Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Happy Randy Wilson Day!

Posted by heykb 
Happy Randy Wilson Day!
Posted by: heykb (---.c3-0.upd-ubr3.trpr-upd.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 06:54PM

You'll have to rename the attached file to an mp3 extension after saving to your computer. It's worth it.

Still the loudest Lynah has ever been...

Thank goodness my girlfriend was in Vet school and I didn't feel like leaving Ithaca after graduating.

Next year will be the 30th anniversary of Randy Wilson Day.

Karl '77

PS There's another thread with good stories and links here.

Re: Happy Randy Wilson Day!
Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 08:14PM

Always fun to hear and remember. Thanks for posting the clip.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2008 08:23PM

The box, as referenced on the other thread.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 01:30AM

Since I'm too lazy to download the audio clip or read back through the old thread (hey, at least I'm honest) - is my recollection right that Wilson hit the post on an empty net and then Cornell took it the other way for Nethery's tying goal just a few seconds later?

Edit to add: If I recall correctly, took a slap shot on the empty net, even, right?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2008 01:38AM by Josh '99.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: March 07, 2008 02:56AM

Damn. The hairs on the back of my neck still stand up everytime I hear that.

I hope that Randy is doing well. There is a Randy Wilson who is with the National Development Team. I assume it is the same RW. I see that he has spawned a successful hockey player:
[lssulakers.cstv.com]

I celebrated RWD by losing 7-1 in my rec league playoffs.

Posted by: heykb (131.249.80.---)
Date: March 07, 2008 09:44AM

He missed the post. It was a very casual wrist shot and it just scooted off to the right, "wide of the cage" as Roy said on the clip.

Hennessey was skating like a madman and went whizzing by Wilson to collect the puck and pass it up to Nethery. Wilson was kind of dawdling, he was in a daze that he had missed the shot. When Hennessey went by him, he woke up, but Randy was basically out of the play at that point.

Fwiw, Colin Greening's play reminds me a lot of Nethery. He could do worse than have that college career.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 10:36AM

heykb
He missed the post. It was a very casual wrist shot and it just scooted off to the right, "wide of the cage" as Roy said on the clip.
Gotcha. Guess I was thinking of someone else then.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2008 10:57AM

Josh '99
heykb

Maybe Nick Boucher?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 07, 2008 12:06PM

heykb

Hennessey was skating like a madman and went whizzing by Wilson to collect the puck and pass it up to Nethery. Wilson was kind of dawdling, he was in a daze that he had missed the shot. When Hennessey went by him, he woke up, but Randy was basically out of the play at that point.

Video of the whole sequence is embedded in the excellent "History of Lynah Rink" video available for streaming or download at [www.lynahrink.com] The footage of the game begins at about 4:08 and the Wilson play at 4:30. It's wonderful...as in "I'm full of wonder" every time I watch it.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.166.11.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 08:46PM

Josh '99
heykb

I always remembered it as an attempt at an "in your face" slapshot. Guess not.

Either way, it's wonderful to hear.

Posted by: marti mahoney-wilson (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 08:15PM

My husband is the Randy Wilson that you remember so fondly. He almost thanks God that he missed that empty net, because it enabled him to sign with Detroit and play for his Dad, the late Larry Wilson, for the Kansas City Red Wings. His Dad died at the age of 48 in August of 1979, of a massive coronary. Randy also played for his Uncle, the late Johnny Wilson in Springfield of the AHL. Randy was the only one of his brothers who had the privilege of playing for both his Dad and his Uncle. Lance Nethery actually gave Randy a copy of the tape of the game. Now he is the proud Dad of Brian Mahoney-Wilson, who was a San Jose draft pick his Junior year at Catholic Memorial High School in West Roxbury, Ma. Yes, the same school that gave you the Devin twins. Brian went to Lake Superior State University, where he was their goalie for 4 years. He now plays in the Central Hockey League. I am really glad that Randy will never be forgotten...even if it's for something as profound as missing a net.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 08:33PM

I'm glad to hear that that game had a nice silver lining for Randy. As fondly as Cornell fans remember that game it had to be pretty tough at the time for our opponents (which on a Cornell hockey board we're usually allowed to ignore). Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:06PM

Ditto. It's rare for someone to post like that. I really appreciate it. Even though we look back with fondness on that play, and love to play back that piece of radio or video, one nice thing about the hockey community, IMHO, is that in the end we do care about each other. Thank you, it's a great post to read as we go into the post-season.

Posted by: heykb (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:34PM

Oh that's right - that game was Randy's last game in college. He was able to go play professionally, pretty much immediately after the game in March of 1979. It's wonderful that Randy's association with the game is that it allowed him to have several months with his dad. I'm sure those memories trump anything that happened in Ithaca.

Thanks for stopping by, Marti. It's great to get the update on your son, too!

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:48PM

Thanks. Posts like this might force us to be civil to opponents. Excepting Harvard.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:49PM

It's amazing what a wonderful small world hockey is. Every time I hear the radio clip, it brings back wonderful memories of being there and photographing that game. Great to hear that Randy enjoyed a professional career and got to play for his Dad and Uncle. Three generations of hockey players...wonderful to hear. Thanks for sharing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 09:52PM by Larry72.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 09:58PM

RichH
heykb

Video of the whole sequence is embedded in the excellent "History of Lynah Rink" video available for streaming or download at [www.lynahrink.com] The footage of the game begins at about 4:08 and the Wilson play at 4:30. It's wonderful...as in "I'm full of wonder" every time I watch it.

Just looked for the video and that URL is now promoting some sort of anti-virus software. Anyone know where that video might be found now? (And yes, I searched quite a bit before posting, but came up empty.) Thanks!

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 10:21PM

Yep, there's definitely a problem with that link. Here's the clip -

You Tube

Larry

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2012 10:28PM

Thanks, Larry! Much appreciated.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 16, 2012 08:10AM

Thanks for sharing, Marti.

As the others said, while we like to remember that moment (vividly). I'd always heard he quit school in shame. It's nice to know that he really had other, better ambitions and that it all turned out well.

Posted by: cjbyrne771 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 09:47AM

Thanks, Marti! Glad to know Randy's doing OK!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2012 01:47PM

Larry72

You Tube

Larry
Tangent: Lynah looks different in this video, and not just because of the lack of ads on the boards - were the corners tighter (i.e. smaller radius) back in the day?

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 16, 2012 02:51PM

Josh '99
Larry72

You Tube

Larry
Tangent: Lynah looks different in this video, and not just because of the lack of ads on the boards - were the corners tighter (i.e. smaller radius) back in the day?

Also, and I know this has only been discussed a billion times here but seeing the video makes it clearer, were the boards along the side half the height they are now (with the ones at the ends being the usual height)?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: dag14 (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 04:38PM

I am fairly sure the corners are the same since it would take major construction to alter them. The boards are approximately the same height as they are now but the glass was way shorter back then. That's why it was so easy for fans to swarm over them to celebrate. It also made it easy for the guy to climb over the glass carrying a live chicken to greet the Harvard goalie when he skated out for the 2nd/3rd period [can't remember which since the home team end of the rink has changed at least once since I have been watching Cornell hockey].

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2012 10:29PM

dag14
I am fairly sure the corners are the same since it would take major construction to alter them. The boards are approximately the same height as they are now but the glass was way shorter back then. That's why it was so easy for fans to swarm over them to celebrate. It also made it easy for the guy to climb over the glass carrying a live chicken to greet the Harvard goalie when he skated out for the 2nd/3rd period [can't remember which since the home team end of the rink has changed at least once since I have been watching Cornell hockey].
I'll agree on the corners. The rule book has changed on the specified radius (28' in '68-'69, 20' now), but they certainly aren't going to make changes.
Back then, the boards "should be 3 feet or more in height." By '74-'75, they demanded 42 to 48 inches. Now, it's "not less than 40 inches and not more than 48 inches," with an ideal of 42 inches.
In '68-'69 they had to specify "Protective screen of a heavy gauge wire or safety glass is recommended for protection of spectators around the rink above the side and end-boards except at the bench areas." Interestingly, although "the glass" is mentioned now, I can find anything specifying its height. Perhaps the NCAA doesn't want the liability of saying what's safe? For what it's worth, when I first started watching Cornell hockey at Lynah there was neither glass nor protective screen except at the ends.
Back in the day, the rules said that the ref flipped a coin and the winner got to choose ends. Somehow Cornell ignored that and always defended the east end first and third period. Before the recent additions, the west end was a fairly blank surface against which it was much easier for the goalie to see the puck. Then other teams, Harvard if I remember correctly, complained. Now the rule is that home team chooses. (Another advantage of the higher seed in a tournament.) I don't remember when that changed.

Date: March 17, 2012 12:03AM

David Harding
dag14
I'll agree on the corners. The rule book has changed on the specified radius (28' in '68-'69, 20' now), but they certainly aren't going to make changes.
Back then, the boards "should be 3 feet or more in height." By '74-'75, they demanded 42 to 48 inches. Now, it's "not less than 40 inches and not more than 48 inches," with an ideal of 42 inches.
In '68-'69 they had to specify "Protective screen of a heavy gauge wire or safety glass is recommended for protection of spectators around the rink above the side and end-boards except at the bench areas." Interestingly, although "the glass" is mentioned now, I can find anything specifying its height. Perhaps the NCAA doesn't want the liability of saying what's safe? For what it's worth, when I first started watching Cornell hockey at Lynah there was neither glass nor protective screen except at the ends.
Back in the day, the rules said that the ref flipped a coin and the winner got to choose ends. Somehow Cornell ignored that and always defended the east end first and third period. Before the recent additions, the west end was a fairly blank surface against which it was much easier for the goalie to see the puck. Then other teams, Harvard if I remember correctly, complained. Now the rule is that home team chooses. (Another advantage of the higher seed in a tournament.) I don't remember when that changed.

IIRC Cornell defended the west end in the mid-80s but switched because the scoreboard being on the west wall means the goalie has to look over his shoulder to see it, plus that was the end with the zamboni door bounce before they fixed it circa 2000.

Date: March 17, 2012 03:35AM

Larry, seeing this amazing video a couple times before heading to Atlantic City affirmed that there was a time when Cornell could come back from a 4-goal deficit early in the third period.

Posted by: Larry72 (74.11.242.---)
Date: March 17, 2012 08:47AM

Yes, there was a time. And the optimist in me says it will be possible again, but unfortunately not Friday night in Atlantic city.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-251-122.myvzw.com)
Date: March 17, 2012 01:22PM

billhoward
Larry, seeing this amazing video a couple times before heading to Atlantic City affirmed that there was a time when Cornell could come back from a 4-goal deficit early in the third period.

Those Nethery-led teams were offensive juggernauts.....The current ones? Not so much....

-Ned Harkness

Date: March 17, 2012 02:06PM

redice
billhoward
Those Nethery-led teams were offensive juggernauts.....The current ones? Not so much....
Cornell was high-scoring, the league lacked depth, and the emphasis was on scoring as well as defense. Dave Peace, a very good (All-America) player in the mid 1970s but not a Lance Nethery, had something like 60 points in a season (63, 1975). Now our style of play emphasizes defense and it made us the dominant ECAC team of the Schafer era. But it also means when we're down by 2 in the third, we're pretty much toast.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 17, 2012 02:51PM

dag14

They aren't exactly the same because there was a door in front of Section G.

Posted by: finchphil (64.119.143.---)
Date: March 06, 2014 12:00PM

35 years

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 06, 2014 12:08PM

This thread is so old the box score link points to an architecture that's years out of date. Here's the new one.

And the video link:

Good times.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 12:14PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 07, 2014 06:20AM

35 years. Back then, Cornell students must have been shorter. The fans are on their feet, stomping and cheering, and not one obstructs the camera.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2014 01:35PM

The cameras were placed a bit higher and no top two to three rows of seats. The glass was much lower then -- easier to climb over. Roy Ives (the radio voice of the Big Red back then) stopped over at our shop a few weeks ago. He's doing fine and gets to a number of Cornell games each season along with his son and grandson.

Posted by: ScrewBUHarvardtoo (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2015 04:18PM

Happy Randy Wilson Day everybody! Would have loved to be there for that. Here's a new article from the Big Red Sports Network about that great day 36 years ago: [bigredsportsnetwork.org]

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 06, 2015 04:29PM

ScrewBUHarvardtoo
Happy Randy Wilson Day everybody! Would have loved to be there for that. Here's a new article from the Big Red Sports Network about that great day 36 years ago: [bigredsportsnetwork.org]

I was there. Thanks for bringing back the memory of the best period and a quarter of hockey I've ever seen.

I can't say it was the best game I've ever seen since I missed the first two periods for a Chem 208 exam.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2015 04:36PM

Thanks

Posted by: cbuckser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2015 05:57PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ScrewBUHarvardtoo

I was there. Thanks for bringing back the memory of the best period and a quarter of hockey I've ever seen.

I can't say it was the best game I've ever seen since I missed the first two periods for a Chem 208 exam.
For years, I had thought that you ditched the prelim for the hockey game.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: March 06, 2015 07:05PM

cbuckser
Jeff Hopkins '82
ScrewBUHarvardtoo

Ditto. I remember the score of the game. I have no idea what grade I got in Chem 208.

Posted by: redice (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2015 08:05PM

That WAS the greatest sporting event that I've ever attended.

I will never forget the euphoria that came with Nethery & Gemmell's goals. Unbelievable.

-Ned Harkness

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 06, 2015 10:26PM

Roy 82
cbuckser
Jeff Hopkins '82
ScrewBUHarvardtoo

Ditto. I remember the score of the game. I have no idea what grade I got in Chem 208.

I tried really hard (along with about a dozen other studenhts) to get the exam re-scheduled, or to take a make-up exam, but Professor Fay was a real dick and wouldn't move it or allow a make-up. Once in the room, I let the TA's know repeatedly I had a hockey game to get to. I tried to get them to start the exam early in my session, but they wouldn't (and they were pissed at Fay for making them miss the game, too). I even hummed "O Canada" during the exam at 7:30 as they passed out the tests. I breezed through the exam in about an hour, handed in my test, and rushed to Lynah, only to find the lights out, the game stopped...and the score 3-1 Providence.

The rest, as they say, is history.

I got an A on the prelim and in Chem 208. I am, after all, a ChemE.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 05:26AM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.cst.lightpath.net)
Date: March 06, 2015 11:05PM

Of course, the Providence coach in that game was Lou Lamoriello...who is currently behind the New Jersey Devils bench (for now).

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.129.41.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 07, 2015 05:28AM

Iceberg
Of course, the Providence coach in that game was Lou Lamoriello...who is currently behind the New Jersey Devils bench (for now).

"Shut up, Lou! Shut up, Lou!"

Actually I read somewhere (maybe here?) that he said that game was the best game he'd ever seen, too, even though he was on the losing end.

Date: March 07, 2015 10:23AM

Iceberg

Also behind the creation of Hockey (L)East if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login