Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Amanda Mazzotta - Awesome Goalie

Posted by Towerroad 
Amanda Mazzotta - Awesome Goalie
Posted by: Towerroad (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 10:09AM

Amanda Mazzotta was awesome yesterday. She kept the Red in the game for 6 periods and made some super saves. The team played very well but she stood out in my book, 61 saves! I believe she also holds the single season shut out record at 11.

So, to create a little controversy:

1. If she keeps this up will she be the best Cornell goalkeeper ever?

2. Could she play on the Men's team if she wanted to?

Re: Amanda Mazzotta - Awesome Goalie
Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 10:32AM

1. No.
2. No.

But she is an excellent goaltender.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 22, 2010 11:28AM

Towerroad
Amanda Mazzotta was awesome yesterday. She kept the Red in the game for 6 periods and made some super saves. The team played very well but she stood out in my book, 61 saves! I believe she also holds the single season shut out record at 11.

So, to create a little controversy:

1. If she keeps this up will she be the best Cornell goalkeeper ever?

2. Could she play on the Men's team if she wanted to?
You couldn't be creating less controversy. Ben Scrivens hasn't given up a goal in three games. She isn't the best Cornell goalkeeper right now.

But, as Trotsky said, she is an excellent goaltender.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 11:28AM by ugarte.

Date: March 22, 2010 11:42AM

I agree that right now Scrivens is the college best goalkeeper in the country. But best in Cornell history, in my opinion, has to be judged based on a body of work. The question I asked was would Amanda qualify if she kept up the pace for the next 2 years?

As a corollary is if fair to compare men's and women's records?

Regardless we all agree she is excellent!

Date: March 22, 2010 02:21PM

It's probably possible in principle to compare between the mens and women team, but there's a little matter of Mr. Dryden to deal with whenever you're talking about the "best goalie in Cornell history."
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 03:13PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.somas.stonybrook.edu)
Date: March 22, 2010 02:34PM

Trotsky
ugarte
You couldn't be creating less controversy. Ben Scrivens hasn't given up a goal in three games. She isn't the best Cornell goalkeeper right now.

They are (AFAIK) a couple. So they could MAKE the greatest goaltender ever, unt rule ze vurld!

Pretty sure that Scrivens's girlfriend is a former women's team goalie who left the team before this season. You can figure it out from there, I feel intrusive enough in these people's private business.

Posted by: munchkin (---.c3-0.sbo-ubr4.sbo.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 02:36PM

Scrivens' gf is Jenny Niesluchowski, not Amanda Mazzotta.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 22, 2010 02:37PM

imafrshmn
Pretty sure that Scrivens's girlfriend is a former women's team goalie who left the team before this season. You can figure it out from there, I feel intrusive enough in these people's private business.
Is it okay if I PM you for details?

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.somas.stonybrook.edu)
Date: March 22, 2010 02:39PM

munchkin

Spoken like a seasoned groupie. :-P

Date: March 22, 2010 03:05PM

Really, shouldn't we leave the fine folks personal lives to themselves. This is a little too middle school.

Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 22, 2010 03:06PM

munchkin

Reason enough to re-watch the 1/3 game vs. UNH and the post-game interview where Ben gives a "shout-out" to his gf (I can't remember if he mentioned her name or just gf).

Date: March 22, 2010 03:08PM

I will happily nm and suggest the responders do.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2010 03:11PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 22, 2010 03:24PM

Trotsky
It's probably possible in principle to compare between the mens and women team, but there's a little matter of Mr. Dryden to deal with whenever you're talking about the "best goalie in Cornell history."

It is a very high bar, I agree, but she has earned an A+ on the first prelim in my book. If she keeps it up then she clearly deserves to be mentioned in Cornell goalie pantheon.

Date: March 22, 2010 03:56PM

Towerroad
Trotsky

It is a very high bar, I agree, but she has earned an A+ on the first prelim in my book. If she keeps it up then she clearly deserves to be mentioned in Cornell goalie pantheon.

Agreed. Her performance in the NCAA was outstanding.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 03:04PM

Same problem as McKee playing NCAA powerhouses: They're only good for about 60 saves a game and 1-2 OTs. Otherwise, she was awesome.

Makes me think about going to see a couple more Cornell at Princeton women's games. Imagine if the CCNJ or CCPhilly or both organized an event that got 50 or 100 Cornellians into the stands at the Hobey.

Date: March 23, 2010 03:11PM

I was going to go to the Harvard game but family obligations got in the way. Next year for sure. If you play into the second overtime period then the teams are even in my book and it is just the bounce of the puck. We had our chances and they had theirs and in the end theirs went past he goalie first. No disrespect implied to UMD they won fair and square.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 03:49PM

Towerroad
I was going to go to the Harvard game but family obligations got in the way. Next year for sure. If you play into the second overtime period then the teams are even in my book and it is just the bounce of the puck. We had our chances and they had theirs and in the end theirs went past he goalie first. No disrespect implied to UMD they won fair and square.

Plus we were a split second from the player coming out of the box stealing the puck and having a pretty good breakaway. Hockey, like football, can be a game of inches.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: philmaywalt (68.70.12.---)
Date: March 23, 2010 03:59PM

A truly amazing game and an amazing group of ladies. I split screened the women's game and the men's basketball. I just couldn't miss the end of one or the start of the other!

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 04:27PM

French Rage
Towerroad

Plus we were a split second from the player coming out of the box stealing the puck and having a pretty good breakaway. Hockey, like football, can be a game of inches.
A couple inches here, a first down there against Dartmouth, and we would've been 3-7 rather than 2-8.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 04:33PM

billhoward
French Rage
Towerroad

A couple inches here, a first down there against Dartmouth, and we would've been 3-7 rather than 2-8.

Yale makes that 2 point conversion and we could have been 1-9, too.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 04:44PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
French Rage
Towerroad

We have a football team now? Is that why the turf for our graduation had those lines and numbers all over the place?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 04:47PM

French Rage
Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
French Rage
Towerroad

We have a football team now? Is that why the turf for our graduation had those lines and numbers all over the place?
Why yes. In fact we even have two football teams. :-P

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 06:41PM

KeithK
French Rage
Jeff Hopkins '82
billhoward
French Rage
Towerroad

Yes we do! Men's football:

[clear]

And women's football:

[clear]

:-D
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2010 11:01PM by Josh '99.

Posted by: sockralex (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 07:01PM

Josh '99
Edit to add: Can anyone tell me why the layout of that post is all wrong?

For everyone who has had issues with pictures, courtesy of billhoward:

You put {clear} but using brackets not squiggly brackets after each picture and they line up vertically.

{img}link{/img}{clear} where {} should really be [ and ]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 08:23PM

Towerroad
Well, if you mean even in goals I'd agree, but UMD was much stronger in at least the last half of the second OT and the third. That might have been because of our short bench, but they certainly seemed to have more gas than us. We couldn't even shoot the puck out of the zone on that PK. I was cheering crazily, but UMD deserved to win. Now when we get more bodies, let's go at it again. Our individual talent was certainly equal.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2010 11:01PM

sockralex
Josh '99
Edit to add: Can anyone tell me why the layout of that post is all wrong?

For everyone who has had issues with pictures, courtesy of billhoward:

You put {clear} but using brackets not squiggly brackets after each picture and they line up vertically.

{img}link{/img}{clear} where {} should really be [ and ]
Thanks. Dunno why it needs to work that way, but now I know, at least.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 23, 2010 11:39PM

Josh '99
KeithK
French Rage

<snip>

And women's football:

<snip>
I wasn't referring to metric football.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: March 24, 2010 12:11AM

KeithK
Josh '99
KeithK
French Rage

<snip>

And women's football:

<snip>

That makes no sense. You must mean "meterball".

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 12:49AM

Roy 82
KeithK
Josh '99
KeithK
French Rage

<snip>

And women's football:

<snip>

That makes no sense. You must mean "meterball".
I agree it makes no sense. Use your hands!

Posted by: Towerroad (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 08:07AM

Jim Hyla
Towerroad
Well, if you mean even in goals I'd agree, but UMD was much stronger in at least the last half of the second OT and the third. That might have been because of our short bench, but they certainly seemed to have more gas than us. We couldn't even shoot the puck out of the zone on that PK. I was cheering crazily, but UMD deserved to win. Now when we get more bodies, let's go at it again. Our individual talent was certainly equal.
I agree that the Red looked "gassed" by the middle of the second and had individually played more hockey than UMD. Still they had their chances in the 3rd.

Hopefully this performance can be a building block in the recruiting program. Given that there are fewer professional opportunities among women hockey players the lure of an ivy education might figure more prominently in the decisions of prospective players if it also includes the opportunity to play for an elite hockey program

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2010 09:49AM

KeithK
Josh '99
KeithK
French Rage

<snip>

And women's football:

<snip>
Heh, "metric football", I like that.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 09:55AM

Might the women's team have groupies, too?

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.nyc.gov)
Date: March 24, 2010 10:19AM

billhoward

I covered them for The Sun for two years. I was the closest thing to a groupie they had.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2010 11:14AM

Greenberg '97
billhoward

I covered them for The Sun for two years. I was the closest thing to a groupie they had.
From what I saw, Tom Lento and Dan Babitz '98 were pretty much groupies, too. ;-)

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 07:27PM

Kyle Rose
Greenberg '97
billhoward

From what I saw, Tom Lento and Dan Babitz '98 were pretty much groupies, too. ;-)

To be fair, Dan covered the team for 2 years for the Sun and I covered the team for a season for a now-defunct college hockey magazine.

Also, I believe you were the only one of us with a serious crush on a player who shall remain nameless. :p

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login