Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Thanksgiving & Christmas hockey

Posted by billhoward 
Cornell Thanksgiving & Christmas hockey
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2011 12:31AM

Poll
What's the future for Red Hot Hockey at MSG?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
56 votes were received.
Cornell-BU every second year. Don't overload casual fans. 34

61%
Cornell-BU every year at MSG. You can't get enough. 5

9%
Don't renew. Take a couple years off, at least. 2

4%
CU-BU odd years+something else maybe Prudential even years. 15

26%

Lot of interesting discussions floating around about who to play, and where, for future Thanksgivings. The way to go is to renew Red Hot Hockey as an every other year, odd-years matchup of Cornell and BU. (Next game, November 2013.) Use Cornell-at-Columbia football, played in even years, as the other NYC event for Cornell alumni (not so much for students since it's 1-2 weeks before Thanksgiving break). If Cornell and BU play every year at MSG, it loses its appeal to the casual fan. BU has trouble coming close to filling Agganis Arena when students are in school, so they're looking for something to do Thanksgiving weekend as well as we are. I don't think the "BU has nothing to gain from Red Hot Hockey" argument stands up.

But if not BU, where's the passion when you play a UNH, Maine, Ohio State, Michigan, or Notre Dame? BC would be a possibility. (And maybe BC would be if C rhymed with screw rather than U.) Remember the rumor that our off-and-on game at the Prudential last Thanksgiving weekend (that finally wound up being the Cornell-Colgate snoozefest) was going to be a BC or somebody else real big? That's worth trying again if it's a serious opponent with a fan base. The game I'd really like to see Thanksgiving 2012 at Prudential is Cornell-Harvard.

An outdoor game played at Schoellkopf? In a small town with a small stadium when the students are gone? Recipe for financial disaster. However, a college hockey doubleheader at Yankee Stadium or the Meadowlands, that might be interesting. Outdoor hockey is a do-it-once spectacle because most fans can't see a thing and odds are 50-50 you'll freeze at the game. As for BU playing outdoors, I believe there's already a Boston outdoor hockey doubleheader the Terriers can take part in.

I hope the Florida hockey tournament in Estero stays afloat. I've been to about half of them and the last couple times the attendance has been real soft, like less than half the arena filled for the title game. It just feels as if the costs of airfore for four teams plus hotels adds up when there are, what, maybe 10,000 total tickets sold over both days. When Ohio State or Notre Dame came in plus perpetual hosts Cornell and Maine, that's a tournament. When Colgate shows up, or one of the small Michigan or Minnesota schools, there's no sense of rivalry and not many fans who travel, either.

With Cornell playing at MSG last weekend, in 7500-seat Estero in December, plus 10,000 (empty) seat Atlantic City, that's good preparation for Cornell should we make a deep run into the NCAAs.

Re: Cornell Thanksgiving & Christmas hockey
Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: November 29, 2011 01:06AM

My dream scenario would be to keep RHH at MSG every other year, add a rotating game against a non-ECAC foe at the Prudential Center in even years, throw in doubleheaders with the women's team for both, and have an outdoor game at Schoellkopf against Sucks (or, if needed, both Dartmouth and Sucks to make it financially viable) at least once. I'm not a fan of hockey in warm places, so I'd like to see a yearly holiday tournament somewhere in the Northeast.

But that's not going to happen.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2011 01:31AM

billhoward
Lot of interesting discussions floating around about who to play, and where, for future Thanksgivings. The way to go is to renew Red Hot Hockey as an every other year, odd-years matchup of Cornell and BU. (Next game, November 2013.) Use Cornell-at-Columbia football, played in even years, as the other NYC event for Cornell alumni (not so much for students since it's 1-2 weeks before Thanksgiving break). If Cornell and BU play every year at MSG, it loses its appeal to the casual fan. BU has trouble coming close to filling Agganis Arena when students are in school, so they're looking for something to do Thanksgiving weekend as well as we are. I don't think the "BU has nothing to gain from Red Hot Hockey" argument stands up.

But if not BU, where's the passion when you play a UNH, Maine, Ohio State, Michigan, or Notre Dame? BC would be a possibility. (And maybe BC would be if C rhymed with screw rather than U.) Remember the rumor that our off-and-on game at the Prudential last Thanksgiving weekend (that finally wound up being the Cornell-Colgate snoozefest) was going to be a BC or somebody else real big? That's worth trying again if it's a serious opponent with a fan base. The game I'd really like to see Thanksgiving 2012 at Prudential is Cornell-Harvard.

An outdoor game played at Schoellkopf? In a small town with a small stadium when the students are gone? Recipe for financial disaster. However, a college hockey doubleheader at Yankee Stadium or the Meadowlands, that might be interesting. Outdoor hockey is a do-it-once spectacle because most fans can't see a thing and odds are 50-50 you'll freeze at the game. As for BU playing outdoors, I believe there's already a Boston outdoor hockey doubleheader the Terriers can take part in.

I hope the Florida hockey tournament in Estero stays afloat. I've been to about half of them and the last couple times the attendance has been real soft, like less than half the arena filled for the title game. It just feels as if the costs of airfore for four teams plus hotels adds up when there are, what, maybe 10,000 total tickets sold over both days. When Ohio State or Notre Dame came in plus perpetual hosts Cornell and Maine, that's a tournament. When Colgate shows up, or one of the small Michigan or Minnesota schools, there's no sense of rivalry and not many fans who travel, either.

With Cornell playing at MSG last weekend, in 7500-seat Estero in December, plus 10,000 (empty) seat Atlantic City, that's good preparation for Cornell should we make a deep run into the NCAAs.
Outdoor game in Schoellkopf would have to be a one time thing on a weekend students are in town. Only reason I initially brought it up is that D'ags and Iles have both tweeted about wanting to do it in the past. Ultimately, if its something the players want it can't be bad for recruiting purposes. I personally think the best idea I've heard is to play at MSG over Thanksgiving every other year with the in between years at Lynah and Aggannis on a non-Holiday basis. I'd rather avoid the Prudential center if possible. If we're going to play games in major arenas it might as well be in NYC and not Newark. I'd love the idea of rotating opponents in the in between years, as long as we don't waste precious OOC games on other ECAC teams (that includes Harvard). I read that they're trying to get Michigan out here but Red Berenson wants us to pay a chartered flight for him. BC, UNH, NoDak, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Miami, Notre Dame would all be awesome. Even the chance to play someone unique, like UD or Duluth would be awesome (though probably best done as a home and home).

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2011 07:26AM

That's interesting in a good way that players like the idea of a Schoellkopf hockey spectacle. I was thinking "bemused" would be their reaction. Yes, Wisconsin would be a fine Florida Classic opponent and we have a grudge history with them but that was mostly for beating Cornell in the NCAA semifinals when Schafer was about 6. By that token Michigan should want a football rematch with us in the 1980s for beating them in the fifties and stealing one of their leather helmets. Miami, too, is a good opponent and pretty soon Penn State. We should get something going with Penn State real soon so if they ever get big and successful, they'll owe us a return favor. If we're going to almost get beaten by a Niagara or Mercyhurst, why not let Penn State fill that role. (Or in the case of Niagara, as with lax vs. Binghamton, Cornell is playing incubator to sports startups.)

Ben, the Florida Classic has drawn decently until recently and now the needle points midway between profitable and life-support. It's a big thing for the thousands of Cornell (or Ohio State or Notre Dame) fans on Florida's west coast in the Naples area. Rita, please chime in. If it drew real teams again, not Northern Lake Huron A&M, proud fill-in member of CCHA, it would probably be on TV so you don't have to go. The northeastern tourneys I think are a way to draw townies to a college rink while students are away, or to fill empty dates at college hockey meccas such as Bridgeport, Glens Falls, or Syracuse.

Three more reasons for RHH in alternating years:
-- Cornell is in full gear with this 150th birthday thing coming up and every opportunity to touch Cornellians, their hearts, and their checkbooks is important.
-- MSG eventually will want to host the NCAA hockey tournament and RHH shows NYC can draw college hockey fans.
-- [edit add:] BU needs RHH as much as we do. Maybe more: The Terriers are a better draw on the road than at home. Except BC, they aren't filling Agganis Arena. They have tens of thousands of metro New York alumni and thousands of students home for Thanksgivng. Maybe BU hopes the intensity of Cornell fans rubs off.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2011 08:12AM by billhoward.

Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: November 29, 2011 09:00AM

billhoward
Ben, the Florida Classic has drawn decently until recently and now the needle points midway between profitable and life-support. It's a big thing for the thousands of Cornell (or Ohio State or Notre Dame) fans on Florida's west coast in the Naples area. Rita, please chime in. If it drew real teams again, not Northern Lake Huron A&M, proud fill-in member of CCHA, it would probably be on TV so you don't have to go. The northeastern tourneys I think are a way to draw townies to a college rink while students are away, or to fill empty dates at college hockey meccas such as Bridgeport, Glens Falls, or Syracuse.
I'm not saying what will happen, but my personal preference is for us to play two top teams in a rink where I (and many other students) can attend. We know that good hockey can draw fans in warm places, but I would rather have us play in the Northeast. Not that it will happen.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 29, 2011 09:07AM

In 1967 when I was still too young to have heard of Cornell hockey and dinosaurs roamed the Earth, we played Waterloo and Toronto in the Nichols School Tournament (near Buffalo). In 1985 when half the team managed to get benched* for the second game, we played Concordia and McGill in Montreal (I think this was a skate company's tourny). In 1986 we played in Vancouver in a tournament sponsored by UBC (to date, our only chance to play a team from Japan).

I think the idea of going into the center of recruiting territory and "showing off the brand" is great. The purpose is obviously not the same as RHH -- this doesnt create an Event or buzz. But it might help future recruiting and there is probably a sentimentality for players from an area getting to play just once in front of all their family and friends. I think it would foster all sorts of good will in the feeder communities and just be in general A Good Thing.

It might also enable us to sneak in a couple games that don't count towards the ECAC limit.

* This, BTW, is what happens when you play a CIAU school with only half your roster.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2011 10:43AM

Another possibility for an alternate-year Thanksgiving game is Quicken Loans Arena (hate the name, but a good venue, nonetheless) in Cleveland. Ohio could provide a quality opponent (OSU, Miami, Bowling Green). In the '80s, Cornell played in a tournament at the old Richfield Coliseum halfway between Cleveland and Akron and, as I recall, the tourney drew well. OSU and Michigan are scheduled to play outdoors at Progressive Field (adjacent to the Q) on January 15 and I'm sure it will do well. Finally, please avoid the temptation to knock Cleveland -- I lived there for 25 years before returning to upstate NY. It's a great city, although its professional teams are hurting at the moment. Fans could also take in a concert by the Cleveland Orchestra and visit the Cleveland Museum of Art.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2011 11:18AM

George64
Finally, please avoid the temptation to knock Cleveland -- I lived there for 25 years before returning to upstate NY. It's a great city, although its professional teams are hurting at the moment. Fans could also take in a concert by the Cleveland Orchestra and visit the Cleveland Museum of Art.
But the Theatrical is no more!:-/

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2011 02:09PM

css228
I read that they're trying to get Michigan out here but Red Berenson wants us to pay a chartered flight for him

From where are you reading this? I cannot find anything online about it, admittedly, I just Googled it quickly. I have found that attendance during a Cornell-Michigan series at Yost in 1991 still holds records for both top weekend and top series attendance at Michigan.

Clearly, both fanbases want the two universities to play each other more often, and attendance records indicate that it would be a profitable endeavor for both universities. I do not see why a home-and-home series (a weekend series at Lynah one season and another weekend series at Yost another season) would not be amendable to both. There is money and passion from both sides. If we agree to travel to Ann Arbor, why cannot they stomach traveling to Ithaca?

If it is the airport argument that it is an inconvenience to fly into regional airports as small as that in Ithaca, then perhaps Michigan hockey should remind itself that after the 2012-13 season it will have to cope with the small airport in University Park, PA when B1G Hockey starts.

Posted by: BMac (---.demarc.cogentco.com)
Date: November 29, 2011 02:20PM

What about making it a Friday/Saturday thanksgiving tournament?

Cornell, BU, Notre Dame/Michigan, and Minnesota/Wisconsin/Denver/CC/NoDak.

Four conferences! MSG! Thanksgiving!

I don't know how well the WCHA fans would travel, but the Notre Dame/Army football game in Yankee stadium last year was sold out. I'm sure we can get a good ND crowd.

However, it remaine to be seen how amenable the Rangers are to not being in town for the long weekend.

Date: November 29, 2011 03:16PM

Aaron M. Griffin
css228
I read that they're trying to get Michigan out here but Red Berenson wants us to pay a chartered flight for him

From where are you reading this? I cannot find anything online about it, admittedly, I just Googled it quickly. I have found that attendance during a Cornell-Michigan series at Yost in 1991 still holds records for both top weekend and top series attendance at Michigan.

Clearly, both fanbases want the two universities to play each other more often, and attendance records indicate that it would be a profitable endeavor for both universities. I do not see why a home-and-home series (a weekend series at Lynah one season and another weekend series at Yost another season) would not be amendable to both. There is money and passion from both sides. If we agree to travel to Ann Arbor, why cannot they stomach traveling to Ithaca?

If it is the airport argument that it is an inconvenience to fly into regional airports as small as that in Ithaca, then perhaps Michigan hockey should remind itself that after the 2012-13 season it will have to cope with the small airport in University Park, PA when B1G Hockey starts.
Twitter post, but I'm not sure how to link each individual tweet. I guess I'll just link the twitter pageI saw it on. Also, I thought I read on ELynah last year that we are having a home and home with PSU. Is that certain? Would be great if it was, especially if it could become regular. Also on the bright side the decreased HE schedule and league reshifting should mean there are more OOC game slots that teams are looking to fill. Perhaps we can get more games against the UNHs, and Notre Dames of the world and fewer against the Niagara's (though of course we still should continue too schedule some to help out the little guys). Finally, would anyone else like to see more regular games against RIT?

Date: November 29, 2011 03:16PM

Aaron M. Griffin
css228

Twitter post, but I'm not sure how to link each individual tweet. I guess I'll just link the twitter page I saw it on. Also, I thought I read on ELynah last year that we are having a home and home with PSU. Is that certain? Would be great if it was, especially if it could become regular. Also on the bright side the decreased HE schedule and league reshifting should mean there are more OOC game slots that teams are looking to fill. Perhaps we can get more games against the UNHs, and Notre Dames of the world and fewer against the Niagara's (though of course we still should continue too schedule some to help out the little guys). Finally, would anyone else like to see more regular games against RIT?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2011 03:21PM by css228.

Posted by: Aaron M. Griffin (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: November 29, 2011 04:12PM

Thanks. I'd love to see us play Michigan but the airfare condition seems condescending on the part of the Wolverines. Perhaps I am wrong, but such conditions seem insulting and should be uncommon.

Re: Penn State. It did appear on ELynah shortly after Penn State received its gift from Pegula that will allow it to go D-I. Penn State has agreed to play RIT at the Blue Cross Arena (another regional arena that Cornell might consider using for neutral site, non-conference games, it hosts annually the Atlantic Hockey Championship tournament). It has locked in games against Wisconsin at the Kohl Center as well. Thank You Terry, a blog from Penn State hockey, has posted a more recent update about Penn State's schedule and scheduling negotiations. The blog is a good source of interesting commentary. He seems not as acquainted with common features of college hockey as some of us, but he is an avowed fan of ECAC hockey, especially RPI, Princeton, and Cornell. [thankyouterry.blogspot.com] The post states that "Joe Battista said back in March that PSU was also in discussions with UConn, Holy Cross, Army, Air Force, UAH, Princeton, Cornell and Michigan State." I would love to see a Cornell-Penn State home-and-home series at Lynah in 2012 and then the new Pegula Arena in 2013. It appears to be in the works but not finalized. However, in the spirit of full disclosure,I am biased, I am a law student at Penn State Law (graduated from Cornell in 2010). I would like to develop schedile overlap with B1G Hockey so that Cornell has a chance to play quality teams like Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin more often. I mean, those teams have to head East to play Penn State now at least twice a year.

Date: November 29, 2011 06:20PM

Aaron M. Griffin
Thanks. I'd love to see us play Michigan but the airfare condition seems condescending on the part of the Wolverines. Perhaps I am wrong, but such conditions seem insulting and should be uncommon.

Re: Penn State. It did appear on ELynah shortly after Penn State received its gift from Pegula that will allow it to go D-I. Penn State has agreed to play RIT at the Blue Cross Arena (another regional arena that Cornell might consider using for neutral site, non-conference games, it hosts annually the Atlantic Hockey Championship tournament). It has locked in games against Wisconsin at the Kohl Center as well. Thank You Terry, a blog from Penn State hockey, has posted a more recent update about Penn State's schedule and scheduling negotiations. The blog is a good source of interesting commentary. He seems not as acquainted with common features of college hockey as some of us, but he is an avowed fan of ECAC hockey, especially RPI, Princeton, and Cornell. [thankyouterry.blogspot.com] The post states that "Joe Battista said back in March that PSU was also in discussions with UConn, Holy Cross, Army, Air Force, UAH, Princeton, Cornell and Michigan State." I would love to see a Cornell-Penn State home-and-home series at Lynah in 2012 and then the new Pegula Arena in 2013. It appears to be in the works but not finalized. However, in the spirit of full disclosure,I am biased, I am a law student at Penn State Law (graduated from Cornell in 2010). I would like to develop schedile overlap with B1G Hockey so that Cornell has a chance to play quality teams like Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin more often. I mean, those teams have to head East to play Penn State now at least twice a year.
You're not the only one who finds the airfare condition insulting. I want to play them, but Red Berenson needs to realize that he's dealing with one of the few ECAC teams that good teams want to see on their schedule. I have never heard a fan of another team say, "Our schedule is great, but I wish we could have replaced Cornell with someone else." He needs to stop treating us (and quite frankly all other programs) like we're Bentley or AIC. College hockey isn't popular enough that the "big' schools (of which there aren't that many anyway) can only afford to play amongst themselves. It could lead to more programs going the way of UAH and if NCAA programs start folding, keeping your recruits from going the Major Junior route is going to be much harder. To say the least, its a short sighted policy. If Michigan holds true to it, I'd much rather try to get UD, UNO, Miami or someone like that to come out here.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2011 07:36PM

css228
Aaron M. Griffin

You're not the only one who finds the airfare condition insulting. I want to play them, but Red Berenson needs to realize that he's dealing with one of the few ECAC teams that good teams want to see on their schedule. I have never heard a fan of another team say, "Our schedule is great, but I wish we could have replaced Cornell with someone else." He needs to stop treating us (and quite frankly all other programs) like we're Bentley or AIC. College hockey isn't popular enough that the "big' schools (of which there aren't that many anyway) can only afford to play amongst themselves. It could lead to more programs going the way of UAH and if NCAA programs start folding, keeping your recruits from going the Major Junior route is going to be much harder. To say the least, its a short sighted policy. If Michigan holds true to it, I'd much rather try to get UD, UNO, Miami or someone like that to come out here.

First of all, why do we keep repeating this? Do we know it's true, or is it one of those internet rumors that just keeps on going, and going, and going...

Secondly, didn't you just treat Bentley and AIC like you're accusing UM of doing? Or doesn't Bentley and AIC belong to "all other programs"?

My point is, we all wanted to be treated well, and think we shouldn't be treated unfairly, but we all do it. Do we go to Sacred Heart or Canadian schools? Not often, we want them to come here. UM makes its money by playing there, for them to come here they want some perks (maybe, I'm still not convinced till I see documentation). That's the way things go in sports. I don't like it, but no one really cares that I don't, and I'm not going to put others down for doing what we do. They just do it on a bigger scale.

Posted by: css228 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 29, 2011 07:50PM

Jim Hyla
css228
Aaron M. Griffin

First of all, why do we keep repeating this? Do we know it's true, or is it one of those internet rumors that just keeps on going, and going, and going...

Secondly, didn't you just treat Bentley and AIC like you're accusing UM of doing? Or doesn't Bentley and AIC belong to "all other programs"?

My point is, we all wanted to be treated well, and think we shouldn't be treated unfairly, but we all do it. Do we go to Sacred Heart or Canadian schools? Not often, we want them to come here. UM makes its money by playing there, for them to come here they want some perks (maybe, I'm still not convinced till I see documentation). That's the way things go in sports. I don't like it, but no one really cares that I don't, and I'm not going to put others down for doing what we do. They just do it on a bigger scale.
Fair enough. We have played series at UAH in the past. As for the Canadian schools, I feel no obligation to play at their places because they're not NCAA programs. I do regret using those two schools as an example. However I will correct myself with a legitimate example that does not belong under all other programs, which would be the Alaska schools, since the cost structure of a trip out there is astronomical. But you are right about my hypocrisy and I thank you for pointing it out.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: November 29, 2011 08:05PM

css228
We have played series at UAH in the past.

We have?

Posted by: css228 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 29, 2011 08:25PM

Chris '03
css228
We have played series at UAH in the past.

We have?
Turns out I was wrong. Thought the 2002 series was at Huntsville. It wasn't. Misread the database. Though we did play at Providence College.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2011 02:28PM

Jim Hyla
Seriously. Some dude tweeting about something doesn't make it true.

Posted by: mountainred (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: November 30, 2011 03:37PM

Al DeFlorio
George64
Finally, please avoid the temptation to knock Cleveland -- I lived there for 25 years before returning to upstate NY. It's a great city, although its professional teams are hurting at the moment. Fans could also take in a concert by the Cleveland Orchestra and visit the Cleveland Museum of Art.
But the Theatrical is no more!:-/

Lived there for seven years, you won't hear me knocking the town -- though Al's point about the demise of the Theatrical is valid. :`-(

Posted by: cbuckser (50.13.133.---)
Date: November 30, 2011 03:53PM

Josh '99
Jim Hyla
Seriously. Some dude tweeting about something doesn't make it true.

I better chime in because I am the person to whom [url=]that tweet[/url] was directed.

I have been friends with Peter Charbonneau since first grade. He's not a bullshit artist, and I am confident that he wouldn't just make up rumors. That said, I don't know who gave him that information or how reliable it is. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the person who told Peter about the chartered-flight demand misunderstood or had faulty information about the negotiations between Cornell and Michigan. I just don't know.

In case you are wondering why Peter has heard anything about future Cornell hockey games at Madison Square Garden, I'll explain. He worked for BU Athletics for eight years, and, after he left, was an integral part of the Red Hot Hockey event planning staff in 2007, 2009, and 2011. You know the Red Hot Hockey logos? He designed those. He also is the person behind the Red Hot Hockey twitter account and facebook pages.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login