Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Colgate Pregame-Not a Game Thread

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Colgate Pregame-Not a Game Thread
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 24, 2009 01:41PM

I'm going, so this is not a game thread, but this quote from CU's page was interesting.

Colgate’s power play has converted 9-of-66 chances (13.6 percent) while killing off 54-of-66 opponents’ power plays (81.8 percent).
I guess we should hope for some penalties. Statistically it looks like if we played PP/PK all game we'd be OK.

Re: Colgate Pregame-Not a Game Thread
Posted by: amerks127 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: November 24, 2009 03:39PM

Jim Hyla
I guess we should hope for some penalties. Statistically it looks like if we played PP/PK all game we'd be OK.

Perhaps we should play shorthanded the entire game then?whistle

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: November 24, 2009 03:44PM

amerks127
Jim Hyla

What I should have said, and meant, was since our special teams stats are so much better, if we split PP/PK all game we'd be in good shape. And yes, I know all the uncertainties, etc....... And no I'm not intending for this to be a long discussion. I should have put a smiley and the end to signify I'm not serious.:-/

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 03:55PM

amerks127
Jim Hyla

Well, there's no rule against just sending fewer skaters out than you're allowed. :-}

Posted by: amerks127 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: November 24, 2009 04:04PM

Jim Hyla
amerks127
Jim Hyla

What I should have said, and meant, was since our special teams stats are so much better, if we split PP/PK all game we'd be in good shape. And yes, I know all the uncertainties, etc....... And no I'm not intending for this to be a long discussion. I should have put a smiley and the end to signify I'm not serious.:-/

No, I understood and your point and you are absolutely right. Since Colgate's difficult October stretch, they've had virtually the same results as Cornell in league games and they've put up five goals against the same teams we've scored five or more goals against (except Dartmouth). If Cornell can capitalize against Colgate's weaker special teams, it should be a happy Thanksgiving. Now that's a big if, however.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 04:37PM

Jim Hyla
Dunno about that, but 81% is an epic fail penalty kill.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 06:32PM

Ross in, Whitney out.

One of Colgate's big guns is out.

Posted by: adamw (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 10:07AM

Jim Hyla

Mark Morris-era Clarkson teams - of the 90s variety - used to do this to a 'T' ... Not sure I ever heard him directly admit this, but they were always up there in PIM - and probably, their opponents were too in those games. They always had the best special teams in the league, so why not.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 10:51AM

adamw
Mark Morris-era Clarkson teams - of the 90s variety - used to do this to a 'T' ... Not sure I ever heard him directly admit this, but they were always up there in PIM - and probably, their opponents were too in those games. They always had the best special teams in the league, so why not.
That only works if the other team obliges.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: November 25, 2009 11:49AM

Trotsky
adamw

I'd argue that was also a time when referees were more apt to make calls both ways just for the sake of balancing out each team's time in the box, which would allow for what Adam is suggesting.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 25, 2009 05:00PM

JasonN95
Trotsky
adamw

I'd argue that was also a time when referees were more apt to make calls both ways just for the sake of balancing out each team's time in the box, which would allow for what Adam is suggesting.

Don't forget the strategy of provoking a member of the other team's top line into matching minors (aka the Jeff Oates Special).

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login