Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Grillo Out at Brown

Posted by Chris '03 
Grillo Out at Brown
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.60.172.18.ded.snet.net)
Date: June 01, 2009 12:33PM

Apparently he's taking a job with USA Hockey and not being shown the door after his team literally quit on him this year.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Re: Grillo Out at Brown
Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2009 01:04PM

Chris, just curious, what do you mean by his team literally quitting on him?

Date: June 01, 2009 01:17PM

djk26
Chris, just curious, what do you mean by his team literally quitting on him?

A bunch of players, mostly freshmen IIRC, quit the team throughout the year.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 01, 2009 04:30PM

Remember when people thought Grillo would be the Next Great Thing?

That's a tough gig.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: June 01, 2009 04:43PM

Trotsky
Remember when people thought Grillo would be the Next Great Thing?

That's a tough gig.
I definitely remember. He came off the "glory" (if one first-place ECAC finish is glory) of the Perrin/St Louis/Thomas years at UVM with massive expectations at Brown. UVM fans gave Grillo a ton of credit for recruiting/developing the Elves, and many felt they were losing their heir apparent to Gilligan.

Now Grillo's out and UVM is nationally competitive again... What's that about hindsight?

Date: June 01, 2009 05:32PM

Robb

Now Grillo's out and UVM is nationally competitive again ... What's that about hindsight?

Not only that, but UVM is competitive again under the direction of a former Union head coach.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 01, 2009 05:34PM

Chris '03
Robb

Now Grillo's out and UVM is nationally competitive again ... What's that about hindsight?

Not only that, but UVM is competitive again under the direction of a former Union head coach.
It almost makes you think that having a school and an administration that cares about athletic success is somehow helpful.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2009 05:34PM by KeithK.

Roger Grillo leaves Brown
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: June 09, 2009 05:04PM

... to take a position with USA Hockey. Are they going to be less thuggish now?

Re: Roger Grillo leaves Brown
Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: June 09, 2009 06:06PM

Isn't that the same question we asked when Bob Gaudet left Brown for Dartmouth?

Also,
[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2009 10:05AM

Wow, I suck. How did I miss this for eight days? smashfreak

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: June 10, 2009 12:45PM

Josh '99
Please, Josh. The rest of us have known that you suck for a lot longer than eight days.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 10, 2009 05:14PM

ugarte
Josh '99
Please, Josh. The rest of us have known that you suck for a lot longer than eight days.

LOL.

Jerk.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2009 10:59PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte
Josh '99

LOL.

Jerk.

Typical. rolleyes

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 12, 2009 08:36PM

USHR is reporting that Digit Murphy, the Brown women's coach and a Cornell grad, has applied.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 07:32AM

ursusminor
USHR is reporting that Digit Murphy, the Brown women's coach and a Cornell grad, has applied.

Among the items in an impressive bio, Murphy has led Brown to five Ivy League titles, six ECAC regular season or tournament titles and four National Championship appearances.

So... hello, lawsuit!

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 03:55PM

While I think it would be awesome to have a major men's sport at a major college coached by a woman, part of me really hopes she doesn't get the job, simply because it would make me incredibly sad and angry to see the inevitable sexism rear its ugly head at my alma mater as people come up with "clever" taunts that revolve around Brown being coached by a woman. I'd like to think we're better than that, but I'm also realistic.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2009 05:21PM

Jerseygirl
it would make me incredibly sad and angry to see the inevitable sexism rear its ugly head at my alma mater as people come up with "clever" taunts that revolve around Brown being coached by a woman. I'd like to think we're better than that, but I'm also realistic.
Women are tougher than you seem to think: don't be such a girl. ;-)

On a realistic note, if I were the Brown AD, I'd be at least slightly concerned that a female coach might not truly appreciate the finer points of the men's game where it differs from the women's, notably hitting, and how those differences figure into strategy. As someone who's seen a lot of both, the men's and women's games are very, very different.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 05:40PM

Kyle Rose
Jerseygirl
it would make me incredibly sad and angry to see the inevitable sexism rear its ugly head at my alma mater as people come up with "clever" taunts that revolve around Brown being coached by a woman. I'd like to think we're better than that, but I'm also realistic.
Women are tougher than you seem to think: don't be such a girl. ;-)

On a realistic note, if I were the Brown AD, I'd be at least slightly concerned that a female coach might not truly appreciate the finer points of the men's game where it differs from the women's, notably hitting, and how those differences figure into strategy. As someone who's seen a lot of both, the men's and women's games are very, very different.

Oh, it's not that I'm concerned her widdle feelings would be hurt, I just don't want my school pride to be replaced by anger at sexist assholes.

I also wonder how having a female coach would impact recruiting. YMMV, but from my experiences hanging out at 109 Catherine, it was not exactly a bastion of liberalism and open-mindedness.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 08:09PM

Recruiting couild be the big issue. Not every 17-year-old hockey player, or his parents, may want to be part of a great experiment.

It might get Howard Stern's mind off Vivian Stringer and Rutgers for a couple of morning shows.

Twenty-five years ago, who'd have thought Brown would have a black woman as president. Or us a black man as President?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 10:24PM

Kyle Rose
So I guess no man could ever be successful as coach of a women's team.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2009 12:37AM

Al DeFlorio
I think your logic is somewhat flawed in an attempt to score a point against me. Let me spell it out for you: I believe it likely that at some point in the future coaching in women's hockey will be dominated by former women players, at which point men may simply have a hard time competing because they played a different game and don't understand how to coach a finesse game without hitting. (Or, lacking a vagina, understand how to relate to female players and their concerns on a personal level. Take your pick.) *shrug* I'm making no moral judgment about this one way or the other, but simply hypothesizing about what might be necessary prior experience for a good coach.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2009 01:50PM

Al DeFlorio
Kyle Rose

This ties in to a conversation I had with several UConn basketball fans about Geno Auriemma's career. Not only is Geno accepted as a male coach of a female team, but he's widely revered around these parts (There's a sign in a storefront on my ride to work that says "Geno is God";). I asked the question if someone with the knowledge and coaching excellence that someone like Pat Summitt possesses would ever get a chance to coach a Men's college team, and the general consensus was "no." I still struggle with trying to figure out why that is today, but unfortunately I think a lot of it comes down to issues that Jerseygirl touched on.

Yeah, it's a different sport, but there are some similar angles to the discussion.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.122.207.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2009 02:35PM

After the bio ugarte posted, I was going to ask what would prompt her to go from a successful women's program to a famously futile men's program--and what the gender-relational implications of that are--but it looks like the past few seasons haven't been so hot for the women's team either. More of a lateral move than I would have thought.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 14, 2009 05:04PM

For whatever reason, Digit Murphy has not been particularly successful in recent years coaching the Brown women's team. Since the ECAC has become a 12-team league paralleling the men's league and western traditional men's hockey powers have upgraded their women's programs, Brown's women's team has become quite similar to their men's program. Thanks to Union's women trailing the league, Brown has not been at the bottom, but it has been several years since they made the playoffs. How does this warrant what might be considered a promotion?

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2009 09:15PM

Also a factor in the downswing of the Brown Women's Ice hockey program is the upswing in the programs out west. In the early to mid 90's if a girl wanted to play ice hockey in college she had to go east. Now with Wisconsin, UMinn-TC and UMinn-Duluth having very competitive programs and an NC$$ tournament (before the Women's Collegiate Hockey championship was sponsored by USA Hockey), girls today have many more options, even at the DIII level.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: June 15, 2009 05:27AM

Rita
Also a factor in the downswing of the Brown Women's Ice hockey program is the upswing in the programs out west. In the early to mid 90's if a girl wanted to play ice hockey in college she had to go east. Now with Wisconsin, UMinn-TC and UMinn-Duluth having very competitive programs and an NC$$ tournament (before the Women's Collegiate Hockey championship was sponsored by USA Hockey), girls today have many more options, even at the DIII level.
I was pondering how this could lead to Brown's decline relative to other ECAC teams. I suppose that if the Western teams are siphoning off the cream of the crop, then the Eastern teams should be left in a state of greater parity, as they'd be drawing their players more from the center of the talent bell curve. I suppose in that situation, then very little things would start making the difference between the eastern teams - facilities, location, admissions, etc. I'm not remotely knowledgeable enough to speculate about which of these factors may be affecting Brown, though.

Date: June 15, 2009 06:51AM

RichH
Al DeFlorio
Kyle Rose

This ties in to a conversation I had with several UConn basketball fans about Geno Auriemma's career. Not only is Geno accepted as a male coach of a female team, but he's widely revered around these parts (There's a sign in a storefront on my ride to work that says "Geno is God";). I asked the question if someone with the knowledge and coaching excellence that someone like Pat Summitt possesses would ever get a chance to coach a Men's college team, and the general consensus was "no." I still struggle with trying to figure out why that is today, but unfortunately I think a lot of it comes down to issues that Jerseygirl touched on.

Yeah, it's a different sport, but there are some similar angles to the discussion.

Actually, you'd think it would be more likely to happen in basketball than hockey, since women's hoops has been around longer and has a much higher profile than women's hockey.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 29, 2009 12:38PM

Former Brown defenseman Brendan Whittet will be the new coach at Brown. He has spent the last 11 years as an assistant at Dartmouth.

[www.uscho.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: July 29, 2009 04:48PM

nyc94
Former Brown defenseman Brendan Whittet will be the new coach at Brown. He has spent the last 11 years as an assistant at Dartmouth.

[www.uscho.com]
So Grillo-Gaudet hacking will continue to be the order of business at Brown? That's a shame.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2009 09:16PM

>>> [USCHO] In 83 seasons of men’s ice hockey spanning 113 years, Brown has never won an ECAC Hockey regular-season or tournament title, nor a national championship, and hasn’t qualified for the NCAA tournament since Gaudet’s fifth season, 15 years ago.

Not quite like stepping into Joe Paterno's shoes.

But so long as they don't beat us with any regularity, it can only help the Ivies and ECAC if there are no pushovers.

Date: August 01, 2009 06:35AM

They did win the Ivies in 1995 though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login