Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

State of the ELynah Address

Posted by CowbellGuy 
State of the ELynah Address
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2009 03:29PM

Just wanted to give an update on how ELynah did this year and what's to come. The following ELF stats are from mid-October since I accidentally commented out the Google Analytics code during the summer.

ELynah Forum By Numbers (October 18 2008-March 29 2009)
178,673 Visits
2,198,597 Pageviews
12.31 Pages/Visit
10:25 Average Time on Site
12.15% New Visits
22,456 Visitors from 81 countries
Busiest Day: March 29, 2009 (3,009 visits. 1,241 visitors)
Best Google search leading to ELF: "take that you stinking badgers"

ELynah by Numbers (March 30 2008-March 29 2009)
85,370 Visits
117,891 Pageviews
18.03% New Visits
16,283 Visitors from 64 countries
Busiest Day: March 29, 2009 (655 visitors)
Best Google search leading to ELynah: "hockey homoeroticism"

Another excellent year for ELynah and the forum, and primary thanks goes to all of you for making ELF an intelligent, vibrant community worth visiting. You may have noticed the Google Ads are gone. It was largely an experiment and didn't really blow me away. Ultimately I decided my soul was worth more than $30 or $40 a month.

I'm a little surprised at the number of visitors to the main site, since it's admittedly lacking in content. The cheers page remains popular and could use some tending-to. Photos did reasonably well, but I'd still love to have more content, so if anyone would like to contribute in some way, please drop me a line.

The Future

The first thing on my slate is to update the forum to the current version of the software that it runs on. I plan on using proper plugins and mods for all the modifications to the core code I've relied on up to now. That will allow for any future updates to be relatively seamless, and there are some nice new features that I'd like to get on here. It will require reworking the template, but it probably won't change a lot visually. It will just need to be changed to comply with the current version, and I'm assured it will work with the next big revision due in a few months.

The other thing that is going to get some much-needed attention is the database. I plan on working with ACM's exhaustive archives and research to get what should be definitive versions of box scores (or as much as is available) back to the 50s. I'm planning on redoing the box score algorithm to address some errors and clean up the code. The site itself will also get a redesign and once the data is all in there, exhaustive stats and records will be available.

There's one other thing on the horizon that isn't necessarily ELynah-related, but certainly college hockey-related that many of you will likely find of interest. Just not ready to divulge anything yet.

So that's it in a nutshell. Thanks to everyone for another great year.

Re: State of the ELynah Address
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 03:33PM

Thanks for keeping the site running so we can all call each other typical jerks.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 03:34PM

As always, thanks for all the hard work you put in, Age.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 03:40PM

CowbellGuy
The Future

The first thing on my slate is to update the forum to the current version of the software that it runs on. I plan on using proper plugins and mods for all the modifications to the core code I've relied on up to now. That will allow for any future updates to be relatively seamless, and there are some nice new features that I'd like to get on here. It will require reworking the template, but it probably won't change a lot visually
You mean except for moving the menu bar back to the left side of the screen, right? :-D

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: March 30, 2009 04:26PM

CowbellGuy
There's one other thing on the horizon that isn't necessarily ELynah-related, but certainly college hockey-related that many of you will likely find of interest. Just not ready to divulge anything yet.
Jerk. whistle

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 04:53PM

Here's my personal shameless plug to remind you all, if you haven't recently, to serious consider hitting the 'Donate' button over there -->

The fact that Age holds himself up to such high standards, that he'll give up the income to keep the site 'pure' in his mind, speaks volumes. Second only to the quality we witness every day. Whether its $5, $10, or a lot more, Age currently covers significant costs to host this site. If you can afford to chip in these days, please seriously consider it.

Thanks again, Age.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 04:53PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 05:08PM

CowbellGuy
The other thing that is going to get some much-needed attention is the database. I plan on working with ACM's exhaustive archives and research to get what should be definitive versions of box scores (or as much as is available) back to the 50s. I'm planning on redoing the box score algorithm to address some errors and clean up the code. The site itself will also get a redesign and once the data is all in there, exhaustive stats and records will be available.

Which means I can finally stop. I love it when a plan comes together.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 05:13PM

Trotsky
CowbellGuy

Which means I can finally stop. I love it when a plan comes together.

Are you sure you're really going to stop? It's not some sort of OCD thing for you? :-P

Date: March 30, 2009 05:26PM

judy
Are you sure you're really going to stop? It's not some sort of OCD thing for you? :-P

I just want the data entered. Entering it I can live without (and Age has access to the 600+ games entered for TBRW, so I think I can live with the free rider guilt).

Posted by: lynah80 (---.MED.UPENN.EDU)
Date: March 30, 2009 05:56PM

Thank you for keeping this site going. It's a great place for stress relief for many.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 05:57PM by lynah80.

Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 06:21PM

ignore
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 06:22PM by sah67.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 06:44PM

DeltaOne81
Here's my personal shameless plug to remind you all, if you haven't recently, to serious consider hitting the 'Donate' button over there -->

The fact that Age holds himself up to such high standards, that he'll give up the income to keep the site 'pure' in his mind, speaks volumes. Second only to the quality we witness every day. Whether its $5, $10, or a lot more, Age currently covers significant costs to host this site. If you can afford to chip in these days, please seriously consider it.

Thanks again, Age.

Good call Fred. Thank you Age for giving us such a great message board.

Posted by: BMac (74.12.29.---)
Date: March 30, 2009 06:50PM

I like ELynah. I like hockey.

Hooray.

Yes, I'm drunk. Ah, next season...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 07:09PM

lynah80
Thank you for keeping this site going. It's a great place for stress relief for many.
Cornell hockey is about stress relief? I'd be so, so much more relaxed and happy right now if I weren't a hockey fan. But then I got home last night loudly saying "I hate sports!"

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2009 07:46PM

KeithK
lynah80
Cornell hockey is about stress relief? I'd be so, so much more relaxed and happy right now if I weren't a hockey fan. But then I got home last night loudly saying "I hate sports!"
No you wouldn't. You'd be paying more attention to the government takeover of the auto industry.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2009 08:06PM

Age, I obviously second, third and more, all the work that you do. Even if it means some Bemidji "fan" gets to post about me.:-D And I also second the request for all that can, and we all can if only a couple of bucks, to contribute.

And I guess this is as good a place as any to say to everyone, you all are great fans and add to the Cornell hockey tradition. Everyone who posts here, well almost everyone:-}, adds to what we all enjoy. Whether it's here or at games or otherwise, I can't think of a community that I'm more proud of. (and don't ding me about the of.)

So again Age, THANK YOU, for without this forum many of us would not have gotten to meet these other "fine"nut people.

Posted by: ChipJ (146.189.136.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 09:50AM

Yes, thank you. I have wasted spent way too much time reading here. It is the only source for Cornell hockey.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 04:29PM

CowbellGuy
The first thing on my slate is to update the forum to the current version of the software that it runs on. I plan on using proper plugins and mods for all the modifications to the core code I've relied on up to now. That will allow for any future updates to be relatively seamless, and there are some nice new features that I'd like to get on here.

Pleeease tell me there will be an 'ignore user' feature :-)

Posted by: Drew (199.43.32.---)
Date: March 31, 2009 04:45PM

DeltaOne81
CowbellGuy
The first thing on my slate is to update the forum to the current version of the software that it runs on. I plan on using proper plugins and mods for all the modifications to the core code I've relied on up to now. That will allow for any future updates to be relatively seamless, and there are some nice new features that I'd like to get on here.

Pleeease tell me there will be an 'ignore user' feature :-)

On that note, thanks for letting visitors visit burnout

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 05:17PM

Drew
I don't think anyone here doesn't welcome visitors who add something cogent to the discussion.

Posted by: HockeyMan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2009 05:47PM

As a relative newcomer to the site, I wish to say thank you, thank you, thank you--for all the hard work you're doing to maintain ELF and for your "update" post at the top of this thread. Reading the numbers and the plans re "The Future" had a strangely tonic effect on me, after the Sunday evening disaster.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 09:30PM

Al DeFlorio
Drew
I don't think anyone here doesn't welcome visitors who add something cogent to the discussion.

Agreed. I enjoy Drew and Dpperk postings as well as those from our RPI friends.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 09:41PM

Rita
Al DeFlorio
Drew

Agreed. I enjoy Drew and Dpperk postings as well as those from our RPI friends.
We haven't heard from Mark from BU lately but he's added much in the past and even taken the trouble to mail me clippings about Cornell hockey exploits from days gone by. Will always be grateful for that kind of thoughtfulness--the mark of a true college hockey fan, not just a partisan.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2009 10:09PM

Drew
It's more than just "letting" - your visits are appreciated. As I said to another Elynah veteran on Friday night while online chatting, you and others (and I mentioned your name and others) lend a valuable perspective and sound hockey insights.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 31, 2009 10:58PM

jkahn
Drew
It's more than just "letting" - your visits are appreciated. As I said to another Elynah veteran on Friday night while online chatting, you and others (and I mentioned your name and others) lend a valuable perspective and sound hockey insights.

We should try to get you guys to join the chats too, for that matter. Back in the CHDF days, we had #clarkson and #cornell channels on the chat, and some of us would hang out in both.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Drew (199.43.48.---)
Date: April 01, 2009 09:39AM

jtwcornell91
jkahn
Drew

We should try to get you guys to join the chats too, for that matter. Back in the CHDF days, we had #clarkson and #cornell channels on the chat, and some of us would hang out in both.
Well, thanks for the kind words. As jkahn states, it is important we all get a different perspective and see things from the other side of the fence. I certainly will be rooting for you guys next year as you play the rest of the league for second place.;-)

(Oh yeah, there is always room for the little zinger :-} )

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2009 11:31AM

Drew
jtwcornell91
jkahn
Drew

Well, thanks for the kind words. As jkahn states, it is important we all get a different perspective and see things from the other side of the fence. I certainly will be rooting for you guys next year as you play the rest of the league for second place.;-)

(Oh yeah, there is always room for the little zinger :-} )

And as I've said, if you ever win the NCAAs, I want that damn bell to ring for 24 hours straight.

Of course, if you ever win it you might turn into Red Sox fans. uhoh

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 01, 2009 11:57AM

jtwcornell91

This is no place for personal insults.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: April 01, 2009 12:32PM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91

<predictable response>

Date: April 01, 2009 01:49PM

ugarte
Trotsky
jtwcornell91

<predictable response>
<inevitable retort>

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: April 01, 2009 02:15PM

Trotsky
ugarte
Trotsky
jtwcornell91

<predictable response>
<inevitable retort>
<overused meme>

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: April 01, 2009 05:34PM

RichH
Trotsky
ugarte
Trotsky
jtwcornell91

<predictable response>
<inevitable retort>
<overused meme>
<oversensitive comment based on misunderstanding the previous replies>

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: April 02, 2009 06:24PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
Trotsky
ugarte
Trotsky
jtwcornell91

<predictable response>
<inevitable retort>
<overused meme>
<oversensitive comment based on misunderstanding the previous replies>
<jerks>

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2009 10:09PM

Let me add my thanks to you, Age. It's been an exciting season.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2009 05:56PM

All players and rosters in the modern (Lynah) era are now in the database. I'll make a more formal roster page, but for now you can search by name or look at stats for a year to see the roster. Player info, numbers, C/A, etc. is all there. Feel free to let me know if you see any mistakes.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2009 08:37PM

Thanks Age. This is the first place I go when I'm looking for college hockey (and lax!) chatter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login