Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 0 St. Lawrence 3 (final)

Posted by Roy 82 
Cornell 0 St. Lawrence 3 (final)
Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: November 05, 2010 08:23PM

No game thread? Are you serious?

According to "Live" Stats the score of this Cornell St. Lawrence game is RIT 5 Cornell 3.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2010 09:10PM by Roy 82.

Re: Cornell 0 St. Lawrence 1 (3rd)
Date: November 05, 2010 08:42PM

St. Lawrence scores on a 5x3.

Re: Cornell 0 St. Lawrence 2 (3rd)
Date: November 05, 2010 08:55PM

Aw hell, just use the twitter link.

Re: Cornell 0 St. Lawrence 3 (final)
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2010 09:07PM

Final, SLU 3-0 with an empty net goal. All three goals in the third. Three losses to start the season. Ouch.

Re: Cornell 0 St. Lawrence 2 (3rd)
Posted by: mikek (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 05, 2010 09:10PM

They just completely overran us in that 3rd period. We seemed to lose our focus after giving up the lead on that 5x3 goal.

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 01:44AM

Cornell has allowed an empty-net goal in each of the three games so far. That's three goals in 2:31 of play. We haven't seen pucks go into the Cornell net with such frequency since Eddy Skazyk tended goal. ;-)

Date: November 06, 2010 10:10AM

cbuckser
Cornell has allowed an empty-net goal in each of the three games so far. That's three goals in 2:31 of play. We haven't seen pucks go into the Cornell net with such frequency since Eddy Skazyk tended goal. ;-)
A good comic holds his material until the right time, in this case about 15 years. Groucho was pushing 60 before he got to say, "I love my cigar, too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while."

Posted by: ebilmes (134.124.135.---)
Date: November 06, 2010 11:01AM

At the risk of stating the obvious, this seems like an interesting turn of the tables from previous years. Recently, we've been one of the last undefeated teams in the NCAA, or the last one-loss team in the NCAA, due to a late start, some weak OOC opponents, and a strong ECAC weekend or two. The team would rise in the polls, expectations would rise, and we'd see an eventual coming back to earth once the team hit a rough stretch. Now, we're one of the last winless teams in the NCAA (I count seven).

Like others around here, I think we'll end up close to .500. I don't think it's such a bad thing to start out 0-3-0. I'd rather go from a slow start to a decent finish than a year like 2006-2007, when we started 5-0-0 and finished 9-13-4.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2010 11:03AM

I got to check out of my motel room soon but I would contribute our loss to lack of offensive coordination. We held our own in the defensive end during the first two periods and Garman made some decent saves. It was during the 5x3 in the third when the opposing player "flicked" the puck right above his shoulder and barely knocked it in; from then on, the momentum began to change.

Once again, I would contribute our loss to the lack of offensive coordination. Schafer definitely made the team work on defense during the week and passing improved as well, but players don't know how to get open and get in good position and barely any forechecks were made.

Let's see how we fare against Clarkson, who lost to Colgate last night.

Posted by: RobertSchur (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 06, 2010 11:18AM

I could hear the voice of my father coaching my pee wee teams in my head last night as I watched this game. "GET TO THE NET, STICK ON THE ICE." Nobody got in front of the SLU goalie for very long, if at all, as Cornell scrambled around the Saints' zone flailing for some semblance of puck control. Our forechecking was non-existent last night and I can recall any one instance of any sustained offensive pressure, midway through the second period. Playing dump and chase hockey just isn't going to win you a lot of games. The concept of the offensive triangle was completely lost on our guys last night. That said, St. Lawrence dominated the neutral zone as well, picking up most of the loose pucks or cleanly stripping possession from the Red as they came up ice. Frankly, it was shocking this game wasn't 3-0 by the end of the second period.

Also, Mowery took three penalties last night (all in the third period, a cardinal sin in hockey) and the whole team took eight for the game. To quote my father again, "You can't score from the penalty box." The 5 on 3 was the death sentence last night as the Saints collapsed on the net and just moved the puck until the right winger found the twine over Garman's left shoulder. Even when we had power plays, we could not get anything going, unlike previous years' teams, which were highly effective on the man-advantage.

You can't blame Garman for this one. He made some outstanding saves and only gave up one goal that may have been his fault: the second goal which went through his five-hole as SLU effectively cycled the puck around the Cornell zone, utilizing aforementioned pee wee hockey concept of the offensive triangle.

Bottom line: Back to fundamentals, stay out of the penalty box. Let's get them tonight.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 12:30PM

Historical Footnote: The last time we lost the first three games of the season ('79-'80), we won the ECAC Championship. As an 8th seed, we defeated #1 BC, #2 Providence and #3 Dartmouth. I had the pleasure of being at those 3 tournament games.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 12:41PM

jkahn
Historical Footnote: The last time we lost the first three games of the season ('79-'80), we won the ECAC Championship. As an 8th seed, we defeated #1 BC, #2 Providence and #3 Dartmouth. I had the pleasure of being at those 3 tournament games.

They needed to win against Providence and at BU (after blowing a 5 goal lead) in overtime just to get into the playoffs.

BTW, that team lost at Clarkson 14-6. help
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 12:45PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: November 06, 2010 01:35PM

Trotsky
jkahn

They needed to win against Providence and at BU (after blowing a 5 goal lead) in overtime just to get into the playoffs.

BTW, that team lost at Clarkson 14-6. help
and in the ECAC semi against Providence, we trailed 5-2 early in the 3rd, and won 6-5 without needing overtime. Moral of this story: it's way to early to despair. LET"S GO RED!

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2010 01:40PM

More on the historical note -- I think that team was 0-5-1 at Christmas and won 20 straight down the stretch.

Date: November 06, 2010 01:48PM

Table of results for all games and conference games since 1962-63.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2010 01:55PM

ebilmes
At the risk of stating the obvious, this seems like an interesting turn of the tables from previous years. Recently, we've been one of the last undefeated teams in the NCAA, or the last one-loss team in the NCAA, due to a late start, some weak OOC opponents, and a strong ECAC weekend or two. The team would rise in the polls, expectations would rise, and we'd see an eventual coming back to earth once the team hit a rough stretch. Now, we're one of the last winless teams in the NCAA (I count seven).

Like others around here, I think we'll end up close to .500. I don't think it's such a bad thing to start out 0-3-0. I'd rather go from a slow start to a decent finish...
If you could only guarantee that, I'd be happy.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2010 01:59PM

ajh258
I got to check out of my motel room soon but I would contribute our loss to lack of offensive coordination. We held our own in the defensive end during the first two periods and Garman made some decent saves. It was during the 5x3 in the third when the opposing player "flicked" the puck right above his shoulder and barely knocked it in; from then on, the momentum began to change.

Once again, I would contribute our loss to the lack of offensive coordination. Schafer definitely made the team work on defense during the week and passing improved as well, but players don't know how to get open and get in good position and barely any forechecks were made.

Let's see how we fare against Clarkson, who lost to Colgate last night.
I disagree. I only watched on the small, small screen, but our defense in the third looked atrocious. By the way I'm again at home alone with daughter, so I won't be at Clarkson.:`-( I hope Mark bought extra Snickers.:-P

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2010 02:29PM

ajh258

He'll probably give me another asshole but geez, seriously???**]

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2010 06:16PM

dag14
More on the historical note -- I think that team was 0-5-1 at Christmas and won 20 straight down the stretch.

Other than being factually incorrect, this is an insightful observation.

The 79-80 team played 6 games before the holiday break, won 2 and lost 4.

After the break: 2W, 3L, 4W, 4L, 3W, 2L, 5W (the wins over Providence and BU [in OT] to get into the top 8, then the wins over BC, Providence and Dartmouth in the ECAC tourney), 2L (NMU in the NCAA semis, Dartmouth in the consolation). 14 wins, 11 losses.

Historical lesson: a .500 team can win the ECAC tournament and get into the NCAA's. An 0-3 start isn't a death sentence. Doesn't make the last 3 games easier to take, but don't give up yet, if only because we won't need a miracle finish to get into the ECAC playoffs this year.

Posted by: ACM (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2010 06:18PM

ajh258
Schafer definitely made the team work on defense during the week ...

How do you know what Schafer did during the week?

Date: November 06, 2010 06:24PM

A .162 team can win the ECAC tournament and get into the NCAA's.

30L, 2W, L, 4W.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: November 07, 2010 10:10AM

Trotsky
A .162 team can win the ECAC tournament and get into the NCAA's.

30L, 2W, L, 4W.
And a .244 team can...

Posted by: ajh258 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: November 07, 2010 11:11AM

ACM
ajh258
Schafer definitely made the team work on defense during the week ...

How do you know what Schafer did during the week?

Talked to one of players. I also heard they watched a lot of SLU tapes but apparently that didn't help either.

TimV
ajh258

He'll probably give me another asshole but geez, seriously???**]

I realize it's pretty bad and am always open to criticism, but I hope that's not the only thing you're going to comment on.

Jim Hyla
I disagree. I only watched on the small, small screen, but our defense in the third looked atrocious. By the way I'm again at home alone with daughter, so I won't be at Clarkson.:`-( I hope Mark bought extra Snickers.:-P

Upon re-examining the defense at Clarkson last night, I retract my earlier assessment and have to agree with you. Initially during the SLU game, the team looked better than they were last weekend against UNH and RIT, but there was a somewhat significant change of momentum after that 5x3 goal and it went downhill from there.

Saturday night's defense was disappointing as well, although I contribute the win more towards the Knights' poor performance rather than our own strengths. Andy Iles made some great saves and that was a significant factor as well. Our team wasn't as physical as our opponents and there were some big open ice checks against us.

And lastly, yes, Mark bought enough Snickers. popcorn (replace popcorn with Snickers)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2010 11:13AM by ajh258.

Re: Cornell 0 St. Lawrence 3 (final) - memories of 1980 team
Date: November 09, 2010 06:37PM

jkahn
That was an amazing run for Cornell, coming on the heels of Team USA in the Olympics. By coincidence, I found the Boston Globe articles from that weekend while cleaning out the attic this past weekend (attached). Those were the glory years for Globe sports: Bob Ryan, Peter Gammons, Leigh Montville, Leslie Visser before she jumped to TV, Michael Madden, Fran Rosa, et al. The ECACs got as much play the next morning as the Celtics or Bruins. Not quite the same when you pick up the next day's Albany Times-Union.

Attachments:
open | download - Boston Globe 1980-0317 Cornells dream turn into a crown.PDF (65.8 KB)
open | download - Boston Globe 1980-0315 Cornell stuns PC, 6-5, roars to final.PDF (55.7 KB)
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 06:49PM

billhoward
jkahn
That was an amazing run for Cornell, coming on the heels of Team USA in the Olympics. By coincidence, I found the Boston Globe articles from that weekend while cleaning out the attic this past weekend (attached). Those were the glory years for Globe sports: Bob Ryan, Peter Gammons, Leigh Montville, Leslie Visser before she jumped to TV, Michael Madden, Fran Rosa, et al. The ECACs got as much play the next morning as the Celtics or Bruins. Not quite the same when you pick up the next day's Albany Times-Union.

Thanks for posting these Bill.

Posted by: jeff '84 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 09, 2010 08:27PM

billhoward
jkahn

Great stuff, thanks!

Posted by: ajh258 (---.calsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 12, 2010 12:29PM

Just got Faceoff! in the mail and just want to highlight Schafer's comment on the game last weekend:

Michael Schafer
In all honesty, we probably played better in the first two periods at St. Lawrence than we did on Saturday evening in Potsdam. We played better defensively than the previous weekend, but still must capitalize on our scoring opportunities, especially in the third period.

It's good to know that the coach is working to improve, in my opinion, the right areas, and hopefully we'll pull through this weekend against the felines.

LGR!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2010 05:05PM by ajh258.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login