Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Recruit- Armand De Swardt

Posted by Chris '03 
New Recruit- Armand De Swardt
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 04:21PM

Heisenberg and BRP both make note a new commitment today.

Armand De Swardt is a 1990 birthday and 6'5" forward most recently of the Dallas Stars AAA team.

BRP says:

McKeen's is very high on Armand and speaks of an impressive finishing ability due to having a "bone-rattling" wristshot. They also report he has good hands and mobility, especially for someone his size. He is also, not surprising, a very physical player.

He brings the average height of the recruits listed by Heisenberg for the next couple of years to over 6'1".

A giant with good hands who can finish? That could be fun.

Re: New Recruit- Armand De Swardt
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 04:42PM

Chris '03
I'll believe that he can finish at the colliegate level when I see it (especially wearing a carnellian and white jersey). But he sounds like a pretty good pickup.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 04:43PM by KeithK.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: November 18, 2008 07:15PM

Chris '03

All I can think is:

<Spaceballs>May De Swardt be with you!</Spaceballs>

:)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 09:05PM

Chris '03
Armand De Swardt is a 1990 birthday and 6'5" forward most recently of the Dallas Stars AAA team.
Born in Pretoria, South Africa. Grew up in Texas.

Posted by: sah67 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 09:06PM

Trotsky
Chris '03

The possibility of having three Texans on the team is weird and exciting at the same time...almost as exciting as the name Armand De Swardt. He sounds like a James Bond nemesis.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 09:40PM

"No Mister Biega, I expect you to die."

Posted by: bernie (---.echostar.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 09:59PM

have we been running lighter on nanaimo clippers as of late? i think garman was recruited several years ago and, prior to that, the devins had committed to cornell before nanaimo. any insights anyone?

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:23PM

Trotsky
Chris '03

How did you know he was from South Africa? I can't find a link anywhere.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:43PM

bernie
have we been running lighter on nanaimo clippers as of late? i think garman was recruited several years ago and, prior to that, the devins had committed to cornell before nanaimo. any insights anyone?
I don't have any inside information, but if I had to guess, I'd suppose that other college coaching staffs have caught on to what a good job Bill Bestwick does developing players and there's more competition for his recruits.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:44PM

ebilmes
Trotsky
Chris '03

Very first google entry was: [www.facebook.com]

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 10:48PM

Al DeFlorio
ebilmes
Trotsky
Chris '03

Very first google entry was: [www.facebook.com]

I got that far, but I was curious about the Pretoria part. Sorry, I should have specified.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.sip.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2008 07:38AM

[forums.internationalhockey.net]

Quoting:

"Armand de Swardt is South African. Plays Major Midget AAA for the Dallas Stars.
I believe he's from Pretoria. BY 90'. I've met him and played against him and he's a damn good player. He will definitely be seen in the NAHL or USHL in a year or two.

Only catch is he was most definitely raised in Texas. The only South African thing about him is the place he was born."

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 02:09PM

pfibiger
http://forums.internationalhockey.net/showthread.php?p=99276

Quoting:

"Armand de Swardt is South African. Plays Major Midget AAA for the Dallas Stars.
I believe he's from Pretoria. BY 90'. I've met him and played against him and he's a damn good player. He will definitely be seen in the NAHL or USHL in a year or two.

Only catch is he was most definitely raised in Texas. The only South African thing about him is the place he was born."
This was my source -- I missed the "I believe" part. All I know is "We are marching to Pretoria," an extremely un-PC song they taught us in third grade back in the Paleozoic Era:

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: November 19, 2008 02:58PM

Trotsky
pfibiger
http://forums.internationalhockey.net/showthread.php?p=99276

Quoting:

This was my source -- I missed the "I believe" part. All I know is "We are marching to Pretoria," an extremely un-PC song they taught us in third grade back in the Paleozoic Era:

?????

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: November 20, 2008 09:13AM

We gain one, we lose one. Jordan Escott, who was coming in 2010, left his junior team to play for the PEI Rocket of the QMJHL:

[www.amherstdaily.com]

Escott was given a scholarship to NCAA Division 1 Cornell University in 2010. Giving up the scholarship to play with the Rocket also made the decision tough.
“Cornell treated me like gold,” Escott said.

Escott played with 2009 recruits Nick D'Agostino and Braden Birch for Team Canada East in the Word Junior A Championship a couple weeks ago. As recently as a week ago he was talking about meeting them, and knowing people when he headed to Cornell:

[thechronicleherald.ca]

"And to play with Braden and Nick was great. They were unbelievable guys. They said my play will take care of itself, not to worry about hockey, just stay on top of school. They said I have the talent and the work ethic.

"And they told me how awesome it is at Cornell. Now, when I get there, I’ll know a few players and won’t have to worry about not knowing anyone."

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: November 20, 2008 01:07PM

pfibiger
We gain one, we lose one. Jordan Escott, who was coming in 2010, left his junior team to play for the PEI Rocket of the QMJHL:

[www.amherstdaily.com]

Escott was given a scholarship to NCAA Division 1 Cornell University in 2010. Giving up the scholarship to play with the Rocket also made the decision tough.

Did you see the reader comments? $150,000-$200,000. It's tough to compete with that...if it's true.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.175.---)
Date: November 20, 2008 01:33PM

ithacat
pfibiger

[www.amherstdaily.com]

Did you see the reader comments? $150,000-$200,000. It's tough to compete with that...if it's true.

Not if we had the USC boosters who remunerated Reggie Bush when he played there. ;-)

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: November 20, 2008 02:14PM

ithacat
pfibiger

[www.amherstdaily.com]

And that's Canadian dollars, which I believe is now $2 million US.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 02:30PM

ugarte
ithacat
And that's Canadian dollars, which I believe is now $2 million US.
Actually sanity has been restored. $1 US = 1.28 loonies today.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.nyls.edu)
Date: November 20, 2008 02:32PM

pfibiger

[www.amherstdaily.com]

Escott played with 2009 recruits Nick D'Agostino and Braden Birch for Team Canada East in the Word Junior A Championship a couple weeks ago. As recently as a week ago he was talking about meeting them, and knowing people when he headed to Cornell:

[thechronicleherald.ca]

"And to play with Braden and Nick was great. They were unbelievable guys. They said my play will take care of itself, not to worry about hockey, just stay on top of school. They said I have the talent and the work ethic.

"And they told me how awesome it is at Cornell. Now, when I get there, I’ll know a few players and won’t have to worry about not knowing anyone."

How does that team afford salaries like that?

Their rink is smaller than Lynah

Date: November 20, 2008 02:39PM

this blogger thinks that Escott just used Cornell to drive up PEI's offer. I'm not quite as cynical, but it is possible:

[theworldofjuniorhockey.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2008 06:04PM

pfibiger
this blogger thinks that Escott just used Cornell to drive up PEI's offer. I'm not quite as cynical, but it is possible:

I don't know about that, but at least he got this right,

(I say that because I believe Cornell is an Ivy League school which don't give out atheltic scholarships.).

even if he can't write or spell in correct English.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: June 02, 2009 10:10AM

pfibiger

Ancient news now, but here's an old fluff piece about it, and hey, it's June. Also tangentially relevant re: the potential with Brisson.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.207.27.24.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2009 11:13AM

Trotsky
pfibiger

Ancient news now, but here's an old fluff piece about it, and hey, it's June. Also tangentially relevant re: the potential with Brisson.

Brisson was drafted 8th in the USHL, he's headed to Omaha next year (where Keir Ross played, as well as Louis Leblanc, another star Quebecer headed to the ECAC). They wouldn't have drafted him that high if he hadn't made a firm commitment to come play in the NCAA. I have pretty high hopes that he'll make it to Ithaca in 2010. PEI has pushed hard for him a couple of times with no success, according to the QMJHL East forums. Of course his rights could be traded to a team that he's more interested in, but I am cautiously optimistic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login