Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Who muzzled the band at Starr?

Posted by redice 
Who muzzled the band at Starr?
Posted by: redice (---.154.222.27.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: November 14, 2008 05:09PM

The Cornell pep band did not play as often as expected last night.

Who put the muzzle on them and when were they allowed to play?

Tnx

Re: Who muzzled the band at Starr?
Posted by: redice (---.154.221.18.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: November 15, 2008 03:12PM

Bump....

It's hard to believe that nobody knows anything about this....

Don't be bashful...

Posted by: Cornell11 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: November 15, 2008 03:13PM

Mitch should call the pep band's drum major's mom.

Posted by: amerks127 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 15, 2008 03:17PM

I think I'll take the high road on this one...

To answer your question, the pep band shared time with Colgate's band and music over the sound system. Further, they were not allowed to play Davy when the team took the ice each period.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 15, 2008 03:59PM

And I'll take the low road. If the band actually let someone stop them from playing Davy, they're a bunch of useless simps not worthy to wear the striped shirts, and they besmirch the honor of every once-Waldo-taunted one of us.

The alumni et al. don't donate money for you to go to places and not play. Especially Davy. Honestly. Find your cojones, in the best Hemingwayian sense, and stand up for yourselves.

I think Patrick Swayze would say, "Nobody puts Bâby in a corner."

Posted by: Lauren '06 (206.12.54.---)
Date: November 15, 2008 04:06PM

The way we handled this in previous years (I remember this happening at Dartmouth in 2004 specifically) was to have the conductor start Davy as usual while the pep band manager theatrically scolded them and waved his arms for them to stop.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2008 04:12PM

Scersk '97
I think Patrick Swayze would say, "Nobody puts Bâby in a corner."
In this context, I might've gone with "Nobody puts Davy in a corner."

Too bad someone didn't muzzle the Colgate band at Lynah
Posted by: CUontheslopes (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2008 10:59AM

The cheers of Freeeeeeeeeeeee Willy and Shave Your Armpits raining down from the student sections brought back memories of the infamous "Fat Conductor" cheer against Colgate several years back.

Also, nice going crowd on the "You suck, Cox" cheer. Well done.

Posted by: ShardZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2008 12:42PM

This coming from the pep band manager who cried at Brown in the fall of '05 when she was scolded by an event staff and threatened to be kicked out.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2008 12:47PM

ShardZ
This coming from the pep band manager who cried at Brown in the fall of '05 when she was scolded by an event staff and threatened to be kicked out.

Funny, in another thread you just took some other people to task for being less than kind. How about trying to live up to your own standards for other people?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: November 16, 2008 12:56PM

ShardZ
What the hell was that for? You didn't have a low-blow comeback for Scersk, so you went for me instead? I don't happen to agree completely with Scersk on this... the alumni don't donate money for us to get thrown out before the first period either. If the band has a choice between sticking to our guns and getting thrown out or giving a little and getting to stay (emphasis on a little--we're a band, not window dressing, though in my time nobody pushed the window dressing thing more than our own athletics department), you know what I would pick. All I did was tell you how, at one time in the past, it was possible to do both through a little dissembling. You know, best of both worlds? Keeping everybody happy? If that pisses you off so much you have to punch me in the gut in public, Zach, I don't know what to tell you.

Posted by: KGR11 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 16, 2008 01:09PM

The first priority of the Pep Band is to remain in the stands for the entirety of the game so that we can cheer the team on and provide entertainment for the crowd. For us to do so, we follow the rules of the Athletics Department of the home team. If we do not, they throw us out. For us to jeopardize our participation in the game before the puck is dropped is not smart.

Personally, I believe the alumni et al. donate money to us to go to places and play throughout the entire game. That donation would be a foolish investment if we are thrown out before the game gets under way.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2008 01:12PM by KGR11.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2008 01:20PM

Section A Banshee
ShardZ
What the hell was that for? You didn't have a low-blow comeback for Scersk, so you went for me instead? I don't happen to agree completely with Scersk on this... the alumni don't donate money for us to get thrown out before the first period either. If the band has a choice between sticking to our guns and getting thrown out or giving a little and getting to stay (emphasis on a little--we're a band, not window dressing, though in my time nobody pushed the window dressing thing more than our own athletics department), you know what I would pick. All I did was tell you how, at one time in the past, it was possible to do both through a little dissembling. You know, best of both worlds? Keeping everybody happy? If that pisses you off so much you have to punch me in the gut in public, Zach, I don't know what to tell you.
KGR11
The first priority of the Pep Band is to remain in the stands for the entirety of the game so that we can cheer the team on and provide entertainment for the crowd. For us to do so, we follow the rules of the Athletics Department of the home team. If we do not, they throw us out. For us to jeopardize our participation in the game before the puck is dropped is not smart.

Personally, I believe the alumni et al. donate money to us to go to places and play throughout the entire game. That donation would be a foolish investment if we are thrown out before the game gets under way.

As an alum ,although not a band alum, who supports the Pep Band, I couldn't agree more.

Posted by: thorn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2008 01:38PM

We sang it whenever we weren't allowed to play it. Colgate had extra security for us, because three years ago the fans broke a piccolo and stole a hat. The piccolo is still in the band room, and gets brought out every time a Colgate trip is coming up. I'd rather not piss off rink staff who go out of their way to make sure that our instruments don't get destroyed by fans, and if it requires toning it down a bit, I can live with that. I'm not in charge, it wasn't my decision, but I don't think it was a bad decision. I appreciate leaving with my instrument intact.

Posted by: ShardZ (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2008 01:42PM

I'm really sorry. My comment came across as way more mean than I expected. That was really not my goal and I apologize.

The point I was trying to make was, as KRG and others have said, there was no point in the pep band getting potentially kicked out over something silly like how frequently we could play davy. My comment was that I had hoped that former pep band managers would be more ... sensitive to the fact that event staff at away rinks are not always the most rational or fair towards the pep band.

It is easy for someone unconnected to criticize the band for not standing up to the colgate rink staff, playing anyway and risk repercussions from their or our athletics departments. I just feel that people who have felt these repercussions personally should not be the ones leading the criticism.

Again, I'd like to apologize. I really was not trying to be mean.

Date: November 16, 2008 01:53PM

ShardZ
The point I was trying to make was, as KRG and others have said, there was no point in the pep band getting potentially kicked out over something silly like how frequently we could play davy. My comment was that I had hoped that former pep band managers would be more ... sensitive to the fact that event staff at away rinks are not always the most rational or fair towards the pep band.

It is easy for someone unconnected to criticize the band for not standing up to the colgate rink staff, playing anyway and risk repercussions from their or our athletics departments. I just feel that people who have felt these repercussions personally should not be the ones leading the criticism.
Excuse me? Far from leading the criticism, I wasn't even being critical. I was understanding your position and offering a possible solution, one which has worked in the past. The pep band's job (as I've always seen it) is to get away with as much as it can in a hostile environment, and one of the ways we've done that is to test the waters in such a way that the manager has an excuse if it doesn't go well. It's not a criticism, it's a different approach. So for you--someone I barely know, and don't recall having any face-to-face conversations with--to hit me with that out of nowhere was not only uncalled for but nonsensical.

And if you want to get into that incident at Brown, here it is: I did exactly what that rink staffer asked for. To the letter. And the band followed my directions, for which I was thankful. The rink staffer proceeded to step on my throat anyway because of how fans unrelated to the pep band behaved. So if anything, what I should have taken from that was to give every rink staff the finger--if we're going to get in trouble anyway, we may as well do whatever the hell we want.

Posted by: JDeafv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2008 02:01PM

Nobody kicked the Colgate band out for playing over our Tubas in Lynah last night. This is not the first time they have done this. Perhaps we should tell the Colgate band they are not welcome in Lynah next year.

Date: November 16, 2008 02:05PM

JDeafv
Nobody kicked the Colgate band out for playing over our Tubas in Lynah last night. This is not the first time they have done this. Perhaps we should tell the Colgate band they are not welcome in Lynah next year.
Haha--I don't think we want to get into tit-for-tat on home rink treatment. Lynah rink staff had (at least in my time) a reputation as one of the worst for opposing bands.

Posted by: polar (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2008 02:12PM

If my memory is right, we didn't let them come last year at all. Because of the snow storm they only brought something like four instruments, and because thamusic track, Cornell band. Our playing time was t didn't constitute a full band, the staff didn't let them bring the instruments. I wasn't there, but if anything I'm happy they were actually able to bring their full band this year. So few other schools do.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 16, 2008 02:15PM

Section A Banshee
ShardZ

Excuse me? Far from leading the criticism, I wasn't even being critical.

Can I try to recap this and calm everything down? I think some things are being misinterpreted.

In his last post ShardZ was trying to say that he brought up the Brown incident because you have personal experience with irrational treatment by rink staff, so you know that the band can't always play on - and was acknowledging that it sounded like a harsh dig and apologizing - but I think in his first post he was surprised that in light of your experience, you'd refer to the pantomime at Dartmouth as a model for the pep band's behavior.

I know nothing about either incident beyond what I've read in this thread, but that is my attempt at a summary. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Date: November 16, 2008 02:27PM

Great, you sang. That's WILD!

There are some things that are negotiable, and others that aren't. It's the FIGHT SONG, dammit! Are you the Cornell Pep Band or the Cornell Glee Club? What's next?

* "Our sound guy does the game from a mix CD. There's no time for you to play. Sorry."
* "You can't play your instruments." (SLU used to do that to Clarkson.)
* "No more cheering for your team; it makes our team feel bad."

I mean, in the grand tradition of G.O.B. from Arrested Development: "Come on!" Do you really think they're going to throw you out for playing the fight song? Really? Haven't you guys learned how to, as Lauren mentions, "give [the] rink staff the finger," whether directly or indirectly?

Two bands playing their fight songs over each other is part of the tradition of college hockey (or basketball, or football, or whatever). It's part of showing your school spirit; it's part of showing that you're there to support the team. It's been done, literally, for generations.

(By the way, did one of you really write "someone unconnected?" Do you know who you're talking to?)

Pardon me for sounding a little "kids these days," but this sounds like a typically mousy response from a risk-averse generation, and, pardon me Jim, bland reinforcement from their (now) risk-averse parents (or grandparents?). Some of the best times I had in the pep band were the times where we almost got thrown out, where we did our job in the most hostile of environments. You do your job, support the team, don't compromise your principles, and get out. Honestly, this never would have been allowed to happen when I was in school, and the pep band rank-and-file of those days would've impeached your asses for being so weak.

But go ahead. Do what you want. Blindly follow authority. Lead your safe little lives. Glad to see you're learning something at Cornell.

Date: November 16, 2008 03:02PM

Scersk '97
Great, you sang. That's WILD!

There are some things that are negotiable, and others that aren't. It's the FIGHT SONG, dammit! Are you the Cornell Pep Band or the Cornell Glee Club? What's next?

* "Our sound guy does the game from a mix CD. There's no time for you to play. Sorry."
* "You can't play your instruments." (SLU used to do that to Clarkson.)
* "No more cheering for your team; it makes our team feel bad."

I mean, in the grand tradition of G.O.B. from Arrested Development: "Come on!" Do you really think they're going to throw you out for playing the fight song? Really? Haven't you guys learned how to, as Lauren mentions, "give [the] rink staff the finger," whether directly or indirectly?

Two bands playing their fight songs over each other is part of the tradition of college hockey (or basketball, or football, or whatever). It's part of showing your school spirit; it's part of showing that you're there to support the team. It's been done, literally, for generations.

(By the way, did one of you really write "someone unconnected?" Do you know who you're talking to?)

Pardon me for sounding a little "kids these days," but this sounds like a typically mousy response from a risk-averse generation, and, pardon me Jim, bland reinforcement from their (now) risk-averse parents (or grandparents?). Some of the best times I had in the pep band were the times where we almost got thrown out, where we did our job in the most hostile of environments. You do your job, support the team, don't compromise your principles, and get out. Honestly, this never would have been allowed to happen when I was in school, and the pep band rank-and-file of those days would've impeached your asses for being so weak.

But go ahead. Do what you want. Blindly follow authority. Lead your safe little lives. Glad to see you're learning something at Cornell.

Well, there was a book from many years ago, yes from your grandparents generation, called "How to win friends and influence people". Maybe you've heard of it? Well this is not the way to do it. Why do we always have to beat up on each other? Would we really treat us the same in person? Wouldn't it be more useful to try and find out what the problems were and offer constructive criticism in a non-threatening way? Any time you just tell the other what a jerk they are/were for acting that way, you only make the other defensive and markedly decrease the possibility of them listening to you.

And, by the way, I'm not that risk adverse. After-all I do post here and always try and get my candy into the opposing rink.scared

Date: November 16, 2008 03:40PM

At the risk of sounding histrionic, perhaps I should counter-cite "Civil Disobedience" to your blandly corporatist tract?

I would suggest that winning friends and influencing people don't always go together, Jim. I'm not looking to win friends. I'm looking to reignite a muscular school spirit that seems to be waning in "kids these days."

Sometimes that involves something your tract suggests should be avoided: criticism. Sometimes it involves suggesting courses of action that, for whatever reason, have been discredited or forgotten. Sometimes it involves a swift verbal uppercut instead of a gentle pat on the back.

Not to play our fight song because some rink functionary told me not to is a course of action antithetical to my very being. It is a matter of pride; it is a matter of tradition. It seems we come from very different generations indeed.

Date: November 16, 2008 05:38PM

Scersk '97
At the risk of sounding histrionic, perhaps I should counter-cite "Civil Disobedience" to your blandly corporatist tract?

I would suggest that winning friends and influencing people don't always go together, Jim. I'm not looking to win friends. I'm looking to reignite a muscular school spirit that seems to be waning in "kids these days."[/q]

I don't care if you win friends either; but influencing people might be useful if you want change. Civil disobedience does have to be confrontational, but it doesn't have to be angry. I'd suggest that when you are talking among friends, a constructive approach is often more useful.

[q]Sometimes that involves something your tract suggests should be avoided: criticism. Sometimes it involves suggesting courses of action that, for whatever reason, have been discredited or forgotten. Sometimes it involves a swift verbal uppercut instead of a gentle pat on the back.[/q]

Reread my post. I never said not to criticize, but rather that constructive criticism often gets you further.

[q]It seems we come from very different generations indeed.

Indeed that is true. I can't change time, but I'm very happy that most of your generation took the quiet change approach in the recent election, rather than the aggressive confrontational approach of the current man of my generation. (Please, I didn't mean to start a political thread drift, rather to show that all types exist in all generations.):-)

Date: November 16, 2008 06:55PM

Jim Hyla
I don't care if you win friends either; but influencing people might be useful if you want change. Civil disobedience does have to be confrontational, but it doesn't have to be angry. I'd suggest that when you are talking among friends, a constructive approach is often more useful.

Point well taken. I have been known to employ that strategy (or is it a tactic?). It just bugs me when "kids these days" don't seem to get angry about anything. I worry about an anesthetized nation of groupthink, which...

Jim Hyla
Indeed that is true. I can't change time, but I'm very happy that most of your generation took the quiet change approach in the recent election, rather than the aggressive confrontational approach of the current man of my generation.

... is what got us into that mess in the first place. I also wonder how quiet and non-confrontational the remaining Republican moderates (or, gasp, liberals?) of the northeast found "my generation" this year? And, regardless of how I felt about the most recent election, I'll continue to worry about the groupthink of the left as much as I worry about the groupthink of the right.

(And you would think that would send me to New Hampshire, right? I worry about the groupthink of the libertarians too!)

Politics aside, I just want the kids to stand up for themselves, not because they should "fight the Man" but because someone muzzled them. That's just not right. I'm not advocating that they should chant a string of obscenities or stand in front of old folks or eat babies or beat up those annoying little Colgate kids that used to throw tennis balls at us. I'm saying that they should play the fight song at the appropriate time, as is our tradition. Is there really something wrong with me for suggesting so? Shouldn't they, pardon me, "Fight for Cornell?" It disturbs me that they're so afraid of authority that they'll compromise what seems to me to be something kind of important. "Who muzzled the band at Starr?" It would seem that they did themselves.

Perhaps I'm just old and out of touch.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2008 07:06PM by Scersk '97.

Date: November 16, 2008 08:04PM

Scersk '97
Jim Hyla

Point well taken. I have been known to employ that strategy (or is it a tactic?). It just bugs me when "kids these days" don't seem to get angry about anything. I worry about an anesthetized nation of groupthink, which...

Jim Hyla
Indeed that is true. I can't change time, but I'm very happy that most of your generation took the quiet change approach in the recent election, rather than the aggressive confrontational approach of the current man of my generation.

... is what got us into that mess in the first place. I also wonder how quiet and non-confrontational the remaining Republican moderates (or, gasp, liberals?) of the northeast found "my generation" this year? And, regardless of how I felt about the most recent election, I'll continue to worry about the groupthink of the left as much as I worry about the groupthink of the right.

(And you would think that would send me to New Hampshire, right? I worry about the groupthink of the libertarians too!)

Politics aside, I just want the kids to stand up for themselves, not because they should "fight the Man" but because someone muzzled them. That's just not right. I'm not advocating that they should chant a string of obscenities or stand in front of old folks or eat babies or beat up those annoying little Colgate kids that used to throw tennis balls at us. I'm saying that they should play the fight song at the appropriate time, as is our tradition. Is there really something wrong with me for suggesting so? Shouldn't they, pardon me, "Fight for Cornell?" It disturbs me that they're so afraid of authority that they'll compromise what seems to me to be something kind of important. "Who muzzled the band at Starr?" It would seem that they did themselves.

Perhaps I'm just old and out of touch.

Thanks for a nice way to finish this. Basically I agree with your wanting for everyone to stand up for what is right; but no, you're not old and out of touch. Keep fighting for what you believe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login