Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell-Brown Postgame

Posted by BMac 
Cornell-Brown Postgame
Posted by: BMac (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 12:53AM

Sad. My first time seeing this year's team, and our freshmen have MOVES!

We should have this game. After starting out 0-2, they gained momentum in the second and beginning of the third. Then it all fell apart.

Notes:
Great shorthanded goal

Iles had some great saves. Two of the goals in particular he was hung out to dry on: the second, where a Brown player had about a minute to decide to shoot over his shoulder, and the fourth, where our defense let the Brown play wrap around unopposed.

Ross had the first two goals, and that guy Ferlin plays hard!

All in all, a rather undisciplined showing with flashes of brilliance. I'm ok with our early-season outlook being "lots of offense but defensive lapses"- Coach always fixes the defense.

Ps where's the band?,

Re: Cornell-Brown Postgame
Posted by: Ben (158.143.162.---)
Date: November 06, 2011 01:37AM

Just to head off the teeth-gnashing...

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2011 01:01AM

Ben

That's about right. We came out of this weekend with about as many points as I expected (2-3 but 3 was more wishful thinking than anything), we just got them in the way I didn't expect. We do need to stop this trend of dropping points to Brown though.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 09:57AM

If Iles doesn't stop that leak in his top shelf we are going nowhere. He got roofed for at least 3 last night.

Posted by: cmoberg (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2011 11:01AM

While the second goal resulted from the defenses inability to clear the puck, Isles hugged the short side pipe with his lower body, but left a gaping hole from his waist up. That was a preventable goal with better body position.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 01:03PM

Who would have thought that we would score 14 goals in our first three games, including at least 4 in each game, and only have one win. In the old days, with that kind of firepower, we would be 3-0 if we were averaging nearly 5 goals per game. I guess it's a new era of Cornell hockey.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 01:05PM

dbilmes
Who would have thought that we would score 14 goals in our first three games, including at least 4 in each game, and only have one win. In the old days, with that kind of firepower, we would be 3-0 if we were averaging nearly 5 goals per game. I guess it's a new era of Cornell hockey.

Anyone in touch with Chief Albany Alum Bear? This would seem to be the team he was pining for back in the old days (of the 1990's).

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2011 03:15PM

Ben

This is fantastic. Good work.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2011 06:13PM

ugarte
dbilmes

Anyone in touch with Chief Albany Alum Bear? This would seem to be the team he was pining for back in the old days (of the 1990's).

I'll give him the message. Would love to hear a rant from him concerning RPI's lack of scoring.

Posted by: TimV (---.sub-166-248-1.myvzw.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 01:02AM

css228
That's about right. We came out of this weekend with about as many points as I expected (2-3 but 3 was more wishful thinking than anything),

Actually, it's better than expected. We got to points from Yale. Those are harder to get than the two from Brown, which will get made up. A win on the road at Yale is huge. Annnnd - it was on National TV. This is going to be a very successful team, and great fun to watch.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 08:10AM

TimV
css228
That's about right. We came out of this weekend with about as many points as I expected (2-3 but 3 was more wishful thinking than anything),

Actually, it's better than expected. We got to points from Yale. Those are harder to get than the two from Brown, which will get made up. A win on the road at Yale is huge. Annnnd - it was on National TV. This is going to be a very successful team, and great fun to watch.

I agree that the win at Yale was a very pleasant surprise, and that this is going to be a successful team that's going to be fun to watch. I think a lot of the frustration we're feeling is that we could easily be 3-0 instead of 1-2 now. I know that's bothering me some.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 07, 2011 09:27AM

It's always a good thing to win those "4 point swing" games against other contenders. There may come a day when they kick themselves for letting the Brown game slip away, but I'm sure if given the choice of the way to split they would have taken this one.

After Mercyhurst, Schafer spoke about the different decisions you make when you are protecting a third period lead. This was Lesson 2. Hopefully the lesson has now been learned. Losing is a helluva teacher.

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 01:55PM

TimV
css228

Oh I totally didn't expect to get the points from Yale, but my enthusiasm is kind of tempered because of how we followed it up. We just can't keep dropping points to teams like Brown. I know inconsistency comes with the territory of being young, but this was a tough way to come out of the weekend with only 2 points, when heading into the 3rd on Saturday we had a good shot at 4. Still if we can pull 3+ points this weekend we should be in pretty good shape after 2 weekends.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 07, 2011 02:49PM

ugarte
dbilmes

Hahaha, good call, we're finally scoring MOOOOOOORE GOOOOOOOALS!

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: November 07, 2011 03:34PM

css228
TimV
css228

Oh I totally didn't expect to get the points from Yale, but my enthusiasm is kind of tempered because of how we followed it up. We just can't keep dropping points to teams like Brown. I know inconsistency comes with the territory of being young, but this was a tough way to come out of the weekend with only 2 points, when heading into the 3rd on Saturday we had a good shot at 4. Still if we can pull 3+ points this weekend we should be in pretty good shape after 2 weekends.

I agree it was disappointing to drop that game, especially blowing a 3rd period lead for the second time in three games. I do think Brown is a team on the rise, and I also believe that we will tighten up our play as the season progresses.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-254-163.myvzw.com)
Date: November 11, 2011 11:17AM

Josh '99
ugarte
dbilmes

Hahaha, good call, we're finally scoring MOOOOOOORE GOOOOOOOALS!

In response to the goal drought at RPI, I think Ed Weaver of the Troy Record is channeling the Chief.

score

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login