we were due for this. Hopefully it will wake them up. I still like our team, even compared to Colgate. They have 9 seniors and 8 juniors, and we are 4 and 7. Look around the league. Remember when the talk was we can't keep up with Yale, where are they now? Colgate's having a nice season, but this was their first win in January, and last year was a disaster. To be in first place this year is remarkable.

But it still doesn't seem to make up for this disappointment of watching a third period like tonight.

Posted by: Johnny 5 (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 08:09AM

css228
MattS

Yes, I got hammered awhile back for suggesting the old spray-'n-pray ("Oh, yeah....that'll work!!".)
What I really meant, for the less literal in the group, was that it's tough to tip in a deflection or hammer in a rebound if nobody is taking any shots in the first place!

twak

Posted by: Redscore (---.axsne.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 09:59AM

Nothing to add...
Agree with all...
Power Play non-existent, Ferlin vanshed, No hustle, etc. etc.
Don't know what to say...

Posted by: ajh258 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2012 10:25AM

Jim Hyla
MattS
Chris '03
scoop85

I agree with the trying too much, but not the gassed part. Watch him closely, he often stays out longer than his linemates. But when he's got the puck, like you said, sometimes he'd do a lot better to shoot or pass earlier.

As far as the team goes, they're obviously in a slump, and have been for a few weeks. However they still have managed to win, while playing poorly. As was said earlier, we were due for this. Hopefully it will wake them up. I still like our team, even compared to Colgate. They have 9 seniors and 8 juniors, and we are 4 and 7. Look around the league. Remember when the talk was we can't keep up with Yale, where are they now? Colgate's having a nice season, but this was their first win in January, and last year was a disaster. To be in first place this year is remarkable.

But it still doesn't seem to make up for this disappointment of watching a third period like tonight.
I agree with Jim that they have been in a slump recently and the only reason people don't feel it is because they haven't lost before Friday. We had some great chances in the first 10 minutes of the third, but players got frustrated after not being able to score and the team crumbled from that point. According to Colgate fans, this is one of the best nights the Raiders' had in a long while, so I assume that they cannot muster the same level of intensity again at Starr (maybe wishful thinking on my end). We can still bounce back and there's nothing to recommend other than play better.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 01:25PM

Our PWR took an exepectedly large hit. Cornell is down to 17th. It is amazing how the tone of one bad night can sour the outlook of a season.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2012 02:00PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Our PWR took an exepectedly large hit. Cornell is down to 17th. It is amazing how the tone of one bad night can sour the outlook of a season.

This is why playing with the computer "what if"apps this early in the season is a form of self abuse.

Date: January 28, 2012 03:02PM

Jim Hyla
MattS
Chris '03
scoop85

It's not the length of Ferlin's shifts but the quality of them. He seems to come offthe bench and go all out for 15 seconds, then he kind of coasts for the remainder of the shirt. I think he could and would do better to temper his energy throughout the shift.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 03:10PM

marty
Aaron M. Griffin

This is why playing with the computer "what if"apps this early in the season is a form of self abuse.

Yet it's worth noting that these are enormously important games for postseason chances, if one cares about that kind of thing. Colgate is unlikely to dip below the TUC cliff, so adding in an 0-2 to our record vs. TUCs is, by definition, not a good thing.

Posted by: flyersgolf (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 28, 2012 03:59PM

Gotovets was an absolute beast against Princeton playing wing. Anyone know why he has not played for 3 games after he was one of the best performers against Princeton?

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2012 12:33PM

Ryan needs to close the gap on the shooter on the second Colgate goal, he had a red carpet right to the front of the net. He was also turned around on the first goal although I didn't see it live, just a brief replay clip. Nice goal but some youthful defensive mistakes....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login