Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC as we go into finals

Posted by Jim Hyla 
ECAC as we go into finals
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2011 07:11PM

Since one game is done, Union-Pinceton 3-3, I thought I'd start a discussion about the league so far. My starting point is what happened to the Capital District teams? Now off to chat.

Re: ECAC as we go into finals
Posted by: ajh258 (---.sub-174-252-202.myvzw.com)
Date: December 03, 2011 07:38PM

Jim Hyla
Since one game is done, Union-Pinceton 3-3, I thought I'd start a discussion about the league so far. My starting point is what happened to the Capital District teams? Now off to chat.
It's the smog from the GE plant. It gets in your head.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2011 07:48PM

Jim Hyla

I'm sure Marty and ursusminor can chime in better, but I'd say for RPI, No Polacek. York is also gone, but when you lose someone who averaged 50 points the past two seasons, you're going to be hurt. They've scored more than 1 goal in 4 of 14 games.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2011 08:29PM

They expected a lot more scoring from LaLiberte than they're getting. Seth Appert continues to apply lipstick to the pig, but past history shows they get well at some point. Usually against us.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2011 09:22PM

Schools 	Pts GP 	Conf 	All

Cornell 	13  8	6-1-1 	7-3-1
Colgate 	12  8	6-2 	11-4-1
Yale 	        8   6 	4-2 	6-4-1
Union 	        8   8	3-2-2 	7-3-5
St. Lawrence 	8   8	4-4 	5-9
Dartmouth 	7   7	3-3-1 	4-5-1
Princeton 	7   9	3-5-1 	4-7-2
Brown 	        6   6	3-3 	4-6-1
Harvard 	6   7	2-3-2 	3-3-3
Clarkson 	6   8	2-4-2 	8-6-4
Quinnipiac 	5   8	1-4-3 	8-6-3
Rensselaer 	2   6	1-5 	3-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2011 09:25PM by Jim Hyla.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2011 10:19PM

RichH
Jim Hyla

I'm sure Marty and ursusminor can chime in better, but I'd say for RPI, No Polacek. York is also gone, but when you lose someone who averaged 50 points the past two seasons, you're going to be hurt. They've scored more than 1 goal in 4 of 14 games.

I think the big zero for RPI is the lack of Polacek. The freshman class has yet to produce much offense. That said, Schroeder and Laliberte both scored for RPI tonight. They could be a second half team, but looking at this team compared to the 2010-2011 Colgate squad I just don't see the same type of turn-around happening for RPI.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 05, 2011 11:08AM

My completely unscientific opinion on where teams are relative to where they were expected to be, not so much in the standings as in quality of play:

Exceeding Expectations: Cornell, Colgate, Clarkson, Harvard

Meeting Expectations: Union, Princeton, Brown, St. Lawrence

Below Expectations: RPI, Quinnipiac, Dartmouth, Yale

The big surprise is obviously Colgate. IMHO, the biggest negative surprise is Quinnipiac. I thought RPI and especially Yale were in for a world of hurt with their losses.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 11:10AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: December 05, 2011 11:20AM

Trotsky
My completely unscientific opinion on where teams are relative to where they were expected to be, not so much in the standings as in quality of play:

Exceeding Expectations: Cornell, Colgate, Clarkson, Harvard

Meeting Expectations: Union, Princeton, Brown, St. Lawrence

Below Expectations: RPI, Quinnipiac, Dartmouth, Yale

The big surprise is obviously Colgate. IMHO, the biggest negative surprise is Quinnipiac. I thought RPI and especially Yale were in for a world of hurt with their losses.
I would drop Union down to "below expectations" and maybe bump Quinnipiac up to "meeting expectations." The Bobcats could be in either category depending on how you view it, because their offense is clicking but they simply cannot put goals in despite outshooting opponents.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 11:22AM by ajh258.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: December 05, 2011 11:44AM

ajh258
The Bobcats could be in either category depending on how you view it, because their offense is clicking but they simply cannot put goals in despite outshooting opponents.

Unfortunately that applies to us as well of late. Let's hope that the break does the offense some good.

Date: December 05, 2011 12:41PM

I've got faith that we are creating enough quality scoring chances that the goals will come. After the first few games the focus was to shore up the defense and, man, did they ever. "It's a long season and you have to trust it."

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: December 05, 2011 02:28PM

Trotsky
I've got faith that we are creating enough quality scoring chances that the goals will come. After the first few games the focus was to shore up the defense and, man, did they ever. "It's a long season and you have to trust it."

I've coached other sports but not hockey. Nonetheless, it's hard for me to imagine that Schafer didn't devote a tremendous amount of time on defense the first few weeks of the season. Now that the team's performance on defense seems under control, I'd expect more attention to offense and to linking the two. So we should start to see the scoring pick up, hopefully by Estero. Time will tell ....

Posted by: css228 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: December 05, 2011 02:42PM

Swampy
Trotsky

I've coached other sports but not hockey. Nonetheless, it's hard for me to imagine that Schafer didn't devote a tremendous amount of time on defense the first few weeks of the season. Now that the team's performance on defense seems under control, I'd expect more attention to offense and to linking the two. So we should start to see the scoring pick up, hopefully by Estero. Time will tell ....
Little worried about Estero without Andy in net.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2011 03:18PM

css228
Little worried about Estero without Andy in net.

Are we sure that he will accept the invitation to represent the United States at the 2012 World Junior Championships like he did last season? That assumes that he will be invited. He might make a different decision considering he is not in a rotation like he was last year and how Cornell really needs the pairwise boost after the losses to BU and Mercyhurst that potential wins over UMass and Maine could bring. If he does represent the United States, which is likely, and the United States gets into the medal round, that would keep Iles occupied until January 5. That is the day before the important series at CC begins. I find that potentially more unnerving.

Posted by: MotherPucker (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 05, 2011 03:40PM

Iles will not be going to World Juniors. It will be announced shortly. Team USA will take Gibson instead to give him the experience he will need next year when he should take over the reigns for Jack Campbell.

Posted by: css228 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: December 05, 2011 03:42PM

MotherPucker
Iles will not be going to World Juniors. It will be announced shortly. Team USA will take Gibson instead to give him the experience he will need next year when he should take over the reigns for Jack Campbell.
Tough news for Iles if true, but good for us.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: December 05, 2011 03:55PM

css228
MotherPucker

The roster for team USA's pre-tourney training camp will be announced at 5:30 pm (Monday 12/5) on the NHL Network, according to this post on NHL.com.

Date: December 05, 2011 04:23PM

Yes, it is being aired at 5:30. I would have enjoyed seeing Iles get another chance at WJC but USAH has other plans. Good luck to Ferlin on his chance.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: December 05, 2011 04:32PM

Is there any statistical reason other than height (which I think is an illegitimate consideration with all else being equal) that the Team USA officials choose to play Campbell over Ilese? I am somewhat disappointed if there is no other reason why Iles cannot don the Team USA jersey this season. I am proud to have Iles represent the United States even if it affects adversely Cornell's season. I know that such sentiments might not be common among the Faithful.

Date: December 05, 2011 04:59PM

It is nothing to do with size. The US programs coaches and goalie coach Joe Exter had full faith in his game. Campbell is just the Golden Boy having backstopped 3 gold medals and a bronze in a little under 2 years time in IIHF Tournies... With the WJC Gold coming under incredible pressure in an incredible atmosphere in Saskatoon.

And Gibson is currently putting up solid numbers in the OHL... so it's not as though he hasn't earned this as well. Let's just be thankful that we will have OUR goalie for some important OOC games that we need to win, and put our full support behind The Red, White and Blue when it's time in late December. The USA/canada New Years Eve matchup should be a great one.

Posted by: sockralex (170.202.22.---)
Date: December 05, 2011 05:44PM

Iles is an emergency backup (not attending camp) and Ferlin is on the roster. Ferlin will be missed but this is a great opportunity for him.

[www.nhl.com]

Date: December 05, 2011 05:54PM

The US roster will still need to be trimmed to 22 before Dec. 24th. So let's keep our fingers crossed that Ferlin is still there. If not it's another bonus for FL.

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: December 06, 2011 12:04AM

sockralex
Iles is an emergency backup (not attending camp) and Ferlin is on the roster. Ferlin will be missed but this is a great opportunity for him.

[www.nhl.com]

It's great to see two Big Red players being regarded this way. One among the country's top 3 goalies in his age group and one among the top twelve (15?) forwards in this age group.

I suppose other schools are also represented. How do we compare?

Men's hockey still has a way to go to match women's hockey on this score. Whodathunkit?wow

Date: December 06, 2011 09:20AM

sockralex

[www.nhl.com]
According to BRP, Joakim Ryan was apparently screwed out of his shot with Sweden by red tape. I wonder if Gotovets has a shot with Belarus?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2011 09:21AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: December 13, 2011 07:31AM

As good a place as any to put this USCHO article on Lowry.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: December 13, 2011 09:51AM

Excellent article -- shines quite a favorable light on Cornell hockey.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 10:08AM

scoop85
Excellent article -- shines quite a favorable light on Cornell hockey.
Note especially the part about "the legendary Big Red sweater."cheer

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 02:51PM

College Hockey Weekly midseason All-American picks. D'Agostino first team and "not the answer" second.

The ECAC tied HEA with three first team picks each and won seven to four in total. :) Surprisingly, no RPI selections. ;)

Date: December 14, 2011 05:12PM

ursusminor
College Hockey Weekly midseason All-American picks. D'Agostino first team and "not the answer" second.

The ECAC tied HEA with three first team picks each and won seven to four in total. :) Surprisingly, no RPI selections. ;)

So here's the link.:-} and the East selections.
F. - Austin Smith - Colgate (SR.)
Smith has posted a national leading 18 goals so far this season, and has led Colgate to a surprise start this year.  He is one point behind Connolly for the nation lead, with 28 points.
F. - Chris Kreider - Boston College (JR.)
Meeting expectations is sometimes seen as a disappointment, but Kreider has given Eagle fans everything they have expected this year, piling up 12 goals and 11 assists for 23 points.
F. - Spencer Abbott - Maine (SR.)
While the Black Bears have struggled at times this season, Abbott has been a force, scoring 1.53 points/game, including 10 goals and 13 assists for 23 points.
D. - Brian Dumoulin - Boston College (JR.)
Perhaps the best blue liner in Hockey East, Dumoulin has had a solid start to the season.  The Junior has 14 points to go along with a +9 rating for the Eagles.
D. - Nick D'Agostino - Cornell (JR.)
The Big Red of Cornell are sitting atop the ECAC standings, in large part to the play of blueliner D'Agostino.  The junior has 13 points, including 5 game winning goals.
G. - Paul Karpowich - Clarkson (SR.)
Karpowich has been lights out this season.  The senior leads the nation in minutes played, is second in save percentage (.938) and has five shutouts to go along with a 1.93 GAA.
F. - Brian Flynn - Maine (SR.)
Flynn has put up more impressive numbers this season, and if he and Abbott can get a bit more help from the supporting cast, Maine may be able to make a second-half surge.
F. - Kyle De Laurell - Air Force (JR.)
De Laurell has led the Falcons to a great start this season, and has put up extremely impressive numbers.  The junior has 11 goals and 11 assists for 22 points in just 14 games this season.
F. - Jeremy Welsh - Union (JR.)
Welsh is looking to lead the Dutchmen back to the top of the ECAC standings in the second half, and if he can continue scoring goals (12 in 15 games), Union will be in good hands.
D. - Danny Biega - Harvard (JR.)
Biega has the Crimson back where they feel they belong...in the hunt for an ECAC title.  Biega has 11 points in his last six games, and has 14 overall this season for Harvard.
D. - Loren Barron - Quinnipiac (JR.)
The California native has been impressive in his junior campaign for the Bobcats.  Barron has 11 points, and has an impressive +12 rating.  Barron will be key to the Bobcats' second half success.
G. - Andy Iles - Cornell (SO.)
Iles has been lights out for the Big Red this season.  The Sophomore netminder has recorded 5 shutouts in 11 starts, and has an impressive 1.62 GAA to go along with a .930 save %.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 14, 2011 08:15PM

Jim Hyla
So here's the link.:-} ]

Oops! doh

Date: December 15, 2011 08:44AM

Air Force is an East selection...

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: December 15, 2011 01:06PM

Rita
css228
MotherPucker

The roster for team USA's pre-tourney training camp will be announced at 5:30 pm (Monday 12/5) on the NHL Network, according to this post on NHL.com.
I liked this article about the selection of the US and Canadian Juniors teams. If it isn't obvious, the guy is intentionally trolling all of Canada while simultaneously sincerely criticizing aspects of Canada's selection process.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 15, 2011 03:49PM

Trotsky
Air Force is an East selection...
Presumably it's done by conference not geography. Pretty soon Notre Dame players will be easterners too.

Date: December 16, 2011 07:18AM

INCH's midseason ECAC report. Here's their first half All-ECAC team:

G- Paul Karpowich, Clarkson: Some other goalies in the league have better numbers, but Karpowich’s .938 save percentage and 1.93 goals-against average are nothing to sneeze at. No goalie in the league means more to his team’s chances for success.

D- Danny Biega, Harvard: No surprise here, Biega does everything for the Crimson and is off to another great start with 14 points in 10 games.

D- Kier Ross, Cornell: After playing as a forward and a defenseman for his first three years, Ross is wearing the ‘C’ this year on the blue line. His leadership and consistency means a lot to a very young team, even though Nick D’Agostino leads the way in scoring for Big Red defensemen.

F- Jeremy Langlois, Quinnipiac: The junior leads the Bobcats with 12 goals and 19 points through 19 games, as Quinnipiac is currently in third place, and has an impressive home-ice record of 8-1-2.

F- Austin Smith, Colgate: Not only is he the front-runner for ECAC Hockey Player of the Year honors, he’s probably the leading candidate for the Hobey Baker Award. His 18 goals leads the nation, and he’s second in all of college hockey with 28 points.

F- Jeremy Welsh, Union: The junior forward for Union isn’t slowing down after scoring 16 goals as a sophomore. He’s already got 12 this year, and leads the Dutchmen forwards in goals and points.

Posted by: ugarte (66.9.23.---)
Date: December 16, 2011 11:41AM

Jim Hyla
G- Paul Karpowich, Clarkson: Some other goalies in the league have better numbers, but Karpowich’s .938 save percentage and 1.93 goals-against average are nothing to sneeze at. No goalie in the league means more to his team’s chances for success.
"Other goalies are better but ... it's the system."

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2011 11:59AM

Jim Hyla

D- Danny Biega, Harvard: No surprise here, Biega does everything for the Crimson and is off to another great start with 14 points in 10 games.

D- Kier Ross, Cornell: After playing as a forward and a defenseman for his first three years, Ross is wearing the ‘C’ this year on the blue line. His leadership and consistency means a lot to a very young team, even though Nick D’Agostino leads the way in scoring for Big Red defensemen.

F- Jeremy Langlois, Quinnipiac: The junior leads the Bobcats with 12 goals and 19 points through 19 games, as Quinnipiac is currently in third place, and has an impressive home-ice record of 8-1-2.

F- Austin Smith, Colgate: Not only is he the front-runner for ECAC Hockey Player of the Year honors, he’s probably the leading candidate for the Hobey Baker Award. His 18 goals leads the nation, and he’s second in all of college hockey with 28 points.

F- Jeremy Welsh, Union: The junior forward for Union isn’t slowing down after scoring 16 goals as a sophomore. He’s already got 12 this year, and leads the Dutchmen forwards in goals and points.
No D'ags?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2011 12:02PM

css228
Jim Hyla

No D'ags?
He only "leads the way in scoring for Big Red defensemen." Oh...and forwards, too.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: December 22, 2011 11:06AM

MotherPucker
The US roster will still need to be trimmed to 22 before Dec. 24th. So let's keep our fingers crossed that Ferlin is still there. If not it's another bonus for FL.

And Ferlin was one of the last cuts, in the ol' bad news/good news department. 23 names on the roster, which includes Iles as the "emergency goaltender."

[www.usahockey.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login