Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

"Men's Hockey Rejects Policy of Payback"

Posted by sah67 
"Men's Hockey Rejects Policy of Payback"
Posted by: sah67 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 12:48AM

Schafer and the players make it clear in this article from today's Sun that they're not out for Burgdoerfer's head when RPI visits Lynah in February...just in case any RPI fans are still obsessing over Schafer's post-game "threat":

[cornellsun.com]

Also note the continued proliferation of false statements gleaned from internet message boards, particularly in regards to our "top powerplay unit" being on the ice at the end of the game ;)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2009 01:04AM by sah67.

Re: "Men's Hockey Rejects Policy of Payback"
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2009 02:17AM

I thought the article was interesting because it paints a completely different view of the situation from Brandon Thomas' column from last week.

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Schafer went from labeling Burgdoerfer a marked man to sounding downright sympathetic to his situation.

Guess we'll have to wait until Feb. 20 to find out.

Posted by: lynah80 (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 04:49AM

By making the statement that he did, Schafer helps the Big Red a lot. If he had said anything vindictive, the refs would be more likely to call penalties against Cornell to protect Burgdoefer and to keep the game under control. Consider what happened in Michigan last week.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2009 05:37AM by lynah80.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 08:00AM

Schafer has already taken this tone in pre-game interviews with Jason.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: January 30, 2009 09:56AM

lynah80
By making the statement that he did, Schafer helps the Big Red a lot. If he had said anything vindictive, the refs would be more likely to call penalties against Cornell to protect Burgdoefer and to keep the game under control. Consider what happened in Michigan last week.

Yikes, that was ugly. At full speed, it looks like the check might've been knee-on-knee (although when you watch the slow-mo replay, I don't think it is), which I assume is what riled up the MSU players. The sucker punch was bad; the slash to the head/torso by Tropp while the Mich guy lay on the ice was worse. Can someone save me the hassle of looking up what the aftermath was and tell my what sort of penalties/suspensions the MSU players got?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: January 30, 2009 10:07AM

Is it possible that the league had a word with Schafer after his post-game comments at RPI, which caused him to change his tune (at least publicly)?

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: January 30, 2009 10:13AM

JasonN95
Can someone save me the hassle of looking up what the aftermath was and tell my what sort of penalties/suspensions the MSU players got?

No. It should be easy to find yourself. :-D

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 10:35AM

So a colleague of mine played hockey for RPI maybe 15 years ago and is friendly with the team/coaches. He claims that RPI is claiming that Cornell left an "aggressive" note in the locker room upon leaving after the game.

Heresy. I know. But it srikes me as totally uncharacteristic of this team.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 10:45AM

RichH
JasonN95
Can someone save me the hassle of looking up what the aftermath was and tell my what sort of penalties/suspensions the MSU players got?

Here you go.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2009 10:54AM

ugarte
RichH
JasonN95

Here you go.

That's just mean, ugarte.

Here's a genuinely helpful link.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: January 30, 2009 11:42AM

*Everybody* is a comedian. Don't quit your day jobs, people. :-P

Michigan St. vs. Michigan
Posted by: lynah80 (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 11:43AM

Both Michigan St. players were kicked off the team for the rest of the season. One of them dropped out of school.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

[www.collegehockeynews.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2009 11:49AM by lynah80.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 12:33PM

Beeeej
ugarte
RichH
JasonN95

Here you go.

That's just mean, ugarte.

Here's a genuinely helpful link.
Alternately, he might find this to be useful.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: January 30, 2009 12:37PM

Troy Record article [www.troyrecord.com] discussing both the author's and ECAC Director of Officials Paul Stewart's takes on Burgdoerfer's penalty and ECAC officiating.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2009 12:39PM by ursusminor.

Date: January 30, 2009 12:46PM

ursusminor
Troy Record article [www.troyrecord.com] discussing both the author's and ECAC Director of Officials Paul Stewart's takes on Burgdoerfer's penalty and ECAC officiating.
I'm just shocked, SHOCKED, that a sports writer for RPI's local newspaper disagrees with the suspension.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.eas.cornell.edu)
Date: January 30, 2009 12:51PM

ursusminor

Strange article. The title is "ECACH Erred in Burgdoerfer Suspension," yet Paul Stewart fully endorsed it. The author reaches his conclusion, "flatly, the ECACH erred in tacking on a two-game suspension to Burgdoerfer’s infraction," by way of some shoddy reasoning.

Date: January 30, 2009 12:52PM

Josh '99
ursusminor
I'm just shocked, SHOCKED, that a sports writer for RPI's local newspaper disagrees with the suspension.
I am shocked that a Cornell alum is shocked. whistle

Posted by: ben03 (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 12:53PM

that was nasty ... like Patty Roy and the Québec Remparts nasty. very happy to hear the UM player is okay and the MSU coach came down hard and fast on his players. here's hoping we won't see anything like this in our games in the foreseeable future.

... and Burgdoerfer is still a goon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2009 12:54PM by ben03.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: January 30, 2009 01:03PM

I've been following the UM/MSU situation (went to grad school @ UM)............the Michigan kid who got jacked up was the same kid who got body slammed by a football player and broke a few vertebrae. Apparently his father went into the visitors locker room and was about to get into it with one of the MSU "assailants" who had been booted from the game. It was a bad situation all around.

I don't think an eye for an eye works well in college hockey, or really any level of hockey. Ask Todd Bertuzzi. I think that intentionally trying to hurt somebody is disgusting. In my mind, it's the coaching staff's duty to try to calm everyone down and keep a level head. Clean hits, ok. No problem with that.

Date: January 30, 2009 01:33PM

See now, that was useful. I've been looking for some new dance moves.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2009 02:02PM

Troy Record
It just seems apparent that had Burgdoerfer not accumulated 57 penalty minutes prior to the Cornell-RPI game, hadn’t had a major and game misconduct penalty one night earlier and hadn’t slashed a Cornell player seconds before the hit on Davenport,...

And, flatly, the ECACH erred in tacking on a two-game suspension to Burgdoerfer’s infraction.
No, he's just sweet as can be.

Date: January 30, 2009 02:17PM

ursusminor
Josh '99
ursusminor
Well I'm shocked that you're shocked that I'm shocked. :-D

Date: January 30, 2009 02:24PM

Josh '99
ursusminor
Josh '99
ursusminor
Well I'm shocked that you're shocked that I'm shocked. :-D
Shocking! :-P

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2009 03:20PM

The team didn't retaliate for the Scali hit last year. There were some threats yelled across the ice in Troy after that hit but if they did anything at Lynah it surely wasn't obvious.

I was hopeful that the same restraint would rule this year. We'll all be watching.

Posted by: RedAndBlue'08 (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2009 07:25PM

Just an update from Michigan. Kampfer (guy who got taken down) is doing ok with just a sore neck the next day. Tropp and Conboy are both off the team, and I believe both now have dropped out of school. There is a possibility of them re-enrolling next year.

Kampfer just had a day in court regarding the football player that assaulted him resulting in his earlier skull fracture. They're investigating the on-ice incident to decide if charges will be pressed.

After Kampfer went down his father broke into MSU's locker room to confront Conboy. I don't think much will come of it but he has been banned from most athletic buildings on campus.

Kampfer may play this weekend. They're taking on Notre Dame today so they'll need all the help they can get.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: January 30, 2009 08:18PM

RedAndBlue'08
Just an update from Michigan. Kampfer (guy who got taken down) is doing ok with just a sore neck the next day. Tropp and Conboy are both off the team, and I believe both now have dropped out of school. There is a possibility of them re-enrolling next year.

Kampfer just had a day in court regarding the football player that assaulted him resulting in his earlier skull fracture. They're investigating the on-ice incident to decide if charges will be pressed.

After Kampfer went down his father broke into MSU's locker room to confront Conboy. I don't think much will come of it but he has been banned from most athletic buildings on campus.

Kampfer may play this weekend. They're taking on Notre Dame today so they'll need all the help they can get.

What?

(Sorry. Never mind. Now I see all of the previous messages talking about this incident)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2009 08:50PM by Roy 82.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login