Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

IJ article on next year

Posted by pfibiger 
IJ article on next year
Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2011 09:09PM

Brandon Thomas turns in a typically well thought out end-of-season look forward to next year:

[www.theithacajournal.com]|head

Re: IJ article on next year
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2011 03:01AM

Well-written. Thanks for posting it.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2011 07:23AM

Nice story on "core of returning defenders and goalies bolsters the Big Red." The impact of the incoming players was left for another day and that is the unknown and that looms larger than in recent years. Schafer has called the Class of '15 either the best or potentially the best class in his 16 years.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2011 09:00AM

billhoward
Nice story on "core of returning defenders and goalies bolsters the Big Red." The impact of the incoming players was left for another day and that is the unknown and that looms larger than in recent years. Schafer has called the Class of '15 either the best or potentially the best class in his 16 years.
The key unknown is whether they'll bring some offense to the team. This year's team, with all its struggles to score, loses its two top goal scorers who accounted for half of the team's game-winning goals.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2011 09:13AM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
The key unknown is whether they'll bring some offense to the team. This year's team, with all its struggles to score, loses its two top goal scorers who accounted for half of the team's game-winning goals.
You can never really tell until they make the leap to the next level, but based on Mike's comments and BRP's stats it looks like we have some scoring coming in (some will defer):

GP 	 G 	 A 	PTS 	PPG 	PIM
Lowry 		54	29	55	 84 	1.6	 41
Cimetta		60	24	44	 68 	1.1	 36
Ferlin 		49	24	38	 62 	1.3	 20
Dias 		62	22	34	 58 	0.9	 55
S. Miller	40	36	16	 52 	1.3	 52
McCarron 	53	17	28	 47 	0.9	105
Knisley 	68	12	27	 39 	0.6	 48
Cole 		40	17	21	 38 	1.0	 36
Ryan 		45	 2	26	 28 	0.6	 22
MacDonald 	51	 6	21	 27 	0.5	 40
Bardreau	51	10	15	 25 	0.5	 41
Hudon		22	10	10	 20 	0.9	n/a

For kicks, here are the comparable numbers for current / recent players courtesy of Heisenberg:

GP 	 G 	 A 	PTS 	PPG 	PIM
Collins		60	51	64	115 	1.9	 34
Roeszler	48	42	71	113 	2.4	 28
G. Miller	49	40	51	 91 	1.9	 56
R. Nash		55	38	45	 83 	1.5	 87
Kary		61	35	32	 67 	1.1	118
Axell		42	14	36	 50 	1.2	 53
Berk		59	 8	34	 42 	0.7	 34
P. Kennedy	26	23	18	 41 	1.6	 42
Esposito	51	15	22	 37 	0.7	 44
M. Devin	59	 8	25	 33 	0.6	 92
D'Agostino	43	 9	24	 33 	0.8 	 34
C. Moulson	60	 6	27	 33 	0.6	 66
Mihalek		50	 9	20	 29 	0.6	 26
Birch		35	 7	18	 25 	0.7	 46
J. Devin	47	 8	15	 23 	0.5	 80
Jillson		48	 5	18	 23 	0.5	  6
Nicholls	47	 4	14	 18 	0.4	107
Seymour		40	 3	 7	 10 	0.3	100

Obviously there are significant differences due to schedule length, strength of the league they are coming from, whether they are still growing etc. One thing seems pretty clear, though: PIMs are down, either in hockey in general or in Schafer's recruiting profile.
Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2011 10:05AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: pfibiger (97.101.186.---)
Date: March 25, 2011 09:19AM

What's interesting about Schafer saying that is that it seems like a couple of the highest-scoring forwards, the biggest "gets" in recruiting: Phillipe Hudon and Stevie Miller, are possibly deferring at least a year (Heisenberg still has Hudon listed as coming next year while BRP does not. Heisenberg also has Knisley deferring and Bardreau coming next year, the opposite of BRP)

Date: March 25, 2011 11:10AM

Have we lost players who deferred a year and then decided to do something else?

Date: March 25, 2011 11:29AM

billhoward
Casson Masters (Princeton), IIRC.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2011 11:52AM

Trotsky
billhoward
Casson Masters (Princeton), IIRC.

Oh, well, that's no big deal then. uhoh

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 25, 2011 01:39PM

Has anyone done a study correlating juniors performance to college performance so we could try to project? (Using such things as league strength as a variable.) Folks do this kind of thing in baseball relating minor league performance to projected major league performance, so it's certainly possible. (Baseball has more stats to work with though.)

Date: March 25, 2011 01:50PM

KeithK
Has anyone done a study correlating juniors performance to college performance so we could try to project? (Using such things as league strength as a variable.) Folks do this kind of thing in baseball relating minor league performance to projected major league performance, so it's certainly possible. (Baseball has more stats to work with though.)
I haven't seen one but I'm sure some gearhead out there is working on it. ;)

Since baseball has had a lot of work in this area the conceptual framework (e.g., what factors to consider, what constitutes good sample data) is probably well developed. Good project for an undergrad statistics student.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2011 09:59PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
Another interesting question: How often are the two top goal scorers seniors? Top three? Top four? My sense is that most players do develop over the course of their years at Cornell and become more productive.

Date: April 06, 2011 10:40AM

David Harding
Al DeFlorio
billhoward
Another interesting question: How often are the two top goal scorers seniors? Top three? Top four? My sense is that most players do develop over the course of their years at Cornell and become more productive.
Using the TBRW Report Generator I went back through the Schafer years looking at the number of Seniors among our top 5 point scorers.

0 2 (2001*, 02)
1 5 (1997, 98, 99, 2004, 05)
2 5 (1996, 2007, 08, 09, 10)
3 3 (2000, 06, 11)
4 1 (2003)
5 0

*2001 was a special year as there were no Juniors either: all top 5 were underclassmen and there were no Seniors in the top 11 scorers (the top senior was a true blast from the past: Andrew McNiven).

So this a significant loss of scoring, particularly since it is goal scoring heavy. I also researched your specific question: how many times have our top 1, 2, 3 goal scorers been Seniors?

0 10 times
1 2 (1997*, 2006)
2 3 (1996, 2010, 11)
3 1 (2000)

*In 1997, a senior was tied for first, making it more like a 0.5

As you can see, the majority of the time the leading goal scorer isn't a senior. Sometimes this is just a matter of waiting for Matt Moulson to move up through the classes. The last time we graduated the top 2 goal scorers was... last year (Gallagher and Greening) when we actually lost our #3 as well (Riley). That was a truly significant loss since those 3 were far and away the leading goal producers and yet... people stepped in this year, and will again next year.

The Thomas article quotes Collins as saying Mihalek and Axell might move up to the top lines. Those were not the names that readily sprung to mind, indicating that it's very difficult to predict what guys in supporting roles are capable of once they get put in the hot seat. I thought Espo showed some very promising flashes late in the year and in AC I thought he was probably the third best player on the ice after the Devins.

Or maybe D'Agostino can lead the team in goals from the blueline. :) (Something I don't know has been ever done, although Dan Lodboa came VERY close in 1970.)
Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 11:03AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.186.101.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2011 10:49AM

Our top two goal scorers this year combined for 29 goals, the previous year they had 14 (the top two non-seniors would have had 16 since Collins, Kennedy and Jillson all scored more goals than Roeszler last year). The top two non-senior goal scorers this year scored 15 goals (Esposito and Collins). We lost a lot of goals, but it's pretty likely some of these guys will step up like Devin and Roeszler did.

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-75-193-55.myvzw.com)
Date: April 08, 2011 01:11PM

Last year we could put out a line of five seniors and exiting players (Riley Nash) who put up nearly half the team's 107 goals. We lost more last year than this. Or maybe we're overanalyzing. This was a rebuilding year, we're losing some valuable players and people who provided teamwork and leadership, and it also sounds as if the potential of the incoming class will make Cornell even more competitive in the next couple years.

The 2010 team had the talent to make the Frozen Four and didn't. This team had the talent to make the ECAC final four and (thanks to Union's timely collapse earlier) we made it to the title game.

I continue to stand in awe of all the effort that goes into [www.tbrw.info] that makes it easy to find all that Cornell hockey trivia. Thank you, Greg.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: April 08, 2011 05:35PM

Just heard from a first hand source, Garman is seeking pro next year and will not be playing at Cornell come October. Schafer already knows and the leave is mostly due to Mike not getting enough ice time.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: April 08, 2011 06:19PM

ajh258
Just heard from a first hand source, Garman is seeking pro next year and will not be playing at Cornell come October. Schafer already knows and the leave is mostly due to Mike not getting enough ice time.
Can I PM you for details? ;-)

Date: April 08, 2011 06:57PM

Kyle Rose
ajh258
I don't really like PMs but you can e-mail me. My user name is also my net-id so feel free to contact me at ajh258@cornell.edu

Date: April 08, 2011 07:46PM

ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258
I don't really like PMs but you can e-mail me. My user name is also my net-id so feel free to contact me at ajh258@cornell.edu
Wow, I didn't realize how old that joke is now.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: April 08, 2011 09:07PM

ajh258

Too bad. A bit of a Prisoner's Dilemma. If either Garman or Iles left then the other would be the man.

A man has to do what is best for him but I would argue that a bit of internal pressure can be good. We have even seen two man rotations where both goalies have ended up with at least brief pro careers (Hayward and Eliot), not to mention both SoCal NHL color commentators.

Date: April 08, 2011 09:17PM

KeithK
ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258
Please explain?

Posted by: jkahn (---.com)
Date: April 08, 2011 10:02PM

ajh258
KeithK
ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258
Please explain?
It's a reference to a prior elf poster who would occasionally post something without naming his source and then he'd end his post with "PM me for details."

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 08, 2011 11:24PM

ajh258
KeithK
ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258
Please explain?
It didn't even occur to me that someone would not interpret my response as a joke. I am getting old. :-)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 09, 2011 06:50AM

Kyle Rose
ajh258
KeithK
ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258
Please explain?
It didn't even occur to me that someone would not interpret my response as a joke. I am getting old. :-)

Welcome to the club, Kyle.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 09, 2011 07:18AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Kyle Rose
ajh258
KeithK
ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258
Please explain?

Hey, this club's more exclusive than that. You've got to work harder to get in, right Al?dribble

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 09, 2011 08:09AM

Kyle Rose
ajh258
KeithK
ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258
Please explain?

Typical. rolleyes

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 09, 2011 08:42AM

Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82
Kyle Rose
ajh258
KeithK
ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258
Please explain?

Hey, this club's more exclusive than that. You've got to work harder to get in, right Al?dribble
And longer...

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2011 07:08PM

jtwcornell91
Kyle Rose
ajh258
KeithK
ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258
Please explain?

Typical. rolleyes

Well, Kyle *is* a jerk. ;)

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.c3-0.smr-ubr2.sbo-smr.ma.static.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 09, 2011 07:26PM

Tom Lento
jtwcornell91
Kyle Rose
ajh258
KeithK
ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258
Please explain?

Typical. rolleyes

You say that so casually. It takes a *lot* of work. :-)

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 11, 2011 12:05AM

Kyle Rose
Tom Lento
jtwcornell91
Kyle Rose
ajh258
KeithK
ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258
Please explain?

Typical. rolleyes

You say that so casually. It takes a *lot* of work. :-)

What can I say, you make it look so easy. ;)

Posted by: ajh258 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: April 12, 2011 03:01AM

Kyle Rose
ajh258

[cornellsun.com]

PM me for details.

Date: April 12, 2011 06:27AM

"Men’s hockey junior goaltender Michael Garman has decided to graduate a year early..."

Wonder what that means? Is he really getting a degree? Or is it just sloppy writing?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: April 12, 2011 07:53AM

Al DeFlorio
"Men’s hockey junior goaltender Michael Garman has decided to graduate a year early..."

Wonder what that means? Is he really getting a degree? Or is it just sloppy writing?
Riley didn't graduate, correct?

While Garman did not initially seek the advice of former Cornell forward Riley Nash, who made a similar decision last year,
So, how similar is the decision, or as Al says sloppy writing?

Date: April 12, 2011 08:46AM

Jim Hyla
Al DeFlorio

Riley didn't graduate, correct?

While Garman did not initially seek the advice of former Cornell forward Riley Nash, who made a similar decision last year,
So, how similar is the decision, or as Al says sloppy writing?
I'm guessing that "graduate" really means "leave school."

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 09:18AM

ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258

[cornellsun.com]

PM me for details.

So...we know about Iles and that he is a very competent goalie who should only get better. This will probably hurt our team slightly next season but help Andy's development overall and therefore help the team the two years after, in which Garman wouldn't have been there anyway. At least that's my opinion. Also, while it sucks to have a player leave early, I give Garman a ton of credit for making his decision and announcing it early and not waiting until late summer.

So two questions...is Omar Kanji actually competent in net? We'll probably find out in Florida, when Andy will presumably be with team USA in Calgary/Edmonton. Also, who will be the third goalie? Do we have any 2011 recruits or 2012 recruits that can come a year earlier, or does the coaching staff have to go out and find someone new now?

Date: April 12, 2011 10:10AM

Ronald '09
ajh258
Kyle Rose
ajh258

[cornellsun.com]

PM me for details.

So...we know about Iles and that he is a very competent goalie who should only get better. This will probably hurt our team slightly next season but help Andy's development overall and therefore help the team the two years after, in which Garman wouldn't have been there anyway. At least that's my opinion. Also, while it sucks to have a player leave early, I give Garman a ton of credit for making his decision and announcing it early and not waiting until late summer.

So two questions...is Omar Kanji actually competent in net? We'll probably find out in Florida, when Andy will presumably be with team USA in Calgary/Edmonton. Also, who will be the third goalie? Do we have any 2011 recruits or 2012 recruits that can come a year earlier, or does the coaching staff have to go out and find someone new now?
Does Bob Rule '71 have a son at Cornell? PM Al DeFlorio or someone of that era for details on how Cornell went 29-0 with one goalie and one lacrosse goalie.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2011 05:10PM

Ronald '09

That's 3 questions. The answers appear to be:

1. Probably only if you use an extremely liberal definition of "competent."
2. Time will tell. Possibly nobody, we've gone with 2 before.
3. There are no goalies listed among the prospects on Big Red Puckhead. I'm sure the coaching staff always has their eyes on the field. One possibility: a goalie who was not interested in attending Cornell because he would probably not get playing time next year now has something new to consider. "Piracy" is an ugly word. Let's call it "entrepreneurial proactivity."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 05:10PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: css228 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: April 12, 2011 05:20PM

Trotsky
Ronald '09
"Piracy" is an ugly word. Let's call it "entrepreneurial proactivity."
I prefer privateering

Date: April 12, 2011 06:24PM

css228
Trotsky
Ronald '09
"Piracy" is an ugly word. Let's call it "entrepreneurial proactivity."
I prefer privateering
Letters of marque FTW!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login