Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC Round 1: Post-series Thread

Posted by RichH 
ECAC Round 1: Post-series Thread
Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: March 09, 2008 09:40PM

Better a post-series thread than a season postmortem.

5 games vs. Dartmouth, Cornell goes 4-1. Three blowouts, 1 close win, 1 loss. Not bad against an opponent that has had our number over the past 10 years, but not really at the expectation level for playing a last-place team. Certainly a sweep would've given a lot of us more confidence.

So far Brown, Dartmouth, and Niagara are the only teams Cornell has beaten by more than 2 goals.

It took 3, but we're headed to Schenectady. Union has never advanced in the playoffs. What better team to try to do so than CU...our fandom's psyche is already at cliffs-edge about Union since they joined the league in '91.

We tied Union in the standings, but everyone knows our 0-8 record vs. teams seeded above us.

LGR!!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2008 09:41PM by RichH.

Onion tickets
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2008 09:41PM

I bought my Onion playoff tickets last week by phone. They mailed them at $25 per three ticket session (upper level bleachers). I am not sure why but they didn't charge me the handling fee that they normally do.

So for those who don't buy at the CU ticket office, the number is either

518-388-6134
518-388-6020

I think the second number listed is the direct line (no menu navigation needed).

Re: ECAC Round 1: Post-series Thread
Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2008 09:56PM

Fantastic game. Great crowd energy, great team energy. In section A we noticed Topher look into the stands and smile - I believe it's the first time in 4 years he looked up during the game. What dedication - that kid's amazing.

Mike Devine was a fantastic good sport. His stick salute as he exited the ice was a class act, and he should be commended. For it. If you can't have fun losing, quit.

The refs decided not to call icing for much of the first period, and let a few hits go by in the second that might have been whistle-worthy...The game reached that wonderful point where it's *about* to get out of hand physically, but stayed at that peak for a wonderfuly intense third period.

Now back to the thesis and the prelim I've put off, chewing my nails all day in anticipation of the game.

I hate to even bring it up, but I think I should, lest a new bovine-ringing device go to someone's head: if you don't like a cheer, (say, perhaps off the top of my head, a soccer-style chant) just don't participate. There's no need to override the efforts of your now-alumni Lynah faithful.

An amazing game, and - despite much agony - a thrilling season. Scrivens is going to be a beast next year...I can't wait to check in.

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2008 11:25PM

I expected the third game to a blowout- I just didn't know which way, what a great way to win an up and down series. Mike Devine was the best player of the series and stood on his head to keep his team in it. My hat is certainly off to him. Dartmouth is a better team than I gave them credit for, they outworked, out-coached, and just flat out-played us for a good portion of the series.

I thought the Mugford checking line really proved to be the difference in this series (they certainly got enough ice time). Shut down their top scoring line which had me worried coming in. Sawada seems to have awakened the slumbering beast from within, what a series for that guy. Colin Greening, Riley Nash, also spectacular. Doug Krantz was definitely the goat, however. I thought goaltending was the difference in the second game, that being said Scrivens had a solid series and a great game tonight, even though he wasn't tested.

I haven't had that much fun at home games since my freshman year, thanks to all of the Lynah and eLynah Faithful for the amazing memories over 4 great years. I will never forget you guys and will remember my times in Lynah Rink as the best of Cornell. As I said last night, I couldn't think of a finer group of people to spend my Friday and Saturday nights with. On the road, at Lynah, you guys are awesome and make Cornell hockey and the Lynah experience what it is. Tonight's atmosphere was electric, reminded me of the double OT game vs. Clarkson two years ago. I better end this post before I get too nostalgic... looking forward to the Union series, can't wait to see you guys there.

LGR!
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2008 11:35PM by Doug '08.

Posted by: polar (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2008 11:27PM

Can anybody explain to me why that hit in the second period didn't earn at least a 10 minute misconduct? I was under the impression that contact to the head hits in ECAC which cause injury are supposed to automatically be one...

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 12:13AM

Doug '08
I thought the Mugford checking line really proved to be the difference in this series (they certainly got enough ice time). Shut down their top scoring line which had me worried coming in. Sawada seems to have awakened the slumbering beast from within, what a series for that guy.

Sorry, I actually posted similar ideas on the game thread. Later than you of course.doh

Posted by: BMac (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 12:36AM

Despite the dangerous hits, despite the dumb antics that LaJollaRed mentioned from some of the faithful, this was one of the most fun games I've been to. Probably because it's the last home game of my class (2008)'s undergrad career.

If there's two images burned into my mind from the last four years of watching this team, it'll be the ridiculous grin and three-foot jump from Topher when he scored the GWG against Clarkson in 2005 and the last faceoff of this game.

As mentioned, Topher looked up at the crowd about twice in his career. In 2005 after that goal and 10-odd seconds from the end tonight, when Schafer put out all the seniors and they had a faceoff in front of section A. He looked at Ray, then the crowd, and both of them had ear to ear grins. We were chanting "thank you seniors" and it was an incredible Lynah moment.

Thanks for the memories.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 01:41AM

They got better each game this weekend and it came together nicely tonight. That late goal in the first period may prove to be the most important of the season. After killing that 5-on-3 and weathering quite a bit of Dartmouth momentum during the second half of the first period that was a key cash-in for a team that does not always see the results of strong play on the scoreboard.

It was key for some guys to get some confidence tonight particularly from an offensive standpoint. If this team will have any more success this season they are going to need more contributions from the Barlow-Gallagher-Devin line. All three had their best games of the series tonight so that will be something to build on.

I haven't seen a lot of games this year but I'm guessing Sawada is playing his best hockey of the season. I have been critical of him for not playing enough to his strengths (consistent physical presence) but he became more of a the dominating physical presence the last two games that we saw earlier in his career. I think he has felt a lot of pressure to contribute offensively this year and it has hurt what he does well. Earlier in his career, any offense he provided was a bonus. He was expected to go out and set a physical tone every shift. He did that this weekend and that is the biggest reason for his offensive explosion.

Quietly, I felt Krueger was Cornell's best player this weekend. He was particularly good tonight. Kind of a sleeper of his recruiting class, Krueger has developed very nicely in two years. Will be interesting to see how much better he gets.

Devine still made a few outstanding saves but he wasn't as sharp as he was last night. I felt like Cornell got about the same amount of good scoring chances tonight as they did last night yet they scored twice as many goals.

Cornell's third goal was a tough sequence for Dartmouth. Barlow blatantly tripped the Dartmouth defenseman which led to the turnover and the goal. That one really stung the Dartmouth bench and they never recovered.

Busch league cheapshot by Gaudet on Davenport. He played very well this weekend so hopefully he will be okay to play against Union.

No question these guys can beat Union. It is very clear that this is a totally different team when they have the lead and the records certainly indicate that. Tonight more than any of the games I saw this year, Cornell had 19 guys all contributing. That must happen if they are even to win one more game this season. That to me is why that Gallagher line will be so key next weekend because they have contributed very little this season and certainly have the potential to be factors.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 01:51AM

calgARI '07
Busch league cheapshot
This metaphor did not come from NASCAR.

Thanks for the weekend analysis, though.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 11:19AM

Last weekend Greening was the monster, this weekend it was Sawada, and the guy who was most consistently great over both weekends was Topher. Textbook leading by doing.

Next weekend will be trench warfare. Union isn't going to give up all those odd mans rushes and let us beat them to the puck in their end. Much, much tougher series coming up. "There will be blood." panic

Date: March 10, 2008 12:10PM

ugarte
calgARI '07
Busch league cheapshot

The term came from the baseball busch leagues of the 1920's I believe which spells b-u-s-c-h.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 12:31PM

calgARI '07
ugarte
calgARI '07
Busch league cheapshot

The term came from the baseball busch leagues of the 1920's I believe which spells b-u-s-c-h.
Source? You might be right, but I've never heard that story and never seen it spelled that way. Wouldn't be the first time the true origins of something were lost.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2008 12:35PM

Wikipedia!

[en.wikipedia.org]

Wikipedia
Bush league is a general term used to describe an action or thing as being amateur, inferior or crude. In a literal sense, it refers to a low quality minor-league in baseball not associated with any of the major league teams. The term originated from the state of minor-league fields that often were ringed with shrubs and bushes.

The phrase sounds similar to the NASCAR Busch Series (name changed to Nationwide Series as of 2008 season), sometimes known as the "Busch League", since it is essentially NASCAR's minor league circuit. However, popular usage far predates the creation of this organization.

Not to lose sight of the original point...I can't see how Gaudet didn't get 5 for that hit.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2008 12:35PM by ebilmes.

Posted by: ansky629 (141.213.139.---)
Date: March 10, 2008 12:36PM

Only one place to go for the answer to this epic quandry...Wikipedia. They say it's bush league.

Wikipedia: Bush League

Date: March 10, 2008 12:42PM

My source is a very reliable sports historian so I'll hunt him down and get back to you.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2008 12:49PM

ansky629
Only one place to go for the answer to this epic quandry...Wikipedia. They say it's bush league.

Wikipedia: Bush League

But the article has no references, and the discussion page is mostly comments that things have been removed for lack of references, so it's hardly authoritative.

I've always been under the impression it was spelled "bush", but I don't think my assumption was grounded on anything in particular, although this is the first time I've seen anyone assert the "Busch" spelling.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (137.99.117.---)
Date: March 10, 2008 12:49PM

KeithK
calgARI '07
ugarte
calgARI '07
Busch league cheapshot

Source? You might be right, but I've never heard that story and never seen it spelled that way. Wouldn't be the first time the true origins of something were lost.

A quick search of the NYT archive produces over 300 hits for "bush league" from 1851-1980 and exactly zero for "busch league."

It also confirms that the term pre-dates the 1920s. See for example this 1917 piece: [query.nytimes.com]

The term first appeared in the attached funny 1910 game summary.

I've never seen the word for shrubbery spelled with a c and I'm fairly certain that's the basis for the term.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2008 12:54PM by Chris '03.

Attachments:
open | download - 102040337.pdf (79.8 KB)
Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 10, 2008 01:46PM

ansky629
Only one place to go for the answer to this epic quandry...Wikipedia.[/url]

Ick, really? Maybe if you want a thesis-length discussion of episode 4 of the 6th season of "Buffy." For academic-ish questions, I go elsewhere. A search for "Bush League etymology" turns up this (see 3rd question on the page):

[www.takeourword.com]

Now on to the etymology. Why bush? This arose, apparently first in Australia (later turning up in South Africa and New Zealand), from Dutch bosch "wood(s)", and first appears in written English in the late 18th century, referring to woods but also, and then later more exclusively, to uncleared, untamed lands, especially in the interior. It also came to mean "country" versus "city". By extension, bush came to refer, by the middle of the 19th century, to anything crude or roughly made, or a person practicing a craft for which he had received no formal training, like a "bush carpenter". That sense was picked up in America and applied to the minor baseball leagues, which often played in small towns and were not as skilful as the major league players. Bush league is first recorded in that sense in 1906, as is bush leaguer. By 1943 it was being used beyond baseball.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 02:16PM

Chris '03
That summary should be read with an olde-timey radio tone of voice for maximum effect. I particularly liked "He had unerring control of his damp toss [which I take to mean a spitball], which broke and jumped over the plate in all sorts of angles."

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 04:15PM

I apologize in advance for this post which might move this discussion back on-topic, knowing that some may consider it busch...errr, bush-league. Anyway...

Does anyone know why the fans were not invited on to the ice after the win last night? I'm pretty sure the last several times we have advanced in the playoffs with a home win there has been a big celebration on the ice. Back in the 80's and 90's, when the glass was a good deal shorter, these celebrations started with fans climbing over the glass. In past years the doors at the West end of the rink were opened. So anyone know why that didn't happen last night?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 10, 2008 04:32PM

Wait, there were no fans on the ice after the game?

???!???
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2008 04:33PM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 04:39PM

andyw2100
I apologize in advance for this post which might move this discussion back on-topic, knowing that some may consider it busch...errr, bush-league. Anyway...

Does anyone know why the fans were not invited on to the ice after the win last night? I'm pretty sure the last several times we have advanced in the playoffs with a home win there has been a big celebration on the ice. Back in the 80's and 90's, when the glass was a good deal shorter, these celebrations started with fans climbing over the glass. In past years the doors at the West end of the rink were opened. So anyone know why that didn't happen last night?

No, I was wondering that myself. I was standing at the top of section E waiting for them to open the Zamboni door, but they didn't.:`-( Not that I planned to go down, but it is (was?) a nice tradition.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2008 04:39PM

Josh '99
Chris '03
That summary should be read with an olde-timey radio tone of voice for maximum effect. I particularly liked "He had unerring control of his damp toss [which I take to mean a spitball], which broke and jumped over the plate in all sorts of angles."

Reminds me of the recurring "mild doses of physic" bit from the Marquis of Queensbury rules on an episode of "Sports Night."

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 04:43PM

I saw a MLB game from the 70's on ESPN Classic once, and one of the announcers called a high slide a "Busch League" play. When asked by his partner what he meant, he explained that when he played, players would call something unprofessional on the field a "Busch League" play, and that stuff should only happen in leagues where players are drinking Busch in the dugouts.

It didn't sound like he was joking, so at the least there's evidence that this term has been confused and been spelled differently for decades.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2008 04:44PM

Not to belittle last weekend's achievement, but those other years, the team was celebrating a trip to the ECAC Championship Tournament. This year, they're celebrating(?) a trip to Schenectady. Not quite the same.

Posted by: slh10 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 04:44PM

MURPHY!!!asshole

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 10, 2008 04:49PM

CowbellGuy
Not to belittle last weekend's achievement, but those other years, the team was celebrating a trip to the ECAC Championship Tournament. This year, they're celebrating(?) a trip to Schenectady. Not quite the same.
Beat me to it. Beating the 12 seed in three games is not a storm-the-ice moment.

Date: March 10, 2008 04:50PM

CowbellGuy

I always viewed it as celebrating a successful ending to the hockey season at Lynah rink and a victory in a playoff series, and a great way for the Faithful to "see the team off" to greater successes down the road. I didn't think it was a coronation for being in the top 33% of the ECAC.

Date: March 10, 2008 04:52PM

ugarte
CowbellGuy
Beat me to it. Beating the 12 seed in three games is not a storm-the-ice moment.

But beating the #8 team is?

Posted by: beejj (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 04:53PM

calgARI '07
My source is a very reliable sports historian so I'll hunt him down and get back to you.
Oh what a bunch of shit! Can't this guy ever admit he's wrong? PM me for details...

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2008 04:55PM

CowbellGuy

I agree it's not the same. But I'm sure both the fans and players would have liked it. And personally I don't see it happening under these circumstances (advancing to the quarter-finals instead of to the semi-finals) often enough to detract from the "specialness" of only having it happen when the team is advancing to Albany.

Posted by: BMac (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2008 05:00PM

For the people who weren't there: no, we didn't storm the ice, but we got a pretty damn awesome moment nonetheless.

The players skated to the front of section A, grinning like madmen, and saluted the crowd. Then they moved down B, C, all the way down to the townie side. The townies were going nuts- I've never heard them so loud!

I reiterate for emphasis: awesome, awesome moment.

(Sidenote: Since they spent more time in A than anywhere else, I take that to mean we're better than B. Ok, that argument is settled.)

Date: March 10, 2008 05:00PM

andyw2100
CowbellGuy

I agree it's not the same. But I'm sure both the fans and players would have liked it. And personally I don't see it happening under these circumstances (advancing to the quarter-finals instead of to the semi-finals) often enough to detract from the "specialness" of only having it happen when the team is advancing to Albany.

Agree, I look at it as no different than the team raising their sticks after a loss, or for that matter, having senior night after a loss. It's more a thanks, we enjoyed the year, let's say hello. I hope they go back to it.

Date: March 10, 2008 05:02PM

BMac
(Sidenote: Since they spent more time in A than anywhere else, I take that to mean we're better than B. Ok, that argument is settled.)

No, they like the band.:-D

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 05:47PM

beejj
Oh what a bunch of shit! Can't this guy ever admit he's wrong? PM me for details...
Is this an imposter? Or have you changed the spelling of your name?

Date: March 10, 2008 05:52PM

Al DeFlorio
beejj
Is this an imposter? Or have you changed the spelling of your name?

It ain't me, if that's what you're asking. I'm perfectly comfortable ridiculing Ari under my own name when it's called for.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 10, 2008 05:53PM

Beeeej

It ain't me, if that's what you're asking. I'm perfectly comfortable ridiculing Ari under my own name when it's called for.

Ridiculing me? You must mean disagreeing with me.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2008 05:54PM by calgARI '07.

Date: March 10, 2008 05:58PM

calgARI '07
Beeeej

If the totality of my responses to you in the past does not include anything you consider ridicule, I defer to your interpretation and apologize for implying otherwise. :-)

- Steve Worona

Date: March 10, 2008 06:18PM

Beeeej

If the totality of my responses to you in the past does not include anything you consider ridicule, I defer to your interpretation and apologize for implying otherwise. :-)

There's a difference between intended ridicule and actual ridicule.

Date: March 10, 2008 08:47PM

ugarte
CowbellGuy
I was wondering whether the students had come out on the ice or not and was kind of hoping they didn't. Winning the first round is not enough of a celebratory moment. To compare to the mid nineties, we did not storm the ice for the victory over Princeton in the '94 preliminary round but we did after the QF wins in 96 and 97. I wouldn't be surprised if Schafer didn't want to have the big on ice celebration after round one.

Besides, filing onto the ice isn't the same as climbing over the glass. :-D

Date: March 10, 2008 08:49PM

ebilmes
Wikipedia!

[en.wikipedia.org]
Yes, that's the first place I looked. But seeing as it's just a stub post with no sources, etc. I figured it wasn't very reliable. Wiki is a great place to start when looking for info but only a start.

Date: March 10, 2008 09:54PM

calgARI '07
Beeeej

Take your comfort in whatever reality you can, I always say.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 10:40PM

Beeeej
calgARI '07
Beeeej

You really are an attorney. popcorn

I wasn't sure whether they'd go on the ice. In past seasons when Cornell ended a non-playoff season with a win at Lynah, we did not rush the ice. Those were the days when we actually charged the boards and climbed the glass, and that is not easy, even when you're 21, trust me.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 10:45PM

calgARI '07
"Stay down, Youngblood; stay down!" :-/

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 11:10PM

Trotsky
Those were the days when we actually charged the boards and climbed the glass, and that is not easy, even when you're 21, trust me.
I did it in '96, and don't recall having any problems getting over the glass. I think I was only 20 at the time, though. :-D

Kyle

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 11:27PM

krose
Trotsky
Those were the days when we actually charged the boards and climbed the glass, and that is not easy, even when you're 21, trust me.
I did it in '96, and don't recall having any problems getting over the glass. I think I was only 20 at the time, though. :-D

Kyle
I didn't think getting over the glass was all that hard. Landing on the ice without busting your ass was a bit of a challenge....

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 11:49PM

krose
Trotsky
I did it in '96, and don't recall having any problems getting over the glass. I think I was only 20 at the time, though.
If I got over the glass, and I did, it was not hard to get over the glass.

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (146.203.126.---)
Date: March 11, 2008 03:47AM

ugarte
krose
Trotsky
I did it in '96, and don't recall having any problems getting over the glass. I think I was only 20 at the time, though.

They made the glass taller I believe two seasons ago, so it's pretty much impossible now.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2008 08:56AM

They also claim it's more brittle than the old glass and would shatter. A more likely story is they don't want anyone falling 12 feet and cracking their skull open.

Date: March 11, 2008 11:21AM

RazzBaronZ
ugarte
krose
Trotsky

They made the glass taller I believe two seasons ago, so it's pretty much impossible now.

When they did the ice/boards renovations around the beginning of the decade, they changed to the seamless glass. The old glass had vertical metal ribs holding each pane, making it much more stable than the new stuff. The seamless glass seems more wobbly at the top to me, making it tougher to climb over. And like RazzRaronZ said, they increased the height around the sides of the rink a couple years ago.

I also went over the glass in the '95-'96 season. Not once, but twice. Once in November, and again in March. It was much more spontaneous that year, as most students simply weren't around the previous time it probably happened in '91. Heck, the players were waving us down. The excitement surrounding that QF weekend was at a very high level.

When they changed it to having the students line up at the zamboni doors, to me it seemed...well contrived. Like selling tickets to Slope Day. That said, yeah, it's a good moment to have that Faithful/players celebration no matter how it happens.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 11:23AM by RichH.

Date: March 11, 2008 11:39AM

CowbellGuy
They also claim it's more brittle than the old glass and would shatter. A more likely story is they don't want anyone falling 12 feet and cracking their skull open.

Since the high glass, it looks impossible. Anybody trying to get over would have to be very intoxicated, setting up a Darwin Award moment.

Date: March 11, 2008 12:00PM

RPI completes the season with 170 power play opportunities, 12 power play goals and... 11 short handed goals allowed. So close.

Date: March 11, 2008 12:54PM

Trotsky
RPI completes the season with 170 power play opportunities, 12 power play goals and... 11 short handed goals allowed. So close.

Drat. I mean...kudos to RPI to avoid some sort of noteriety.

Another interesting stat, looking at the numbers: Only two D1 teams have yet to score a short-handed goal. And they're playing each other this weekend in Schenectady.

Date: March 11, 2008 08:38PM

calgARI '07

Still waiting with "baited" breath (spelling confirmed by my reliable fishing historian)on the word from your "reliable" source....

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 08:44PM

Safety Beeeej

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: March 11, 2008 08:45PM

beejj
calgARI '07

Still waiting with "baited" breath (spelling confirmed by my reliable fishing historian)on the word from your "reliable" source....
Heh. That's one of my favorite commonly misspelled words - the exact example I immediately thought of when this whole discussion started.

Date: March 11, 2008 09:20PM

CM cWo 44
Safety Beeeej
L fing OL!!

Posted by: sah67 (---.65.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 09:22PM

beejj
fing

Safety swearing...

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.gunnery.org)
Date: March 11, 2008 09:29PM

beejj

Sorry if it wasn't clear but CMCWO 44 was my source. He put forth his explanation. At least get fired up about something hockey-related rather than the derivation of a term. Embarrassing.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 09:30PM by calgARI '07.

Date: March 11, 2008 10:00PM

calgARI '07
beejj

Sorry if it wasn't clear but CMCWO 44 was my source. He put forth his explanation. At least get fired up about something hockey-related rather than the derivation of a term. Embarrassing.
Oh!, the explanation that he thought they weren't joking when the guy said they only do that when guys in the dugout are drinking busch beer is your reliable source. Thanks, now I know what you consider reliable. You are a piece of work, dude. Busch beer from the late 70s is your explanation for a term from the early 1900s. Your credibility just rocketed!!! Maybe its Schafer's fault the team thinks Busch beer is Bush league!

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 10:16PM

CowbellGuy
Same SMSA, pretty much. But this year, we take the victories where we find them, and riding into the first real round of the playoffs with a 6-0 thumping of the (last place, admittedly) Big Green is something.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.211.---)
Date: March 11, 2008 11:00PM

beejj
calgARI '07
beejj

Oh!, the explanation that he thought they weren't joking when the guy said they only do that when guys in the dugout are drinking busch beer is your reliable source. Thanks, now I know what you consider reliable. You are a piece of work, dude. Busch beer from the late 70s is your explanation for a term from the early 1900s. Your credibility just rocketed!!! Maybe its Schafer's fault the team thinks Busch beer is Bush league!

do you have a man crush on Ari or something?

Date: March 12, 2008 12:00AM

Dpperk29

do you have a man crush on Ari or something?

I think safety Beeeej is playing hard-to-get.

Date: March 12, 2008 09:06AM

[do you have a man crush on Ari or something?[/quote]

No, I have a crush on you, obviously, douchbag.moon

Date: March 12, 2008 02:28PM

beejj
[do you have a man crush on Ari or something?

No, I have a crush on you, obviously, douchbag.moon[/quote]

Now perhaps we could get a reliable source to give us an accurate history of the word "douch"...it's a new one to me ;)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2008 11:20AM

Robb
beejj
calgARI '07

Heh. That's one of my favorite commonly misspelled words - the exact example I immediately thought of when this whole discussion started.

Is there any way this discussion could be "waived" off?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: March 14, 2008 11:31AM

jtwcornell91
Robb
beejj
calgARI '07

Good effort to "reign" it in.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 04:18PM

Chris '03
jtwcornell91
Robb
beejj
calgARI '07

Good effort to "reign" it in.
We're just "roll" players, anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login