Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 6 UQTR 3

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 6 UQTR 3
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 08:44AM

Another Mets-ridden summer survived. Drop the puck.

Scoring:

1 00:52 Cor Roeszler (Mowrey)
1 14:59 Cor pp J. Devin (Roeszler, Miller)
1 17:34 Cor Roeszler (Esposito, Birch)
1 18:28 Cor sh J. Devin (Ross, Miller)
1 19:12 Cor D'Agostino (de Swardt)
2 08:11 Que Bellevance-Martin (Charland)
3 06:30 Que pp Demers (Charland, Henri-Frechette)
3 07:51 Que Charland (Breton, Lessard)
3 10:58 Cor de Swardt (Birch)
Edited 16 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 06:55PM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell 0 UQTR 0 (pregame)
Posted by: Kyle Rose (64.134.68.---)
Date: October 21, 2010 12:46PM

Trotsky
Another Mets-ridden summer survived.
If it hurts so much to keep punching yourself in the nuts, then why do you do it? ;-)

Date: October 21, 2010 01:20PM

Kyle Rose
Trotsky
Another Mets-ridden summer survived.
If it hurts so much to keep punching yourself in the nuts, then why do you do it? ;-)

Posted by: RobertSchur (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: October 21, 2010 04:59PM

Any reason this game is listed on my season tickets schedule (lower right corner of the sheet) as a "scrimmage" instead of exhibition? Is there some significant difference? Tomorrow's game is still an exhibition.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 05:10PM

RobertSchur
Any reason this game is listed on my season tickets schedule (lower right corner of the sheet) as a "scrimmage" instead of exhibition? Is there some significant difference? Tomorrow's game is still an exhibition.
This is completely just a guess, but maybe an exhibition is a game played under standard rules, whereas a scrimmage can be structured in a more freeform manner (like how they work in breakaways and stuff into the R/W scrimmage)?

Posted by: WillCMJr (198.190.230.---)
Date: October 21, 2010 06:42PM

Some "drivel" for you... My wife is at the game while I'm stuck at work. Apparently the team is wearing the "new" jersey's described in the RW game thread. B.U. style, if you will.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 06:59PM

Josh '99
RobertSchur
This is completely just a guess, but maybe an exhibition is a game played under standard rules, whereas a scrimmage can be structured in a more freeform manner (like how they work in breakaways and stuff into the R/W scrimmage)?
Interesting idea.

Video up, as is the gain (off the charts).

Posted by: WillCMJr (198.190.230.---)
Date: October 21, 2010 07:01PM

"An exhibition game (also known as an exhibition match, exhibition, demonstration, demo, exhibit or friendly) is a sporting event in which there is no competitive value of any significant kind to any competitor (such as tournament or season rankings, or prize money) regardless of the outcome of the competition. The games can be held between separate teams or between parts of the same team. Quality of play is generally valued over the end result. The term scrimmage is also sometimes used, especially with regard to team sports, but is ambiguous because it has other meanings even in that context. Another synonym is preparation match."

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 21, 2010 07:09PM

Dartmouth beat UQTR 7-6 on Sunday. Princeton beat them 5-4 last night.

Re: Cornell 5 UQTR 1 (2nd intermission)
Posted by: ajh258 (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: October 21, 2010 08:32PM

Second period looked more like typical big red hockey: lots of blocks and clears, and a lack of offensive organization.

Also, looks like they changed the jersey.

Re: Cornell 5 UQTR 1 (2nd intermission)
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2010 11:06PM

ajh258
Also, looks like they changed the jersey.
EW. barf

Re: Cornell 6 UQTR 3
Posted by: ajh258 (---.lightlink.com)
Date: October 22, 2010 12:29AM

Facing the first "real" opponent for this season, the men's icers' performed with... you guessed it, "mediocrity" this Thursday.

While the Red had a scoring frenzy in during the first period, it was probably because UQTR had a difficult time adjusting to our more physical style of play, which probably contributed to a lot of their defensive letdowns. Roeszler and J. Devin both had great starts, each scoring two goals that put the Red solidly on top; D'Agostino also had a beautiful solo backhand goal, created from a breakaway pass by Miller.

During the second and most of the third, it was more of the same for the Red, as the team buckled down to their "defensive mode" and played the systematic style of hockey that fans are familiar with.

The most impressive performance was probably from two freshmen - Dustin Mowrey and Kirill Gotovets. Both players were quick on their feet, knew where to position themselves in anticipation of the puck, and demonstrated an ability to maneuver commonly-used defensive tactics. Although they weren't first shift, they were certainly second or third and saw a great deal of ice time.

Mike Garman, apparent starting goalie for this year, gave away 3 goals from 26 SOGs. He moved around the goal a bit and was reminiscent of a less-experience Ben Scrivens, although Garman's technical skills were probably better. Garman made some critical saves and demonstrated some impressive reaction skills as well.

Overall, it was more of the same from last year, with some expected new faces and some old ones getting more ice time. Schafer's system definitely still defines much of the team's strategy, although the freshmen forwards were bringing on a new level of energy that energized our seasoned veterans. If this is the way the Red performs for the rest of the year, we are definitely in the running for a top 4 finish in the ECAC, and perhaps another chance at defending the Whitelaw Trophy. Stay tuned Lynah Faithful, the rebuilding season is off to a better-than-expected groundbreaking.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2010 03:22PM by ajh258.

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 22, 2010 07:52AM

I agree with most of your analysis. It is important to note that UQTR was playing it's 3rd travel game in 5 days so fatigue might have been a factor in the first period.

I saw the puck skated into the offensive zone much more regularly than in the past where we would dump and chase. Same for the power play.

UQTR did adapt after the first period and arguably won the next 2 periods so I think there is a lot of work to do.

Posted by: profudge (---.dr04.nrwc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 22, 2010 08:00AM

Couple of observations:
  • We did poorly on face offs first 2 periods and finally started getting better in 3rd - looks like an area we need to work on.
  • First period we were hustling and QTR was not fore-checking hard - In the Second and Third they pressured us more in our end and were more successful at holding puck in our zone some.
  • Patrick Kennedy did not play.
  • QTR goal on the PP was a pretty play and a great setup pass - Garman didn't seem to have much chance on that.
  • Other 2 QTR goals seemed to me, that we missed a defensive assignment and someone was left open in close to stuff the puck in the net.

Overall - I am encouraged by hustle and energy levels. The Freshman class looks strong. Esposito was flying... QTR goalie played very well, 38 saves. Jillson had 3 good looks/shots in early part of game and put all 3 a bit high or wide; goals will be coming there as season rolls on, I am sure.
Game was enjoyable. Lots to improve on but not a bad first exhibition.

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: October 22, 2010 08:06AM

I knew Kennedy was out, but I didn't notice Chris Moulson -- did he sit out as well?

Date: October 22, 2010 08:14AM

Towerroad
I saw the puck skated into the offensive zone much more regularly than in the past where we would dump and chase. Same for the power play.
This seems to be the case in the exhibition games every year. I don't know whether it's superior skill or conditioning. If we're still doing in against UNH, well, OK then. rock

Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 22, 2010 09:11AM

Trotsky
Towerroad
This seems to be the case in the exhibition games every year. I don't know whether it's superior skill or conditioning. If we're still doing in against UNH, well, OK then. rock

Agreed

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: October 22, 2010 10:54AM

Trotsky
Towerroad

There was more puck carrying in the offensive zone but there was a lot of dump and chase too. I would say the ratio of carry to dump is about 45-55, which is considerably more than last season. Also, it should be noted that most of the carrying happened during the first period when we outscored our opponent.

In addition, I don't think Schafer is going to let the team do this much carrying against UNH or ECAC opponents, but he might - we have to wait and see. The difference between the traditional style and being aggressive is evident in our scoring. I just hope that coach realizes sometimes a good offense actually makes up for a less than spectacular defense.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: October 22, 2010 12:24PM

ajh258
...we are definitely in the running for a top 4 finish in the ECAC, and perhaps another chance at defending the Cleary Cup.

Another chance at what, now? The Cleary Cup is for a first-place regular season finish, something we haven't done since 2005. The Whitelaw Trophy is what we won last season by spanking Union.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ajh258 (---.calsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 22, 2010 03:20PM

Beeeej
ajh258
...we are definitely in the running for a top 4 finish in the ECAC, and perhaps another chance at defending the Cleary Cup.

Another chance at what, now? The Cleary Cup is for a first-place regular season finish, something we haven't done since 2005. The Whitelaw Trophy is what we won last season by spanking Union.

doh

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: October 22, 2010 04:13PM

ajh258
Trotsky
Towerroad

There was more puck carrying in the offensive zone but there was a lot of dump and chase too. I would say the ratio of carry to dump is about 45-55, which is considerably more than last season. Also, it should be noted that most of the carrying happened during the first period when we outscored our opponent.

In addition, I don't think Schafer is going to let the team do this much carrying against UNH or ECAC opponents, but he might - we have to wait and see. The difference between the traditional style and being aggressive is evident in our scoring. I just hope that coach realizes sometimes a good offense actually makes up for a less than spectacular defense.
But as had been mentioned, UQTR also changed their tactics, and I think that as much as anything changed the flow of the game.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 22, 2010 06:39PM

I think we have a fairly good idea of what Schafer teams are. ;-) He's not going to change significantly, ever. It's build out from the net and open it up only to the degree that you are still secure behind the puck. That's the girl what brung us.

Date: October 23, 2010 12:23PM

Trotsky
I think we have a fairly good idea of what Schafer teams are. ;-) He's not going to change significantly, ever. It's build out from the net and open it up only to the degree that you are still secure behind the puck. That's the girl what brung us.

It is hard to disagree. The "Schafer System" is what it is and it is unlikely to change, ever. It has brought us to where we are but I think there is a real question about whether it will keep us there or permit us to advance. It appears to me that the game is evolving and placing a higher emphasis on puck handling and speed. If we keep on doing what we have done so successfully in the past we risk standing still while others begin to play a new game.

Posted by: underskill (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2010 01:37PM

I thought this convo was reserved for the end of year after disappointing NCAA loss.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-213-249.myvzw.com)
Date: October 23, 2010 01:39PM

Towerroad
It appears to me that the game is evolving and placing a higher emphasis on puck handling and speed. If we keep on doing what we have done so successfully in the past we risk standing still while others begin to play a new game.

From my perspective, Cornell has evolved (somewhat) from the mid-90's. The players we're seeing now are much much better puckhandlers than we were watching early in Schafer's tenure. Think back to the first period of the Thursday night game...And, remember that that was the first period of the first game of the year...The puckhandling was pretty damned good...And, they definitely showed a lot of speed. Granted, the opposition will not be confused with any of the great NCAA programs. But, Cornell showed that they can throw the puck from player to player quite nicely.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 23, 2010 02:58PM

redice
Towerroad
It appears to me that the game is evolving and placing a higher emphasis on puck handling and speed. If we keep on doing what we have done so successfully in the past we risk standing still while others begin to play a new game.

From my perspective, Cornell has evolved (somewhat) from the mid-90's. The players we're seeing now are much much better puckhandlers than we were watching early in Schafer's tenure. Think back to the first period of the Thursday night game...And, remember that that was the first period of the first game of the year...The puckhandling was pretty damned good...And, they definitely showed a lot of speed. Granted, the opposition will not be confused with any of the great NCAA programs. But, Cornell showed that they can throw the puck from player to player quite nicely.

I'm with you.

Date: October 23, 2010 05:38PM

I will freely admit that this conversation is a bit premature and even silly. I was also impressed with the speed in the first period. After the first period though something changed. Either UQTR adapted to what we were doing or there was a conscious decision to revert to more standard Cornell Hockey.

Let's see what the first few weeks bring to see if there is any change in philosophy. Schafer is a very good coach and adapting with the game and even making other adapt to you is the hallmark of a great coach. Time will tell.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2010 02:36AM

Towerroad
Trotsky

It is hard to disagree. The "Schafer System" is what it is and it is unlikely to change, ever. It has brought us to where we are but I think there is a real question about whether it will keep us there or permit us to advance. It appears to me that the game is evolving and placing a higher emphasis on puck handling and speed. If we keep on doing what we have done so successfully in the past we risk standing still while others begin to play a new game.

People have been saying this for at least 10 years (although the incessant complaining around these parts didn't start until about 5 years ago, and it didn't get ridiculous until 2-3 years ago). They're partly right. The game has gotten faster. Skill levels have increased. The thing is, that's *also* happened at Cornell. You might not notice it because you watch the team every year, but you'll see it if you compare last year's ECAC title winning team to the 96-97 ECAC title winning team. The 96-97 team, as great as it was to watch, and as well as they executed, would have gotten crushed in the ECAC final four this year. If you don't believe me, look at how many of last year's players are in the AHL right now, and compare that with the total number from the 96-97 team. College hockey has gotten a lot better and a lot faster in the last 15 years, and Cornell is still competitive at the NCAA level. This should tell you something about what the coaching staff has accomplished since 1995, and whether or not "the system" works in a faster and more skilled version of the game.

If I were to believe the fans around these parts, the last 5 years has been a period in which the speed and skill of the game have been rapidly increasing to Cornell's detriment. In that span, the Big Red have been to 2 NCAA regional finals and made 1 additional NCAA tournament appearance. Two of those NCAA trips were in the last two years. Why don't we wait until Schafer actually, you know, fails before we start calling his approach to the game a failure?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 05:02PM by Tom Lento.

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: October 24, 2010 04:49AM

Tom Lento
Three of those NCAA trips were in the last two years.

Wow, I knew Schafer had a good system, but that IS quite an accomplishment!

Posted by: kicksave (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 25, 2010 11:44AM

So whats the story with Chris Moulson? His father says he's better than Matt was at this stage and two healthy scratches. He scored in the Red/White scrimmage as a freshman and got very little playing time last year. He looked good again in Red/White scrimmage and again no game time. Is he on Schafer's s***-list?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 25, 2010 11:50AM

I have no idea what the story is with Chris. However, I'm not sure his father is the most unbiased observer.

Date: October 25, 2010 01:34PM

KeithK
I'm not sure his father is the most unbiased observer.
I dunno, we're talking about comparing his son to his other son, not about comparing his son to some other guy on the team.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: October 25, 2010 02:04PM

Josh '99
KeithK
I dunno, we're talking about comparing his son to his other son, not about comparing his son to some other guy on the team.

The younger one is always the favorite. rolleyes

Posted by: pfibiger (---.embarqservices.net)
Date: October 25, 2010 03:31PM

kicksave
So whats the story with Chris Moulson? His father says he's better than Matt was at this stage and two healthy scratches. He scored in the Red/White scrimmage as a freshman and got very little playing time last year. He looked good again in Red/White scrimmage and again no game time. Is he on Schafer's s***-list?

So last year it seemed to me like he had an excellent shot and a nose for the net, but was a really slow skater. Perhaps an offseason on the skating treadmill has changed that.. :)

Posted by: scoop85 (173.84.100.---)
Date: October 25, 2010 03:58PM

pfibiger
kicksave

So last year it seemed to me like he had an excellent shot and a nose for the net, but was a really slow skater. Perhaps an offseason on the skating treadmill has changed that.. :)

Interesting that Mihalek -- who I don't recall playing at any point last year -- got the nod over Moulson for both exhibitions.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 25, 2010 04:51PM

Josh '99
KeithK
It's a father using the example of the already successful older sibling (whose continued success has nothing to do with his abilities as a sophomore) to tout his younger son. This doesn't strike me as terribly reliable. YMMV.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.corp.tfbnw.net)
Date: October 25, 2010 05:02PM

Robb
Tom Lento

Well, that was stupid. Fixed.

Date: October 25, 2010 06:11PM

KeithK
Josh '99
KeithK
It's a father using the example of the already successful older sibling (whose continued success has nothing to do with his abilities as a sophomore) to tout his younger son. This doesn't strike me as terribly reliable. YMMV.
I don't know that I would call it the most reliable assessment either, I just don't think it's biased. But now we're arguing semantics, and that's what we're supposed to do in the offseason. Which it is not! **]

Date: October 25, 2010 06:13PM

Tom Lento
Robb
Tom Lento

I figured you were just giving Schafer credit for all the successful clutching and grabbing the wrestling team has done in recent years. :-D

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2010 04:03PM

Josh '99
Tom Lento
Robb
Tom Lento

I figured you were just giving Schafer credit for all the successful clutching and grabbing the wrestling team has done in recent years. :-D

Now that you mention it, isn't there an individual NCAA title in there somewhere? And people say Schafer isn't getting it done on the national level. . . :-}

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login