Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Matching Financial Aid

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Cornell Matching Financial Aid
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2010 01:51PM

This probably could go in any forum, OK not tickets, but the Sun reports that the U will match aid packages of other Ivies and maybe the old Ivy Overlap Group. That's great news for recruiting.

Here's the CU announcement from July 7. I don't quite understand how the difference in the way the schools figure packages works. Any help and example of how they might differ?

Re: Cornell Matching Financial Aid
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2010 02:20PM

Jim Hyla
Any help and example of how they might differ?
More grant dollars, fewer loan dollars? Smaller contribution expected from on-campus work?

Posted by: ajh258 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: September 04, 2010 02:57PM

Jim Hyla
This probably could go in any forum, OK not tickets, but the Sun reports that the U will match aid packages of other Ivies and maybe the old Ivy Overlap Group. That's great news for recruiting.

Here's the CU announcement from July 7. I don't quite understand how the difference in the way the schools figure packages works. Any help and example of how they might differ?

First, the school subtracts a "student contribution" amount from the total cost of attendance - usually around 2k, Cornell is around 3k. This you are expected to pay but is technically "covered by your financial aid package" because FA office gives you a Federal Work Study allocation. You don't get this amount unless you find a job on campus - FWS makes it easier for people to hire you. A lot of people don't work on campus so they just pay it out of pocket.

Then, how much you pay is based on your EFC. This is a number calculated by the FASFA website, which is based on your family's combined income, wealth, and tax returns. Cornell and Columbia use an alternative system called the "Institutional Methodology," which basically increases the amount you're expected to pay by 2k-3k (see how this adds up even if you make 60k a year?).

So the number that's left over is what each school promises to "cover" using their financial aid package. Other Ivies usually gives grants and most have eliminated loans with more grants, so you don't have to pay them back. CU and Columbia (these are the ones that I know of) still use loans. So while you don't have to pay in school, you're stuck with it after graduation. In addition, if you have a scholarship from somewhere and they pay directly to Cornell, you cannot get that money. Instead, CU decreases the grant they give you if you have these scholarships.

With all these factors combined, the cost of attendance easily goes up. If you are accepted to any other Ivy except for Columbia, you are likely to get a better financial aid package.

On a side note, Harvard has its own system; they have the highest threshold in terms of financial aid cutoffs. For example, for families making less than $180k a year, Harvard gives a grant that cover tuition, fees, room & board - basically you could attend for free - they don't really use EFC and their packages are generally more generous.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 03:01PM by ajh258.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2010 05:12PM

Thanks, so we do more loans and the article states we are similar to Columbia, but I still didn't understand how, if we will match "their" package, there can end up still being differences. This quote confused me:

As a result of these differences, it is possible that two students with identical financial backgrounds could be paying very different tuition prices to attend Cornell, Keane said.
I guess the differences are between students at CU. No differences between attending CU versus another Ivy.Like the following example, your match depends upon who else accepted you.

“The most challenging scenario we keep considering is what if a set of twins applies to Cornell and they’re both accepted, but one is also accepted to Columbia and the other to Princeton …” Keane said. “One twin will probably get a better aid package since Columbia and Cornell [calculate financial aid in a similar way].”
I guess since Princeton's package would be better, and we're like Columbia, the PU student get's a better ride at CU.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.res-wired.cornell.edu)
Date: September 04, 2010 08:30PM

Jim Hyla
Thanks, so we do more loans and the article states we are similar to Columbia, but I still didn't understand how, if we will match "their" package, there can end up still being differences. This quote confused me:

As a result of these differences, it is possible that two students with identical financial backgrounds could be paying very different tuition prices to attend Cornell, Keane said.
I guess the differences are between students at CU. No differences between attending CU versus another Ivy.Like the following example, your match depends upon who else accepted you.

“The most challenging scenario we keep considering is what if a set of twins applies to Cornell and they’re both accepted, but one is also accepted to Columbia and the other to Princeton …” Keane said. “One twin will probably get a better aid package since Columbia and Cornell [calculate financial aid in a similar way].”
I guess since Princeton's package would be better, and we're like Columbia, the PU student get's a better ride at CU.

Yes Jim, that is what I got from the article as well. I also see parents getting really mad about this and suing the university for acting in a monopolist manner. If government broke up the earlier group that determined commonly-accepted students' packages, this policy is effectively doing the same.

Personally, I'm kind of upset too. If I knew this would happen, I would at least try to apply to more Ivies just so I can get a better package from CU.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 08:33PM by ajh258.

Posted by: Robb (---.198-178.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: September 05, 2010 05:05AM

ajh258
Yes Jim, that is what I got from the article as well. I also see parents getting really mad about this and suing the university for acting in a monopolist manner. If government broke up the earlier group that determined commonly-accepted students' packages, this policy is effectively doing the same.

Personally, I'm kind of upset too. If I knew this would happen, I would at least try to apply to more Ivies just so I can get a better package from CU.
Great point - kiss the Early Decision pool goodbye!

Posted by: cquinn (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2010 09:29PM

The Early Decision pool generally doesn't apply to anyone who needs to see their financial aid package before making a decision. Can't commit to a school in November when you won't know if you can afford it until April. I suppose you could make some assumptions if you're dealing with one of the schools that goes heavy on the grants, but that would be a bit risky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login