Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Hockey in the NY Times

Posted by Beeeej 
Cornell Hockey in the NY Times
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 28, 2010 02:31PM

A brief shout-out to our perfect season (no mention of Dryden, thank goodness) in yesterday's column about the Breeder's Cup:

[therail.blogs.nytimes.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Cornell Hockey in the NY Times
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2010 05:12PM

He went to BC, so I guess he knows something about hockey. He also wrote a history of Suffolk Downs, so history matters to him? Anyway nice to see.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: October 28, 2010 09:55PM

"the quest for perfection in college football is subject not only to opinions in the form of human voters, but also to the formulas implemented by six computers. Boise State was 14-0 last year, too, but the Broncos didn’t have a national championship trophy to show for it."

Wow, I didn't realize that computers actually chose what formulas to implement. Who are these six computers who dare to make our decisions for us based on their own criteria?

Aside from his incorrect phrasing of the issue, the often-repeated implication that those darn computers chose the wrong BCS champ is really annoying.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: October 29, 2010 07:48AM

Roy 82

"the quest for perfection in college football is subject not only to opinions in the form of human voters, but also to the formulas implemented by six computers. Boise State was 14-0 last year, too, but the Broncos didn’t have a national championship trophy to show for it."

Wow, I didn't realize that computers actually chose what formulas to implement. Who are these six computers who dare to make our decisions for us based on their own criteria?

Aside from his incorrect phrasing of the issue, the often-repeated implication that those darn computers chose the wrong BCS champ is really annoying.
Even though it may be true? No one can say the right champ was crowned unless there is a playoff, which I don't favor.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 29, 2010 09:38AM

Roy 82

I, for one, welcome our new computer overlords.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: October 29, 2010 04:48PM

Jim Hyla
Roy 82

Even though it may be true? No one can say the right champ was crowned unless there is a playoff, which I don't favor.

It is not true. Computers just crunched some numbers. You could have used an abacus or slide rule. Human beings selected the winner by selecting the criteria. It was a human choice to implement the criteria and not to allow deviation based on the whims of voters (unlike what happens in the NCAA smoke-filled rooms come basketball and hockey tournament time). It is this choice that should be debated and not the Luddite implications of computers taking over (although I too welcome our new computer overlords. All hail the cloud!).

Posted by: Old Red (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 29, 2010 10:31PM

Actually, although you doubtless went to Cornell, you are wrong about the phrasing being wrong. To implement is to carry out, execute, put to use as well as to provision.

So some hominids implemented computers with formulas which were implemented (executed) by the computers realising a national champion in football -- subject of course to your acceptance of the result. I myself wait for that blue fielded Broncos to come crashing down to earth by the low lifes of the SEC.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2010 06:33AM

Old Red
So some hominids implemented computers with formulas which were implemented (executed) by the computers realising a national champion in football -- subject of course to your acceptance of the result.
My sacred text says computers were a gift from pan-dimensional gophers in pink stretch leggings, and I don't care for your parochial anthropoid assumptions, mister. :-(

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 30, 2010 08:17PM

Old Red
Actually, although you doubtless went to Cornell, you are wrong about the phrasing being wrong. To implement is to carry out, execute, put to use as well as to provision.
That's very much not how the word "implemented" is used with respect to computers in my experience. Someone comes up with an algorithm and the programmer implements it in code. Then the computer runs the code. But hey, the puck has been dropped so we don't need to argue over nomenclature and semantics anymore! (Who am I kidding?)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login