Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ESPNU and Comcast

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
ESPNU and Comcast
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2008 05:30PM

Buried in this press release and conference call transcript announcing an ESPN agreement with the SEC [www.secsports.com] is the following discussion of negotiations between ESPN and Comcast to make ESPNU available via Comcast cable. We shall see if this is BS or what. [And, yes, that is former Cornell AD Mike Slive, now commissioner of the SEC.]

Q. We're seeing some reports that ESPN U is probably going to be more widely distributed than it is now, perhaps with a new deal with Comcast. Can you speak to that at all at this point?

BURKE MAGNUS: What I can tell you is that we're obviously in active conversations with Comcast. We have been for some time on ESPN U. I can't speak for them, but I believe they recognize the value in ESPN U, which is why conversations are happening. This will accelerate that process, we hope.

We have great things planned for ESPN U, as far as distribution in the SEC territory currently, through our agreements with Direct TV and Dish Network and Time Warner and Cox and Charter and several other smaller operators that serve as the SEC territory, we're off to a good start. We need to also get an agreement in place with Comcast. We're going to work hard to do that, and this is the first step in that direction.

Q. Commissioner, I want to make sure I heard you right. Under this agreement I can say that if you're a fan, every SEC home game will be somewhere in some format either on CBS or ESPN, one of the formats?

COMMISSIONER SLIVE: Yes, one of the various platforms, and that is a significant change. One of on our goals was to increase the exposure nationally about football that this allows us to do that.

Q. Tony asked if all the home games would be on some platform. For pay per view games is that still possible for schools if you're playing a non conference game?

COMMISSIONER SLIVE: Yeah, each school has an opportunity to do one pay per view game per year.

Q. Is that different than in the past?

COMMISSIONER SLIVE: Yes.

Q. Is it unlimited now or is there a certain number at this point?

COMMISSIONER SLIVE: I think in the past, if my memory serves me, games that weren't televised our institution could put on pay per view. But now the essence is that all of our games are televised, but each institution has an opportunity to do a pay per view game.

Q. Also, Burke or John, could you just tell us how widely distributed ESPN U is within the Southeast and perhaps nationally at this point and what your hopes are for?

BURKE MAGNUS: Nationally, we are at 22 million homes currently. We have agreements with 7 out of the top 10 distributors. Obviously, the one that we're working actively on would be critically important is Comcast as the number one distributor nationwide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login