Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

eLFers at the Frozen Four

Posted by Beeeej 
eLFers at the Frozen Four
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2008 12:40PM

Rita
The ELFers who said that they were coming to Denver are here. Beeeej might have some photos to post later.

I might indeed.

Photo #1, between semifinals: Keith's Friend, Susie, Keith, Jeff K., Jeff A., Jennifer, Rita, Jennifer's Dad. Susie's Dad took the photo.

Photo #2, at My Brother's Bar after the semifinals: Rita, Josh, Rich, Jeff A., Judy, Jeff K.'s wife (my memory's not working too well this morning), Jeff K.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2008 01:04PM by Beeeej.

Re: eLFers at the Frozen Four
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: April 11, 2008 01:42PM

I do recall seeing someone wearing a Cornell jersey during the Notre Dame-Michigan game last night. They were sitting directly behind one of the penalty boxes and appeared at least in the middle of the second period.

Date: April 11, 2008 01:43PM

[elf.elynah.com]

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: April 11, 2008 01:44PM

Beeeej
http://elf.elynah.com/read.php?1,130695,130718#msg-130718

Funny you just mention that...as I was just reading it.

Date: April 13, 2008 01:45AM

During today's first intermission, Rita and I were scheming post-game plans when a random Cornellian walked up. Bernie is an eLF reader (hi, Bernie!) and a Denver resident, and happened to be watching the game from a suite on the second level. The suite was, needless to say, sweet.

Photo taken by Jason, a random dude who interrupted the three of us to add Cornell to his 2008 Frozen Four attendee jersey photos collection:

- Steve Worona

Date: April 13, 2008 12:31PM

The gang at the Appaloosa Grill after the finals last night:

- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2008 03:28PM

Of the colleges that didn't make it to the Frozen Four, which college had the most jerseys in attendance? I could see Wisconsin having a bunch of fans mad about hockey, not just Wisconsin hockey.

Date: April 13, 2008 03:35PM

Wisconsin had the most by far of any non-participant.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 13, 2008 05:09PM

billhoward
Of the colleges that didn't make it to the Frozen Four, which college had the most jerseys in attendance? I could see Wisconsin having a bunch of fans mad about hockey, not just Wisconsin hockey.
Denver?

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: April 13, 2008 08:52PM

Beeeej
Wisconsin had the most by far of any non-participant.
Definitely Wisconsin.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 01:05AM

Wow, Keith WAS actually there.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: April 14, 2008 03:24PM

billhoward

From the East, I give a nod to Maine. From my travels on Wednesday, I would've thought that Maine was actually a participant.

ECAC representation I spotted: A fair number of various Clarkson jerseys, RPI, SLU, Princeton. I saw a Union and a Colgate hat, and there was a guy in a Yale sweatshirt at the Saturday skate at the Pepsi Center.

I swear we're going to make game cards for D-1 hockey bingo next year.

We also ran into Cornell people all weekend who don't read/lurk here regularly. On my way to the Final, I passed by a guy in a Cornell shirt who shouted "Hey! I thought I was the only one here!"

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 14, 2008 03:54PM

RichH
From the East, I give a nod to Maine. From my travels on Wednesday, I would've thought that Maine was actually a participant.
I would've given the eastern nod to BU. I just didn't see that many Maine jerseys. Guess it depends where you sit or where you go outside the arena.

RichH
ECAC representation I spotted: A fair number of various Clarkson jerseys, RPI, SLU, Princeton. I saw a Union and a Colgate hat, and there was a guy in a Yale sweatshirt at the Saturday skate at the Pepsi Center.
One of the ELF-ers claimed to have seen a Harvard jersey. I find this too far-fetched to believe.

RichH
I swear we're going to make game cards for D-1 hockey bingo next year.
Sweet! I think you just volunteered....

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 04:23PM

RichH
We also ran into Cornell people all weekend who don't read/lurk here regularly. On my way to the Final, I passed by a guy in a Cornell shirt who shouted "Hey! I thought I was the only one here!"

Is the ELF's advertising solely through word of mouth? Come to think of it, I don't even know how I found out about this website.

Date: April 14, 2008 04:31PM

KeithK
One of the ELF-ers claimed to have seen a Harvard jersey. I find this too far-fetched to believe.

I didn't see a Hahvahd jersey, but a guy wearing a Hahvahd hat stopped me and jokingly challenged me to a fight.

I thought I would get some sort of prize for seeing a UIC jersey, but RichH claimed to have seen four of them.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 05:14PM

RichH
I took a picture of St. Lawrence Jersey Tucked Into Jeans Guy. Not as funny as Shirtless Painted Chest Hockey Helmet Harvard Guy but still pretty good.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 14, 2008 05:29PM

metaezra
Is the ELF's advertising solely through word of mouth? Come to think of it, I don't even know how I found out about this website.
Yes. I briefly entertained the possibility of a dasher board ad until I found out what they cost. I've also thought about an ad in the Sun, but it's not like this generates any sort of revenue. Quite the opposite, and I don't especially feel the need to incur more costs. Unless you guys are ok with ads or subscriptions, then I'd be happy to advertise. I'd wager not. ;)

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: April 14, 2008 05:30PM

CowbellGuy
metaezra
Yes. I briefly entertained the possibility of a dasher board ad until I found out what they cost. I've also thought about an ad in the Sun, but it's not like this generates any sort of revenue. Quite the opposite, and I don't especially feel the need to incur more costs. Unless you guys are ok with ads or subscriptions, then I'd be happy to advertise. I'd wager not. ;)

As long as they are ads that get blocked out by ad-blocker on firefox I don't care. :)

Date: April 14, 2008 05:53PM

KeithK
I would've given the eastern nod to BU. I just didn't see that many Maine jerseys. Guess it depends where you sit or where you go outside the arena.
Maybe not jerseys, but I saw a (figurative) pile of Maine jackets and sweatshirts.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2008 05:54PM by Josh '99.

Date: April 14, 2008 06:26PM

CowbellGuy
metaezra
How much does it cost to get Arthur to promote you during a stoppage in play? Then again, what are the odds that the AD would allow an ad of any kind for eLynah? Probably proportional to the chance that they know who runs it...

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 06:27PM

CowbellGuy

For all the time, effort, and money you put into this, Age, I, on the record, would be perfectly fine with some reasonable advertising to help cover your costs, or even turn a profit. Not sure I'm in the majority on that one though.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.moore.clarkson.edu)
Date: April 14, 2008 06:44PM

DeltaOne81
CowbellGuy

For all the time, effort, and money you put into this, Age, I, on the record, would be perfectly fine with some reasonable advertising to help cover your costs, or even turn a profit. Not sure I'm in the majority on that one though.

I would not be opposed to a small amount of advertising, provided that it is not obnoxious or overly annoying (all ads are annoying).

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 07:00PM

Google AdSense is fairly non-offensive. Although I shudder to think what type of ads we may be subject to with the mention of syphilis in the Spelling Guide.

Date: April 14, 2008 07:02PM

DeltaOne81
CowbellGuy

I'd rather contribute occasionally to help defray the costs. (Have you hit the tipjar lately?)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 07:29PM

KeithK
DeltaOne81
I'd rather contribute occasionally to help defray the costs. (Have you hit the tipjar lately?)

If that defrayed most of Age's cost, I would prefer that too. But I know that even after those who contribute (and yes, I do), Age still swallows substantial costs to run eLynah, so I would not begrudge him some reasonable ads to help make up at least some of the rest of it.

Date: April 14, 2008 08:46PM

DeltaOne81
KeithK

If that defrayed most of Age's cost, I would prefer that too. But I know that even after those who contribute (and yes, I do), Age still swallows substantial costs to run eLynah, so I would not begrudge him some reasonable ads to help make up at least some of the rest of it.
The tip jar comment was really directed at the general readership. Not trying to single you out (though it sure reads that way).

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2008 09:24PM

DeltaOne81
What Fred said.

Date: April 15, 2008 01:17AM

KeithK
(Have you hit the tipjar lately?)
I buy Age beer occasionally. Does that count?

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.slkc.qwest.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 03:38AM

Josh '99
RichH
I took a picture of St. Lawrence Jersey Tucked Into Jeans Guy. Not as funny as Shirtless Painted Chest Hockey Helmet Harvard Guy but still pretty good.

are you referring to the ones that came to Lynah this year? The most amusing (and confusing) aspect of those guys was that they painted their chests with Princeton colors. At least, that was how it looked from section A. Though perhaps this has already been commented on, I recall being too depressed to red through the post game thread after that game.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2008 03:41AM by evilnaturedrobot.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2008 07:01AM

metaezra
RichH

I found out about the eLF when it was suddenly there in place of the CHDF. But I have no idea how I found out about the CHDF. Through Hockey-L, maybe?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 15, 2008 08:19AM

Josh '99
KeithK
(Have you hit the tipjar lately?)
I buy Age beer occasionally. Does that count?

That's the tippler jar.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 12:33PM

KeithK
DeltaOne81
The tip jar comment was really directed at the general readership. Not trying to single you out (though it sure reads that way).

Understood. Still, my point is that the 'tipjar' doesn't cover anything close to all of Age's cost. I wish it did, but as it doesn't, I wouldn't resent advertising.

Date: April 15, 2008 12:57PM

jtwcornell91
metaezra
RichH

I found out about the eLF when it was suddenly there in place of the CHDF. But I have no idea how I found out about the CHDF. Through Hockey-L, maybe?
Probably word of mouth, especially if you were in country and attended some games around that time. I know I heard about it straight from Kyle.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: April 15, 2008 01:03PM

KeithK
jtwcornell91
metaezra
RichH

Probably word of mouth, especially if you were in country and attended some games around that time. I know I heard about it straight from Kyle.
I believe when CHDF first started, it was posted on the Clarkson Roundtable, where many eLves were posting before there was a Cornell board. Sometimes to engage in friendly banter, mostly to antagonize Goldie Knight and Bob Mulligan (maybe that was just me).

When Cornellians left the Roundtable for CHDF the Roundtable foundered and collapsed, though it appears to have revived itself.

Posted by: Robb (---.gradacc.ox.ac.uk)
Date: April 15, 2008 01:28PM

ugarte
When Cornellians left the Roundtable for CHDF the Roundtable foundered and collapsed, though it appears to have revived itself.

It also happened to coincide with a time that Clarkson's on-ice fortunes were not quite so rosy - end of the Morris era, etc. Exodus of the eLFers didn't help, I'm sure, but there were a variety of reasons for the decline. N.B. that it's "reviving" now that Clarkson's playing some good hockey again.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: April 15, 2008 01:31PM

KeithK
You were one of the few Cornell hockey fans I knew before starting the CHDF.

So many good times. Like meeting with Andy Noel to discuss the profanity issue? Good lord, what was I thinking? And how about nearly spitting in that poor woman's face on the engineering parking lot bridge? Ah... the memories. :-)

Kyle

Date: April 15, 2008 01:46PM

evilnaturedrobot
Josh '99
RichH

are you referring to the ones that came to Lynah this year? The most amusing (and confusing) aspect of those guys was that they painted their chests with Princeton colors. At least, that was how it looked from section A. Though perhaps this has already been commented on, I recall being too depressed to red through the post game thread after that game.
I don't know if it's the same guy. There's a picture of Shirtless Painted Chest Hockey Helmet Harvard guy online somewhere but I can't find it.

This is St. Lawrence Jersey Tucked Into Jeans Guy, seen in Denver this weekend:

Date: April 15, 2008 01:50PM

krose
So many good times. Like meeting with Andy Noel to discuss the profanity issue? Good lord, what was I thinking?
Ah yes, we sure settled that issue!

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: April 15, 2008 04:55PM

Josh '99
I don't know if it's the same guy. There's a picture of Shirtless Painted Chest Hockey Helmet Harvard guy online somewhere but I can't find it.

I found it in a post that you made on the "Harvard Sucks" thread.

Posted by: evilnaturedrobot (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 06:23PM

Josh '99
evilnaturedrobot
Josh '99
RichH

This is St. Lawrence Jersey Tucked Into Jeans Guy, seen in Denver this weekend:

Oh, these appear to be different characters. The guys who came to Lynah this year painted H and U on their chests in Orange and Black. One of them also wore a horned viking helmet. It was perplexing, to say the least...

Re: eLFers at the Frozen4_FYI stolen credit card #
Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 09:24PM

FYI..

I just got a call from AMEX saying that someone has been using my credit card number for purchases made in NYC the same time I was in Denver.

Those of you who were there saw the "dorky" travel pouch I wore around my neck that contained my ID, money and credit card. The only time my AMEX card was out of my sight was when I was paying for a meal.

So if you were out in Denver, you might want to check your credit card and charge history.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2008 10:04PM

Rita
The only time my AMEX card was out of my sight was when I was paying for a meal.
I'm told that in most if not all European countries now servers in restaurants cannot take your credit card away from the table when charging your bill.

Date: April 15, 2008 10:33PM

Al DeFlorio
Rita
The only time my AMEX card was out of my sight was when I was paying for a meal.
I'm told that in most if not all European countries now servers in restaurants cannot take your credit card away from the table when charging your bill.
I'm not aware of what the laws are, but while I was over there last November I noticed that restaurants did use mobile card readers that they brought to the table. Seems to make sense.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 16, 2008 01:20AM

Al DeFlorio
Rita

In Germany it seems that most places just don't take credit cards. :-} But you can with a bank card in a lot of places, and I have seen the mobile card reader, which also allows you to type in your PIN at the table. (Conversely, when you sign for things instead of using a PIN, the Germans never give you your card back until you sign and they check the signature.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 16, 2008 11:23AM

Those mobile card readers are also generally the norm in Mexico.

Date: May 02, 2008 03:09PM

mnagowski
Google AdSense is fairly non-offensive. Although I shudder to think what type of ads we may be subject to with the mention of syphilis in the Spelling Guide.
Humor me for the offseason. There is a small Google ads div below the PayPal Donate button on the right, when viewing posts (not the index or thread list). I'm curious to see if it generates anything appreciable, so if you're bored, clicky! =]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login