Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[Yale] Sean Backman out for the season

Posted by KenP 
[Yale] Sean Backman out for the season
Posted by: KenP (---.ssmcnet.noaa.gov)
Date: March 08, 2010 02:50PM

Yale's #2 goal scorer, #3 in points.....

[www.uscho.com]

Recently honored ECAC Hockey first-team forward and Ivy League player of the year Sean Backman seriously injured his foot in practice last Sunday, and is likely done for the year, according to reports by the New Haven Register and Yale Daily News.

This would also mark the end of the senior’s NCAA experience, following a career highlighted by league co-rookie of the year honors, four All-ECAC team seasons, two team MVP awards, an ECAC Hockey tournament MVP award, Walter Brown Award semifinalist status, and 77 goals with 49 assists for 126 points in 122 games for the Bulldogs.

The local product of Cos Cob, Conn., had 21 goals and 35 points in 29 games this year. He accounted for just beyond a sixth of the team’s goals, and was under consideration for a spot on the Frozen Four Skills Challenge team.

Yale — ranked sixth in the nation — earned the ECAC Hockey regular-season title this year, and will play in the quarterfinals next weekend after enjoying a bye week during the first round of the league playoffs.

Re: [Yale] Sean Backman out for the season
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 07:52PM

They could have been a Frozen Four team. There needs to be somebody from the ECAC in the FF more often than once or so each decade. Cornell's stature is enhanced if we have good opponents in the Ivy League and ECAC.

Did Yale really have a practice one day after playing two games in two days - with no games in the offing for 13 days?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2010 08:57PM

billhoward

Did Yale really have a practice one day after playing two games in two days - with no games in the offing for 13 days?
You can bet Allain wishes he hadn't.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 09:04PM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward

You can bet Allain wishes he hadn't.

Someone on the USCHO boards is spreading a rumor that the injury didn't happen in practice.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2010 09:13PM

There's a different speculation about the injury on the Yale Thread on uscho.

QPac fan asks a hard question.

Date: March 09, 2010 05:56AM

If you wanted to start a rumor, that's the one to start: an athletee being drunk and doing something stupid. It's something you can't easily disprove since if it happened at the rink in practice only perhaps two dozen people were there to have seen it. Whereas if it happened at a party or in a bar, eventually half the sons of Eli will have a friend of a friend who was there (they say). The Yale Daily News would have the best chance with its contacts to ferret out the information but even an independent paper like Yale's still has some inner loyalty to the school it supports, they might wait until after the season, and by that time, who cares, so why track it down?

As for the Q poster's idea that you'd be ultra careful leadng up to the playoffs, I don't think that's the way an individual sees risk.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2010 11:49AM

billhoward
If you wanted to start a rumor, that's the one to start: an athletee being drunk and doing something stupid.

You mean something like this?

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 09, 2010 11:57AM

amerks127
billhoward
If you wanted to start a rumor, that's the one to start: an athletee being drunk and doing something stupid.

[www.uscho.com]
Sure, but you expect that kind of stupidity from a player at Maine. At Yale, maybe not so much.

Posted by: RichH (67.201.121.---)
Date: March 09, 2010 12:47PM

Josh '99
amerks127
billhoward

[www.uscho.com]
Sure, but you expect that kind of stupidity from a player at Maine. At Yale, maybe not so much.

ORLY? Two words: Gourmet Heaven.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 09, 2010 03:08PM

RichH
Josh '99
amerks127
billhoward

[www.uscho.com]

ORLY? Two words: Gourmet Heaven.
I said "maybe". :-}

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2010 09:55PM

A "pool accident"

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2010 10:27PM

Article says "He has returned home and is not currently with the team"

I guess Yale is one of those schools where a senior is not close to graduation, so just blow off school because your eligibility is up.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 10:27PM by nshapiro.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2010 10:41PM

Similar column in the New Haven Register: [www.nhregister.com]

Best reader comment: "You gotta wait till the water is frozen first DUH!"

Posted by: Avash (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2010 10:51PM

nshapiro

I guess Yale is one of those schools where a senior is not close to graduation, so just blow off school because your eligibility is up.

Yale's on spring break.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2010 11:22PM

nshapiro

I'm always amazed how quickly we respond when we don't know the facts. He just had major surgery. We have no idea if he's able to walk. Maybe he has to be in bed with his leg elevated so it doesn't swell. Maybe it's in a cast and if it swells it could compromise the circulation to his foot. Maybe he just wants to be home and get some of mom's chicken soup.

I can imagine many medical situations where he couldn't go right back to school. I think all of us must have had some scary medical situations in our family, and until we know the facts, we ought to keep quiet and let him get better.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2010 07:25AM

ebilmes
A "pool accident"

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

"Horseplay leads to sick bay."

Posted by: adamw (209.71.42.---)
Date: March 12, 2010 11:13AM

Jim is right. Backman will return to graduate -- it is spring break and he just had surgery, as he said. ... Actually, he may have signed an NHL deal if not for the gray area of whether he's officially still on Yale's team or not. Though of course, he couldn't have played anyway. But even if Yale was done, Backman was healthy, and he signed an NHL deal in the interim - he STILL would've graduated, as most players find a way to do in that situation, particularly Ivy Leaguers. So no use hating on Backman any more than he's already getting - as he knows - for being stupid.

Date: March 12, 2010 10:29PM

Jim Hyla
nshapiro

I'm always amazed how quickly we respond when we don't know the facts. He just had major surgery. We have no idea if he's able to walk. Maybe he has to be in bed with his leg elevated so it doesn't swell. Maybe it's in a cast and if it swells it could compromise the circulation to his foot. Maybe he just wants to be home and get some of mom's chicken soup.

I can imagine many medical situations where he couldn't go right back to school. I think all of us must have had some scary medical situations in our family, and until we know the facts, we ought to keep quiet and let him get better.
Like redness in the face.

I felt sorry for Backman when it was an injury suffered in practice. Now, let's honor Darwinism.

Date: March 12, 2010 10:33PM

billhoward
I felt sorry for Backman when it was an injury suffered in practice. Now, let's honor Darwinism.

Doesn't count. Although he probably isn't getting any action for a while if the Yale women are discerning.

Edit: The Brown women, on the other hand, should be all over him.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 10:34PM by Trotsky.

Date: March 12, 2010 10:50PM

Classic line. This would've been a winner any other day: "They might go to Yale but they're still children." Probably a townie living near the rink who wonders why his hubcaps smell like urine some mornings.

Date: March 12, 2010 11:02PM

Union audio link: [board.uscho.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 11:02PM by Trotsky.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login