Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Quinnipiac roll call

Posted by dbilmes 
Quinnipiac roll call
Posted by: dbilmes (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2010 11:32AM

I'll be there plus five. Just a reminder that the game begins at 8. Also, the first 1,500 fans receive a free thunderstick, so make sure you get there early if you want your own thunderstick. Seriously, you do want to get there fairly early, since once the parking areas get filled up, you have to park a few miles away on campus and take a shuttle bus to the arena. Hopefully, the pep band will be there, although it's hard for them to be heard over all of the canned music and noisy announcements, promotions, etc.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2010 04:45PM by dbilmes.

Re: Quinnipiac roll call
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 31, 2010 12:17PM

Gonna be there +2 friends I met years ago on eLynah. Re early arrival: You get a thunderstick, you'llkeep it out of the hands of children in yellow. I thought Q has a parking garage open on the hill now. But it still could be overwhelmed.

Posted by: sigmanu@CU (---.nbcuni.com)
Date: February 02, 2010 09:34AM

Should be a great time. I'll be there with my brood. My 10 yr. old loves the Big Red and had her first visit to Lynah for the Saturday NDakota game after catching several road games at the Q, the Whale, and even Union! Considering we live in northern CT, the Union playoff game in '08-09 was a trek! My 4 year old asked me why we never yelled "it's all your fault" at the Sioux goalie...have you ever tried to explain that to a 4 year old!!?! Hopefully she will have plenty of chances on Friday night, even though 8pm is after her bedtime! Go Red!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 10:58AM

So, uh, what's the ticket situation like at Quinnipiac? It just occurred to me that I should probably figure that out before anything else.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: February 02, 2010 03:52PM

Q tix are tight. Cornell's allotment was sold out. IIRC, Q saves lots of seats for students who are cajoled to come: free Tees, sing along with the scoreboard, stuff like that. They're building a fan base Cornell has had for two generations. Unlike Princeton, I would not just wander in at gametime hoping for yet more SRO seats to be available.

The rink is the opposite of Cornell's: big, high ceiling, incredible lighting from units that come down at a 45 degree angle, not from the roof (you could interrogate prisoners), decent room at your seats. Your basic $26 million ice palace.

Posted by: sockralex (170.202.22.---)
Date: February 02, 2010 04:02PM

I will be there. Looking forward to another Andy Bernard heckling from the drunk, incentivized Q fans.

You'd think a multi-million dollar palace would get them to go to the games, but they still need to cajole them to take the trek up to that hill.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 04:43PM

billhoward
They're building a fan base Cornell has had for two generations.

They're also building a Med School.

[www.courant.com]

Of the 3,600 colleges and universities in the country, only 89 have both a law school and a medical school, Lahey noted. "It clearly would move Quinnipiac into a very elite group: the top 100 universities in the country."

Posted by: Robb (---.76-83.cust.bluewin.ch)
Date: February 02, 2010 04:49PM

Of the 3,600 colleges and universities in the country, only 89 have both a law school and a medical school, Lahey noted. "It clearly would move Quinnipiac into a very elite group: the top 100 universities in the country."
Wow - if they add a business school*, they'll give #26 Union a run for its money. (running USCHO joke)

*no, I didn't look it up. Do they already have one?

Date: February 02, 2010 04:54PM

If you try to buy tickets through their website, it will appear that they don't have any left (or at least, no groups of two or more tickets together), but if you call them (203-582-3905), there are at least some tickets still available. Here's the seating chart, if anybody needs it.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2010 07:38PM

RichH
billhoward

[www.courant.com]

Just because they have professional schools doesn't mean they're any good

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2010 09:12PM

All of Quinnipiac undergrad is a business school, it seems, plus nursing and education. It has come a long way since it was a mediocre general business school in the New Haven area. The campus is nice albeit flat like a flood plain. What I don't get is the main campus, which appears to have lots of room, was not used for the hockey / hoops upperclass housing that's now on the mountain (The Mountain the way Bose is on the "The Mountain" in Framingham) a mile and a half away. Now you've got a split campus. It must make for awesome cocktail parties at sunset if you've got a dorm room up there. A neighbor's daughter is at Q and if it wasn't a party school then, it is now.

I like Q because my kid got in there (but didn't go on account of being a hockey goalie and not quite up to D1 hockey facing the likes of Cornell). I didn't like that Q said, "Welcome aboard, kid, that'll be $48,000, payable in two installments, good luck finding your own funding." Other places offered him up to a half-ride (academic/need side). Basically they were reserving their scholarship money to take really bright kids away from a Brown or Colgate or Vassar. Look at the college guides and the critics say, "It's like a country club." The fans say, "It's like a country club."

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2010 11:57PM

Pretty sure they only had tickets in one section (105) when I called the other day.

Date: February 03, 2010 11:40AM

scoop85
RichH
billhoward

[www.courant.com]

And it certainly doesn't mean they're good at hockey. (See, e.g., Harvard.)

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2010 11:55AM

Josh '99
scoop85
RichH
billhoward

[www.courant.com]

Haha, good one. You give me a call when Harvard gets a hockey team. *That* I'd like to see.

Date: February 04, 2010 03:55PM

RichH
Josh '99
scoop85
RichH
billhoward

[www.courant.com]

Haha, good one. You give me a call when Harvard gets a hockey team. *That* I'd like to see.
They could play in the Beanpot if they ever got a team. They wouldn't ever win, but they don't win it now either.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login