Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Pre-Harvard Info

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Pre-Harvard Info
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 01:16PM

For hockey info prior to Harvard. I'll start. Scali is a finalist for Best Defensive Forward in ECAC.

Re: Pre-Harvard Info
Posted by: Rita (---.med.miami.edu)
Date: March 10, 2010 01:27PM

Hey, I think we now have to shell out money to B2tv in order to see the games on the internet. cuss Do at least still get Redcast audio?** I can't remember if that audio was available last year.

At least the women's SF game against Hahvahd (SUCKS!) will be streamed for free.

** According the Redcast site Redcast subscribers to get audio. You will need to fork over $8/game for pictures.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 01:32PM by Rita.

Posted by: lhayes (---.clsphila.org)
Date: March 10, 2010 01:29PM

In case folks missed the news on another thread, the Athletics ticket office still has tickets for this weekend's games. Who'da thunk it? I hadn't even thought it was worth calling.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2010 01:50PM

Playoff games hardly ever sell out. You opt into buying playoff tickets with your season tickets, and those who don't opt in are usually the facetimers that have lost interest by March. No to mention that fact that season tickets didn't sell out in the first place.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 01:57PM

Student season tickets automatically include the playoff games, so it's just the Townies who would be opting out.

I thought tickets wouldn't go on sale until tomorrow morning, as per usual, so I was surprised to find out last week that they were on sale already.

Posted by: sockralex (170.202.22.---)
Date: March 10, 2010 01:57PM

Rita
Hey, I think we now have to shell out money to B2tv in order to see the games on the internet. cuss Do at least still get Redcast audio?** I can't remember if that audio was available last year.

At least the women's SF game against Hahvahd (SUCKS!) will be streamed for free.

** According the Redcast site Redcast subscribers to get audio. You will need to fork over $8/game for pictures.

Are you kidding me? I bought a monthly package Union/RPI weekend so that I could get at least 4 video streamed games.

Do they just switch it over to B2B like this every year?

Date: March 10, 2010 02:13PM

sockralex
Rita

Are you kidding me? I bought a monthly package Union/RPI weekend so that I could get at least 4 video streamed games.

Do they just switch it over to B2B like this every year?

I believe so. I had a nagging feeling that I had to check video for this weekend's games. The ECAC/B2 still haven't come up with a "reasonable" ECAC playoff package that would included the *all* QF games and Championship weekend games. For the QF it is pay per game. I think for Albany, there is a weekend/3 game pricing. I think I will forego my annual rant to Steve Hagwell about that. Something about deaf ears.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 04:15PM

Jim Hyla
For hockey info prior to Harvard. I'll start. Scali is a finalist for Best Defensive Forward in ECAC.

And Krueger for best defensive defenseman

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 06:00PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla

Where did you see that?

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2010 06:43PM

isnt the b2 offer $25 for all the games? thats not a bad deal really, if you are gonna see 2-3 CU games you might as well buy the whole package

Posted by: amerks127 (---.opac.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2010 07:07PM

Jim Hyla
Jeff Hopkins '82
Jim Hyla

Where did you see that?

Here: [ecachockey.com]

My money is on Schreiber, who was ECAC first-team along with Nash this season. Interesting that Krueger got the nod for this award as he didn't make any All-ECAC/Ivy teams.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2010 07:09PM by amerks127.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2010 10:15PM

From Dan Sweeney's blog
At the very least, Cornell goalie Ben Scrivens will be going to the Final Four.
The Big Red senior has been selected to participate in the NCAA Frozen Four Skills Challenge on April 9 at Ford Field.

ECAC Albany game times
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2010 01:25AM

Trying to recall from previous years the game times for Friday in the ECAC semis. They're 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. (7:30?) and the highest seed gets to pick its time slot. The high seed usually picks the earlier game to have a little more time to rest and also to see the other two teams play. Is that your recall? I'm out of town earlier in the day and can make a 7 pm game but for a 4 pm game I'm hosed.

Re: ECAC Albany game times
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2010 05:47AM

My tickets list the ECACs at 4:00 and 7:00.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2010 08:11AM

Brian Delaney has this in his piece in today's Journal:

"Steve Donahue had given Cornell off on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday as a reward for their strong play down the stretch of the season. They got back at it today with a tough practice. Jeff Foote sat out with a stomach virus, and freshman Miles Asafo-Adjei stayed at home with similar symptoms. Apparently it's a bug going through the campus at the moment."

Let's hope it doesn't hit either hockey team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 08:12AM by Al DeFlorio.

Date: March 11, 2010 08:17AM

Al DeFlorio

"Steve Donahue had given Cornell off on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday as a reward for their strong play down the stretch of the season. They got back at it today with a tough practice. Jeff Foote sat out with a stomach virus, and freshman Miles Asafo-Adjei stayed at home with similar symptoms. Apparently it's a bug going through the campus at the moment."

No chance it would affect Harvard. Their system is immune on account of their blood. You play sports at Harvard, your blood is automatically A positive, never worse then A-.

Re: ECAC Albany game times
Date: March 11, 2010 10:25AM

There's no choosing any more. The top seed always plays the early game. Probably just made it easier to plan since the top seed always picked the early game anyway.

Posted by: Travis 02 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2010 09:16PM

billhoward
Al DeFlorio

No chance it would affect Harvard. Their system is immune on account of their blood. You play sports at Harvard, your blood is automatically A positive, never worse then A-.
I lol'd.**]

Posted by: sah67 (---.dynamic.amnh.org)
Date: March 12, 2010 10:37AM

From the IJ game preview article:

Mike Devin
"I think we play our best when we're forechecking hard, hitting and playing physical," Massachusetts native Mike Devin said. "So that makes us a good match for them because they don't like to get hit and we like to play physical.
They are a team that really thrives on transition play and rushes," Devin said. "And that's where we really need to play well, in the neutral zone and forechecking. If we don't give them rushes, we really break down their offense."

Riley Nash
"We need to put them on their heels early and just kind of set the tone for the whole 120 minutes that hopefully we have to play them," junior forward Riley Nash said. "If it comes down to a third game then you need to kind of make sure they're not wanting to go back to get pucks, not wanting to get the puck, and make sure they're on the defense the whole time.

They like to hit us a lot. I'm not sure they're too fond of us going after them," Nash said. "We're a pretty big team, so we know we can play with any team down low and dominate them there. That's one of the areas we have to focus on is physically taking it to them the whole series because that's kind of what our strength is and not necessarily their weakness, but that's how we have to play."

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 12, 2010 01:07PM

What exactly is the AD's reasoning behind not offering video of home quarterfinals game as part of the Redcast package? I'd love to hear it.

Date: March 12, 2010 01:17PM

Jordan 04
What exactly is the AD's reasoning behind not offering video of home quarterfinals game as part of the Redcast package? I'd love to hear it.

This one we cannot pin on Andy and the Cornell Athletic Department (at least not directly**) . This one is on Steve Hagwell ECAC commissioner. This is the ECAC's money grab and have contracted video rights to the ECAC quarterfinals and championship rounds out to B2. cuss.

** If the AD actually cared about RedCast hockey people (and we know they don't) then you'd think Andy would have been tell Hagwell that he wasn't going to make the Cornell fans shell out more money to watch hockey, and if anyone else wanted to see the games, then they can pay the Redcast going rate.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: March 12, 2010 01:36PM

Rita
Jordan 04

This one we cannot pin on Andy and the Cornell Athletic Department (at least not directly**) . This one is on Steve Hagwell ECAC commissioner. This is the ECAC's money grab and have contracted video rights to the ECAC quarterfinals and championship rounds out to B2. cuss.

** If the AD actually cared about RedCast hockey people (and we know they don't) then you'd think Andy would have been tell Hagwell that he wasn't going to make the Cornell fans shell out more money to watch hockey, and if anyone else wanted to see the games, then they can pay the Redcast going rate.

Eh, I think this is unduly harsh on the AD and athletic dept. I think the switch to Redcast was largely due to the athletic dept. caring, since we were getting atrocious support from the prior vendor. And do you have any reason to believe that the power balance b/w Andy and Steve w/r/t video rights is such that Andy could (or that it would be prudent in the big scheme of things) to take that tact? I presume the ECAC membership has agreed to give the conference preemption over the individual schools' video distribution and there isn't any ground for Andy to stand on to make such a demand.

Date: March 12, 2010 02:12PM

JasonN95
Rita
Jordan 04

Eh, I think this is unduly harsh on the AD and athletic dept. I think the switch to Redcast was largely due to the athletic dept. caring, since we were getting atrocious support from the prior vendor. And do you have any reason to believe that the power balance b/w Andy and Steve w/r/t video rights is such that Andy could (or that it would be prudent in the big scheme of things) to take that tact? I presume the ECAC membership has agreed to give the conference preemption over the individual schools' video distribution and there isn't any ground for Andy to stand on to make such a demand.

Harsh, maybe. Probably. However, I still think the schools that offer pay for view video feeds for their home games could have made a stronger case for their fans about how they are already paying a fee for the games. If a school with a video service is hosting a QF series they already have the technology in place. No need to bring in a third party (if they aren't already on the B2 platform) and charge their fans again because it is now "tournament action".

What is the market for ECAC QF hockey? Probably the same people who already subscribe to their team's internet feeds. Maybe a few more "friends/family" type people and the die-hard league fan whose team got knocked out (Engineers, Knights). How much money is the ECAC really making off these games? Granted, it is only $16-24 dollars this weekend, but given what I paid for Redcast, it ticks me off. It just feels like I'm being charged twice for the same product.

Date: March 12, 2010 02:26PM

That's all basically irrelevant. ECAC playoffs, from the first round on, are an ECAC gig. They get the money (which is probably why the playoff tickets are an opt-in for nonstudents), they control the rights, etc. Andy doesn't really have jurisdiction over it.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 12, 2010 02:28PM

Thanks for the explanations.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2010 02:29PM

Anybody know why the First Round isn't included under the league's rights monopoly?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.60.172.18.ded.snet.net)
Date: March 12, 2010 02:36PM

[billhoward]
For eight bucks a game, it better be in HD.
[/billhoward]

Confident that the quality will not make it worth the $8, I'll watch the women and listen to the men tonight and reconsider the options tomorrow...

Date: March 12, 2010 02:43PM

Trotsky
Anybody know why the First Round isn't included under the league's rights monopoly?

Maybe not enough time to work out the logistics? With the top 4 teams getting a bye and home ice, it gives B2 more time to set up (hopefully for Bill Howard ;-) ) the HD cameras and other things needed for the broadcast.

Date: March 12, 2010 02:47PM

Chris '03
[billhoward]
[/billhoward]

Confident that the quality will not make it worth the $8, I'll watch the women and listen to the men tonight and reconsider the options tomorrow...
That's my plan, too, Chris.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.corp.tfbnw.net)
Date: March 12, 2010 07:05PM

Al DeFlorio
Chris '03
[billhoward]
[/billhoward]

That's what I'm doing. Don't tell my boss. ;) Women's feed is pretty crisp. I'm impressed.

Date: March 12, 2010 07:11PM

Tom Lento
Al DeFlorio
Chris '03
[billhoward]
[/billhoward]

That's what I'm doing. Don't tell my boss. ;) Women's feed is pretty crisp. I'm impressed.
Yep, it is. Women being very efficient so far, but giving up many chances.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2010 10:12PM

Jim Hyla
From Dan Sweeney's blog
The Big Red senior has been selected to participate in the NCAA Frozen Four Skills Challenge on April 9 at Ford Field.

To the surprise of no one, Scrivens is a finalist for the Dryden award.

[www.ecachockey.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 10:46PM by amerks127.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2010 11:05PM

amerks127
Jim Hyla
From Dan Sweeney's blog

[www.ecachockey.com]
It would be an absolute joke if he didn't win.

Date: March 13, 2010 12:18AM

Bill Howard flipped back and forth between Cornell-Harvard (web low-res) and New Jersey-Pittsburgh (HD) and wished for more from the Cornell webcast: more resolution, fewer dropouts, more than one camera, a main camera mounted higher. Anyone who saw the (free) RPI webcast last weekend: Wouldn't that be a nice intermediate place to be?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 13, 2010 05:00PM

For those that ordered yesterday, how was B2's quality? Dinner plans cancelled in light of the horrendous weather, so I'm considering ordering the feed tonight.

Date: March 13, 2010 06:18PM

Jordan 04
For those that ordered yesterday, how was B2's quality? Dinner plans cancelled in light of the horrendous weather, so I'm considering ordering the feed tonight.
The quality appears to be similar to the regular season Redcasts. Also, the same low camera positon so you get a lot of heads in the way and just one camera. Logging on was a pain - you have to wait for an email to come through with your link. My feed dropped four times in the third period and wouldn't restart for the final 2 minutes of the game - good thing it wasn't close at the end. But that could well be my connection. I think it's worth spending the money. This is Cornell-Harvard we're talking about, hopefully vanquishing them for good, and hopefully not needing a game three tomorrow.

Date: March 13, 2010 06:54PM

Jordan 04
The static pre-game picture looks pretty good so far Saturday night.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.arts.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2010 12:05PM

Josh '99
amerks127
Jim Hyla
From Dan Sweeney's blog

[www.ecachockey.com]

Last one...Scrivens a finalist for POTY against Backman and Polacek.

[ecachockey.com]

Posted by: ajh258 (---.johnson.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2010 12:54PM

amerks127
Josh '99
amerks127
Jim Hyla
From Dan Sweeney's blog

[www.ecachockey.com]

Last one...Scrivens a finalist for POTY against Backman and Polacek.

[ecachockey.com]

In all likeliness, they are probably giving Scrivens the Ken Dryden and giving Backman POTY. On the other hand, if Union wins the championship, I could see it go to Polacek if he gets a few points during that game.

This is how I see it; award selection committees are often predictable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 05:26PM by ajh258.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.122.119.70.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 01:10PM

ajh258
In all likeliness, they are probably giving Scrivens the Ken Dryden and giving Backman POTY. On the other hand, if Union wins the championship, I could see it go to Polacek if he gets a few points during that game.

If Polacek gets a few points playing for Union in the championship, I hope he not only doesn't win the POTY award, I hope the league investigates.

He plays for RPI.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-75-236-16.myvzw.com)
Date: March 15, 2010 01:12PM

Polacek plays for RPI, so I hope if he scores in Albany that he's wearing his helmet.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 03:20PM

ajh258

As good as Backman is, he shouldn't win this award. Polacek outscored him by 10 points - that's a pretty huge edge over the course of a 22-game conference schedule.

I think Scrivens is going to win both awards. Over the past 11 years, five times that's the way the voters have gone when a goalie was the standout player in the conference: Eric Heffler (1998-99, SLU); David LeNeveu (2002-03; co-POTY with Chris Higgins); Yann Danis (2003-04, Brown); David McKee (2004-05); Zane Kalemba (2008-09, Princeton). I could be wrong, of course, but that's my hunch.

Posted by: ajh258 (206.53.147.---)
Date: March 15, 2010 03:40PM

marty
Polacek plays for RPI, so I hope if he scores in Albany that he's wearing his helmet.

Blurg! That's what I get for checking elynah at work :p

I still stand by the Backman prediction though, although Scrivens has a great shot at winning, I can't see the league give him Ken Dryden and POTY at the same time unless we win the championship and he performs amazingly with a shutout against SLU or Union.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 05:27PM by ajh258.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 03:49PM

ajh258
marty

Blurg! That's what I get for checking elynah at work :p

I still stand by the Backman prediction though, although Scrivens has a great shot at winning, I can't see the league give him Ken Dryden and POTY at the same time unless we win the championship and he performs amazingly with a shutout against SLU or Union.
The awards are voted on this week and announced prior to this weekend's games, so what happens this weekend will have no bearing on them.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2010 05:07PM

I'd say what just happened to Yale pretty much defines that Backman is the MVP.

But yeah, I would think Polacek would win it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login