Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Yale Roll Call/Places to Eat and Drink 02/26/11 (and Brown 02/25/11 too)

Posted by Ronald '09 
Yale Roll Call/Places to Eat and Drink 02/26/11 (and Brown 02/25/11 too)
Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.rutgers.edu)
Date: February 24, 2011 12:33PM

I'll get this started, be there +2. Can't make it to Providence Friday unfortunately.

Where are places to get food and drinks before and after the game that people usually go? This is my first time. Are there places by the rink along the lines of Triumph and Alchemist and Barrister in Princeton? I've gone to Baker several times it seems just about everyone goes to those two places.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 07:01PM by Ronald '09.

Re: Yale Roll Call/Places to Eat and Drink 02/26/11
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2011 12:44PM

I'll be at Yale, also can't make it to Brown.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Yale Roll Call/Places to Eat and Drink 02/26/11 - Pepe's
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 01:31PM

Dozens of Cornell fans go to Pepe's (Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana), 157 Wooster Street, New Haven. Credit New Haven native Al DeFlorio for getting us to try Pepe's 5-8 years ago. Awesome pies. The signature dish is a white clam pie with bacon. Arrive early, say 4:30, and you can walk in. Arrive at 5:00-5:30, there'll be a line, and you'll just make the faceoff. They don't take reservations. It's a 5-minute drive, not a walk, to the Yale campus and Ingalls Rink.

I don't recall anything neaby within walking distance that is anything like Alchemist & Barrister is in Princeton.

I'm going +1. The game is sold out, has been for weeks, but if you simply MUST see the game, if you get there by 6:00 and even by 6:30, you'll find somebody with a spare ticket to sell. Last year it took me 20 minutes in the rain but we got two (one free on account of my son wearing a Cornell jersey); this year I figured I'm getting too old for the begging in the rain crap and called the Yale box office at the start of February.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 01:35PM by billhoward.

Re: Yale Roll Call/Places to Eat and Drink 02/26/11 - Pepe's
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2011 01:52PM

billhoward
I don't recall anything neaby within walking distance that is anything like Alchemist & Barrister is in Princeton.
I'm not up to date on New Haven eateries/pubs/beer palaces but the nearest possibilities would be on Whitney Avenue or in the Broadway area near the Yale Co-op (not Coop). Ingalls is a bit out of the way, near Yale's science buildings.

Date: February 24, 2011 04:31PM

If I may expand this thread to include Friday's game at Brown, I'll share this email from Bruno describing their efforts (right out of the Colgate playbook) to get students to the rink. Bring earplugs.

Brown Fans,

Rivalry Friday starts at 7pm tomorrow with the men's basketball team playing Harvard and the men's ice hockey team playing Cornell. We will have 200 pizzas at Meehan and another 200 pizzas at the Pizzitola for students starting at 6pm. Also at both games, one student at each game will be randomly selected to win an iPad! We will also hand out megaphones at hockey and paperclip caddies at basketball.
During the Basketball game, there will be performances by the Brown Cheerleaders and Sugar Bears. At halftime, there will be a special performance by Brown University's Divine Rhythm. At the ice hockey game, we will be raising money for the Coach's care Foundation with a Chuck-A-Puck. the winner will receive a game worn Hockey Jersey.

At the end of both games, we will be handing out coupons for Paragon that is good for 10% off your meal for Friday night only. It is going to be an exciting night and we hope to see you at the Pizzitola Center or at Mehan Auditorium!

Go Bears!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2011 04:32PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: munchkin (64.134.66.---)
Date: February 24, 2011 04:39PM

I'll be at both Brown and Yale.

Posted by: redhair34 (64.206.92.---)
Date: February 24, 2011 04:40PM

Modern Apizza is a nice option if you can't get to Pepe's early.

Posted by: dbilmes (69.183.41.---)
Date: February 24, 2011 05:02PM

I'll be at Yale plus 3.
Modern Apizza is my favorite pregame option, but on a Saturday night it will be crowded, so get there early to get a table. Pepe's will be crowded as well.
The Cornell Club of Greater Hartford along with the Coastal Connecticut Cornell Club and the Cornell Club of Fairfield County will be hosting a pre-game reception at Anna Liffey’s located near the rink at 17 Whitney Avenue. The cost is $10 per person for the reception and includes hors d’oeuvres (cash bar). I'm planning on parking near the rink, and then going to the reception, which goes from 4:30 to 6:30.

Posted by: Robin (76.119.237.---)
Date: February 24, 2011 06:06PM

I plan to be at both Brown and Yale.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2011 06:29PM

Al DeFlorio
If I may expand this thread to include Friday's game at Brown, I'll share this email from Bruno describing their efforts (right out of the Colgate playbook) to get students to the rink. Bring earplugs.

Brown Fans,

Rivalry Friday starts at 7pm tomorrow with the men's basketball team playing Harvard and the men's ice hockey team playing Cornell. We will have 200 pizzas at Meehan and another 200 pizzas at the Pizzitola for students starting at 6pm. Also at both games, one student at each game will be randomly selected to win an iPad! We will also hand out megaphones at hockey and paperclip caddies at basketball.
During the Basketball game, there will be performances by the Brown Cheerleaders and Sugar Bears. At halftime, there will be a special performance by Brown University's Divine Rhythm. At the ice hockey game, we will be raising money for the Coach's care Foundation with a Chuck-A-Puck. the winner will receive a game worn Hockey Jersey.

At the end of both games, we will be handing out coupons for Paragon that is good for 10% off your meal for Friday night only. It is going to be an exciting night and we hope to see you at the Pizzitola Center or at Mehan Auditorium!

Go Bears!!
Sort of an upgraded Colgate, and what/who are Sugar Bears? It sounds downright suggestive.

Date: February 24, 2011 07:44PM

Sugar Bears does sound like Campfire Girls who decided after HS to live life in the fast lane as sideline dancers at Soldiers Field. I hope it's not five-year-olds in costumes we're impugning. Ah, heck, one of the parents should have thought this one through.

Re: Yale Roll Call/Places to Eat and Drink 02/26/11 (and Brown 02/25/11 too)
Posted by: hockeychick470 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 24, 2011 08:34PM

I asked my friend who graduated from Brown last year if she'd ever heard of the Sugar Bears. Here is her reply:
"yeah for a second i was even thinking maybe our pole dancing team lol they're outrageous and trashy" then she actually looked it up and its their pom team...

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2011 09:32PM

hockeychick470
I asked my friend who graduated from Brown last year if she'd ever heard of the Sugar Bears. Here is her reply:
"yeah for a second i was even thinking maybe our pole dancing team lol they're outrageous and trashy" then she actually looked it up and its their pom team...
And yes, it's a thing.

Date: February 24, 2011 10:25PM

Josh '99
hockeychick470
And yes, it's a thing.
No pics in the Poler Bear gallery.:-/

Date: February 25, 2011 12:07AM

>>> its their pom team

with eLynah's small, sans serif font on my PC, it's hard to tell p-o-m from p-o-rn. Had me thinking we'd uncovered the reason for Brown's steady increase in applications.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2011 08:13AM

billhoward
>>> its their pom team

with eLynah's small, sans serif font on my PC, it's hard to tell p-o-m from p-o-rn. Had me thinking we'd uncovered the reason for Brown's steady increase in applications.

Some of us are old enough to remember Brown's student prostitution ring scandal in the 80s...

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: February 25, 2011 09:20AM

Anybody driving back to NYC from Yale after the game, with room for 2?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 09:22AM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: February 25, 2011 10:10AM

I'll be at Yale. First game I've been able to make all year.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2011 10:47AM

Damn... you got here first. Anybody else driving back to NYC from Yale, with room for one?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: munchkin (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 10:49AM

Anyone driving back to Boston from Yale with room for 1? Plans are up in the air now. Definitely still going to Brown.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 10:54AM

billhoward
>>> its their pom team

Yeah, and I misread the pole bears site to say "we purloin" instead of "we perform." I'm getting too old for this.

Re: Yale Roll Call - Yale Gameday info
Date: February 25, 2011 03:17PM

Yale e-mailed this info to people who bought tickets through the Yale box office. Yale mentions its paid garage parking but especially on Saturday you can find free street parking, certainly if you arrive early. Renovations gave Ingalls a bit more spectator amenities, but the best advice of all is a) bring earplugs for little kids (Saarinen was influenced by death metal before the genre existed) and b) ladies, go pee somewhere else before the game.

>>> Colgate, Cornell in for big ECAC Set

There is one weekend left in the regular season and the Yale men's hockey team (22-5, 16-4 ECAC) trails first-place Union by one point in the ECAC Hockey standings. The Bulldogs, coming off three straight road victories, are home for Senior Weekend to host Colgate (7-23-2, 4-14-2) and Cornell (13-11-3, 11-7-2) before a pair of full houses at the Whale.
TICKETS
There are NO tickets left to purchase for this weekend's games.

Read more here...

Game-Day Information
• Doors open at 6pm
• Will Call open 1 1/2 hrs before game-time
o Will Call booth located to left side of main entrance
• Concessions are located behind Aisles 6 and 7, and on the lower-level near the main entrance
• Merchandise available on the lower-level near the main entrance
• View our seat map here
Parking Information
• The Prospect-Sachem Parking Garage opens 1 1/2 hrs before game-time. Parking is available for $5 at time of entry (dependent upon availability).
• The parking garage will reach capacity for both games - we advise fans to map out a parking plan in advance.
• Please refer to this map for additional Yale parking locations.
• We recommend parking in Lot 22 or Lot 16, both located on Whitney Ave. in the event that the Prospect-Sachem Garage reaches capacity. There is a walking path that connects the parking areas to Sachem St.
• Check the City of New Haven website for important information on parking within the city limits
• Please pay attention to all posted parking signage if not parking in Garage.
Leaving Ingalls Rink
• Please refer to our 'exit map' for help in planning your route leaving Ingalls Rink.
• If parking in the Prospect-Sachem Garage, please note that we will be using TWO exit lanes
o Left lane used for cars turning left onto Prospect St
o Right lane used for cars turning right onto Prospect St

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 25, 2011 03:32PM

billhoward
Renovations gave Ingalls a bit more spectator amenities

Did they get rid of the smell? The last time I was there the entire press box side of the rink smelled like two week old gym socks.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 04:59PM

nyc94
billhoward
Renovations gave Ingalls a bit more spectator amenities

Did they get rid of the smell? The last time I was there the entire press box side of the rink smelled like two week old gym socks.

This is almost too easy....

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 25, 2011 05:08PM

Al DeFlorio

Brown Fans,

Go Bears!!

First, aren't megaphones subject to the RPI rule? Or is that the vuvuzela horn that started that? That should be a fun time giving the 6th graders who show up to Brown games ways to amplify their voices. Have fun with that. scream

A couple years ago, I thought about collecting all the give-aways and promo items that other schools had for when Cornell visited, since there seemed to be a LOT when we traveled. I have several towels, random thunderstix, those scroll-like retractable signs, and seat cushions. I think I've passed up various iterations of foam fingers and animal claws. In the past month alone, we've had three separate "WHITE OUT" events held against us (@ Harvard, Union, and RPI) and I believe Union handed out more towels, and RPI had t-shirts.

I'd like to say that we're always the target of giveaway nights to get locals to show up to balance out our traveling numbers, but I don't want to be that arrogant right now, and the general numbers of traveling Faithful (especially from Ithaca) have been down the last few years.

Posted by: MattShaf (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2011 05:37PM

Yale +3. Likely at Pepe's before the game. Should be fun!

Posted by: mha (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2011 10:54AM

I'm heading to New Haven in a bit. Anyone staying nearby with hotel suggestions? I was thinking about the Fairfield Inn in Milford for cheap rate, free breakfast, and right off the interstate for ease of departure tomorrow, but I can be convinced otherwise. (Especially if you have a spare bed.)

I'll be looking for postgame suggestions, too. Oh, and I could provide a ride back to Ithaca if needed.

Date: February 26, 2011 12:11PM

mha
I'm heading to New Haven in a bit. Anyone staying nearby with hotel suggestions? I was thinking about the Fairfield Inn in Milford for cheap rate, free breakfast, and right off the interstate for ease of departure tomorrow, but I can be convinced otherwise. (Especially if you have a spare bed.)

I'll be looking for postgame suggestions, too. Oh, and I could provide a ride back to Ithaca if needed.
With snickers, I hope.

Posted by: mha (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 26, 2011 12:30PM

I'll see what I can find...

Date: February 26, 2011 12:51PM

mha
I'll see what I can find...
Thanks

Posted by: mha (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 26, 2011 05:32PM

Snickers acquired. I am not a fan of that Wal-Mart. I am, however, a fan of Sam Adams and Frank Pepe's.

Date: February 26, 2011 06:24PM

mha
Snickers acquired. I am not a fan of that Wal-Mart. I am, however, a fan of Sam Adams and Frank Pepe's.
Throw mightily. (We need a baseball emoticon.)

Date: February 27, 2011 12:50AM

MattShaf
Maybe it was because it's a Saturday night game, but the before 5:00 line was the longest I've see at Pepe's. We got there at 4:40 and didn't get seated until ~5:30, maybe it was later, and we missed the first couple minutes of the game. Regardless, the pizza was great as always.

Date: February 27, 2011 05:54AM

billhoward
MattShaf
Maybe it was because it's a Saturday night game, but the before 5:00 line was the longest I've see at Pepe's. We got there at 4:40 and didn't get seated until ~5:30, maybe it was later, and we missed the first couple minutes of the game. Regardless, the pizza was great as always.
For shame.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login