Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ithaca to Union

Posted by Chips '03 
Ithaca to Union
Posted by: Chips '03 (---)
Date: January 06, 2003 06:40PM

How long and what's the best route to get from Ithaca to Union?
Thanks.

Re: Ithaca to Union
Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: January 06, 2003 06:57PM

chips
you basically have two options. these are rough
79 east to 206 east (crosses 81) to 88 East to 90 west to 890 east take erie bvd exit then right onto union street.

13 north to 281n to 81n to 481n to 90e and get off at the schenectady exit which is to 890e/5s then take the erie bvd exit 4b (i think you make a left onto erie) then right onto union street = campus. double check these with mapquest or something :-)

you should see onion signs. there are a few ways that you can go from 88 or from 90 to get to campus.
tell me if i am wrong here everyone :-) nut

Posted by: Josh '99 (---)
Date: January 06, 2003 09:40PM

jy3 wrote:

chips
you basically have two options. these are rough
79 east to 206 east (crosses 81) to 88 East to 90 west to 890 east take erie bvd exit then right onto union street.
This one is better.

Date: January 06, 2003 11:21PM

yeah i am taking 88 from bing.
129.1 miles for the 88 route but 3hrs 50 minutes
185 miles via 90 but 3.5 hrs
times according to yahoo so who knows :-)
i can make it from binghamton to amsterdam NY in 2 hrs with good weather...
choose your route and drive safely :-) nut

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: January 06, 2003 11:27PM

I've made the drive from Ithaca to Albany once and Albany to Ithaca twice, always doing the 79 <--> 206 <--> 88 <--> 90 route (on the advice of a friend of mine from the area), and it's generally taken me about 3 hours. Once a little bit more but that was on a very foggy night.

Posted by: jnachod (---)
Date: January 07, 2003 07:58AM

Since I live in the Albany area and take this road quite often to get to Corrnell, I thought I'd let you know a few things. The I-88 route is the best way to go. There is no toll on the thruway from exit 25A to exit 25 - the eastern end of 890 (the five or so miles you'll be on it), but there is if you go from 25A to 26 (the western end of 890). To get to Union college I'd just take I-90 east when you get to the end of I-88 then get off at exit 25 (the next exit), and go to Union by exit 4-C on I-890.

Just to warn you guys, I-88 is extremely treacherous in the snow. Quite often it will be a sunny day but you will happen to drive through a few blinding snow showers in Schoharie or Oneonta. You should also be advised that the road goes through lots of small mountain towns with speed traps. The cops mostly hide out in the U-turn things. In fact, I've heard that Princetown (at the extreme northern end of the road) doesn't have a property tax and the town's entire revenue is supported through speeding fines mostly from the Interstate (though this may not be true).

Date: January 07, 2003 08:27PM

i agree with justin except that taking 90 east to 890 west to union is longer. not sure which will be shorter during the time that you will be driving.
i drove this past saturday night down 88 and the snow wasnt too bad. but friday it was aweful i am sure.
there is a cornell function before the union game too.
i can search for the info if anyone is interested. nut

Posted by: Anne 85 (---)
Date: January 07, 2003 10:19PM

I've driven along route 88 more often than I care to remember (en route between Boston and Ithaca), and I consider the "mystery snow" to be a benefit, not a drawback. It provides a brief diversion from the bucolic scenery and usually doesn't significantly affect the driving conditions.

In fact, I've often wondered what causes these snow squalls (I've had plenty of time to ponder, since the radio reception is pathetic along most of 88) -- it's almost as though a ski area had decided to make snow on the road rather than the hills. Any meteorolgists out there?

Oh, and I've been told that Duanesburg is a major speed trap. It's also toward the Albany end of 88.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: January 08, 2003 08:12AM

One exception to the dire radio situation on 88 is the abundance of college stations around Oneonta.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: January 08, 2003 09:31AM

This is why God evolved cars into having CD players.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---)
Date: January 08, 2003 10:20PM

I wouldn't be surprised if alot of those aren't the tail end of lake effect. We, in Syracuse, know alot about them and they can be very isolated. You can get bands of snow that will travel over 100 miles and yet only be a few miles across.

Date: January 08, 2003 10:21PM

Or satelite radio.

Date: January 10, 2003 12:14AM

yeah, jim. i remember being in awe of the lake effect snow that came off of cayuga and the other finger lakes the first time it happened. the wind has to be just right. of course you were talking about the great lakes :-)

Re: Ithaca to Union/troopers
Posted by: Hooligan (---)
Date: January 12, 2003 03:58AM

As far as the "mystery snow", it has been my belief that it's due to the lake effect and the catskills/helderbergs. For any lake effect that goes south of Syracuse the catskills, whose nothern parts are called the Helderbergs, is the first real uplands in the way. Thus causing a water dump on the windward side, on route 88.
More importantly, the state troopers have begun setting up camp on the outer side of I88N. This removes the predictability of looking for uturn signs on the left. I know, I have a court appearence in Cobleskill on the 23rd because of it. So beware they could be hiding on the right. Also, the only place I have seen troopers on I88 is either right after you get on it, from 206, or as others have said towards te end of the ride.

Date: January 12, 2003 05:07PM

True, but you hardly need hills to get dumped on by lake-effect. Just ask anyone in the Parish to Pulaski part of Rt. 81.

Posted by: atb9 (---)
Date: January 12, 2003 06:21PM

Going from Ithaca to Albany on Saturday, I found one of their hiding spots--luckily not with a ticket There is a spot in the brush on the left just after mile marker 106. The U-turn is at mile marker 105 so after you go past it, don't speed up. This is before you hit the exit for Duanesburg.

Date: January 12, 2003 07:47PM

I've got some info on radar detectors for you all.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: January 12, 2003 08:52PM

You mean that they're illegal in Virginia? :-P

Hey, speaking of strange states to pass through on a hockey roadtrip, I don't suppose there's any chance we'll return the favor from last season and visit Huntsville?

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: January 13, 2003 08:17AM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

You mean that they're illegal in Virginia? :-P
Also in New York for vehicles with a gross weight above 7 (I think) tons.

Date: January 13, 2003 10:01AM

another note on 88 troopers
I was lucky enough to get off at one of the exits that has a gas station right near the highway or else i would have been nabbed by the trooper sitting on top of the overpass near the entrance/exit ramps. beware!
:-)

Posted by: marty (---)
Date: January 14, 2003 01:14AM

Here is a picture of what causes the squalls:

Date: January 14, 2003 08:51PM

Well at least it went right over Labrador in northern Cortland County, where I ski. Thanks for the picture, it's worth a thousand words, and might take up as much space.

Date: January 16, 2003 02:53PM

lab is great, i like it much better than greek peak but alas the peak is closer.

so who is making the trip. i will be with a crew of people tomorrow and then just my fiancee, my housemate, and I will be there saturday nut

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: January 16, 2003 04:06PM

I'll be there.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: January 18, 2003 01:25AM

Yeah, no kidding about the radio...

For those that don't know, I made the trip from Ct to Ithaca tonight, with a stop in Schenectady for the game...

On the way down I-88 afterwards I was listening to the only non-country/Jesus/punk rock station I could find - AM 590. They had this interview with this guy from California who had been fired from his job as a football coach / math teacher at a private high school. Why? Cuz in front of a supermarket a kid tried to sell him a candy bar to raise money for band uniforms, and he told the kid to "f*** off".

The funniest thing (after a while of listening to him) was that he was completely unrepentant and felt he had done absolutely nothing wrong. And that if these lousy kids were going to "guilt trip" him, then they deserved it and they should try to sell candy to him "straight up" "like a man" instead of giving him feel guilty by pouting and putting on something apparently called a "moo face".

It went on... he left his wife and 3 kids in Minnesota because they asked him to go to church, so he told them to "f*** it." He was incredibly proud that his new girlfriend in California works for a peep show, because apparently it shows that he's a real man if he can get a girl like that...

One caller was a lady with a French accent (French Canadian it turned out) and he said he didn't take any advice from French people since the French had "bent over for Hitler". This senior high school girl called up and he kept threatening to tell her to 'f' off, going as far as starting to make the "eeeeehhh..." sound (beginning of the pronounciation of 'ef') whenever she started talking. But the capping moment of it all was when he challenged the host to a staring contents (saying he can stare anyone down) even though it was a phone interview. The host kept saying he didn't know where to stare, which culminated in him asking the host if he had blinked, the host said "well yeah, I blinked" to which the interviewee responded "I win."

One of the saddest, unintentionally funniest things I've ever heard and will probably never be able to forget help .

-Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login