Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Screw BU chant confusion

Posted by octopusguy 
Screw BU chant confusion
Posted by: octopusguy (---.nj.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 03:49PM

Does anyone have any idea of how we should adapt the "Screw BU" chant at the game tomorrow night? "Screw BU and BU too" certainly shows twice the aggression against the Terriers but doesn't make sense. Any suggestions?

Re: Screw BU chant confusion
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 03:54PM

octopusguy
Does anyone have any idea of how we should adapt the "Screw BU" chant at the game tomorrow night? "Screw BU and BU too" certainly shows twice the aggression against the Terriers but doesn't make sense. Any suggestions?

Do a search, this has been discussed many times before. It's SCREW BU (period).

Posted by: jkahn (---.area4.spcsdns.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 04:31PM

Their band will play it, thinking their "Go BU" cheer will get their fans going, and we steal the finish with a loud "Screw BU." That's how "Screw BU" started and how I hope it is tomorrow night.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: November 23, 2007 04:46PM

octopusguy

It took us long enough for this thread to get started. I would've bet it had popped up a week ago.

To be fair, we haven't played these guys in 5 years (has it really been that long??) The generally agreed upon answer is that it is not "Screw BU, BU too," but just "Screw BU."

In the past, the CU Pep Band has had to alter their timing and eliminate the extra 2 beats usually (automatically) inserted for the "opponent too" portion of the crowd response, but since no bandies were around in 2002, I only hope they have discussed this and come to the correct conclusion.

Screw BU threads of the past:
[elf.elynah.com]
[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 05:53PM

The discussion always amuses me because the chant must have started as "Screw BU" when we were playing BU and then got stretched out when we were playing someone else. So now that we rarely play BU anymore, the cheer has to be retrofitted back to its original length.

Posted by: ech32 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 07:02PM

RichH
In the past, the CU Pep Band has had to alter their timing and eliminate the extra 2 beats usually (automatically) inserted for the "opponent too" portion of the crowd response, but since no bandies were around in 2002, I only hope they have discussed this and come to the correct conclusion.

Our conductors did their research, and we rehearsed it the original way on Monday.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 07:27PM

jkahn
Their band will play it, thinking their "Go BU" cheer will get their fans going, and we steal the finish with a loud "Screw BU." That's how "Screw BU" started and how I hope it is tomorrow night.
Right.

Geez, that BU cheer was annoying. Seemed like they did it every three minutes.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: November 23, 2007 07:29PM

Al DeFlorio
jkahn
Right.

Unlike Michigan...OH WAIT.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: November 23, 2007 08:34PM

ugarte
The discussion always amuses me because the chant must have started as "Screw BU" when we were playing BU and then got stretched out when we were playing someone else. So now that we rarely play BU anymore, the cheer has to be retrofitted back to its original length.

The "xxx too!" part was added at the 1980 ECAC tournament. Until then, it was just "Screw BU!" as you suggest.

Posted by: redice (---.154.223.216.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 09:11PM

Al DeFlorio
jkahn
Right.

It was probably annoying to BU people when our "Screw BU" was as loud as their "Go BU". :-}

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 10:58PM

redice

It was probably annoying to BU people when our "Screw BU" was as loud as their "Go BU". :-}

I remember BU fans being really peeved when we just chanted "screw BU...screw BU..." at WBA in '02. Something about how they weren't allowed to use that word. They really are the bizarro Cornell.

Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2007 11:51PM

I've been told that "Sucks to BU" is a BC chant. I have no problem appropriating it tomorrow.

Posted by: jdonofrio (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 12:08AM

Why not say "Screw BU, Harvard too."

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2007 02:01AM

jdonofrio

1) Because the band has specially rehearsed a version of the "cheer" that leaves only enough room for "Screw BU," and trying to chant over the band won't work.
2) Because it has never been done before and there's no good reason to do it now.
3) Because as a result of #2 and you proposing it here, of the 5-10,000 Cornell people there, only a few hundred of them would know what you want to do, and most of them wouldn't go along with it because they know better.
4) Because it's just not what we chant when we play BU. We chant "Screw BU."

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:20AM

Beeeej
jdonofrio

1) Because the band has specially rehearsed a version of the "cheer" that leaves only enough room for "Screw BU," and trying to chant over the band won't work.
2) Because it has never been done before and there's no good reason to do it now.
3) Because as a result of #2 and you proposing it here, of the 5-10,000 Cornell people there, only a few hundred of them would know what you want to do, and most of them wouldn't go along with it because they know better.
4) Because it's just not what we chant when we play BU. We chant "Screw BU."

Right! Many of us have waited 35 years for the chance to get in a good "Screw BU!" in a large arena. Not gonna blow it now.

Posted by: BigRedIslander '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 09:58AM

Just FYI...the BU band in 4 years now of me going to games there as a grad student hasn't played that "Go BU" cheer. Perhaps they gave up on it b/c of the "Screw BU?"

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2007 11:06AM

BigRedIslander '03
Just FYI...the BU band in 4 years now of me going to games there as a grad student hasn't played that "Go BU" cheer. Perhaps they gave up on it b/c of the "Screw BU?"

I doubt it, but even if they don't play it, our band will. Frequently, I'd imagine.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 11:14AM

If the Cornellians down on the ice have rehearsed special situations as well as we have here, Cornell should prevail.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 11:28AM

BigRedIslander '03
In one way this is too bad.

To really do the cheer properly (and historically correctly), the little ditty should be played by the BU band, not the Cornell band, as a BU cheer, and then the Cornell crowd should drown out the BU crowd's "Go BU" with "Screw BU." But, I suppose, if the BU band no longer does the little ditty, someone else will have to...

Posted by: BigRedIslander '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 11:40AM

yeah just about everything the BU band does not has to do with saying BC sucks or drinking, or some stupid dance. I'm very happy to see be able to see greta college hockey every week but their cheers leave something to be desired

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 25, 2007 09:05AM

BigRedIslander '03

I have some vague memory of a story (told before previous Cornell-BU games) that the "Go BU" cheer had morphed into some sort of vulgar thing about BC, and the BU administration had forbidden them to play it.

I'm happy having our cheers led by our own band, myself.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

"SCREW BU, YES THAT'S YOU"
Posted by: Oat (---.c3-0.avec-ubr11.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 25, 2007 01:48PM

someone else came up with that during the game last night and I liked it.

But I think our short "Screw BU" is good. It allows us to just really focus hard on screwing BU.

Posted by: Rob NH (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2007 01:16PM

jtwcornell91
I have some vague memory of a story (told before previous Cornell-BU games) that the "Go BU" cheer had morphed into some sort of vulgar thing about BC, and the BU administration had forbidden them to play it.
It went from
"Go BU!"
to
"Go BU! Beat BC!"
to
"Go BU! Fuck BC!"
and then
"Go BU! Fuck BC, they suck dick!"
before they finally killed the tune off.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2007 01:17PM by Rob NH.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login