Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hobey Watch - USCHO blog

Posted by ajh258 
Hobey Watch - USCHO blog
Posted by: ajh258 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 17, 2010 10:23AM

[www.uscho.com]

The author mentioned Scrivens as a finalist for Hobey Hat Trick:

Ben Scrivens, senior, goaltender, Cornell – Scrivens made a great “closing statement” in the Big Red’s ECAC quarterfinal series against Harvard, stopping 42 of 43 shots in a two-game sweep of Harvard. That leaves him No. 2 in the country in both goals-against average (1.89) and save percentage (.933), and that should be enough to make him a finalist, regardless of whatever doubts exist about goalies who thrive in Cornell’s system.

He also picked Polacek, and I though his reasoning was intersting:

When I sized up the contenders a couple of weeks ago, I listed two ECAC Hockey players as “On Solid Ground.” One was Polacek, the other was Yale’s Broc Little. Well, a couple of things happened since I wrote that. One, Both Polacek and Little saw their teams eliminated from the ECAC Hockey playoffs by Brown. Two, Ben Scrivens solidified his hold on a spot. I don’t think there will be three finalists from ECAC Hockey, so somebody’s got to go, and I think it’s Little. Yale’s quarterfinal loss to Brown made a strong case that the absent Sean Backman, not Little, is the key player for Yale, and given that Backman was injured under circumstances that can be charitably described as “ill-advised,” it’s not like he’ll be picking up the votes. On top of that, Little is one reasonably equal part of a very balanced Yale attack, where Polacek was clearly “the man” for RPI, both in terms of overall scoring and in terms of his clutch performance.

So, I guess on a side note, it wouldn't be surprising if Polacek win POTY as well.

Re: Hobey Watch - USCHO blog
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 17, 2010 11:54AM

Cheverie of Denver has a better saves percentage, more shutouts in essentially the same number of games, and plays in a higher scoring conference (by reputation if not by fact). He's only weaker than Ben by 0.005 in GAA. The only thing is that Cheverie is a junior and Ben is a senior. Add to that the burden of "The System" and Scrivens has a bunch of things going against him.

At best, he might get to the three finalists because he's a senior, but I doubt he'd win it all.

Posted by: ajh258 (---.johnson.cornell.edu)
Date: March 17, 2010 01:18PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Cheverie of Denver has a better saves percentage, more shutouts in essentially the same number of games, and plays in a higher scoring conference (by reputation if not by fact). He's only weaker than Ben by 0.005 in GAA. The only thing is that Cheverie is a junior and Ben is a senior. Add to that the burden of "The System" and Scrivens has a bunch of things going against him.

At best, he might get to the three finalists because he's a senior, but I doubt he'd win it all.

Ya I know he won't win but it's just something I read that I thought was worth mentioning.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 05:34AM

Raise your hand if at the beginning of the season you thought Ben might be considered for HHT.

Me neither.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 12:19PM

Trotsky
Raise your hand if at the beginning of the season you thought Ben might be considered for HHT.

Me neither.
Why not? Among returning goalies*, in 2008-09 he had the best GAA and the third-best SV% (and only .003 back of the guy who had the best SV% among returning goalies), and was the undisputed starter for a team with a defense-first system that was one of the favorites in its conference and had NCAA aspirations. Plus a couple of rising senior forwards who might have been favorites (Ryan Stoa and Viktor Stalberg) left early. Doesn't seem unreasonable to have thought he might be in the conversation.

* I.e., not counting last year's seniors or underclassmen who went pro last summer, most relevantly Brad Thiessen.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 02:45PM

Josh '99
Trotsky

Me neither.
Why not? ... for a team with a defense-first system ...
That's why not. Goalies are rarely considered, and goalies from defense-first systems even less.

Date: March 18, 2010 03:41PM

ugarte
Josh '99
Trotsky

Me neither.
That's why not. Goalies are rarely considered, and goalies from defense-first systems even less.
True, but as Ryan Miller and LeNeveu demonstrate, they sometimes are, especially when there are other factors working in their favor, like the ones I mentioned above.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 03:42PM by Josh '99.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 18, 2010 03:47PM

Josh '99
ugarte
Josh '99
Trotsky

Me neither.
True, but as Ryan Miller and LeNeveu demonstrate, they sometimes are, especially when there are other factors working in their favor, like the ones I mentioned above.
Goalies win when they post eye-popping numbers and there are no skaters with impressive goal/point totals in the same year. Only 2 of 29 winners have been tenders.

Date: March 18, 2010 04:01PM

KeithK
Josh '99
ugarte
Josh '99
Trotsky

Me neither.
Goalies win when they post eye-popping numbers and there are no skaters with impressive goal/point totals in the same year. Only 2 of 29 winners have been tenders.
Yes, and coming into the season there were reasons to believe both of those things could potentially have happened this year.

Posted by: RichH (167.225.107.---)
Date: March 18, 2010 04:16PM

Josh '99
KeithK
Josh '99
ugarte
Josh '99
Trotsky

Me neither.
Yes, and coming into the season there were reasons to believe both of those things could potentially have happened this year.

Well, I'll say it. At the beginning of the season, I didn't have enough faith in Ben's skills to fathom that he would be HTT worthy. His numbers have been a pleasant surprise, and he will definitely get my vote for TBRW's "career improvement" award.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 04:23PM

Josh '99
KeithK
Josh '99
ugarte
Josh '99
Trotsky

Me neither.
I'd say that there were reasons to think he'd be a good goalie - even an All-American goalie. I still say that there was no reason to think he'd have the kind of historically significant numbers that it takes for a goalie to be in the conversation for Hobey. I think Keith, Rich and I are arguing that the circumstances it takes for a goalie to be in the conversation are much narrower than the ones you outlined. Not because of anything Scrivens did or didn't do, necessarily, but because of an extreme anti-goalie bias in MVP discussions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 04:24PM by ugarte.

Date: March 18, 2010 06:21PM

ugarte
I think Keith, Rich and I are arguing that the circumstances it takes for a goalie to be in the conversation are much narrower than the ones you outlined. Not because of anything Scrivens did or didn't do, necessarily, but because of an extreme anti-goalie bias in MVP discussions.

Coming into the season, IMHO, Ben was a solid, dependable, workmanlike, lunchpail, your-blue-collar-cliche-here goalie. Then he came out and blew away all the competition. Welcome and greatly appreciated, but expected?

Date: March 18, 2010 10:11PM

Finalists

Bobby Butler, New Hampshire
Marc Cheverie, Denver
Blake Geoffrion, Wisconsin
Gustav Nyquist, Maine
Mark Olver, Northern Michigan
Chase Polacek, RPI
Rhett Rakhshani, Denver
Cody Reichard, Miami
Ben Scrivens, Cornell
Brendan Smith, Wisconsin

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 10:24PM

Trotsky
Finalists

Marc Cheverie, Denver
Gustav Nyquist, Maine
Chase Polacek, RPI
Rhett Rakhshani, Denver
Cody Reichard, Miami
Ben Scrivens, Cornell
Brendan Smith, Wisconsin

We get to stuff another on-line ballot box for this correct?

Date: March 18, 2010 10:32PM

Rita
Trotsky
Finalists

Marc Cheverie, Denver
Gustav Nyquist, Maine
Chase Polacek, RPI
Rhett Rakhshani, Denver
Cody Reichard, Miami
Ben Scrivens, Cornell
Brendan Smith, Wisconsin

We get to stuff another on-line ballot box for this correct?

Oh Danny, this isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2010 10:35PM

Trotsky
Finalists

Marc Cheverie, Denver
Gustav Nyquist, Maine
Chase Polacek, RPI
Rhett Rakhshani, Denver
Cody Reichard, Miami
Ben Scrivens, Cornell
Brendan Smith, Wisconsin
If you wanted to pick one goalie to put in the final three, it's awfully tough to pick between Scrivens, Cheverie and Reichard.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2010 11:14PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
Finalists

Marc Cheverie, Denver
Gustav Nyquist, Maine
Chase Polacek, RPI
Rhett Rakhshani, Denver
Cody Reichard, Miami
Ben Scrivens, Cornell
Brendan Smith, Wisconsin
If you wanted to pick one goalie to put in the final three, it's awfully tough to pick between Scrivens, Cheverie and Reichard.

I thought it was a vote on the ten and then the top three vote getters are invited to the ceremony. The three goalies should collectively keep any of them from winning. May keep all three out of the top three too.

voting open
Posted by: marty (---.sub-75-195-196.myvzw.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 03:32PM

Hobey voting is now open at hobeybaker.com.

Re: voting open
Posted by: ajh258 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 19, 2010 03:44PM

marty
Hobey voting is now open at hobeybaker.com.

link is here:

[hobeybaker.com]

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:22PM

Scrivens in 6th place with 8%

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:32PM

Josh '99
Trotsky
Finalists

Marc Cheverie, Denver
Gustav Nyquist, Maine
Chase Polacek, RPI
Rhett Rakhshani, Denver
Cody Reichard, Miami
Ben Scrivens, Cornell
Brendan Smith, Wisconsin

I have no problem with picking Scrivens. You are not going to get all objective on our arses are you?cheer

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2010 09:49PM

Trotsky's right. Lots of comments through much of the season dumping on Scrivens, how he isn't the caliber of McKee, Leneveau. Union coach after the ECAC semis second game was effusive in his praise of Scrivens.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.tvc-ip.com)
Date: March 19, 2010 11:41PM

Roy 82
Josh '99
Trotsky
Finalists

Marc Cheverie, Denver
Gustav Nyquist, Maine
Chase Polacek, RPI
Rhett Rakhshani, Denver
Cody Reichard, Miami
Ben Scrivens, Cornell
Brendan Smith, Wisconsin

I have no problem with picking Scrivens. You are not going to get all objective on our arses are you?cheer
Heh. I meant if you were to assume one of the three goalies would be in the final three and try to predict which one it would be, it would be tough to predict. I have no problem picking Scrivens, personally! :-D

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 20, 2010 05:27PM

Gustav Nyquist of Maine in first with 24 percent followed by Chase Polacek with 22 percent and Mark Olver of Northern Michigan with 18 percent - all forwards. Scrivens has 5 percent, tops for goalies, and is in 6th place.

Posted by: ajh258 (206.53.157.---)
Date: March 21, 2010 12:40AM

From an interview after tonight's game:

Union College head coach Nate Leaman credited stellar goaltending for Cornell's win. "I've seen McKee and I've seen Leneveu, and he's better than both these guys. Scrivens is a huge difference-maker back there."

[today.14850.com]

It's really too bad he is not a top contender. Scrivens has been a great leader for his team and he embodies what an ideal sportsman should be.

Please don't forget to vote!

Edit: Barry picks Scrivens nut
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 11:59AM by ajh258.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2010 06:29PM

Bump.

We need a voting robot (voting juggernaut?) to give Ben some Hobey love.

Only Ben only has 1% of the votes. help

[hobeybaker.com] (scroll down for the results button)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login