Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Samaritan Cornell players

Posted by sah67 
Samaritan Cornell players
Posted by: sah67 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 11:22AM

From today's Albany Times-Union:

[www.timesunion.com]

Re: Samaritan Cornell players
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: March 14, 2008 11:29AM

Times Union
Thankfully, as my car rested on a 45-degree angle, four Canadian members of the Big Red hockey team came to my aid.

The American hockey players nearby sat by an laughed? Sounds like a Minnesota fan (or bothman) complaining that Cornell is a bunch of Canadians.

Incidentally, at the Beanpot a few weeks ago a Harvard fan in front of me explained to me how H could never keep up with BC because BC just goes out and gets Canadians (implying strongly that such a practice was tantamount to cheating). Lo and behold, there are more Canadians on H than BC...

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 12:21PM

Chris '03
Times Union
Thankfully, as my car rested on a 45-degree angle, four Canadian members of the Big Red hockey team came to my aid.

The American hockey players nearby sat by an laughed? Sounds like a Minnesota fan (or bothman) complaining that Cornell is a bunch of Canadians.

Incidentally, at the Beanpot a few weeks ago a Harvard fan in front of me explained to me how H could never keep up with BC because BC just goes out and gets Canadians (implying strongly that such a practice was tantamount to cheating). Lo and behold, there are more Canadians on H than BC...
Heh. Harvard's problem isn't that BC goes out and gets Canadians, Harvard's problem is that BC (along with BU and UNH) gets all the good New England players. EVERYONE recruits Canadians.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: March 14, 2008 12:34PM

Josh '99
...Harvard's problem is that BC (along with BU and UNH) gets all the good New England players.

That, of course, might also be a Cornell problem. :-/

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 12:35PM

Times Union
Unable to make it up the incline on College Street(sic), I was forced to turn left down Cook Street. My car slalomed down the hundred feet or so on the steep decline and I was headed toward my third accident on assignment in the past six months (Jeff Gordon, I'm not.)

So he decided the slope of Cook looked better than College Ave? Not quite the quickest one is he...:-P

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 01:55PM

ithacat
Josh '99
...Harvard's problem is that BC (along with BU and UNH) gets all the good New England players.

That, of course, might also be a Cornell problem. :-/
I'm assuming you're talking about NYS players rather than New England players? I don't really expect Cornell to be able to draw many New England players with all the college choices there already are out in that area, but upstate NY guys (Lee Stempniak, say) might be a good group to be able to recruit.

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 02:23PM

Josh '99
I don't really expect Cornell to be able to draw many New England players with all the college choices there already are out in that area, but upstate NY guys (Lee Stempniak, say) might be a good group to be able to recruit.

Dartmouth seems to do a pretty good job drawing kids from the Buffalo area (Stempniak and Mike Devine come to mind immediately).

Now if only Cornell could have landed Patrick Kane...

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 14, 2008 02:30PM

metaezra
Josh '99
I don't really expect Cornell to be able to draw many New England players with all the college choices there already are out in that area, but upstate NY guys (Lee Stempniak, say) might be a good group to be able to recruit.

Dartmouth seems to do a pretty good job drawing kids from the Buffalo area (Stempniak and Mike Devine come to mind immediately).

Now if only Cornell could have landed Patrick Kane...
Or Dustin Brown...

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 07:00PM

Chris '03
Incidentally, at the Beanpot a few weeks ago a Harvard fan in front of me explained to me how H could never keep up with BC because BC just goes out and gets Canadians...
That spinning sound you hear is Snooks Kelley...

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 11:47PM

Al DeFlorio
Chris '03
Incidentally, at the Beanpot a few weeks ago a Harvard fan in front of me explained to me how H could never keep up with BC because BC just goes out and gets Canadians...
That spinning sound you hear is Snooks Kelley...

For those too young to know; BC used to be as bad as Minny, and would never have stooped so low as to have a Canadian on their team.

Posted by: redice (---.154.218.8.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 05:33PM

Chris '03

That's very funny!! 35-40 year ago, I had a Harvard fan sitting behind me at the ECAC's in the Gahden. He ragged & ragged about Cornell being a bunch of "canucks" and that that was the only way they could win. My answer: "Yep, eat your heart out!!" End of discussion!! Yes, The Red did win that tourney.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 19, 2008 12:43PM

redice
35-40 year ago, I had a Harvard fan sitting behind me at the ECAC's in the Gahden. He ragged & ragged about Cornell being a bunch of "canucks" and that that was the only way they could win.

I never understood this Harvard Athletics supporters' aversion to embracing the fact that both of our schools have international appeal and significant international enrollment. That 16.5% of Cornell's enrollment is international (from 122 countries), and 19.6% of Harvard's enrollement (from 141 countries). That Canadians comprise the largest international group at Harvard and the 2nd largest at Cornell (2nd to S. Korea). And some fans want to exclude those students from intercollegiate athletics? They only want Americans pulling on a Harvard jersey?? To have their team not be an example of the diversity and cultural breadth that is representative of their institution? I'm proud that people from all over the world attend my alma mater and bring part of their skill and culture into my university's community...be it hockey, badminton, or musical prowess.

It would be downright unfair to tell a Canadian student that he can't play hockey because...well..."yer a Canuck."

I know, I know...it's an over-idealized picture, given practices in intercollegiate athletics today, but it usually shuts muttering fans up. :-)

Posted by: mnagowski (---.bflony.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2008 12:49PM

The sad thing is that people have been lamenting about Cornell's Canadian hockey players for half a century:

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.fifi.org)
Date: March 19, 2008 03:04PM

Eliot was "from" Australia.

Doug Murray is a Swede.

I am proud that Cornell hockey team has been international beyond Canadian. Besides, what is wrong with having Canadian student-athletes? Schafe is from Canada and thank goodness for that!

Posted by: redice (---.154.222.167.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 19, 2008 03:12PM

CU at Stanford
Elliott was "from" Australia.

Doug Murray is a Swede.

I am proud that Cornell hockey team has been international beyond Canadian. Besides, what is wrong with having Canadian student-athletes? Schafer is from Canada and thank goodness for that!

FYP (Well, some of it.) Eliot would be Darren. Elliott would be Jason. :-D
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2008 03:14PM by redice.

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.fifi.org)
Date: March 19, 2008 03:21PM

Fair enough...I do mean Jason (and you know it).

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: March 19, 2008 03:43PM

metaezra
The sad thing is that people have been lamenting about Cornell's Canadian hockey players for half a century:

That article keeps referring to the implication that the Cornell players will end up as farmers out in the boondocks and often refers to some guy named Dryden.

What a loser he turned out to be after hockey. :)

There is also the MD who advertises on the radio during games as being a member of this squad. I am sure that we can come up with many other examples of fine button-down professionals from this era.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login