Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Polls 1/5/09 (Cornell #6/8)

Posted by Chris '03 
Polls 1/5/09 (Cornell #6/8)
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2009 02:27PM

Cornell up to 8 with 1 first place vote in the USCHO:
1	Notre Dame	(47)	16-3-2	994	1
2	Boston University( 2)	13-4-1	940	3
3	Minnesota		10-3-5	886	4
4	Northeastern		12-4-2	782	6
5	Denver		        13-6-2	720	5
6	Miami		        12-5-3	697	2
7	Princeton		13-3-0	690	8
8	Cornell	( 1)	        9-1-3	673	10
9	Boston College		9-5-2	660	7
10	Colorado College	11-6-5	534	9
10	Michigan		13-7-0	534	12
12	Vermont		        11-4-2	513	13
13	New Hampshire		9-6-3	298	15
14	Air Force		15-4-1	288	11
15	Dartmouth		9-5-0	198	20
16	Ohio State		13-6-1	197	NR
17	Wisconsin		10-9-3	153	14
18	Nebraska-Omaha		12-6-3	130	16
19	Alaska		        10-6-4	123	18
20	Minnesota-Duluth	9-5-6	118	NR
Others Receiving Votes: Quinnipiac 111, North Dakota 88, Minnesota State 86, Yale 33, Maine 30, Massachusetts 8, St. Cloud State 7, Michigan State 6, Niagara 3

#6 with 1 first place in USA Today:
1	Notre Dame	        504	(32)	1	16-3-2
2	Boston University	472	(1)	3	13-4-1
3	University of Minnesota	435		4	10-3-5
4	Northeastern University	360		6	12-4-2
5	Princeton University	332		8	13-3-0
6	Cornell University	316	(1)	9	9-1-3
7	University of Denver	309		5	13-6-2
8	Miami (Ohio) University	277		2	12-5-3
9	Boston College	        261		7	9-5-2
10	University of Vermont	218		13	11-4-2
11	University of Michigan	200		11	13-7-0
12	Colorado College	164		10	11-6-5
13	UNH	                74		14	9-6-3
14	U.S. Air Force Academy	50		12	15-4-1
15	Ohio State University	38		NR	13-6-1
Others receiving votes: Quinnipiac University 18, Dartmouth College 14, University of Maine 8, University of Nebraska Omaha 8, University of Wisconsin 8, Yale University 6, University of North Dakota 4, University of Alaska 2, Michigan State University 2. 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2009 02:46PM by Chris '03.

Re: Polls 1/5/09 (Cornell #6/8)
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: January 05, 2009 02:57PM

I saw some of BU's win over Denver, and they were extremely impressive.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.allfirst.com)
Date: January 05, 2009 03:17PM

Any thoughts as to who might be giving Cornell their first place vote?

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2009 03:45PM

Goon from North Dakota?

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: January 05, 2009 03:48PM

Who the hell is giving us first-place votes?

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2009 04:07PM

Kyle Rose

Someone who thinks record is the most important consideration.

Posted by: Trotsky (199.46.170.---)
Date: January 05, 2009 04:29PM

CM cWo 44
Kyle Rose

PWR, probably.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 05, 2009 05:10PM

Trotsky
CM cWo 44
Kyle Rose

PWR, probably.
If you believe strongly in the ranking systems then it makes complete sense to vote for Cornell. Or Princeton, for that matter - they've been right up at the top along with us. The voters appear to be trusting more in their subjective assesments of who they think is best and are opting for ND (6th in both PWR and KRACH). Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Polls are supposed to be subjective. [Obligatory disclaimer:] Fortunately we get to decide things on the ice.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2009 05:27PM

Still having a problem with being placed--subjectively--behind Princeton in the polls, [Sorry, Beeej.;-)] especially given the Tigers' fine performance yesterday. Do I care? No. [That's to avoid the usual ration of crap from the peanut gallery.uhoh] But it just puzzles me.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2009 05:35PM

Al DeFlorio
Still having a problem with being placed--subjectively--behind Princeton in the polls, [Sorry, Beeej.;-)] especially given the Tigers' fine performance yesterday. Do I care? No. [That's to avoid the usual ration of crap from the peanut gallery.uhoh] But it just puzzles me.

No problem, Awl.

Mathematically, it's possible that a majority of poll voters placed us ahead of Princeton, but a small minority of them placed us far enough behind Princeton to make up for it (despite even a first-place vote). They're stupid, stupid people, Al, and clearly they should be shot.

(In addition to everything I said last time, polls almost always reflect trends, not just immediate records and PWR. Princeton started off higher, and Cornell started off lower, so any convergence resulting from Cornell performing better than Princeton was going to be gradual as long as Princeton didn't completely tank. If the voters had yanked Cornell up several spots and Princeton down several a month ago, then Cornell had lost even a single game on a weekend when Princeton swept, they'd look pretty goofy. Movement is slow. If Cornell "deserves" to be ahead of Princeton in the polls, eventually they'll get there.)

(Plus, the polls still don't actually matter.) :-)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2009 05:36PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2009 08:17PM

Beeeej
(In addition to everything I said last time, polls almost always reflect trends, not just immediate records and PWR. Princeton started off higher, and Cornell started off lower, so any convergence resulting from Cornell performing better than Princeton was going to be gradual as long as Princeton didn't completely tank.

True, so true and exactly why I think there should not be any polls till at least the season is 1/3 completed, in every sport. Not that I ever expect it will happen,bang but if we realize that you can't come out with an accurate computer ranking till about 1/2 way through, why do we think humans are that much smarter?screwy or is it?drunk

Date: January 05, 2009 08:28PM

Jim Hyla
Beeeej
(In addition to everything I said last time, polls almost always reflect trends, not just immediate records and PWR. Princeton started off higher, and Cornell started off lower, so any convergence resulting from Cornell performing better than Princeton was going to be gradual as long as Princeton didn't completely tank.

True, so true and exactly why I think there should not be any polls till at least the season is 1/3 completed, in every sport. Not that I ever expect it will happen,bang but if we realize that you can't come out with an accurate computer ranking till about 1/2 way through, why do we think humans are that much smarter?screwy or is it?drunk

We bother because while you're right to an extent, people will always disagree about when it's worth bothering and how accurate poll voters are, and so if you think it should start at the beginning of January, but I think mid-December, you'll think I'm as crazy as I think the guy is who wants to start in late November. Since you'll never get a consensus on how long after the beginning to start, and since we do at least have some knowledge about returning players and incoming rookies, there's no good reason not to start at the beginning.

Plus, who said it was about humans being "smarter"? I don't think the poll is ever intended to predict the season's outcome, I think it's intended to reflect exactly what it reflects - the opinions of the voters in any given week.

My problem is with the final poll of the season, which if I recall correctly comes after the first two rounds of the NCAAs. That's definitely a "why bother?" situation.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2009 08:29PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: dragonfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2009 08:41PM

We did beat princeton but it was the first game of the season and it was a close game. We got out shot by like 20 or so,they are just waiting for the game at lynah that will decide alot.

Date: January 05, 2009 08:51PM

dragonfan
We did beat princeton but it was the first game of the season and it was a close game. We got out shot by like 20 or so,they are just waiting for the game at lynah that will decide alot.

I can assure you with nearly 100% certainty that absolutely none of the poll voters thought to themselves, "Well, Princeton and Cornell haven't played at Lynah yet, and the shutout on the road might have been a fluke because the Big Red got badly outshot, so I'm going to leave Princeton ahead of Cornell for now" before sending in their votes. Except perhaps Guy Gadowsky, if he's got a vote.

Really, I would be surprised if any of the voters take more than three minutes filling out their ballots each week, after maybe four minutes scanning the previous week's results. We spend way more time debating it here than I think any voter does, probably by degrees of magnitude.

Plus, remember, a lot of the voters are in the west, never see us play personally, and haven't the slightest idea of the relative strengths of two sissy-Ivy schools who wouldn't know a real college hockey program if it came up to them and offered them a full scholarship in Canadian dollars, but they do remember Princeton won the ECACs last year and haven't lost many games, so by golly, I'll give 'em a few points.

- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2009 08:53PM by Beeeej.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2009 09:18PM

Polls were invented by newspapers to generate interest, sell copies, and make money. They've never been anything more than that.

Posted by: dbilmes (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 05, 2009 09:22PM

Trotsky
Polls were invented by newspapers to generate interest, sell copies, and make money. They've never been anything more than that.
Based upon how newspapers are going belly up financially, it appears the polls aren't doing their job!

Date: January 05, 2009 09:26PM

dbilmes
Trotsky
Based upon how newspapers are going belly up financially, it appears the polls aren't doing their job!

You don't know that. They could be keeping the newspapers from going belly up financially faster. :-)

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2009 09:26PM

dbilmes
Trotsky

Because they've been usurped by web sites like USCHO and INCH.

Date: January 05, 2009 10:38PM

Beeeej
Jim Hyla
Beeeej

We bother because while you're right to an extent, people will always disagree about when it's worth bothering and how accurate poll voters are, and so if you think it should start at the beginning of January, but I think mid-December, you'll think I'm as crazy as I think the guy is who wants to start in late November. Since you'll never get a consensus on how long after the beginning to start, and since we do at least have some knowledge about returning players and incoming rookies, there's no good reason not to start at the beginning.

Plus, who said it was about humans being "smarter"? I don't think the poll is ever intended to predict the season's outcome, I think it's intended to reflect exactly what it reflects - the opinions of the voters in any given week.

My problem is with the final poll of the season, which if I recall correctly comes after the first two rounds of the NCAAs. That's definitely a "why bother?" situation.

But the first bold of your quote is the exact good reason why I think polls shouldn't start at the beginning of the season. While in hockey they may not matter, they certainly do in football.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 05, 2009 11:03PM

Jim Hyla
But the first bold of your quote is the exact good reason why I think polls shouldn't start at the beginning of the season. While in hockey they may not matter, they certainly do in football.
Your objection assumes that a lack of a formal poll implies a lack of opinions. You wouldn't have to ban polling, you'd have to ban all informal comparisons of teams to each other or any newspaper from making a top 20 list. If the polls weren't taken and all of the newspapers had a single columnist that ranked the teams, someone would aggregate the polls and that would become the defacto ranking until the official polls were released. The BCS tries to hide the rankings until midseason but it isn't hard to find an unofficial BCS ranking after the first week of competition.

Polls are collections of opinions. They are as good as the data that goes in, which is why the first week's polls usually look silly at the end of the year. But so what? The early polls are strictly for bullshitting at the bar - if you didn't have the polls, what would you argue with? And how would the networks advertise an early-season game between two 'highly ranked' teams if, well, nobody was ranked?

You are arguing against the tides, Jim.

Date: January 06, 2009 12:41AM

ugarte
Jim Hyla
Your objection assumes that a lack of a formal poll implies a lack of opinions.

I don't know where you get from my thought that not doing polls till after the season has been in play implies a lack of opinions. Huh? I'm trying to argue that having meaningless polls even before the season starts makes it easier for the well known teams to stay at the top, and therefore harder for upcoming teams to crack through.

You wouldn't have to ban polling, you'd have to ban all informal comparisons of teams to each other or any newspaper from making a top 20 list. If the polls weren't taken and all of the newspapers had a single columnist that ranked the teams, someone would aggregate the polls and that would become the defacto ranking until the official polls were released.

I don't care what informal polls someone wants to start whenever, just that "official polls" would be more acurate of the current situation if they waited until after the season was in force.

The BCS tries to hide the rankings until midseason but it isn't hard to find an unofficial BCS ranking after the first week of competition.

But the reason, I believe, that the BCS is not released sooner is that the computer rankings would be meaningless. Afterall it's hard for computers to come up with rankings if there is no data, meaning no games played. That's precisely why I think the human polls are also meaningless early on, but worse yet harmful to up and coming teams.

Polls are collections of opinions. They are as good as the data that goes in, which is why the first week's polls usually look silly at the end of the year. But so what?

I think this is a repeat of before and I already answered it.

The early polls are strictly for bullshitting at the bar - if you didn't have the polls, what would you argue with?

You name it I can argue with it.

And how would the networks advertise an early-season game between two 'highly ranked' teams if, well, nobody was ranked?

Why should I care?

You are arguing against the tides, Jim.

So what, that's never stopped me before. After all, isn't that your point, we have polls so we can argue?twakthud

Posted by: dragonfan (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2009 12:45AM

I was just trying to point out that the game at lynah will mean alot in the league and the national outlook considering we are so close in the polls #5/6-7/8 I am certain they realize that.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.techtarget.com)
Date: January 06, 2009 09:49AM

Jim Hyla

The early polls are strictly for bullshitting at the bar - if you didn't have the polls, what would you argue with?

No you can't.

Date: January 06, 2009 01:06PM

ftyuv
Jim Hyla

No you can't.

Yes I can!

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: January 06, 2009 05:00PM

You're not arguing, you're mereley contradicting.:-}

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 06, 2009 05:40PM

Roy 82
You're not arguing, you're mereley contradicting.:-}
No you're not.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 12:23PM

You snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings! Your kind makes me puke! You vacuous, toffee-nosed, malodorous pervert!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 02:49PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
You snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings! Your kind makes me puke! You vacuous, toffee-nosed, malodorous pervert!
Look, I came here to have an argument...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 07, 2009 06:15PM

Josh '99
Jeff Hopkins '82
Look, I came here to have an argument...
Oh. Sorry, this is Abuse.

Scrivens piece on USCHO
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 06:45PM

Gentle Ben gets some props for Cornell's success so far: [www.uscho.com]

[Aside: Got a fundraising call from Scrivens last night. Nice kid. Really wanted UMass's second goal back.]

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 11:39PM

In addition to all this, #4 at INCH and #1 in PWR

Chris '03
Cornell up to 8 with 1 first place vote in the USCHO:
1	Notre Dame	(47)	16-3-2	994	1
2	Boston University( 2)	13-4-1	940	3
3	Minnesota		10-3-5	886	4
4	Northeastern		12-4-2	782	6
5	Denver		        13-6-2	720	5
6	Miami		        12-5-3	697	2
7	Princeton		13-3-0	690	8
8	Cornell	( 1)	        9-1-3	673	10
9	Boston College		9-5-2	660	7
10	Colorado College	11-6-5	534	9
10	Michigan		13-7-0	534	12
12	Vermont		        11-4-2	513	13
13	New Hampshire		9-6-3	298	15
14	Air Force		15-4-1	288	11
15	Dartmouth		9-5-0	198	20
16	Ohio State		13-6-1	197	NR
17	Wisconsin		10-9-3	153	14
18	Nebraska-Omaha		12-6-3	130	16
19	Alaska		        10-6-4	123	18
20	Minnesota-Duluth	9-5-6	118	NR
Others Receiving Votes: Quinnipiac 111, North Dakota 88, Minnesota State 86, Yale 33, Maine 30, Massachusetts 8, St. Cloud State 7, Michigan State 6, Niagara 3

#6 with 1 first place in USA Today:
1	Notre Dame	        504	(32)	1	16-3-2
2	Boston University	472	(1)	3	13-4-1
3	University of Minnesota	435		4	10-3-5
4	Northeastern University	360		6	12-4-2
5	Princeton University	332		8	13-3-0
6	Cornell University	316	(1)	9	9-1-3
7	University of Denver	309		5	13-6-2
8	Miami (Ohio) University	277		2	12-5-3
9	Boston College	        261		7	9-5-2
10	University of Vermont	218		13	11-4-2
11	University of Michigan	200		11	13-7-0
12	Colorado College	164		10	11-6-5
13	UNH	                74		14	9-6-3
14	U.S. Air Force Academy	50		12	15-4-1
15	Ohio State University	38		NR	13-6-1
Others receiving votes: Quinnipiac University 18, Dartmouth College 14, University of Maine 8, University of Nebraska Omaha 8, University of Wisconsin 8, Yale University 6, University of North Dakota 4, University of Alaska 2, Michigan State University 2. 

Re: Scrivens piece on USCHO
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: January 08, 2009 11:56AM

Al DeFlorio
[Aside: Got a fundraising call from Scrivens last night. Nice kid. Really wanted UMass's second goal back.]

Me too! :) (the fundraising call part, not the wanting the second goal back part)

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: January 08, 2009 12:39PM

DeltaOne81
Al DeFlorio

Me too! :) (the fundraising call part, not the wanting the second goal back part)
He admitted to you that he let it slip by on purpose?

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: January 08, 2009 12:42PM

ugarte
DeltaOne81
Al DeFlorio

He admitted to you that he let it slip by on purpose?

Well sure, otherwise he'd get bored out there. Gotta keep it interesting!

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login