Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Yost

Posted by ninian '72 
Yost
Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: March 04, 2008 11:09AM

Nice article in today's USA Today on Yost. It devotes a lot of attention to the fans and atmosphere and expectedly fails to appreciate who showed them the ropes.

Re: Yost
Posted by: redice (---.157.11.245.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 04:36PM

USA Today:
The players said the crowd ignited them. It really was like the crowd willed them to win."

I remember the times when that used to happened in Ithaca. I can recall several instances, in close games, someone in our group would say: "hey, let's get these guys a goal!" The yelling would begin (usually LGR), work its way around Lynah, getting louder all the time. Then, on came the red light!! Honestly, it didn't work every time. But, it sure did change the game!!

The playoffs are here. The team needs an emotional boost. Wouldn't be nice if the Lynah Faithful "willed them to win"?

This has to start by getting to each game early. That means being in/on your seat when the team comes out for warm-ups.

And, stay loud!! Don't just cheer the good things. Yell proactively to inspire the team.

And, last but not least, never again let it be said about the Lynah Faithful: they (that would be DC, this weekend) took the Cornell crowd out of the game. That happened far too many times this season.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 04, 2008 05:18PM

redice
USA Today:
The players said the crowd ignited them. It really was like the crowd willed them to win."

I remember the times when that used to happened in Ithaca. I can recall several instances, in close games, someone in our group would say: "hey, let's get these guys a goal!" The yelling would begin (usually LGR), work its way around Lynah, getting louder all the time. Then, on came the red light!! Honestly, it didn't work every time. But, it sure did change the game!!

The playoffs are here. The team needs an emotional boost. Wouldn't be nice if the Lynah Faithful "willed them to win"?

This has to start by getting to each game early. That means being in/on your seat when the team comes out for warm-ups.

And, stay loud!! Don't just cheer the good things. Yell proactively to inspire the team.

And, last but not least, never again let it be said about the Lynah Faithful: they (that would be DC, this weekend) took the Cornell crowd out of the game. That happened far too many times this season.

You beat me to it, redice. Great point. I can think of at least 3-4 instances of this exact phenomenon. Whether it was real or not, there was that feeling that by getting loud, sustained, noise at a crucial part of the game, we played a part in getting a big win. It was a crescendo effect, capped off by an explosion. The players seemed to feed of the energy. And that noise could be started by anything... a big hit, an important kill of a penalty, or something completely unexpected. Everybody would get into it. It's an instictive trait of Lynah Dynamics.

When it happened, there was no begging "townies up." That side knew when it was happening and what to do. Similarly, chanting "townies up" for every single game, especially for 6-0 blowouts is kind of stale, tired, and meaningless now. It's a chore. The townies are knowlegable. They know when they're needed on their feet.

Along that vein, I again quote the article:

USAToday
Yost faithful are knowledgeable fans who will do anything to get their Wolverines an edge. "If we don't bring it in the first period, the crowd will let us know, 'Hey, wake up,' " Summers says. "It's not just the student section. It's the entire arena."

That's how it had been done in Ithaca. Now, maybe after the years of great success, when the fans see something less than acceptable, they just sit there, sulking. Or stunned that CU is playing that way. It's the old "took the crowd out of the game" syndrome, as redice said. If anything, shouts should rain down when a wake up call is needed.

Date: March 04, 2008 05:34PM

ninian '72
Nice article in today's USA Today on Yost. It devotes a lot of attention to the fans and atmosphere and expectedly fails to appreciate who showed them the ropes.

For those relatively new folks around here, what ninian is referencing is a popular true story that Michigan & Yost fans stole just about all their cheers from the visiting Cornell fans at the 1991 NCAA QFs. Generally, CU fans over at USCHO inject that tidbit when people crow about how great Yost's cheers are.

[umich.edu]

also, buried near the bottom of this page is an article from the Ann Arbor paper about the connection:

"Our program was coming but when we played Cornell, our building just changed," Berenson said. "The Cornell fans brought a lot of theior chants and their tradition to this building. From then on our crowd has taken off."

Posted by: oceanst41 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 07:01PM

One of my favorite (and loudest) games I was in attendance for was a matchup in '03-'04 against Brown and 2004 Hobey finalist (;-)) Danis. Cornell was down 3-1 coming into the 3rd, and you could tell the crowd knew Cornell was going to have to have one of its best periods to get a point out of the game. Right away they had a big opportunity with a carry over powerplay, which they scored on. For the rest of the game the crowd was buzzing, and nearly blew the roof off when Moulson tied the game up with under 5 to go. The crowd, and maybe a little bit of Cornell's intensity, was able to spur on a 20-4 shot advantage during the 3rd and OT. One of the most satisfying games to walk out of even though it was only a tie.

Posted by: redice (---.154.216.147.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 07:58PM

RichH

When it happened, there was no begging "townies up." That side knew when it was happening and what to do. Similarly, chanting "townies up" for every single game, especially for 6-0 blowouts is kind of stale, tired, and meaningless now. It's a chore. The townies are knowlegable. They know when they're needed on their feet.

Don't get me started on that "townies up" crap!!!

My wife has health issues that make prolonged standing a problem for her. So, because the people in front of us mindlessly stand up....because they are told to stand, my wife rarely gets to see the final moments of home games.

Not to mention the fact that it's ridiculous to think that we "more mature" folks, who have forgotten more about hockey than many the 18-22 year olds on the other side of the ice will ever know, need to be told when to stand. As you wrote Rich, "the townies are knowledgeable." End of rant.. moon

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 08:18PM

redice
RichH

Don't get me started on that "townies up" crap!!!

My wife has health issues that make prolonged standing a problem for her. So, because the people in front of us mindlessly stand up....because they are told to stand, my wife rarely gets to see the final moments of home games.

Not to mention the fact that it's ridiculous to think that we "more mature" folks, who have forgotten more about hockey than many the 18-22 year olds on the other side of the ice will ever know, need to be told when to stand. As you wrote Rich, "the townies are knowledgeable." End of rant.. moon

Seconded.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 10:13PM

redice

Now get off my lawn!

FYP.

Sorry. I see (and agree with) your point, but...I couldn't resist.

**]

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 10:18AM

RichH
For those relatively new folks around here, what ninian is referencing is a popular true story that Michigan & Yost fans stole just about all their cheers from the visiting Cornell fans at the 1991 NCAA QFs.

It should probably be pointed out that this was a bit of a two-way street... "Aaaaaaaaahhh, SEE-YAH" came to Lynah with those same Cornell fans from the '91 series at Michigan.

Date: March 06, 2008 12:17PM

Give My Regards
RichH
For those relatively new folks around here, what ninian is referencing is a popular true story that Michigan & Yost fans stole just about all their cheers from the visiting Cornell fans at the 1991 NCAA QFs.

It should probably be pointed out that this was a bit of a two-way street... "Aaaaaaaaahhh, SEE-YAH" came to Lynah with those same Cornell fans from the '91 series at Michigan.

Absolutely, and I did have that fact in my post originally, but deleted it for succinctness. However:

1) They stole THAT from Duke basketball.

2) We bring back one cheer, and they take EVERYTHING ELSE...hardly equitable. ;-)

For a cheer evolutionist, it is pretty interesting to see how each fanbase altered the cheers from that singular departure point. Independently, the "see ya" cheer had tags added onto it by both...at UM it got to the point where the admin tried to stop that cheer altogether due to the string of obscenities (including former Colgate forward Wildfong) added on. The goal count-off at Michigan has to be initiated by the band screaming "ready!" etc. etc.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 06, 2008 12:53PM

RichH
For a cheer evolutionist, it is pretty interesting to see how each fanbase altered the cheers from that singular departure point. Independently, the "see ya" cheer had tags added onto it by both...at UM it got to the point where the admin tried to stop that cheer altogether due to the string of obscenities (including former Colgate forward Wildfong) added on. The goal count-off at Michigan has to be initiated by the band screaming "ready!" etc. etc.
Dan Wildfong update, (possibly) final edition:

It appears that Wildfong decided to hang 'em up last summer. In eight seasons with the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs (current team of Dan Pegoraro), Wildfong racked up an amazing 1,970 penalty minutes (plus another 319 over the course of seven trips to the playoffs) to go with 192 goals and 302 assists. Not a bad career for the fourth or fifth best player from a mediocre Colgate team.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 04:55PM

Regarding stolen cheers, nothing is new under the sun.

We stole "Winning Team, Losing Team" from NoDak at the 1980 NCAAs and the newspapers during introductions from the University of Scranton basketball fans.

All I can say is keep doing it and new traditions will be created.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2008 05:50PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

We stole "Winning Team, Losing Team" from NoDak at the 1980 NCAAs and the newspapers during introductions from the University of Scranton basketball fans.

...and the "black hole" cheer, sad as it may be to admit it, from Hahvahd. Though they did it differently, IIRC - they would yell, "Hey, Cory, you're not a goalie, you're a sieve!" then stop... as much as a minute later, they'd do, "Hey, Cory, you're not a sieve, you're a funnel!" then stop... etc.

I know, it's hard to believe Hahvahd hockey fans ever cared about the game nearly enough to have an organized goalie-snubbing cheer.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 06, 2008 05:59PM

Beeeej
...and the "black hole" cheer, sad as it may be to admit it, from Hahvahd. Though they did it differently, IIRC - they would yell, "Hey, Cory, you're not a goalie, you're a sieve!" then stop... as much as a minute later, they'd do, "Hey, Cory, you're not a sieve, you're a funnel!" then stop... etc.
I guess we can stop complaining about the new kids speeding up the cheers now. j/k - the kids speeding up cheers now are totally wrong and are ruining my good time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2008 06:00PM by ugarte.

Posted by: Rich S (209.212.23.---)
Date: March 06, 2008 07:46PM

Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82

Sorry Beeeeej,

We were doing the "goalie...sieve...funnel" cheer at least as far back as Fall '70 at Clarkson. Could well be that it was done years prior to that as well.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2008 05:44AM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: redice (---.154.217.169.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 06, 2008 09:23PM

Rich S
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82

Sorry Beeeeej,

We were doing the "goalie...sieve...funnel" cheer at least as far back as Fall '70 at Clarkson. Could well be that it was done years prior to that as well.

What?? Bruce Bullock wasn't that bad!! ;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2008 05:43AM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2008 11:12PM

Rich S
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82

Sorry Beeeeej,

Don't know what you're apologizing for, but there's nothing inconsistent about Clarkson doing it in 1970 and Cornell having stolen it at some point from Harvard. Harvard may have stolen it from Clarkson, or Clarkson from either Cornell or Harvard. The salient point was that it didn't start with the Big Red.

Perhaps someone who was at Cornell at the time it was pilfered, from wherever, can shed more light on it - but that would not be me.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: March 07, 2008 03:07AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

IIRC, the WTLT cheer was from UNH at the 1979 ECACs at the Gahden. They beat Dartmouth in the finals that year. Cornell played BU in the consolation game. BTW, that BU team had a goalie named Jim Craig. I wonder whatever happened to him.:)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 10:39AM

Roy 82
IIRC, the WTLT cheer was from UNH at the 1979 ECACs at the Gahden.
UNH's "winning team, losing team" cheer is (at present, though maybe not then) a bunch longer than ours.

Just thought I'd mention since there's an "Entertaining Cheers" thread going on on USCHO at the moment.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 07, 2008 11:04AM

Josh '99
Roy 82
IIRC, the WTLT cheer was from UNH at the 1979 ECACs at the Gahden.
UNH's "winning team, losing team" cheer is (at present, though maybe not then) a bunch longer than ours.

Just thought I'd mention since there's an "Entertaining Cheers" thread going on on USCHO at the moment.
So I probably should jump on, write "You stole everything from Cornell!" and then not check back.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.166.11.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 08:54PM

Roy 82
Jeff Hopkins '82

IIRC, the WTLT cheer was from UNH at the 1979 ECACs at the Gahden. They beat Dartmouth in the finals that year. Cornell played BU in the consolation game. BTW, that BU team had a goalie named Jim Craig. I wonder whatever happened to him.:)

Really? I don't remember it during that tourney. All I remember was 6000 fans going "UNH! UNH!" over and over again (and beting Jim Craig in the consy 7-4). I do remember the cheer from '80 in Providence, with a bunch of fat old men in ugly green suits pointing back and forth.

But you were closer friends with Mike than I was, Roy, so you likely know that history better.

Posted by: jy3 (---.bflony.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 09:33PM

btw, did anyone educate Kevin Allen about the yost-cornell connection?
I could not find an email, though I did not put much energy into it

Posted by: Dpperk29 (12.45.241.---)
Date: March 07, 2008 09:48PM

Early reports from the playoffs is that the Lynah Faithful have stolen Clarkson's "Huah Huah Huah" 300 style chant...

Posted by: Doug '08 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 10:06PM

Dpperk29
Early reports from the playoffs is that the Lynah Faithful have stolen Clarkson's "Huah Huah Huah" 300 style chant...

yup, noticed that as well, but hey its alright because all your chants are movie quotes anyway, right??

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2008 02:57AM

Doug '08
Dpperk29

yup, noticed that as well, but hey its alright because all your chants are movie quotes anyway, right??

Should fans of any team besides Michigan State be using that cheer? screwy

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2008 01:37PM

jtwcornell91
Doug '08
Dpperk29

Should fans of any team besides Michigan State be using that cheer? screwy
San Jose State? :-}

Posted by: BMac (132.236.105.---)
Date: March 08, 2008 02:00PM

The 300 dog-barking style cheer came from the fact that we were already doing a 300 cheer- "This is madness! THIS IS LYNAH!"

And that cheer, good sirs, came from one Jesse "Cannibal," in Section A, from the Shake, one of Cornell's club Ultimate teams. We started doing that in Ultimate tourneys last spring break, after the team went to see 300 together in the theaters.

See? Now, 25 years from now when people are wondering who stole what, we have the entire chronology cataloged here. Thank God for Elf.

Posted by: redice (---.154.222.238.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 04:03PM

During the Friday night Dartmouth game, did I hear the "you suck Johnson" cheer correctly? If so, congratulations & how did that escape the watchful eyes/ears of the Lynah ushers? (I know, I know, ears can't be watchful ;-) )

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 04:04PM

Went to see BU vs PC last night (my first visit to Agganis). Couldn't help but notice that their band played "Hey Bâby." I thought that originated with Cornell, but I guess we must have stole it from BU.doh

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2008 04:12PM

redice
During the Friday night Dartmouth game, did I hear the "you suck Johnson" cheer correctly? If so, congratulations & how did that escape the watchful eyes/ears of the Lynah ushers? (I know, I know, ears can't be watchful ;-) )

you heard correctly. The ushers will occasionally warn an individual if he or she is 'specifically targeting and being derogatory towards one player" (which is a ridiculous policy, so long as there is no cursing involved), but you can't warn a whole section.

And as for any sexual innuendo involving mr Johnson's last name, well I can assure you that this was not what the pure and noble minds of the section A fans intended =).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 05:16PM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: redice (---.154.222.238.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 04:21PM

evilnaturedrobot

And as for any sexual innuendo involving mr Johnson's last name, well I can assure that this was not what the pure and noble minds of the section A fans intended =).

None taken, of course ;-)

Date: March 08, 2008 05:13PM

Swampy
Went to see BU vs PC last night (my first visit to Agganis). Couldn't help but notice that their band played "Hey Bâby." I thought that originated with Cornell, but I guess we must have stole it from BU.doh
Eh, it's a pop song. I think you'd have a hard time tracing it's "origin" (as used at hockey games) to any one particular school. (If they used our "I wanna know when you'll kill someone" lyrics that's a different story.)

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 01:50PM

Josh '99
Swampy
Eh, it's a pop song. I think you'd have a hard time tracing it's "origin" (as used at hockey games) to any one particular school. (If they used our "I wanna know when you'll kill someone" lyrics that's a different story.)

Somebody kick me the next time I try to use sarcasm on this site. bang

Date: March 09, 2008 10:19PM

Swampy
Josh '99
Swampy

Somebody kick me the next time I try to use sarcasm on this site. bang
Sorry, I guess my needs to be calibrated.

Posted by: RedintheGreen (---.dartmouth.edu)
Date: March 09, 2008 11:07PM

Well I am glad that no one has tried to copy Clarkson's BONESAW. That is just ridiculous

Posted by: BMac (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2008 08:03AM

We did have quite a bit of fun towards the end last night by counting Mike Devine's goals for him, veeeeeeery slooooowly.

ONE!
TWO!
THREE!
FOUR!
FIVE!
SIX!
WE
WANT
MORE!
SIEEEEEEEVE...

etc.

Posted by: RazzBaronZ (146.203.126.---)
Date: March 11, 2008 03:50AM

BMac
We did have quite a bit of fun towards the end last night by counting Mike Devine's goals for him, veeeeeeery slooooowly.

ONE!
TWO!
THREE!
FOUR!
FIVE!
SIX!
WE
WANT
MORE!
SIEEEEEEEVE...

etc.

Well done, I always love it when the fans have enough discipline to make the cheer better. The extra-slow "sieve" chants last year were great, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login