Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 0, post game

Posted by Trotsky 
Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 0, post game
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2010 10:38PM

Man, that was... well, it was really dull. But. 2 points.

Re: Cornell 2 Quinnipiac 0, post game
Posted by: Larry72 (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: February 05, 2010 10:43PM

They should all be this "dull" and end in the same way! Keeping Wong and company off the scoreboard is no easy feat. Great defensive effort by CU.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2010 10:58PM

I had to catch the game on the DVR a few minutes late. An absolute grind-it-out win against a struggling team. Nothing pretty (or terribly exciting) about the game, but we'll sure take it.

I thought Q won most of the loose puck battles and had much more offensive zone time, but not many high-quality chances. Scrivens was rock-solid as usual, but did not have to be spectacular. Once we got the greasy second goal, you pretty much knew it was over.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2010 12:35AM

scoop85
I had to catch the game on the DVR a few minutes late. An absolute grind-it-out win against a struggling team. Nothing pretty (or terribly exciting) about the game, but we'll sure take it.

I thought Q won most of the loose puck battles and had much more offensive zone time, but not many high-quality chances. Scrivens was rock-solid as usual, but did not have to be spectacular. Once we got the greasy second goal, you pretty much knew it was over.

I think the cricket metaphor "streaky" (as in bacon) is really apt in circumstances like this.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 12:43AM

I don't know which was more fun: Following a ho-hum, typical Cornell shutout or this laugher:
Throw your clipboard!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 01:20AM

Trotsky
Man, that was... well, it was really dull. But. 2 points.

The last few games have been ridiculously boring hockey games to watch. Just the way Schafer wants them, given these results.

Right now, Scrivens is playing as strongly as he's ever been, and the defense is absolutely at the top of their game in blocking & deflecting shots harmlessly away.

I guess the other side of the puck is that the offense is hardly high-flying. Yeah, they scored on the PP, but that was the only time the PP looked anywhere close to good. The problem isn't even their PP strategy, because we don't even get to see a strategy. They can't even get set up with possession on the PP anymore.

Very few scoring chances on either side of the ice. That's CU hockey '10.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 01:40AM

Highlight of the game was when D'Agostino was whistled for tripping. He calmly skated to the bench, and Chris Moulson (who may not have been on the ice at the time) goes over to the penalty box. Hilarious.

Cornell up to No. 8 in Pairwise... wow.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 01:59AM

Not exciting if you're a Quinnipiac fan, so unexciting the rush for the exits was well underway with 10:00 to play. Not counting the 500? 750? fans who made it a sellout but never showed. Quinnipiac with its excellent facility will be part of a future more powerful ECAC at some point; perhaps the fans are waiting for Q to make the move and then they'll pack the place.

We got a couple lucky breaks. The non-Q goal where Scrivens made the save(s) from within the net, I'm pretty sure the puck never made it to the line let alone over. Q hit a crossbar (did we also, along with a pipe?). I thought it was Cornell that won a lot of loose puck battles and more along the boards. We drew two dumb penalties that gave Q a 5x3 - too many men (which Chris Moulson got to serve) and then delay of game by tying up the puck along the boards and not moving it. Moulson drew a tripping penalty that seemed unnecessary; not good when you're on the cusp on dressing now.

We did an awesome job killing the 5x3 and some other early penalties. We didn't do a good job coping with the Q pressure the last 5-6 minutes; Q took some pressure off by drawing a 2:00 penalty and misconduct with 4:00 to play. Even though, I thought we might lose the shutout. Throught the game Q made a lot of unpolished passes cross-ice at center ice that the forward striding for the blue line had to reach behind him to snag.

When Riley Nash plays we gripe that he's not living up to his scoring potential. It would have been nice to see if he would have made a difference last night. Let's hope he is back for Yale.

Scrivens played well and deserved the shutout. When we're outshot 2-1 and win, the goalie has to play a big part.

Date: February 06, 2010 02:01AM

Larry72
They should all be this "dull" and end in the same way! Keeping Wong and company off the scoreboard is no easy feat. Great defensive effort by CU.

First shutout of QU since Jan 31, 2009, according to the USCHO recap. Of course the same write-up says: "The Bobcats’ winless streak now stands at 14, as they have gone 1-11-2 in that span," which makes me as impressed as hell that a team can get a win during a winless streak. Maybe because the win was vs. AIC, so it doesn't count?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2010 02:03AM by RichH.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: February 06, 2010 02:33AM

When it comes to goaltenders in the ECAC, the pool is not as strong as it was a few years ago. Scrivens in net is a significant advantage for the Red against most league teams this year, and was the difference tonight. The two goals that Clarke let up would have probably been saves for Scrivens.

Posted by: sockralex (67.221.93.---)
Date: February 06, 2010 08:58AM

ebilmes
Highlight of the game was when D'Agostino was whistled for tripping. He calmly skated to the bench, and Chris Moulson (who may not have been on the ice at the time) goes over to the penalty box. Hilarious.
p

I am fairly certain it was Scrivens that got that penalty. He put his stick out to his right side to attempt a poke check as the Q player skated by and got the guy's skates instead.

Concur with most of the other thoughts, a classic Cornell snoozer and I don't mind it a single bit!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2010 09:30AM by sockralex.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 09:42AM

sockralex
ebilmes
p

I am fairly certain it was Scrivens that got that penalty. He put his stick out to his right side to attempt a poke check as the Q player skated by and got the guy's skates instead.

Concur with most of the other thoughts, a classic Cornell snoozer and I don't mind it a single bit!

I'm sure you're correct. It was funny to watch the camera follow D'Agostino skate all the way to the bench and then talk to the coaches. At first the cameraman obviously thought he was guilty. But he was behind the player and it was Scrivens stick that tripped the Q. All the boxscores that I've seen list Moulson???

Posted by: tretiak (---.resnet.ucsb.edu)
Date: February 06, 2010 04:22PM

I'm sure you're correct. It was funny to watch the camera follow D'Agostino skate all the way to the bench and then talk to the coaches. At first the cameraman obviously thought he was guilty. But he was behind the player and it was Scrivens stick that tripped the Q. All the boxscores that I've seen list Moulson???

I'm sure they did it because Moulson served the penalty, but that was definitely Scrivens' trip. He needs to take some tougher penalties - maybe he'll do so at Colgate this year. Did anyone else notice on the CSTV coverage that they put up a picture of Matt Moulson instead of Ryan O'Byrne when they were talking about Cornell alums in the NHL?

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 04:37PM

tretiak

I'm sure they did it because Moulson served the penalty, but that was definitely Scrivens' trip. He needs to take some tougher penalties - maybe he'll do so at Colgate this year. Did anyone else notice on the CSTV coverage that they put up a picture of Matt Moulson instead of Ryan O'Byrne when they were talking about Cornell alums in the NHL?
I think the pictures they showed weren't in the same order as the names they were mentioning. IIRC correctly, they showed O'B's picture before Moulson's, but mentioned Matt's name earlier on the list. They also mentioned Vesce - but there was no picture.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 05:02PM

I've never seen an arena clear out so quickly by fans of a team which was only trailing by two goals. Fortunately, the fans directly behind me, who pounded their thundersticks non-stop throughout the entire first period in what appeared to be an obnoxious attmept to annoy us, left after the first period. Most of the Q fans left steadily throughout the third period, including nearly the entire student section. It was funny to watch the Q players salute the fans after the post-game handshake, since none of them were left!
One of our players was hurt in the third period. Does anyone know his status?
And our second goal, by Roeszler, was definitely deflected in off his skate, which is why they had a video review of it. But it didn't like he intentionally directed it in. In a game like that, we'll take goals any way we can.

Date: February 06, 2010 05:17PM

dbilmes

That was Jillson. He went to the bench (not locker room) and was back out on the ice for at least the last PP.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 06, 2010 05:18PM

dbilmes
And our second goal, by Roeszler, was definitely deflected in off his skate, which is why they had a video review of it. But it didn't like he intentionally directed it in. In a game like that, we'll take goals any way we can.
If you're talking about Jillson, who got hit in the head early in the 3rd, he did play later in the period.
Regarding the goal, from the replays it appeared to go in off the D-man's skate. The replays weren't perfect but the general consensus of those of us on the chat who were watching on TV was that Roeszler never even touched the puck.

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 06:15PM

The hit on Jillson was particularly nasty - he was defenseless and on his knees when a Q player hit him head on. I was surprised there was no call on it. Glad he's OK.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login