Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Seeking a Solution: Watching Home Games at the Cornell Club

Posted by fightmaimkill 
Seeking a Solution: Watching Home Games at the Cornell Club
Posted by: fightmaimkill (---.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:57PM

I have been corresponding with the events manager of the Cornell Club about trying to get Redcast home feeds of Cornell hockey games broadcast at the Cornell Club (NYC). She told me that there is a great deal of reticence on the part of the IT manager because the picture/stream is so bad when it is enlarged and projected on to a large flat screen.

My question to the technophiles out there is whether there is a solution to this problem. Any ideas?

My apologies if this has already been explored on this board.

Re: Seeking a Solution: Watching Home Games at the Cornell Club
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 10:16PM

My solution would be for CC NYC to talk to athletics about how important this could be for alumni relations. That kind of info might help to get a better broadcast. As far as improving the current feed, I'm no expert, but the phrase, modified for general use, junk in, junk out, comes to mind.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 11:35AM

I don't know much about how redcast works, but the feed obviously comes from cameras in Lynah. I don't see why the feed couldn't be sent closed-circut to TVs at the Cornell Club without having to simply project the stream from the internet.

This, of course, would require an agreement between athletics and the CCNY, which is a private organization.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 01:13PM

Jim Hyla
As far as improving the current feed, I'm no expert, but the phrase, modified for general use, junk in, junk out, comes to mind.
Disagree. The video camera and the person controlling it are one part of the problem, but one that is independent of stream quality.

I do know how streaming works, and they could easily improve the stream quality by switching to a more modern codec and upping the bitrate. h.264 (a variant of MPEG4) at 544x368 is approximately 1.2mbps. This is only a little more than twice the current bitrate, and is something most end users (including most of those on DSL) can support; and is also not mutually exclusive with a lower-bitrate stream for those on <=1mbps DSL.

Doing this would make watching a full-screen or wall-size stream acceptable, if not quite as good as SDTV. Imagine MLB.tv, only better: if that's acceptable quality to you, then this solution would be at least as good.

Kyle

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 03:45PM

krose
...cmbrmaks.akamai.com...

Blah blah h.264 blah MPEG4 blah 544x368 blah blah 1.2mbps.

Well if you're so smart why don't you do it yourself :-P

Date: March 25, 2008 05:33PM

krose
I do know how streaming works, and they could easily improve the stream quality by switching to a more modern codec and upping the bitrate. h.264 (a variant of MPEG4) at 544x368 is approximately 1.2mbps. This is only a little more than twice the current bitrate, and is something most end users (including most of those on DSL) can support; and is also not mutually exclusive with a lower-bitrate stream for those on <=1mbps DSL.

Doing this would make watching a full-screen or wall-size stream acceptable, if not quite as good as SDTV. Imagine MLB.tv, only better: if that's acceptable quality to you, then this solution would be at least as good.

Kyle

How expensive/practical would this be to do?

Date: March 25, 2008 05:52PM

fightmaimkill
How expensive/practical would this be to do?

Don't know. The added bandwidth might mean it comes at a higher cost to subscribers (though probably not anywhere near 2x). The h.264 codec probably has patent royalties associated with it, but for the subscriber base Cornell is looking at that may be negligible. I think the missing links are merely will and technical know-how on their end, not cost.

Kyle

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.c3-0.nmex-ubr1.lnh-nmex.md.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 10:08PM

There's also the issue of space at the Cornell Club. The Tap and Grill isn't big enough for much of a crowd (not to mention it doesn't really fit the environment), plus, technically speaking, you have to be a member (or a guest of one) to dine there. There are meeting spaces upstairs, but I don't see them being devoted to this sort of thing, unfortunately. As someone pointed out, it's a private club.

Date: March 26, 2008 10:32AM

As a member, I'd like to try and run this up the pole to get it done. It is true that we may not be hearing, "It's all your fault!" in there anytime soon, but there have been times when they have replayed Cornell football games in the Grill. It seems to me that we can find a way to get this done if there is enough membership interest.

At the very least, if we can convince the Redcast folks to improve the video quality, what's the worst that happens? People at home have a better viewing experience? That's an outcome I'm willing to accept.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 11:15AM

fightmaimkill
At the very least, if we can convince the Redcast folks to improve the video quality, what's the worst that happens?
They could jack the prices up even more.

Date: March 26, 2008 11:24AM

KeithK
They could jack the prices up even more.
Here's the cost breakdown for me:

Seeing 2 home games live:
$15/ticket = $30
700 miles @ 27 mpg @ $3.45/gallon = $90
2 nights hotel @ $70/night = $140
Total: $260

Seeing 2 home games on the internet at the current cost:
$7/game = $14
Total: $14, not including the cost of my broadband or computer, which I'd already own anyway

While there are intangibles about going to Lynah that are clearly much more than 20x better than watching over the intertubes, a better internet viewing experience is worth a bunch to me and still much, much cheaper than a weekend trip (with all the unproductive time spent in the car) to get the real thing.

Kyle

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 11:34AM

krose
While there are intangibles about going to Lynah that are clearly much more than 20x better than watching over the intertubes, a better internet viewing experience is worth a bunch to me and still much, much cheaper than a weekend trip (with all the unproductive time spent in the car) to get the real thing.
I'm not saying that it isn't worth the money to many folks. I'm just saying that increased cost would be a negative. It's not clear that an increased cost would be worth the cost, especially since I'm not putting numbers to my speculation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login